Lumia 950/950xl or Surface Phone?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Apparently Microsoft will be releasing 6 devices yearly

2 Lumia Flagships, 2 Lumia Budget Devices, and then two Business Devices...
The 2 (or for now, one) business device(s) we know very little about, could very likely be a Surface Phone (and maybe a Surface Phone+/xl/pro)

We pretty much have a good gist of what the two Lumia flagships are going to be like, design/aesthetic wise and spec wise, although we know little of what these business devices will be..

So if MS releases a Surface Phone (High Specs, Metal body, Intel chip, perhaps a detachable but sturdy keyboard) will you choose Surface Phone or continue on with Lumia flagships? Just fun speculation :D

I personally strongly believe their upcoming premium business devices for early 2016 are going to be a Surface Phone and Surface Phone+/xl/pro

Lumia or Surface? :devil:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Since the smallest upcoming Lumia flagship is 5.2" which is too big for my use, hopefully the smallest Surface phone will be in the 4.5-5" range, if so, I'll get one.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Personally I've never liked the Lumia name, although I've like the actual phones ever since my first 800. However, when people ask me what kind of phone I have I always say 'Windows'. Mainly because it get straight to the heart of what they are asking...it's clearly not an iPhone, so they are wondering if it is an Android. Saying Lumia doesn't answer that question for most people.

I believe here in the US, Surface has better name recognition than Lumia. I'm not sure about the rest of the world. But I really wish they'd pick one name and stick with it. If MS's long game is to get the other manufactures to make lots of Windows Phones, then they need to do what they did with the tablets. Make a reference point for manufactures to run with, i.e. Surface. Why keep the Lumia name? Just put a flag on the back and then you can stop focusing on the name - Apple playbook.

What would be the difference between a flagship Lumia and a Surface phone for business? More subdued and office-friendly colors for the Surface phone? Maybe it's just me, but flagship means business in my mind. But I could see business meaning midgrade and allow for bulk distribution for an organization at a reasonable cost.

After all of that....the answer from me is Surface.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Personally I've never liked the Lumia name, although I've like the actual phones ever since my first 800. However, when people ask me what kind of phone I have I always say 'Windows'. Mainly because it get straight to the heart of what they are asking...it's clearly not an iPhone, so they are wondering if it is an Android. Saying Lumia doesn't answer that question for most people.

I believe here in the US, Surface has better name recognition than Lumia. I'm not sure about the rest of the world. But I really wish they'd pick one name and stick with it. If MS's long game is to get the other manufactures to make lots of Windows Phones, then they need to do what they did with the tablets. Make a reference point for manufactures to run with, i.e. Surface. Why keep the Lumia name? Just put a flag on the back and then you can stop focusing on the name - Apple playbook.

What would be the difference between a flagship Lumia and a Surface phone for business? More subdued and office-friendly colors for the Surface phone? Maybe it's just me, but flagship means business in my mind. But I could see business meaning midgrade and allow for bulk distribution for an organization at a reasonable cost.

After all of that....the answer from me is Surface.

I agree

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Since the smallest upcoming Lumia flagship is 5.2" which is too big for my use, hopefully the smallest Surface phone will be in the 4.5-5" range, if so, I'll get one.

Oh...
A top-shelf 4.7" would rock.

In my opinion, the Icon is an annoying size.
It's just small enough that I want to use it, one-handed, but it's just big enough that I can't.
I would rather have a 4.5-4.7", and use it one-handed, or 6ish" and change my workflow.
JJ

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I seriously want to see "Surface Phone" specs.. Since in reality I don't need a new phone and I'm very happy with my 830, because I realized there are more important things to do on a daily basis, like being more active in reality (having a watch that counts steps helps) lol because you want to beat your goals to get a better score. I'm only writing this in a case any of you would feel inspired :D.. Btw mine is Polar Loop watch.. So yeah I can wait for a new flagship like the Surface Phone :) I'd get it if it was really that perfect.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about the whole Surface phone thing and I'm wondering if MS is planning competition for the Galaxy Note series? Maybe a phablet with a keyboard cover and a stylus? I wouldn't want one, but an intriguing idea.

gljvd

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Earlier this year MS bought Ntrig the company that makes the stylus/display interface for the surface . So I can certainly see it come to cell phones. It could also be why the 950 comes first , perhaps Oct is just too soon for the devie to hit and it will be an early 2016 phone.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Both. I will definitely go for the 950XL. I will also very likely get the Surface Phone next year, but I don't expect too much fancy stuff from it.
It is supposed to be a business phone and the main reason for that will be the Intel chip, which should allow me to run Win32 apps on it. That seems like the main business selling point, not the highest specs, the best camera or every feature imaginable.
I believe the Lumia 950/XL will pack more in regards to specs and features while the Surface phone will have decent specs, an industrial design (alloy body) and more enterprise oriented optimization.
I don't expect the Surface phone to be a consumer flagship.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I see it like this

Both will use Windows 10 Mobile and future 10.1 "Redstone" OS full support for both Intel 64 & ARMv8 platforms'

Microsoft phones with Intel Atom in them all under the Surface Phone name.

Microsoft phones with Snapdragon in them all under the Lumia name.

That's how I see it! Intel & Qualcomm hardware based under Win10 mobile.

Ryan2461

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I honestly believe that the Lumia 950 is the Surface Phone. Why else would the specs say that it comes with a Surface pen? It doesn't make sense for a Lumia device to come with an accessory meant for the Surface line. I think they are just trying to throw people off by changing it from the Lumia 940 to the 950. I'd place a bet on it! Windows phone has been less than successful while the Surface line has done really well. There's no better time for the Surface Phone than the release of Windows 10 Mobile. Microsoft is either releasing it now or never.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I honestly believe that the Lumia 950 is the Surface Phone. Why else would the specs say that it comes with a Surface pen? It doesn't make sense for a Lumia device to come with an accessory meant for the Surface line. I think they are just trying to throw people off by changing it from the Lumia 940 to the 950. I'd place a bet on it! Windows phone has been less than successful while the Surface line has done really well. There's no better time for the Surface Phone than the release of Windows 10 Mobile. Microsoft is either releasing it now or never.
Nope, 950/xl aren't surface phones. The reason they've put the pen compatibility is because of the xl's size, and this one is supposed to be competing Note series, even though MS said they're noy trying and will not compete with other manufacturers. So no, Surface phone is yet to come, and i think it'll sport flagship-like specs and will run win32 apps for sure, and of course loose the color variety, fo it is a bussines device.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Win32 with full networking capability = instant purchase regardless of carrier. Otherwise, I'll wait and see. I'm in no rush to replace my Ativ SE at the moment. I cant imagine Verizon ignoring a win32 capable phone when they hold the majority of the business market.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why people are expecting future phone to run win32 apps..it won't happen. It will run win10mobile, not a PC Windows 10.

People are expecting to be able to store Win32 apps on the phone to use in Continuum. Not run full Photoshop on a 5" screen. I don't think that's a longshot, either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers