The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-19-2015 12:34 PM
56 123
tools
    Can't we drop the annoying numbers, give me the surface phone, surface phone pro and surface phone pro+, then give me the Lumia, the Lumia pro and Lumia pro+.

This satisfies the 6 devices that they said they would make a year. Lumias all plastic, surface all metal. This allows the brands to exist together and still extol the core virtues of synonymous with each brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ivanfoster.com
    Wolfseye likes this.
    07-17-2015 04:27 AM
    I agree. Too many freakin numbers. Who really can remember what all the Models are/were without getting confused. Since MS is limiting their outcome to 6 phones per year, why not really make it simple. Especially, if at least it were steady numbers. Like start low and then go up. But with Lumia phones its like smaller numbers, bigger numbers, even bigger numbers, smaller numbers again, medium numbers, smaller numbers.... Thats confusing as hell.

Wolfseye
    trivishal likes this.
    07-17-2015 07:57 AM
    I agree. Too many freakin numbers. Who really can remember what all the Models are/were without getting confused. Since MS is limiting their outcome to 6 phones per year, why not really make it simple. Especially, if at least it were steady numbers. Like start low and then go up. But with Lumia phones its like smaller numbers, bigger numbers, even bigger numbers, smaller numbers again, medium numbers, smaller numbers.... Thats confusing as hell.

Wolfseye
    It's a holdover from Nokia. But to simplify it.

900 and 1000 Series (e.g. Lumia 925, 929 (Icon), 930, 1020, 1520 etc.) are their flagship lines of phones.
    600, 700, and 800 Series (e.g. Lumia 640 & 640XL, 735, 830 etc.) are their mid-level lines of phones
    500 and lower, as well as Asha Series (e.g. Lumia 530, 225 Dual SIM, Asha 503 Dual SIM) are their low-end lines of phones.

As far as calling the Surface Phones, I'd rather they just use the Lumia name for all tiers of phones and keep the Surface for their tablet lines. Keeping numbers is fine. Just pair down the numbers to three series. Maybe keep 500 series for low-end phones, 800 series for enterprise phones and 900 series for flagship. Then just put XL or L for the phablet version if there is one (I'm not sure making a low-end phablet would be wise).
    07-17-2015 09:33 PM
    Folks, this thread isn't about the Lumia numbering system. Keep the thread on topic please.
    tangledW likes this.
    07-18-2015 08:09 AM
    Actually a better title for this thread should be ARM or Intel?

To correct myself, Intel does have an x86 SoC. It announced the X3 back in Mar, but I haven't seen a whole lot about it. It also is targeted at budget phones in eastern markets.

Intel unveils its next mobile maneuver: Atom x3, x5, and x7 | Ars Technica

Intel has an uphill battle though. Even though, both Google and Microsoft would both benefit by transitioning to x86 in the long run. It would simplify code writing for both Android and Windows and make universal app development easier for Chrome, Android, and Windows.

P.S. Apple would be better served by making iPhone, iPad, and iPod with x86 as well. Why? The same reason it would benefit Google and Microsoft. One app to run on all devices. Mac's also run on x86 chips (have been for years).

The biggest beneficiary would be Microsoft though. Mainly because of its HUGE foothold in the x86 device market.
    Last edited by gernerttl; 07-19-2015 at 03:25 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-18-2015 12:44 PM
    Actually a better title for this thread should be ARM or Intel?
    Agreed, that would have been a much better title. Changed.
    gernerttl likes this.
    07-19-2015 12:34 PM
56 123