Heard a lot of phones bricking in technical preview. What happens and why it happens?
    gpobernardo likes this.
    06-24-2015 01:49 PM
    Bad OS registers, Bad OS files, blacklisted device hardware on downgrade, Failure for device drivers on downgrade, Failure of device drivers on upgrade.

TOO many reasons, hence why it's a Technical Preview. Bugs are to be expected.
    Bad OS registers, Bad OS files, blacklisted device hardware on downgrade, Failure for device drivers on downgrade, Failure of device drivers on upgrade.

TOO many reasons, hence why it's a Technical Preview. Bugs are to be expected.
    06-24-2015 02:13 PM
    If I knew that I would not tell you but apply for a job at Microsoft.

Actual the number of phones which are really bricked is "reasonable" but if your phone got bricked you probably do not agree.

A few weeks ago specially older lower spec phones got bricked during the rolling back due to a not optimal recovery tool. WPRT started with version 2.00 and now it's already 2.1.1 so Microsoft keeps optimizing the tool.

At the moment we get more posts where the rolling back does "not" work because the WPRT can "not" be installed or the phone is not "recognized" due to a "bad" contact somewhere between the phone and the PC. And this "bad" contact is really a very frustrating for the ones which have this problem.
    Now without really blaming the people, who can not roll back due to above issues, this could have been prevented by first testing the recovery tool before upgrading to W10.
    06-24-2015 02:27 PM
    Is a bricked phone permanent?

Are there cases where a phone bricked by software is unrecoverable?
    06-24-2015 03:16 PM
    Is a bricked phone permanent?

Are there cases where a phone bricked by software is unrecoverable?
    As long as the bricking is not due to a hardware defect, no, it's recoverable. The real question is if it's recoverable by the average Joe, or if it requires more specialized tools and knowledge. That depends largely on what the OEM has decided to provide to the public.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-2015 04:37 PM
    So is there any way that your phone can be bricked from windows 10 mobile or the rollback from windows 10 for phones that you cannot recover from?

I want to try windows X, and don't plan on keeping on whatever phone I test it on, but I don't want to if there is a chance that my phone could potentially pass away permanently
    06-24-2015 05:10 PM
    So is there any way that your phone can be bricked from windows 10 mobile or the rollback from windows 10 for phones that you cannot recover from?

I want to try windows X, and don't plan on keeping on whatever phone I test it on, but I don't want to if there is a chance that my phone could potentially pass away permanently
    If you're concerned, then just don't try the TP. We cannot make any promises.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    a5cent and Kris Simundson like this.
    06-24-2015 05:15 PM