ARM or Intel?

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
940 all the way my 830 is just one of the bad models (overheats and has crappy battery) and i just want to get rid of it only planned to keep it for a year anyway cuz my 930 was overheating too much and battery was bad. If I knew what my 830 would bring I would've kept the 930.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
And here I am just hoping the non-XL won't be too big.

x86 would be very interesting. Perhaps a game changer, but will it be my phone? Not for x86 alone probably.

If you wanted it for x86 alone, you'd get a laptop and a flip phone. ;)

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I doubt that the non-XL will be anything other than 5" and the XL 5.7". Microsoft seems to prefer these 2 size factors. I am so used to larger than 5" since i started using the Galaxy Note devices, I would not like to go smaller anymore. 5.7" is my minimum size for a phone, while 6" is the max for me. Less and more, no thank you.

Sent from Tapatalk@Note4/OmegaRom1.2

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely want the Intel powered phone provided it supports AT&T LTE bands and battery life is comparable to that of the 940. If it's a matter of a few months longer, I would wait and continue to use my 1520 in the meantime, but if it appears the Intel phone is not coming out until the latter part of 2016, I would probably go for the 940 with the likelihood of upgrading again after 1 year or so.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
If the 940 XL is really as posted on the internet about, I will definately add that to my WP collection (or rather start one then ^^) ... :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Screw waiting. Waiting for McLaren and W10 and such made me miss out on the 1520. I'm sick of being on this 920, given it's been almost 3 years. I'm going with whichever 940 model is the highest-end on AT&T at launch. If they have something from Intel, I'll consider paying my phone off to upgrade early, or I'll wait on it. Given Microsoft's history with this crap, it'll either be canceled, or it'll be delayed until late-2016, when AT&T Next users can upgrade anyway.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I would expect an Intel solution to be late 2016 at least.

Daniel posted something about early 2016 in an article. I wouldn't be surprised if it is delayed though. I'm assuming the 940 will hit in November or so; hopefully we should have a better idea of when an Intel solution may come out by that time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The desktop software I run requires powerful hardware, so I see no point in an x86 based phone for my personal use.
However, I'd love to hear how others are planing to use such a device, and which x86 software they're most looking forward to running on it. Examples anyone?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Although having a phone that runs an x86 processor is neat, I'm not sure if it has more advantages over an ARM powered phone. Especially with Continuum coming down the pipe. So, I think if the 940 is released and Verizon gets it, I would probably go with the 940 maybe the 940XL...al though I'm not a huge phablet fan.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The desktop software I run requires powerful hardware, so I see no point in an x86 based phone for my personal use.
However, I'd love to hear how others are planing to use such a device, and which x86 software they're most looking forward to running on it. Examples anyone?
Well, with x86 support, I might be able to install and run something like Bookworm Deluxe, Open Sonic, etc. for games. Nothing demanding. Also, I would most likely use UEStudio or UltraEdit with an attached keyboard. PuTTY would also be nice to have.

I would also imagine there are people that would love to run the desktop version of Chrome or Firefox when they are attached to monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

My wife has Foxit Phantom PDF, which I imagine she would use on something like that as well.

My Dad has stated he'd like to run Thunderbird and also some publishing software he bought in 2003.

I'm sure a lot of people have ideas about what they might like to run, especially when hooked up to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Wtf, why so

First, it's slow - and I mean slower than it should be. Slower than my old 822 and even my 635.

The screen is terrible. Blacks are more like a dark grey and viewing angles are bad.

It overheats way too easily.

Capacitive buttons aren't vey responsive. On my first three phones they barely worked at all. That's right, I'm on my 4th phone.

Bluetooth connectivity is very poor.

I could go on and on...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

You've kind of touched on another issue. The fact that you have software that requires powerful hardware. That powerful hardware would require a lot of power. Additionally, x86 apps designed for desktop and laptops are not optimized for mobile devices with small batteries like phones and tend not to be energy efficient.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You've kind of touched on another issue. The fact that you have software that requires powerful hardware. That powerful hardware would require a lot of power. Additionally, x86 apps designed for desktop and laptops are not optimized for mobile devices with small batteries like phones and tend not to be energy efficient.

Absolutely. On the other hand, I think most people using a phone to run x86 software won't be doing so without the phone being docked, or at least lying on a charging pad. There is simply no way you'll get a decent experience out of that without a keyboard or mouse attached, so providing power likely won't be a huge issue.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon