Windows Phone haters: could they be right?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I totally get your point, but MS had its reasons from the beggining of this whole story.
Windows CE/Windows Mobile was just that: regular Windows running on a smaller screen, and it was crap.
And so MS came with WP: a lightweight, stable and virus-free system, and also prety different (and good looking).

Android is like Windows in the mobile world: a complete mess, but full of great apps.
I (and most of WP fans, btw) don't want WP to change and become a complete mess just like Android.
I Always like to say that WP is better than Android because it is like it is.

But yes, I totally understand. Maybe it's that most of people think.
Unfortunate, but true.
I definitely would hate to see windows become like android. its crap.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
First of all it's not just app gap, but the look of Windows phones at all. I don't know why is it so hard for Windows Phone fans to understand that there are a lot of people that simply doesn't like those Square Live tiles and think they looks ugly and lame as f***. Just connect that to WHY THE F*** Microsoft partly removed (and gave an option to disable them) them in Windows 10.

Ignore "offensive language" it's there to give the real expression.

And yes I obviously like them, but I can understand.

Next thing what really sucks is OS limitations. If you also use Android you get really spoiled with all the app's features like that floating circle from Facebook's Messenger app or even on Skype with it's windowed Skype video call floating around where you want it on the screen when you want to do something else on the phone. You can also run multiple apps just like on Windows desktop on high end phones.

Therefore Android for example feels more Windows like than Windows phone it self. And so far Windows Mobile didn't fix any of those problems nor gave any worthy features to name it "Windows" in the first place.

This is where I get to the point of where to go in the next phone.

I like my Windows phone very much and I even became full Microsoft fan. It's all I talk about all day sometimes.

Yet phones are just phones, we need to choose what we need. I guess a perfect phone for me would be a Windows running on a smaller screen with calling & texting option and all the apps.

And yes surprisingly I have every app I need, it's the features that are missing.

There is truly no feature on IOS or Android I am truly missing. And I feel that is the same for most fans of the windows Phone OS.

Comparing the desktop experience with live tiles to WIndows Phone is not a comparable experience.

For starters, Windows is the dominant player on Desktop and thus people have been ingrained and used to Windows acting a certain way. As foolish as those people are and trust me they are downright foolish/ridiculous to me since they need a start menu(when the start screen was excellent), Microsoft also didn't help things with how half-baked Windows 8 was(Windows 8.1 should have been 8).
I can understand, even if I dislike and disagree, why they handicapped Windows 10 with the live tiles and start screen.

On the phone, it is much different. Most people really could care less what the phone's OS looks like and UI....they want a phone that enable them to do what they need and want to do and with the apps they need. Selling many phones, the complaints is rarely that they hate the live tiles(if anything the live tiles are what they like in spite of a lack of apps)

Also, keep in mind that you are speaking as an enthusiast....For the average person, people such as my mother, they find floating chat heads for FB messaging incredibly annoying and pointless. These are also the same people who really couldn't care about having multiple apps at once.

It is why IOS is so popular...because it is a simple OS that works and allows people to do what they want with the apps. If Microsoft had the developer support, it wouldn't matter about the UI because in the end MOST people want something that works and for what it is and can do, Windows phone works just fine for most people as an OS.

When you add in the app gap, that's when it becomes an issue.

The day windows 10/mobile because anything android like is the day I either stick with my WIndows phone as it is then or move to IOS.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Too much fanboyism and not enough objectivity. Statements like "android is crap" without any context are meaningless. WP is far from the perfection its portrayed to be especially on low end devices, here lag is disguised as "resuming" or "loading". It's also funny that when smoothness is being touted ios is pointedly left out of the conversation and it's all a comparison to android, obviously an easier target. And those useful features of android like floating apps are genuinely useful.

Worst of all, any differentiators WP currently has will be going away with 10 mobile and the only thing left will be live tiles. When everything is factored together the argument for WP becomes a lot harder, at least to those willing to look at it objectively.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
There is truly no feature on IOS or Android I am truly missing. And I feel that is the same for most fans of the windows Phone OS.

Comparing the desktop experience with live tiles to WIndows Phone is not a comparable experience.

For starters, Windows is the dominant player on Desktop and thus people have been ingrained and used to Windows acting a certain way. As foolish as those people are and trust me they are downright foolish/ridiculous to me since they need a start menu(when the start screen was excellent), Microsoft also didn't help things with how half-baked Windows 8 was(Windows 8.1 should have been 8).
I can understand, even if I dislike and disagree, why they handicapped Windows 10 with the live tiles and start screen.

On the phone, it is much different. Most people really could care less what the phone's OS looks like and UI....they want a phone that enable them to do what they need and want to do and with the apps they need. Selling many phones, the complaints is rarely that they hate the live tiles(if anything the live tiles are what they like in spite of a lack of apps)

Also, keep in mind that you are speaking as an enthusiast....For the average person, people such as my mother, they find floating chat heads for FB messaging incredibly annoying and pointless. These are also the same people who really couldn't care about having multiple apps at once.

It is why IOS is so popular...because it is a simple OS that works and allows people to do what they want with the apps. If Microsoft had the developer support, it wouldn't matter about the UI because in the end MOST people want something that works and for what it is and can do, Windows phone works just fine for most people as an OS.

When you add in the app gap, that's when it becomes an issue.

The day windows 10/mobile because anything android like is the day I either stick with my WIndows phone as it is then or move to IOS.

Dude I know you adore WP and you'll always defend it.

You don't have to know phones nor operating systems to know what looks better for you. And Livetiles Squary UI is simply not popular amongst people.

It was frustrating when I was all excited talking about the new Windows, and Windows phone and how the Live tiles are awesome and people were like "I like this and that, but I don't like the Tiles" or "I like Nokia, but I don't like the Tiles" or "You have an awesome cool looking phone, but it has Windows" and so on.
Same went with Windows on PC, where some people just wouldn't upgrade because of it's looks even now with free W10. It pisses me off lol.

It's simple to choose. iOS, it's an iPhone, Android, it looks cool!, WP, what are those Squares?! I have to say I blame the commercials with boring Start Screens for that too.

Of course there are people who like it, that's the reason I came to WP.

And Windows Phone not being comparable to Windows is Microsofts fault and no one else. People asked for many more features with thousands of votes and we got none to call "gamechanging" and that sucks.. Continuum.. Yay.. Whatever, Cortana.. I don't even know anybody that uses Google Now or Siri in real life. Cloud first.. Yeah like we have infinite internet anywhere. And yaaay.. The new Design language..

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, I totally get your point, but MS had its reasons from the beggining of this whole story.
Windows CE/Windows Mobile was just that: regular Windows running on a smaller screen, and it was crap.
And so MS came with WP: a lightweight, stable and virus-free system, and also prety different (and good looking).

Android is like Windows in the mobile world: a complete mess, but full of great apps.
I (and most of WP fans, btw) don't want WP to change and become a complete mess just like Android.
I Always like to say that WP is better than Android because it is like it is.

But yes, I totally understand. Maybe it's that most of people think.
Unfortunate, but true.

It may be because phones and tablets are replacing PCs these days and people can do more with its PC-like features. I mean.. Unless you need heavy programs or PC games there is no reason to own one anymore.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Don't have to be a hater to see the facts, currently WP lacks apps and offers no real differentiators to attract users and hence, developers. Whether this changes in the future is unknown but personally I don't see where any meaningful growth is going to come from.

Yeah my main reason were the Tiles and panorama swiping apps.. All I wanted is smaller fonts and more color.. Not what we got now in WM10. However I like it, just not as impressed.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
It may be because phones and tablets are replacing PCs these days and people can do more with its PC-like features. I mean.. Unless you need heavy programs or PC games there is no reason to own one anymore.

Good. This is it.
But I say that Windows Phone's goal is exactly to put in a phone the good side of what a PC does (Messagins, Internet, apps and all) without bringing the bad side (performance issues, viruses, more complicated stuff and all). And it's a good thing!
I see everywhere people blaming WP for its very nature of being a different system. They say as if WP would be better if it was just like Android, but I totally disagree. We already have Android to be like Android.

See iOS. It's resembles WP much more than it resembles Android (except for the UI and apps), and it has tons of apps and people just love it!

We never see regular people complaining about that kind of stuff that some people here are saying.
I Always hear "Your phone is so nice. Shame it has Windows Phone.". Or "That system of yours is so pretty! But it's still bad because it doesn't have any apps.". I even saw somebody asking about how to install Google Play on WP (lol) .

The kind of complaints we see here are mostly about stuff that isn't even close to relevant for a regular person. I can give examples if somebory here asks.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Good. This is it.
But I say that Windows Phone's goal is exactly to put in a phone the good side of what a PC does (Messagins, Internet, apps and all) without bringing the bad side (performance issues, viruses, more complicated stuff and all). And it's a good thing!
I see everywhere people blaming WP for its very nature of being a different system. They say as if WP would be better if it was just like Android, but I totally disagree. We already have Android to be like Android.

See iOS. It's resembles WP much more than it resembles Android (except for the UI and apps), and it has tons of apps and people just love it!

We never see regular people complaining about that kind of stuff that some people here are saying.
I Always hear "Your phone is so nice. Shame it has Windows Phone.". Or "That system of yours is so pretty! But it's still bad because it doesn't have any apps.". I even saw somebody asking about how to install Google Play on WP (lol) .

The kind of complaints we see here are mostly about stuff that isn't even close to relevant for a regular person. I can give examples if somebory here asks.

Oh come on, that's why I said why is it so hard for people here to understand this. THESE KIND OF COMPLAINS comes from REGULAR people which I showed MY windows phone. Why the f*** (insert Star Trek facepalm meme) would I say such things if it's so non existent?? Sorry I'm losing patience with Windows Central.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh come on, that's why I said why is it so hard for people here to understand this. THESE KIND OF COMPLAINS comes from REGULAR people which I showed MY windows phone. Why the f*** (insert Star Trek facepalm meme) would I say such things if it's so non existent?? Sorry I'm losing patience with Windows Central. When you say nice things about WP, no one gives duck (actually keyboard wants to correct it to **** lol) and when you say something not even close to bad everyone loses their minds.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh come on, that's why I said why is it so hard for people here to understand this. THESE KIND OF COMPLAINS comes from REGULAR people which I showed MY windows phone. Why the f*** (insert Star Trek facepalm meme) would I say such things if it's so non existent?? Sorry I'm losing patience with Windows Central.

Yes, and I showed the kinds of complaints I'm used to hear.
So, which of us is right? Both, I guess.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It's simple, every age range has it's own thoughts about what's cool and in my case Windows phone is just not popular and even I can cry about it all day, no one is going to change their minds until the OS starts to be "cooler".

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyways.. In the end there is no way to please both groups of people, those who want WP to stay as it is and those who want WP to change to something else.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
It's simple, every age range has it's own thoughts about what's cool and in my case Windows phone is just not popular and even I can cry about it all day, no one is going to change their minds until the OS starts to be "cooler".

But I still guess you're being too racidal. Because the problem isn't about WP not reaching group A or B. It's general, and the problem goes much deeper than the system looking "cooler".
I guess the only groups WP is reaching are: Windows/MS fans and open minded people (I'm both, btw).

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Cooler in every way possible.

Wait, don't get me wrong. By "deeper", i meant "In all areas".
Like the time when WP was released, bad initial version, bad marketing. Windows 8 times (Windows 8 for PCs was kind of an anti-advertising for Windows Phone 8, which is very common to be known as "Windows 8" by regular people still nowadays).
We can't say WP have few users just because it doesn't look "cool enough" (which isn't a general opinion, and not even close to).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss