What's the best Lumia to buy for under $120 in 2015?

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 635, and I love it. However, i need a front facing camera to Skype with my relatives in California and i want at least 1 GB ram so i play all the games i want. I want a solid phone experience for not much money. I'm in college, and i just can't figure out which Lumia would be best to buy right now. I looked at the 640, because I'm with Cricket right now, but they said i would have to go into the store to get it since i would be upgrading. There just isn't a Cricket close enough to me for that. The 640 is 99.99 at Cricket right now, but i also see the 920, 925 and other older flagships for under $100 on eBay. If i could get an 830 for the price I'm looking for that would be great. I can only spend $120 including shipping. I need something with good cameras, good speed, good battery life, durable, at least Lumia Denim (preferably the version with live folders but not a deal breaker if not), and 4g lte on At&t gophone or Cricket. I see so many choices but i just don't know what the best is to be buying in this year. Would it be ok to buy an older flagship? Will they get Windows 10 and still run well? I'm just not sure what to pick. Thanks to anyone who helps!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 635, and I love it. However, i need a front facing camera to Skype with my relatives in California and i want at least 1 GB ram so i play all the games i want. I want a solid phone experience for not much money. I'm in college, and i just can't figure out which Lumia would be best to buy right now. I looked at the 640, because I'm with Cricket right now, but they said i would have to go into the store to get it since i would be upgrading. There just isn't a Cricket close enough to me for that. The 640 is 99.99 at Cricket right now, but i also see the 920, 925 and other older flagships for under $100 on eBay. If i could get an 830 for the price I'm looking for that would be great. I can only spend $120 including shipping. I need something with good cameras, good speed, good battery life, durable, at least Lumia Denim (preferably the version with live folders but not a deal breaker if not), and 4g lte on At&t gophone or Cricket. I see so many choices but i just don't know what the best is to be buying in this year. Would it be ok to buy an older flagship? Will they get Windows 10 and still run well? I'm just not sure what to pick. Thanks to anyone who helps!

640 is your best bet. While 925 is a great phone the battery life on it is not as great. Good luck. And yes if you can snag a 830 at that price it is a stellar deal. If you cannot, then the 640 is an amazing phone for the price.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The 830 tears the 640 apart, and lucky for you I have found an 830 refurbished on eBay ;)

Was gonna keep this ABSOLUTE STEAL to myself, but I'm not really interested, so why not share it with WinCentral

http://ebay.us/bCYpIT

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually gonna go with the 820. I got mine on eBay for $60 early this year, and it's a fantastically balanced phone.

High build quality, it's got the memory to see everything on the WP Store, PureView nets it a very decent camera plus that elusive little camera button, OLED - while a bit overkill - does provide some eye-popping colors, it's a great size... and as many have confirmed in the past, it's SDS4 actually handles gaming a lot better than the SD400 featured in my Lumia 635&830 (and, of course the 640).

About the only thing I dislike about the 820 as opposed to my SD400 powered devices is that it doesn't support wireless display. Outside of that, the 820 proved to be a device balanced enough to steal me away from the Lumia 930 and 1520.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
you hit the nail on the head with the 640 for your price point. It's basically a cheap 830, and I'm not sure the features that you would get on the 830 are worth the double to triple the price over the 640.

Other older flagships are definitely nice especially when considering the camera they usually have, but you'll give up battery life, screen size, and warranty. Also, you'll give up features that are available with the newer quad core processors that arent available with the older dual core processors. for instance, your 635 can do "motionsense", however, the 920/925 can't. for the record, i've loaded the win 10 TP on both a 920 and 925, and they both worked ok. i'm sure with the final build they'll work fine, too.

if you want to go refurb, you could consider a refurbished lumia 1520(assuming you aren't taken back from the size). this would probably be the absolute best windows phone for the at&t/cricket network at the time. I would almost side with a 640xl, though, since it's lighter, and generally available unlocked. I currently use the 640xl with windows 10 tp, and it works pretty well.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You can get a refurbished 830 on eBay right now for $130... I posted the link in my above comment... That's a much better deal than $120 for a 640 since 830>640... Your getting a lot more for only $10 more

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate forum...

As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/292973-who-should-post-ask-question-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

For what it is worth... worldspy has had a LOT of phones go through his hands. He's a bit of a Marketplace enthusiast and experienced horse trader... The deal bo_woods linked is pretty killer and very similar in price to what I was overjoyed to pay earlier this year for an 830. This is the same seller and I have no complaints about the refurbished 830 I bought from them. The small number they have will go FAST, trust me.

Also...Don't count Blu out. I had a 1st Gen Win HD for a bit (I'm kind of a horse trader myself :wink:). It is a pretty solid device for the money and right in your ballpark.

Smartphones | B&H Photo Video

Win HD (non-LTE) is $130, but Win Jr LTE is only $100.

If you can get an extra $10 wiggle room in your budget, it can make a big difference in getting a great deal.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, any thoughts about the 640's camera?

the camera will be a step up from your 635, but not as good as some of the pureview/OIS cameras. it also has a FFC, which can be useful. you'll still have the lumia camera, as well as lumia moments, which will be great for taking pictures and other post processing stuff.

While i really like the 925, i'd probably go for the 640 due again to the improvements in capability with the new chipset.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Between Lumia 920 and Lumia 640. I would go with the 640. Lumia 640 has great battery life and better display. It runs Windows 10 better. You'll probably be one of the first to get the Windows 10 update. Lumia 920 has wireless charging that is missing on Lumia 640. Lumia 920 has better low light camera and more advanced Glance. Lumia 920 is an old device. I doubt you'll get much software support after the Windows 10 update.

Last edited:

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Now I've decided I can wait a bit longer so ill save a little more, but I've found some Lumia 830s for about 160 to 180 something, so I'm looking at either that or the 640, which Cricket has for 99.99 but I discovered in store today that they also make me pay an upgrade fee of $25 (which I don't get because this is a PREPAID company) so that phone would cost me more than I though, around $130 something plus tax

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss