08-01-2015 06:13 AM
116 1234 ...
tools
    The best answer I could guess at this point is that. They wanted to focus on the mid range lower cost market because they new what they had in store for windows 10, which should be able to support the highest end. My hope is that once windows 10 phone finally releases that we will have a flagship that will truly have first class hardware that can match or beat the specs of any android flagship.
    07-07-2015 02:24 PM
    LOL! Majority of people buying phones don't do research. They buy what's on the table and how the seller do their sales pitches. If people do their research before buying the phone, they have found out that the quality of the phone they are buying is sub par to its price even if it is cheap. They should have found out that most of the low end phones that is more popular now are really crappy. I know, I have seen them in the service centers.
    People blindly go by the numbers in the specification but doesn't have any idea what is the advantage of 810 over 800, and if the phone really have the edge having the 810 processor.
    920Walker and neo158 like this.
    07-07-2015 02:26 PM
    Amen to that. The new flagships coming out better be things of beauty with some really amazing things on offer design wise. Look at the latest galaxy (edge in particular) and the lg g4; they're beautiful. If MS releases plain ol' slabs similar to icon, etc they will be doomed to failure right out of the gate. They refinery need a "wow factor."
    Have you seen the Turing phone, or the Blackberry one? Both look phenomenal to me. I can't help but think MS will fumble the 940. I have noted some strong hints that it may be a blend of the 830 and 640.
    07-07-2015 02:43 PM
    I just looked them up after seeing your post. The Turing isn't necessarily my cup of tea, design wise, but it is a beauty and it's certainly eye-catching. That new android blackberry looks great, too.

Hoping for a super sexy MS flagship phone that can sit proudly next to the latest iphones, galaxy's and G4s of the world.

And, even if it doesn't "need it need it," it does need the latest and greatest processor, too. No question about it. If they're gonna sell it as premium, it needs to look the part, spec-wise. Simple as that.

Bring it Microsoft!
    07-07-2015 03:38 PM
    People who do proper research before buying phones cares. It's not about what's enough, it's about future proofing the phones.
    We all did proper research before we bought our phones, unless you're stating that WP users are idiots and we didn't do our research first?

If this were Android we were talking about then that would be true. However, we're talking about WP and Microsoft have stated that ALL WP8.1 devices can upgrade to W10M, it's up to the manufacturers to provide the update for their phones but we know for sure that the Lumia range WILL get the update.
    07-07-2015 04:29 PM
    Ignorance. Nobody can deny that Windows Phone can run better even on older SoC, and having latest SoC is redundant, but that's only after they actually try the phone. Microsoft fails to see this trend in market, even non techies know that bigger number is better. I don't know about other market but here, Lumia phone have half the specifications for similar price. Those Chinese phone are really dead cheap, and no, not some shady brand but the big ones, Lenovo, Xiaomi, etc. Most people prefer an Octa Core and 2GB RAM phone from these brand instead of a quad core and 1GB RAM Lumia 640, which cost 30% more. They don't even understand differences between SoC, what they know is SD410>SD400, Octa-core>Quad-Core, 2GB>1GB, for only 70% of the price. No contract, fully unlocked. This happen in low end and mid end market, which is where Microsoft seemingly spend their effort the most, but just don't do well enough, and won't, unless their strategy changed.
    trivishal and caesar500 like this.
    07-07-2015 05:05 PM
    I just looked them up after seeing your post. The Turing isn't necessarily my cup of tea, design wise, but it is a beauty and it's certainly eye-catching. That new android blackberry looks great, too.

Hoping for a super sexy MS flagship phone that can sit proudly next to the latest iphones, galaxy's and G4s of the world.

And, even if it doesn't "need it need it," it does need the latest and greatest processor, too. No question about it. If they're gonna sell it as premium, it needs to look the part, spec-wise. Simple as that.

Bring it Microsoft!
    Amen to that!

I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would want anything but the best processor in a flagship. The argument that WP is "buttery smooth" drives me potty. Sure, there are elements of the OS that run real smooth and zippy, but don't tell me my 920 has the quickest camera, the quickest app performance. I can hear the cries now "but Peachy001, your 920 is over 2yrs old you can't expect it to open the camera app in a flash". Surely that backs up the argument for getting the best specs now, because I may be bunking up with it for at least 2yrs. The fact is, the people that demand the best specs do it because they want something that will encode and upload videos quickly, do all the demanding tasks with ease.

The clue is in the names:
    Top of the range
    Mid range
    Low end

The notion that Android "needs" the specs, but we don't is crazy. We need to be able to capture the good will of the tech journalists and tech types. "but normal users don't buy based on specs", my father does not buy on specs, but he was rocking a 3310 until two years ago. But normal people are swayed by salesmen. The trouble is some knowledge does trickle down from the journalists and the geeks. Family members will often pick up bits from hearing me or others say odd bits. They will listen to the people at the store that told them it did exactly what they need based on it having a "superfast" processor or "tons" of storage, or it is the "latest" model with the newest chips. If you are buying wine/chees/classic cars or works of art then you can be forgiven for aiming for the older product. If you are buying tech, then you want the newest and latest.

If I am locking myself into a 2yr contract, then you can bet your mortgage on me wanting something that will age slowly and be cutting edge for as much of that two years as possible.

Will MS use the 820 Snapdragon in the Cityman or Talkman? Not in my opinion, but I wish they would. They could certainly do with the kudos.
    07-07-2015 05:24 PM
    well, the S410 is nothing better than S400 except the 64bit compatibility.

Most budget phone do not have over 1-2GB, so there's no benefit in using the new chipset.

The Cortex A-53 in S410 is pretty useless, nothing really stand out compare to S400, better wait for the next Gen, maybe a S430 with Cortex A-72
    xandros9, RafRol and Viktar H like this.
    07-08-2015 08:56 AM
    Anybody know about Snapdragon 610 processor? Just curious why it's not out even after it's announcement a year ago
    07-08-2015 09:33 AM
    If BLU can create not 1 but 2 windows phones using the snapdragon 410 cpu and make them affordable being a small company compared to MS then MS should be able to do the same at a lower price point. Not sure they have a clear plan for the direction of their phone business. Hope they come up with a great flagship for WP 10 or they will really start to loose market share and loyal users.
    trivishal and 920Walker like this.
    07-08-2015 10:09 AM
    I know that's the party line and all, but the guys who actually test phones beg to differ:

System Performance - The Microsoft Lumia 640 Review

Dead last not just on some arcane benchmarks, but on actual browser performance.
    07-08-2015 12:09 PM
    Why Microsoft is using old snapdragon processor ( such as old snapdragon 200 instead of snapdragon 210 on lumia 540, old snapdragon 400 instead of new snapdragon 410 in Lumia 640) . Which processors do you think that Lumia 740 and 840 would support? I expect Snapdragon 610 processor for Lumia 740 and Snapdragon 620 processor for Lumia 840 would be great? What do you think ? And I have heard Snapdragon 615 processor heats a lot and not so nice performance giving mid range processor? Should Lumia Smartphones skip this Snapdragon 615 processor in mid range smartphones?
    They still use them because they perform well
    neo158 and colinkiama like this.
    07-08-2015 12:20 PM
    well, the S410 is nothing better than S400 except the 64bit compatibility.

Most budget phone do not have over 1-2GB, so there's no benefit in using the new chipset.

The Cortex A-53 in S410 is pretty useless, nothing really stand out compare to S400, better wait for the next Gen, maybe a S430 with Cortex A-72
    The 410 runs cooler, has a better radio, and better graphics. The fact it's not used in the 640 or 640 xl is a joke. It should have been the bare minimum in these devices. My new zte maven has a 410 and it's a $50 phone. Works quite well also!
    trivishal likes this.
    07-08-2015 12:50 PM
    My new zte maven has a 410 and it's a $50 phone. Works quite well also!
    Because they have to use it to run lollipop well without spending so much time on optimisation.
    neo158 likes this.
    07-08-2015 01:01 PM
    Because they have to use it to run lollipop well without spending so much time on optimisation.
    Well at least they went the extra mile on a $50 phone. Microsoft would rather put that extra couple of dollars they saved by using the old 400 in their pocket. It was a shame they used it in the 830 also. Maybe the next batch will show better judgement.
    07-08-2015 01:20 PM
    The 410 runs cooler, has a better radio, and better graphics. The fact it's not used in the 640 or 640 xl is a joke. It should have been the bare minimum in these devices. My new zte maven has a 410 and it's a $50 phone. Works quite well also!
    Good luck comparing the cameras/build quality though. Just a compromise I guess.
    Viktar H likes this.
    07-08-2015 04:35 PM
    Good luck comparing the cameras/build quality though. Just a compromise I guess.
    It's comparison about processor performance and use in various smartphones. Not about camera or build quality
    07-08-2015 06:45 PM
    Ignorance. Nobody can deny that Windows Phone can run better even on older SoC, and having latest SoC is redundant, but that's only after they actually try the phone. Microsoft fails to see this trend in market, even non techies know that bigger number is better. I don't know about other market but here, Lumia phone have half the specifications for similar price. Those Chinese phone are really dead cheap, and no, not some shady brand but the big ones, Lenovo, Xiaomi, etc. Most people prefer an Octa Core and 2GB RAM phone from these brand instead of a quad core and 1GB RAM Lumia 640, which cost 30% more. They don't even understand differences between SoC, what they know is SD410>SD400, Octa-core>Quad-Core, 2GB>1GB, for only 70% of the price. No contract, fully unlocked. This happen in low end and mid end market, which is where Microsoft seemingly spend their effort the most, but just don't do well enough, and won't, unless their strategy changed.
    It's simple, Microsoft needs to take a hit on hardware. SD810, 64GB RAM, 256GB on board storage, etc. 25 no contract. Then those Chinese manufacturers can't keep up.
    colinkiama likes this.
    07-08-2015 07:00 PM
    This sums up perfectly the problem of not having an aspiration device in the marketplace. Sure, save money by throwing last gen's processors in the low and even mid-range phones. Since that is all we see from Microsoft, it creates the image that the WP tech is a generation behind. I get it, the problem with being on the cutting edge in tech is its a moving target. What is brand new will be old, but we don't need seven flagships, we need one or two.
    trivishal likes this.
    07-08-2015 08:31 PM
    I'm thinking that by making phones having similar spec, developers will have only one target spec to optimize for. By this way old devices which use old chipsets (S4, 200, 400) can run new softwares smoothly. Just like the old days with PC when people thought they couldn't get much out of low specs PC until mobile devices with even lower specs come out, developers have to put more gray matter to optimize their softwares rather than "don't care" attitude toward low spec ones. Also, maybe that's why iPhone is faster than Android devices, since developers cannot get a super duper 2GB RAM iPhone to develop softwares, they have no choice but to optimize for 1GB ones.
    Mach_E and colinkiama like this.
    07-08-2015 08:38 PM
    I'm thinking that by making phones having similar spec, developers will have only one target spec to optimize for. By this way old devices which use old chipsets (S4, 200, 400) can run new softwares smoothly. Just like the old days with PC when people thought they couldn't get much out of low specs PC until mobile devices with even lower specs come out, developers have to put more gray matter to optimize their softwares rather than "don't care" attitude toward low spec ones. Also, maybe that's why iPhone is faster than Android devices, since developers cannot get a super duper 2GB RAM iPhone to develop softwares, they have no choice but to optimize for 1GB ones.
    If so, then why Windows phones have dual core snapdragon 200 processors, quad core snapdragon 200 processors, dual core snapdragon 400 processors, quad core snapdragon 400 processors, dual core snapdragon s4 processors, and snapdragon 800 processors? No, the Windows phones don't have Apple's Iphone strategy but Lumia Smartphones are being a generation behind by using old processors
    07-08-2015 08:55 PM
    I don't thing the future proofing argument holds any water for a couple reasons.

The people that care most about this are also the ones most likely to buy new phones every six months or so.

In two years the difference between a SD400 and an SD410 is going to seem so small you will not be able to tell the difference.

On a digital camera forum I remember someone trying to justify spending $100 more for a 1.3 MP camera vs a 1.0 MP camera for "future proofing" In a couple years the difference between the two were nonexistent.
    a5cent, Mach_E and 920Walker like this.
    07-08-2015 09:15 PM
    If so, then why Windows phones have dual core snapdragon 200 processors, quad core snapdragon 200 processors, dual core snapdragon 400 processors, quad core snapdragon 400 processors, dual core snapdragon s4 processors, and snapdragon 800 processors? No, the Windows phones don't have Apple's Iphone strategy but Lumia Smartphones are being a generation behind by using old processors
    The performance gaps between those chipsets, except with S800 vs others, are not large. So, the argument still hold.
    07-08-2015 10:07 PM
    I don't thing the future proofing argument holds any water for a couple reasons.

The people that care most about this are also the ones most likely to buy new phones every six months or so.

In two years the difference between a SD400 and an SD410 is going to seem so small you will not be able to tell the difference.

On a digital camera forum I remember someone trying to justify spending $100 more for a 1.3 MP camera vs a 1.0 MP camera for "future proofing" In a couple years the difference between the two were nonexistent.
    Not sure where you are from, but I have
    never met anyone that buys a new phone every 6 months. The future proofing bit is for those that would be stuck on a long 2 yr contract.
    07-09-2015 01:58 AM
    We all did proper research before we bought our phones, unless you're stating that WP users are idiots and we didn't do our research first?

If this were Android we were talking about then that would be true. However, we're talking about WP and Microsoft have stated that ALL WP8.1 devices can upgrade to W10M, it's up to the manufacturers to provide the update for their phones but we know for sure that the Lumia range WILL get the update.
    At no point in my comment did I state that windows phone users don't do proper research before buying phones, quit saying things I clearly did not state. It seems like you're not even on the same comment thread.
    07-09-2015 02:30 AM
116 1234 ...