Why Microsoft is using old Snapdragon processors

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Lol, ok. Fails to break record means it's failing in sales?

I bet Microsoft wishes for 1/10 of those sales.

Samsung is bleeding money. Their attempt to take on Apple is failing. My point is, top of the line specs does not mean automatic success. Its just an opinion, don't be so serious.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Samsung is bleeding money. Their attempt to take on Apple is failing. My point is, top of the line specs does not mean automatic success. Its just an opinion, don't be so serious.

But, in this tech savvy world, everyone needs the latest hardware and greatest software; Every Smartphone OEM use the updated Processor, Apple updates it's every year same goes with Android smartphones in every price segment( low end, mid range and high end). Nobody loves to have old processors in their phones so that the Tech world tells in reviews that Lumia are with outdated specs and that changes the perception of viewers so they don't want to try these phones.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
But, in this tech savvy world, everyone needs the latest hardware and greatest software; Every Smartphone OEM use the updated Processor, Apple updates it's every year same goes with Android smartphones in every price segment( low end, mid range and high end). Nobody loves to have old processors in their phones so that the Tech world tells in reviews that Lumia are with outdated specs and that changes the perception of viewers so they don't want to try these phones.

Why does everyone NEED the latest hardware and the greatest software, I've never understood why so many people claim this without providing actual, solid proof as to why this is the case!!!!

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
You're fighting fire with fire. We're entering into an age where people don't care about specs, and they don't care about processors. The latest processors are not delivering the best experience. They are delivering a marginally better experience which is not worth the difference in price. I am not paying an extra $50, $100, or $150 for a better processor. If you are that is your business.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I got it. People using Windows phones especially Lumia are not interested in latest and greatest but rather content with low cost devices and low quality apps, which has made Lumias famous for their inexpensiveness and as the quality of hardware has plunged a lot since Lumia series of *20

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I got it. People using Windows phones especially Lumia are not interested in latest and greatest but rather content with low cost devices and low quality apps, which has made Lumias famous for their inexpensiveness and as the quality of hardware has plunged a lot since Lumia series of *20

A very small percentage of people hang out on forums like these or go to tech blogs. The vast majority of people, from my perspective, know nothing about specs. Apple, the most popular producer of smart phones, not only does not have top-of-the-line specs but doesn't advertise about specs. They advertise about the experience and that is what draws people to them like flies. Taking photos when out with your friends. Connecting to people. That is what people care about.

If I walked around my hospital where I work and asked coworkers what processor they have in their smart phone I would get nothing but blank stares.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

No.

Apple does not sell phones with the fastest processors and best specs. They sell functionality over raw specs.

The latest iPhone has about 2 year old specs. Still works for them when you don't look at the specs. And if you try pointing the low specs out, most iPhone users are 'i don't care'. Because users don't. Does it work and feel fast? They are happy.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Their bleeding money now? Lol.

First Samsung was failing because they didn't break their own record.

Now, their bleeding money when they make the most profits out of all OEMs who make Android phones.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Their bleeding money now? Lol.

First Samsung was failing because they didn't break their own record.

Now, their bleeding money when they make the most profits out of all OEMs who make Android phones.

OK, let me rephrase that. They are about to have their 7th quarter in a row of declining profits. Not exactly the direction you want them to be going if you were a shareholder, but maybe you're different.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
No.

Apple does not sell phones with the fastest processors and best specs. They sell functionality over raw specs.

The latest iPhone has about 2 year old specs. Still works for them when you don't look at the specs. And if you try pointing the low specs out, most iPhone users are 'i don't care'. Because users don't. Does it work and feel fast? They are happy.

What?n? They have some of the fastest processors out there. Look at the bench marks. They are always showcasing their latest and greatest processor. Where have you been?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why does everyone NEED the latest hardware and the greatest software, I've never understood why so many people claim this without providing actual, solid proof as to why this is the case!!!!
The common consensus is that most people do not spend hours of research when deciding which phone they will purchase. They choose what's best on paper. Would you expect anyone to pay the same amount of money for a seemingly inferior phone? Additionally, most if not all people desire the greatest, regardless of cost.

"Need" is defined as an absolute necessity for survival for human beings:

• In a world where nobody needed the latest hardware and the greatest software, would there be advances in hardware and software? Start with current phones and think of the next older phone. The only phone we would need would be the very first! Since the phones in discussion are smartphones, we would be stuck with the very first smartphone.
  • In a world where everybody needed the latest hardware and greatest software, would there be any motivation to manufacture low end phones running older software? Additionally, we would have smartphones running bleeding edge, unstable software with problematic hardware.
  • Conclusion: Nobody and Everybody doesn't need the latest hardware and greatest software.
EDIT: But the implications remain. There must be people who need the latest and greatest, and others who do not.

Sunny JK

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

Using outdated hardware that works very well with Windows Phone software makes sense. That's why low-end Windows Phone devices are so cheap. Microsoft is targeting countries of the Third World, such as India and Pakistan with cheap dual-sim phones.

On a side note, India is not a Third World country and nor is Pakistan, i think. :)

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
What?n? They have some of the fastest processors out there. Look at the bench marks. They are always showcasing their latest and greatest processor. Where have you been?

You can't compare different processors using different operating systems. That adds a massive extra variable.

The OS is mostly the reason for their benchmark results. Put the same SoC on an Android device and you'll see how they differ

Put a Snapdragon 805-820 on iOS and prepare to be amazed... Now Apple does use really good GPU's. I should point that out.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Apple's CPUs are actually really good too!

They just aren't soooo one-sided like the ones built into other "high-end" devices. Apple doesn't build their SoC to pander to enthusiasts via the spec sheet, but to provide what they deem to be the best balance between power usage and performance.

If consumers were actually tech savvy and could get past the simplistic best=biggest-core&clockrate-numbers, there would be an interesting discussion to be had over how (within a specific size and weight class) battery life factors into defining what is and what isn't high-end. That is rarely part of how people define "high-end", but I think Apple is right to balance both.

The only place Apple goes for "power, over efficiency" is the GPU, which IMHO provides the perfect combination of powerful vs power efficient SoC components. Apple is the only company with the luxury to design in this way, as everyone else is required to sell and market the specs consumers want, even if they end up leading to an overall poorer experience than what the iPhone offers.

What most enthusiasts completely miss, is that despite the way they look down on the iPhone's dual core 1.3GHz CPU, there is no game the iPhone can't run just as well or better than their specced-out Android devices.

That does make the whole specs-mania, as demonstrated by this thread, a bit comical, despite them admittedly being relevant from a marketing perspective.

On a side note: three years ago I predicted Apple would not be moving to quad-core CPUs anytime soon, partly due to the reasons mentioned above, which I think pretty much nobody believed at the time...

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying they are bad. They are great for what they need to run, I agree with you. I don't fall for the moar corez/moar clock speedz! Stuff. But we know iOS is way more efficient than Android and considering Snapdragon SoC can still compete with what Apple uses should say alot.

I will give props to how efficient Apple has maintained iOS anyday.

I would love to see an Android device running Apple's SoC or an iPhone running an SD808, but we will never see that direct comparison.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism