How can I permanently delete emails?

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Email sync

I alway read my email on my PC then delete when finished. But my phone does not delete the emails I always have to go to my phone every other day to delete emails that should already be deleted. But are still on my phone

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Email sync

Are you set up as "pop" account on either device?

"imap" protocol is the correct setup for folder being the same in every device.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Check the setup from your pc. If its setup using POP protocol, delete the account and set it up again using IMAP.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

hotmail is a web based mail I have no control on how it is set up. It is my microsoft account that is linked to the store.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Hotmail (old name for Outlook.com) is an email service. It is not 'web based', but rather can be accessed via web, pop3, imap4 or MS's Exchange system. The most usual method through MS products is via the Exchange system. The emails are stored on the MS server and you can download them to your PC through many email programs. If you set your email program to delete from both the server and the PC it will do both. If set just to delete from your PC it will do only as you ask. You can set the options on the account online (the server) to ignore your PC's requests to delete from the server too if you wish.

Assuming you are using an Exchange based client (Outlook or Windows Mail clients will usually default to Exchange) and you have not messed with the server settings it will sync, but not always immediately. If you sync manually you can force the issue. If you tend to delete emails then shut down straight away your PC may not have chance to sync. Also, when starting your phone, it will take a short while before it syncs in turn. Again, you can force the matter if you wish.

I suspect you have a very basic understanding of how email works OP, from your posts. You may really benefit from reading up on this topic in many ways. It is pretty interesting and useful. Best wishes on your voyage of discovery!

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for enlightening thoughtful reply, I will have to look into what you said but I do not use an Email client. I use my web browser on either of my 2 PC's An go directly to Outlook.com and sighn into my account directly and read my email from there. The problem maybe that deleted emails are deleted from the inbox. Then move to the deleted page held on a couple pages which holds 59 emails the overflow then gets permanently deleted so that maybe where the problem is.
Thankyou

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for enlightening thoughtful reply, I will have to look into what you said but I do not use an Email client. I use my web browser on either of my 2 PC's An go directly to Outlook.com and sighn into my account directly and read my email from there. The problem maybe that deleted emails are deleted from the inbox. Then move to the deleted page held on a couple pages which holds 59 emails the overflow then gets permanently deleted so that maybe where the problem is.
Thankyou

When you delete through webmail, this is directly deleting on the server (not on your PC). If you access the webmail via your phone web browser it will show the same as on your PC through the browser.

The email app on your phone is an email client however and will operate as I describe. It will sync on its own, but not always the instant you turn it on. Assuming you have set it up in the default manner (not accessing via POP3 or IMAP4) it will use the Exchange system. You should find that forcing a sync will cause it to reflect the email as on the server (like your webmail shows it). It will do this on its own if you leave it, but forcing it will reassure you. Deleted emails will be in your Trash folder on your phone as in your webmail, in the same way that your Inbox will show matching content. All folders will sync at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes