Hi all, new user, first time poster and hoping you smart cats can help me. The forums have always provided answers in the past, but I feel I need to ask this one myself.

So, after three hours on the phone with MS Customer Support today (Worst time to call, by the way), I find out that this computer I purchased from a local company I did contract work for is unable to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, and therefore, unable to be upgraded to Windows 10. It has a volume license key, which is not allowed to be upgraded via store or any other method (apparently).

MS support suggested I take this back to the company I purchased it from. The issue with that is that I purchased it at very low cost because the company was going out of business. No luck there. I thought maybe it was an Enterprise copy, since those cannot be upgraded, but the System screen shows Windows 8 Pro.

So Microsoft's one and only suggestion was to purchase a "legitimate" product key, which got me to thinking it was a pirated version or some sort, but they checked and said it was not.

So, I come to you with the hopes that someone has successfully upgraded a volume license Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1, and then, hopefully, to Windows 10. I will leave this here and head off to bed, and I sincerely hope someone can be kind enough to assist. Please let me know if you need further information. Cheers!
    07-30-2015 11:56 AM
    This is indeed a strange situation. I think it is not 100% clear if your Win 8 pro copy is genuine. My best guess is that the volume key is used too many times for too many computers and MS blocked it. (Despite their comments on this). I'm sorry for you but I think the solution will be purchasing a new key
    07-31-2015 02:09 AM