What's the best Lumia to buy for under $120 in 2015?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
If you can get your hands on an 830 for $130 I would strongly suggest hitting that. The look and feel are much more premium, the camera is better, it has a dedicated camera button, twice the internal memory (8GB is ridiculous in 2015, especially since some apps have started imposing restrictions regarding saving content to SD, such as the Here suite), and wireless charging builtin (Qi). However, it's certainly not worth twice or three times as much as the 640 given the rather similar specs. The $99 Cricket deal is also available online on microsoft.com: Microsoft Lumia 640 - Microsoft - USA

Not sure whether you really need to go to store, maybe you should look into that.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Depends on how much these features are worth to you, personally. To me it'd be worth it just because of the design. Personally, I don't like the looks of the 640 - I don't mind molded plastik back covers but it looks weird on phones this large, somehow reminds me of uber super cheap budget devices for $20. However, this is a matter of taste and style and obviously debatable and your mileage may/will vary.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you were looking for a premium device your options are the 920, 925, 928.
920:
  • Best build quality
  • Best loudspeaker
  • 32GB Storage
  • Less post processing sharpening, photos look more natural.
  • LCD
925:
  • Thinnest
  • Industrial design (Universally sexy)
  • Lacks wireless charging
  • Less storage
  • Yellowish photos
  • AMOLED
928:
  • Xenon flash!!
  • Inferior quality earpiece (tinny sound)
  • Has connectivity issues on USA GSM carriers, see SMS/MMS on 3G complaints.
  • AMOLED

Or you can opt for the 640, or possibly even the 830.
Only real pros to choosing either device is that they have SensorCore, Miracast, and possibly extended support.

I think you would enjoy the Lumia 920/925 the most. I am really surprised to see people who prefer the 640 over these phones :?

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Dunno which is "best" but I do know the 640 is a Sensor Core device which is a (very) nice feature for those in interested in counting steps for health tracking. I don't know if the other devices mentioned here have Sensor Core but it's easy enough to check and verify.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Or you can opt for the 640, or possibly even the 830.
Only real pros to choosing either device is that they have SensorCore, Miracast, and possibly extended support.

I think you would enjoy the Lumia 920/925 the most. I am really surprised to see people who prefer the 640 over these phones :?

I had a 920. Now have an 830. 920 was a better camera so will be better than 640. But... And to me its a big but. Battery life was bad on my 920. The SD400 based devices run longer. And provides things like Miracast and sensor core. And better wireless tech. And SD card.

So overall the 640 wins on a lot except perhaps style and camera.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
920 vs 830? I can a 920 for under 100 our an 830 for 150-175

If it were me I'd go 830. (and I'm trying to but its in MS's hands again for the time being)

Why?

Removable battery.
Battery life is a whole lot better. (I know my 920's battery is wearing out, being nearly two years old and all, but in the beginning it was nothing to write home about.)
SD card slot (less of a headache to move media to and from)
Camera still has OIS.
Its only a bit taller size-wise.

I haven't noticed a big difference in screen quality.
SensorCore
Did I mention battery life? That's reason #1 practically.

Although:
Glance and double-tap-to-wake seems a bit more finicky
Might not like the metal over plastic.

However the used 830 I got was a bit twitchy to begin with and is in the shop for repairs.

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I'm thinking I'll go with the 830, but my question now is should I go straight to AT&T and give them $120 down and pay $10/ month plus my bill for the 830+Fitbit Flex or should I just buy the 830 by itself online for the $175?

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I suppose I would use it if it came with it. I'm an incoming college freshman so I may want it to not gain that Freshman 15 (or 20.) I've never had an activity tracker before, maybe it would help me be more mindful of how much exercise im getting, or not getting.

lilnickiwonder

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Be patient. Let me see if I can help you find something that fits your budget.

Thank you! The listing that I'm looking at is at the very most by budget can allow, $175 (and I dont want to go that high) If you can find something within the day and 13 hrs it closes that would be awesome! I'll wait for your answer yea or nay
And I also really don't want an added payment to my plan, Im just considering options. I prefer to be no contract and fully paid device if possible because if I see a better deal somewhere for my plan I can go wherever, whenever I please.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Deal Fisher is the scum of eBay :unhappysweat:

Sorry you had a bad experience there... I'm super happy with the 830 I got through them at a deep discount. It looks and acts BNIB. 99.4% rating with over 77,000 reviews would not, IMHO, make them the "scum of eBay."

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! The listing that I'm looking at is at the very most by budget can allow, $175 (and I dont want to go that high) If you can find something within the day and 13 hrs it closes that would be awesome! I'll wait for your answer yea or nay
And I also really don't want an added payment to my plan, Im just considering options. I prefer to be no contract and fully paid device if possible because if I see a better deal somewhere for my plan I can go wherever, whenever I please.

Sent you a PM with 4 links all below $175. I have bought stuff from two of the 4 sellers in the links I sent you. So I think you should be fine. The best case for this phone is a clear Fosmon case which you can buy on eBay for $4. Screen protectors are cheap from Xtremeguard, search Retailmenot.com for a coupon code and you can buy a screen protector for as low as $1 or even less if you buy 2 or 3. Good luck with your search.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs