Turning off the phone at night

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else turn off their phones at night? I realized I can probably save a tiny bit of battery wear and tear over the lifetime of the device by not having it on overnight. Even just sitting there my 930 would churn through several percentage points per hour, always replaced right away by the charging stand. That's maybe an extra cycle or two every week, which could mean 75-100 cycles in that first year. Could this lead to a slight, but noticeable reduction in overall battery capacity in year 2? And for what? I'm sleeping. Just a thought.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ignore any notion of "cycles" when it comes to battery life. Modern batteries don't suffer from progressive death like they used to. These days, you can charge your phone as often as you like to whatever level you want to. The battery will certainly last longer than the time you'll have the device.

Just let it charge overnight, nothing bad will happen to it.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Ignore any notion of "cycles" when it comes to battery life. Modern batteries don't suffer from progressive death like they used to. These days, you can charge your phone as often as you like to whatever level you want to. The battery will certainly last longer than the time you'll have the device.

Just let it charge overnight, nothing bad will happen to it.

While this may appear to be true for people who purchase new phones at least every 2 years, some every year, it's not always true. Batteries can still be abused to the point that you will definitely notice the cycles. These cycles are still valid, but the mAh size are generally sufficient enough to allow the batteries to last at least a couple of years before degrading.

My battery degraded after a year due to not just leaving it on the charger, but having it run a night stand clock all night on a bright setting while it trickle charged.

For devices that don't have a user-replaceable battery, that would be an issue. Not for me. I always get devices that have a replaceable battery.

As far as a battery outlasting how long a person has a device also depends on the person. My wife and I both usually replace a battery at least once, often more before finally replacing a phone. We average about 4 to 5 years usage of a phone before we get a new one, and I used one in particular for 9 years. It's actually still in service as a secondary device right now on it's 5th battery.

While battery tech has gotten better, the very nature of a Lithium Ion battery, which is still used in phones, means it will indeed have cycles to deal with.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My thought process:

Is it fully charged? Eh, I can turn it off.

If not, is it charged enough? Turn off if so.

Does it need charging? Leave it plugged in or on the pad, it will naturally remain on.

Am I testing battery drain overnight? Leave it on, unplugged.

Do I need to use its alarm? Plugged in and left on.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While this may appear to be true for people who purchase new phones at least every 2 years, some every year, it's not always true. Batteries can still be abused to the point that you will definitely notice the cycles. These cycles are still valid, but the mAh size are generally sufficient enough to allow the batteries to last at least a couple of years before degrading.

I guess experiences may vary. I've had my 1520 since launch day (late 2013). I still get up to 48 hours of life out of it (if I don't charge at the weekend for some reason).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster