New Windows Mobile Desktop

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the great things about Windows 10 on desktop. IMHO is that it brings Live Tiles closer to the surface.

This concept, applied to Windows 10 Mobile, puts Live Tiles farther from the surface. It's nothing I can support for that reason. The immediacy of information on Windows Phone is what drew me here and holds me.

rgatl

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
What it needs is a new curb appeal. Making the interface exactly like windows 10 on desktop (with minor tweaks) is what i was trying to illustrate. The only difference is table mode will show start screen always (like it do now) or none tablet mode which give you the quick task bar, search and desktop wallpaper (image on the left) Its not rocket science and it is not taking away people who like the start screen. It just gives a second option to customers to use tablet mode or not. Same situation you have with windows 10 on desktop, in tablet mode it works like windows 8.1 and none tablet mode it works like windows 7ish.

rgatl

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
sorry but windows 8.1 brought Live tiles closer to the surface, to get this in windows 10 you have to be in tablet mode.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
sorry but windows 8.1 brought Live tiles closer to the surface, to get this in windows 10 you have to be in tablet mode.

Kinda sorta. Microsoft added live tiles to the start menu. Which is ok as long as you don't have a lot of them pinned to your Start Menu.

rgatl

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok lets get real about live tiles. Keep in mind, I used WP 7/8 and now WP10 on a Nokia 1520. Here are the core features of a phone that people use daily:
1. Phone - Live tile displays the # of calls (no different than IOS and Andriod)
2. Messaging - Live tile displays the # of IM received (no different than IOS and Android)
3. Email - Live tile displays the # of IM received (no different than IOS and Android)
4. Calendar - This is the only tile that seem to give more information than its competition

The point being, Live tiles are nice to look at and it makes some acrobatic moves on your screen but I'm sorry to say it has very little UI advantages. In my opinion, the colorful tiles take away from the beauty of a nice background image and most people want their family picture at the fore front of their phones. WP10 made this happen with transparency tiles which some may argue is there because people wanted to show off their pics. IMO let customers choose between the existing start screen or a quick task bar, background image and a Cortana Search as shown in the image.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Looks like tablet mode from Windows 10 - which belongs on a tablet. Sure we can expect a few changes here and there, but not this much. That's losing W10M's signature look. Just by looking at the tiles on my phone, a few friends are waiting for a flagship device.

"But there's no [insert app here] yet"
"I'll use my old phone for that, but I want those tiles"

Carrying 2 phones doesn't make much sense, but it's helping Microsoft a bit. I say keep the tiles for the phones, not desktop!

rgatl

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Isn't this a much better desktop than having a screen full of colorful tiles, not everyone like the busy look. I say give customers two options

Attachments

• 50912309.png
    50912309.png
    318 KB · Views: 0

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I prefer the live tiles.. But why not give the consumer a choice for the start screen. As posted above most people I know on android do have their family photo or photo of the moment on their main start screen with only main go to apps impairing the photos view. I can agree with that myself. However there are more to live tiles than core apps and I prefer them such as bizview.. With one swipe up with my thumb I can see stats for my websites etc etc rather than swipe through multiple start screens and have to start a similar app... I do agree a familiar Interface could bring new users though. Some people just can't handle change.

rgatl

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Finally someone who is objective. With 1 Billion android users, something that looks familiar is always a plus to get someone to switch. IMO, tiles are great for business use but may have little impact for personal use. People especially teens like to display pictures of love ones and having this ability goes a long way. Similar to why MS had to bring back the start menu. I loved the full start menu on tablets but it was not efficient on a desktop interface. Can you imagine if customers could not display daily pictures onto their desktop and in place had tiles (windows 8.0). MS should try to give both options.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Finally someone who is objective. With 1 Billion android users, something that looks familiar is always a plus to get someone to switch. IMO, tiles are great for business use but may have little impact for personal use. People especially teens like to display pictures of love ones and having this ability goes a long way. Similar to why MS had to bring back the start menu. I loved the full start menu on tablets but it was not efficient on a desktop interface. Can you imagine if customers could not display daily pictures onto their desktop and in place had tiles (windows 8.0). MS should try to give both options.

Like I said I prefer tiles on my phone I use my phone for information not the latest social fad item and that's why I choose windows phone... But you have a point suggesting offering the choice of a familiar interface to grow the platform... Plus if the choice is there users will try tiles to see what it's like, it's in human nature to be curious, especially if they don't have to commit long term to it and can move back to what they like immediately. And truthfully who would give a darn about which interface the end user chooses to use as long as the platform grows and the APPS come with it. As long as i could choose which interface i preferred its of little consequence to me. That's my opinion for what it's worth lol.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon