$35 Best Buy Store Credit Expires Sept 19th, Should I get a 640?

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I am a big tech geek (like many of you i'm sure) and own quite a few smart phones. I am PRIMARILY an iPhone user, currently on the tail end of my 5S contract so would be due for an upgrade in Sept/Nov whenever Apple announces their new phones. My wife has the 6 and between the two of us we've owned every iPhone since the 3GS.

I also use a blackberry for work, a Moto G (on wifi) to stream the news next to my desk (the Android App doesn't constantly buffer like the iOS version of the app does) and I own a Nokia Lumia 635 (the older version with 512 mb ram). Overall i'm really excited about the direction Microsoft seems to finally be going with Windows Phone over the last 1-2 years and am considering taking the plunge into Windows Phone in a big way. I currently use At&t and am grandfathered in on the Unlimited Data plan but I recently picked up a T-Mobile SIM kit for 0.99 when they ran a special. I have $35 in Best Buy reward zone credits that is due to expire on September 3rd and so wanted to ask....

Should I pick up the Lumia 640 for $45 or is there any likeliness that something else may come out on or about Sept 19th? My only hesitation on the 640 is its aging CPU/GPU. I don't know if the extra 512 mb ram makes a huge difference in real world day to day stuff but i'm hoping it really does because my 635 struggles with web browsing, etc. It is silky smooth navigating the OS which gives you a false sense of speed until you get into more intensive apps/web pages. Certainly the screen, battery, and camera(s) would all be huge upgrades over the 635 but if it is still sluggish it would get frustrating quickly.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'd like to play around with a nicer Windows Phone before I commit to a flagship price since i'll have to buy one outright in order to keep my Unlimited plan. Thanks again.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 640 runs really well with 1GB RAM even with the older CPU. I think you might want to buy it especially if it is $45:)

Keep in mind T-Mobile version is only available at Walmart and not at Best Buy - at least online that is what it shows.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh i forgot to mention I would get the At&t prepaid version unlocked to use on T-Mobile for a 30 day prepaid experiment. I'm looking into how good T-Mobile coverage is around where I live also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon