950 vs 950 XL Display resolution contradiction.

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what I was saying two posts before yours.

But I can't help but wonder, if these two phones (the 950 and 950XL) are both supposed to have the exact same display resolution (not to mention the exact same 20MP camera), couldn't they have just used the 808 in the 950XL as well? Why does the 950XL have the 810?

N-Trig software running in the background and always ready palm rejection/active digitizer detection

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Good luck on getting a phone with a 55 MP camera, haha.

We'll need luck... and money! Lots of both!

I would buy one if the picture-taking speed was good (re: one of the big complaints I hear about the 1020 being that the speed of taking pictures isn't that great, but of course you expect some tradeoff between speed and picture quality, but nonetheless, you want speed once you get picture quality... we just want it all, don't we?) :)

I plan to use my 920 until it dies or until the next Windows flagship camera phone comes out. Yes, I expect my wait to be fairly long. LOL :0)

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
It seems to me that 1440p is overkill for phones, unless M$ has another plans like phablet or Surface Pro hybrid. Even gaming PC struggles to keep up @1440p and setting game preset to ultra. A 5" screen and FHD res. is a perfect combo, since phones are meant to be portable. Maybe MS could come up with fancy name called "TrueEye Screen". Sorry for posting completely different matter.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Hopefully the next Windows Phones flagships are coming this November.
I think it would be great if the 950 XL had a surprise feature inside it. More specifically, an active stylus. No manufacturer actually competes with Samsung and releases a large-screened, high-end smartphone with active stylus technology and optimized software. It would be awesome if Microsoft was the first, and just another reason to buy the 950 XL. I highly doubt it'll happen, but we can hope.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Actually, I don't necessarily agree.
I definitely think smartphone manufacturers and software developers should've mastered battery life with FHD screens before moving on to QHD screens, but we don't live in a perfect world.
Although QHD doesn't bring any noticeable improvements to the table on smaller screens, it still keeps people happy. It's more consistent than FHD. QHD is pin sharp no matter what device you're using (unless you have a built in Tartarus in your pocket and use your television as your cellphone) while on the largest phones FHD has to start to stretch to encompass it all. Going any farther than QHD is ridiculous, and we definitely hit QHD too soon, but I think that if we had waited a few years QHD would've been perfect.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Actually, I don't necessarily agree.
I definitely think smartphone manufacturers and software developers should've mastered battery life with FHD screens before moving on to QHD screens, but we don't live in a perfect world.
Although QHD doesn't bring any noticeable improvements to the table on smaller screens, it still keeps people happy. It's more consistent than FHD. QHD is pin sharp no matter what device you're using (unless you have a built in Tartarus in your pocket and use your television as your cellphone) while on the largest phones FHD has to start to stretch to encompass it all. Going any farther than QHD is ridiculous, and we definitely hit QHD too soon, but I think that if we had waited a few years QHD would've been perfect.
How about this, Rendering graphics at 1440p then downscaling it to 1080p kind of AMD's VSR technique.

MishuRO

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
My Talkman only has FHD display. I hope is just because it's a prototype, but from all I heard so far, that would also be the final spec when it launches. Probably a lot of people will be dissapointed by this.

MishuRO

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Correction: the display is 1440x2560, it was "unlocked" after a software update, just like the displayed RAM (was 2GB, now it shows 3GB, as leaked).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Correction: the display is 1440x2560, it was "unlocked" after a software update, just like the displayed RAM (was 2GB, now it shows 3GB, as leaked).
Makes no sense. You might be able to disable or enable some of the memory but digital displays are what they are. You can't change their resolution. Now you could send FHD to the chip and let it upscale it to QHD but it would look like total crap and NOBODY (even you) could fail to notice that. So I call BS on your whole story. You can't salvage it by piling more BS on top of the original when it gets exposed.

MishuRO

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Makes no sense. You might be able to disable or enable some of the memory but digital displays are what they are. You can't change their resolution. Now you could send FHD to the chip and let it upscale it to QHD but it would look like total crap and NOBODY (even you) could fail to notice that. So I call BS on your whole story. You can't salvage it by piling more BS on top of the original when it gets exposed.
Call BS if you like, I don't give a MS (that's man****). Before software update it showed "Screen resolution: 1080x1920", now it shows "1440x2560". If that's not unlock by software, I don't know what to call it. But I know what to call you...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786