08-01-2015 06:13 AM
116 12345
tools
    Two things:
    -user experience: use a lumia 930 and you'll see that windows phone does not need those little architecture increments that android needs, it is so fast and responsive, only a rich kid looks at the little CPU increment to brag about it with friends;
    -iPhones: iphones are the example that shows that, even on high end, aesthetics design, marketing and software feature are far more important than hardware. Iphones have had old hardware for years when compared to top Androids and yet they sell like hot cakes expecially in the US.
    07-09-2015 02:48 AM
    Having latest processors would make Lumia smartphones resulting performance boost and be in the line of the tech race. It doesn't feel nice when your friends Android phones have latest Snapdragon processors whereas you are stocked with one generation behind processors in Lumia Smartphones though the phones being launched at the same Time Frame. Sony, Xiaomi, LG may have Snapdragon 820 processor in their To Be launched Smartphones by Q4 2015 it won't be nice to use Old, well criticized not custom core Snapdragon 810 processor in Lumia 940XL or whatever Microsoft Mobile will call it in it's flagship device. Same goes for upcoming mid range Lumia 7** and 8** series smartphones.
    07-09-2015 06:26 AM
    Having latest processors would make Lumia smartphones resulting performance boost and be in the line of the tech race. It doesn't feel nice when your friends Android phones have latest Snapdragon processors whereas you are stocked with one generation behind processors in Lumia Smartphones though the phones being launched at the same Time Frame. Sony, Xiaomi, LG may have Snapdragon 820 processor in their To Be launched Smartphones by Q4 2015 it won't be nice to use Old, well criticized not custom core Snapdragon 810 processor in Lumia 940XL or whatever Microsoft Mobile will call it in it's flagship device. Same goes for upcoming mid range Lumia 7** and 8** series smartphones.
    You have a point. We do want Microsoft to use the 820 over the 810 but won't your friends feel bad Ehen they realise an 810 phone is running better than their phone running the 820. ;)
    07-09-2015 07:48 AM
    Look guys it doesn't matter that Microsoft aren't using the latest and greatest processors now. Imagine this. They release a budget phone with a snapdragon 410 now then for Windows 10 they have a 415 or 420 phone. There might not be that much difference between the two however the difference between a 400 and a 415/420 would be huge so it would be worth upgrading.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-09-2015 07:54 AM
    The Snapdragon 210 wasn't even announced until Sept. Not expected to hit devices in production until mid 2015. That leaves very little testing time considering the 540 was released in April.
    920Walker likes this.
    07-09-2015 08:48 AM
    It does suck that Modern Combat 5 lags like crazy on "high-end" Windows Phones (my Lumia Icon). For me, its not even about having specs just for specs, but having late hardware really does ruin the whole experience period. It's not JUST about what the OS needs to run, but some apps just need high-end specs.

Playing a game on an iPhone just makes me want to switch all the time because games just perform. Part of this is to blame on developers, but when Microsoft has developers hating them and giving them "crumbs" in the form of apps (Modern Combat 5) that aren't optimized, Microsoft needs to keep up and make up for the lack of quality software. Low-end devices, I get it, but there is no excuse for high-end Windows Phones to not have AT LEAST the same hardware as Android high-end devices.
    trivishal and 920Walker like this.
    07-09-2015 09:23 AM
    don't care how old it is. Even a lumia 520 that I used to use run smooth and fast enough if compare to Android phone such us Samsung Galaxy V with similar specs and similar price but ugly slow!
    07-09-2015 09:35 AM
    Why Microsoft is using old snapdragon processor ( such as old snapdragon 200 instead of snapdragon 210 on lumia 540, old snapdragon 400 instead of new snapdragon 410 in Lumia 640) . Which processors do you think that Lumia 740 and 840 would support? I expect Snapdragon 610 processor for Lumia 740 and Snapdragon 620 processor for Lumia 840 would be great? What do you think ? And I have heard Snapdragon 615 processor heats a lot and not so nice performance giving mid range processor? Should Lumia Smartphones skip this Snapdragon 615 processor in mid range smartphones?
    Think about how often Apple changes processors.

1 - Microsoft would need to modify their NT Kernel to do so.
    2 - Microsoft would need to add support in WP, possibly creating multiple development branches.
    3 - Historically speaking, 2. would mean that other phones would bite the dust (Lumia Camera 5, Miracast, etc).
    4 - Takes a lot of work to design a new logic board.
    5 - Microsoft could be getting a discount or they are sitting on many older chips.

It is much cheaper, faster, and easier to get a phone on the market with an already supported SoC. Goes through certifications with less issues, and many precisely developed components are at their disposal.

Androids kernel is open source, and their OS works differently. They literally read Java documentation and stole all their interfaces!
    920Walker and colinkiama like this.
    07-09-2015 09:53 AM
    arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

I dont want to see a premature hardware release on Lumias.
    Anyway I think only <10% of ppl buy by CPU specs.
    So if you need to compare CPUs like **** size, go for bleeding edge Android stuff.
    920Walker and pureview_lvr like this.
    07-09-2015 01:45 PM
    Perhaps it's the result of an anxiety.
    07-09-2015 02:39 PM
    Not sure where you are from, but I have
    never met anyone that buys a new phone every 6 months. The future proofing bit is for those that would be stuck on a long 2 yr contract.
    I am in the US, contract or no I know people that have to have every new flagship that comes out. My coworker said his son gets a new one about every 3 months.

I didn't think the UK did the two year contract thing.
    07-09-2015 03:40 PM
    Amen to that!

I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would want anything but the best processor in a flagship.
    Most people I know have absolutely no idea what processor is in their phone, just how the phone works for them. Around here people generally buy either an I-Phone or what ever Android the local Verizon store is pushing.
    FinancialP likes this.
    07-09-2015 03:44 PM
    You have a point. We do want Microsoft to use the 820 over the 810 but won't your friends feel bad Ehen they realise an 810 phone is running better than their phone running the 820. ;)
    That's doubtful even at the more optimistic side of the rumors. The new Kyros design should put Qualcomm back at the front of the pack as they were during the Krait era. The 810 today runs hot in every application it's found in, and the rumors of an updated less hot chip has yet to be seen, and I doubt the Lumia 940 will be much different when compared to anywhere else the 810 is found.

At the end of the day, the new Qualcomm 820 should prove to be a homerun by any standard with a GPU to boot. Keep in mind that Samsung isn't standing still, and will release their own homegrown ARM chip-set within a year or so. Your friends will be smug with their higher performing chip while you will be smug at the fact your hands will never go cold in the winter.

tl;dr: MS' development cycle seems to put their flagship devices right at the end of a chip generation. The 920 came at the end of the S4 era, the 930 came just in time for the 801 to be announced. The 940 appears to be on track to be released just as the Snadragon 820 comes to light. Thankfully Windows Phone OS appears to run well on most chip-sets... as it unsurprisingly should with MS' Qualcomm exclusivity usage.
    trivishal likes this.
    07-09-2015 03:48 PM
    As mentioned above, there's a long lead time on chips in terms of hardware development.

It takes a long time to design the phone's hardware and the SOC comes first. You can't really design a new handset and slap whatever current chip is available into it the same way you might do with a desktop setup.
    You really can't do that with a desktop either. Well, I mean, I guess if you're small scale you could but at the large scales we're talking about you don't do that with desktops either. I used to work in support for Dell. I've had some visibility of the engineering side too. When Intel comes out with a new chip they send samples to the big OEMs MONTHS in advance of when the new chip is released. It will be installed into test systems and used extensively for a long time, including in the real world by employees, before that ever sees the light.
    07-09-2015 04:55 PM
    After the disastrous SD810 overheating issue which plague the entire top end of all Android flagships I don't understand why anyone would still ask for unproven cutting edge SoCs.
    trivishal and 920Walker like this.
    07-09-2015 08:43 PM
    After the disastrous SD810 overheating issue which plague the entire top end of all Android flagships I don't understand why anyone would still ask for unproven cutting edge SoCs.
    Well, luckily one has the 808 which doesn't throttle nearly as much. It actually outperforms the 810 when throttling (for both) kicks in.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    07-09-2015 09:25 PM
    Both Snapdragon 615 and 810 processors heat too much, throttle down upon heating and were produced only to compete MEDIATEK OCTA- CORE PROCESSORS in MID RANGE AND HIGH END PHONES. That's why Qualcomm hasn't pushed Snapdragon 610 and 808 processors much to OEMs, and LG started to use Snapdragon 808 processor and there is no news of Snapdragon 610 to be in use even after it's announcement more than a year ago
    07-09-2015 11:11 PM
    Why all the talk about old Snapdragons when the basic reason is that new Snapdragon processors are 64 bit processors which I suppose Windows phone 8.1 doesn't support.
    07-10-2015 02:36 AM
    By using cheaper chip they can use the remain cost to another feature.

Such as camera, screen, Qi wireless, battery, bus speed.

As you know all Lumias with Sd card at least support 64GBcard while newer got 128. Even 430 had 128GB support. While some low end android devices only capable with 32GB.

430 did have glance even Galaxy S5 didn't have glance. And 735 has Qi Wireless while Asus ZenPhone doesn't. Lumia 535 has 5FFC and Rear + IPS screen while Galaxy V use TFT screen. And 540 has 8MP Rear Zeis, 5FFC, IPS Screen with 5Inch on really cheap prices.

Even iPhone chip isn't very badass and only has 1GB ram but it run great.

It just the OS isn't resources hunger so there is no point using more expensive chip. It's way better add more fungtion on devices
    07-10-2015 02:58 AM
    Using cheaper and older chips won't allow Microsoft Lumias to stay relevant in Smartphones though they can rest of the money in other poor quality hardware things
    07-10-2015 05:20 AM
    Why all the talk about old Snapdragons when the basic reason is that new Snapdragon processors are 64 bit processors which I suppose Windows phone 8.1 doesn't support.
    Every 64bit ARM SoC can run a 32bit OS and software. That's not a valid argument.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-10-2015 07:22 AM
    Let's end this thread now.
    1) It save money since they are using an older chipset
    2) They don't need to since these aren't any features in the OS yet that require new hardware.
    3) For Microsoft to support new chipsets, they have to update the whole OS so that it can be optimised for them.
    4) The reason why modern combat 5 is lagging is probably due to recent update. The iOS and android versions are using very new versions of openGL on the latest Phones whereas on windows, we are using the same modified direct x 11 since Windows phone 8. That's why their version looks better than ours. There was a benchmark on 2013/2014 which does that the 1520/930 were the best in game performance so a possible reason why the game is lagging is probably because of them not really optimising the game for the phone with that update. There are other games that are running well on the store with the flagship phones.
    07-10-2015 08:01 AM
    I think Microsoft have reasons for still powering their devices with this old SD 2, 4 and so no. But yet, window performance is very impressive compared to other Android run on higher SD. No matter the SD a device is run no, we should understand that we are in a business world. I don't think Microsoft see the fastness and smoothness to no the SD, but instead the OS.
    07-10-2015 08:58 AM
    For the time frame of Q3 and Q4 2015, Microsoft Mobile should use Snapdragon 610 processor in Lumia 740 and 840 optimized for Windows 10 Mobile just like what LG did with Snapdragon 808 processor. Latest hardware unused before but better than Octa core Snapdragon 615 and 810 processors in real life performance and no heating issues.
    07-10-2015 09:32 AM
    In Pakistan lumia 535 the first cheapest lumia became the best seller in Pakistan but no one knows that the phone have out dated snapdragon 200 processor and touch issues but in Pakistan the only thing people need is speeds and front camera lollxxx.
    but over all Microsoft knows the Pakistani market and designed lumia 535 ,435, 430 and 540
    07-11-2015 07:58 AM
116 12345