Windows Phone haters: could they be right?

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm a huge fan and heavy Windows Phone user since 7.5.
I love my Lumia 630 and my next phone will surely be a WP.
Although I find WP to be a great OS and in no ways poor in apps (except for games), I think there is some point in what haters say, and I become a little fearful about the future of Windows Phone.

I don't think it will die easilly, but what if it doesn't grow up as much as we want? I really want to see more people using Windows Phones so that it gets more support from devs and from Microsoft itself.

Could Windows Phone haters be right in some ways? Is it just blink hate? What do you really think about it?

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In a way yes, windows can't grow, if developers wont support it, and that's what is happening, people wont switch over if they can't get there apps on it, and developers wont make app cause not enough people are using windows. So we have a stale mate going on.
Something needs to give, I think developers need to try windows, and get there apps on it.

TheJackah

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Developers are beginning to support Windows 10 and it sure can grow. Everyone in my household is moving from Android to Windows Phone this year.

Posted via the Windows Central App

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
In a way yes, windows can't grow, if developers wont support it, and that's what is happening, people wont switch over if they can't get there apps on it, and developers wont make app cause not enough people are using windows. So we have a stale mate going on.
Something needs to give, I think developers need to try windows, and get there apps on it.

Agree with you on the stale mate and it is just not the apps, when I got my first WP close to 3 years ago things were ramping up and looked promising for the first years then it all began to slide backwards, we had PFD and then that went to the wayside and now there is The Insider Program, WP 8.1 came about and now we are poised in switching to WP10. There is no doubt things are happening buuuut it all seems so unfinished and inconsistent, likeing my L830 yet everyday I run into constant problems in that apps are limited, don't do what they should, the phone feels in some respects a tad archaic and lacking in fluidity, my Ativ S and L1020 are the same so it is not just one device we're comparing here.

Another thing that is very annoying, the selectiveness that abounds in regards to what phone gets what, when an update does come over the horizon it is a crapshoot as to which device receives, my L830 and Denim is a good example, I was lucky enough to get whereas some still don't yet and may never, it took months to roll out to those that did, being my L830 was one of the latest WPs at the time Denim was announced makes this pretty pathetic... Yes we can blame the carriers for some of it, not sure that was the case here though, the bottom line is, I don't give a rats behind who's at fault just give me the damn update, MS needs to sort this out one way or the other otherwise it ain't gonna be pretty LOL.

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
What also gets to me, is some developers say they have a really good relationship with Ms, so they support Xbox, but when they make a mobile app, its mystery not on wp. And they avoid talking about it. That gets to me, Bethesda is doing this with there apps. drives me crazy that ill have to get a cheap android just to run a few apps I want to use. Especially now with win10, and people porting apps right over, there really is not much of an excuse not to port them over themselves and make them officially available. And windows is the most versatile of the 3 systems, and seems to be more stable. My htc and my icon wp8. Were much more stable than the androids I use to have.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I think haters are going to hate, regardless of what apps are published.

The problem with WP isn't the lack of developers, but of Microsoft itself.

Far too many times have people buying a WP have been left behind, and also for the issues that the os has. They fix one thing, then break another in doing so.

Take the music and video player. Why not just update it to include all the features folks wanted, refresh the ui,and then run the new Windows Media Center through their universal app maker and call it a day? Why reinvent the wheel here. I know they utilized code from Zune for Xbox music, they could have done the same thing here.

Core apps are supposed to work with all features out of the box, and since most are being patched weekly you know that they aren't.

So....the hate isn't a app gap fap,it goes much deeper, and there really wouldn't be a need for it if Microsoft had their stuff together.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I think haters are going to hate, regardless of what apps are published.

The problem with WP isn't the lack of developers, but of Microsoft itself.

Far too many times have people buying a WP have been left behind, and also for the issues that the os has. They fix one thing, then break another in doing so.

Take the music and video player. Why not just update it to include all the features folks wanted, refresh the ui,and then run the new Windows Media Center through their universal app maker and call it a day? Why reinvent the wheel here. I know they utilized code from Zune for Xbox music, they could have done the same thing here.

Core apps are supposed to work with all features out of the box, and since most are being patched weekly you know that they aren't.

So....the hate isn't a app gap fap,it goes much deeper, and there really wouldn't be a need for it if Microsoft had their stuff together.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I agree with some things, but I really don't think they break stuff that much. Almost always there is a reason for things they do.

Media Center was taken down, mostly because a few people used it.

I really loved the old Music + Video hub (and all of the another hubs, too), but I get the reason for splitting them up. The only problem is that these apps don't feel as good as they could be (but hey, they're improving with time). Also, it's mostly long-term users that complain about these apps, and not people which don't use WP, because they don't use WP!

I really don't think Windows Phone's UI should be changed. It's really good as it is, and it is the OS's main identity.

Also, these aren't things we see most people complaining about.
Well, there is people who DO complain about, but the #1 statement we see everywhere is that WP is na amazing OS, but they don't use it because of the so-called app gap. My hope is that Windows 10 at least recudes this gap so that we see what happens?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't have to be a hater to see the facts, currently WP lacks apps and offers no real differentiators to attract users and hence, developers. Whether this changes in the future is unknown but personally I don't see where any meaningful growth is going to come from.

Marc Baldry

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand why people get so cranky over the 'app gap'. Granted I'm not a teenager so I don't use things like snap chat, I'm not on twitter etc, so all the apps I need/use are present (Santander banking app would be nice though). I really believe that the core apps we have on WP (Facebook excepted) are fantastic and work well. From my experiece dealing with Apple-heads and Android fans is they complain about the app gap more as a way to justify their choice in thier own platform as opposed to shooting down WP, and of those apps that are missing, they're probably only fad apps that will fall off the radar very soon once the next fad comes along.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't have to be a hater to see the facts, currently WP lacks apps and offers no real differentiators to attract users and hence, developers. Whether this changes in the future is unknown but personally I don't see where any meaningful growth is going to come from.

It really lacks apps, but it has great differentiators.
The whole OS idea itself is a differentiator: A beautiful and different OS, easy to use, fast, lighteight (runs smoothly even on the cheaper devices), stable and also free of viruses. I guess that't something.
If it was just technically speaking and the OS had all apps people want, there would be almost no reason for choosing Android over WP, imo.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Lol...nope what? WP hatters do have some points. They say WP is only at maybe 3% in us...there wrong about that one? How about the app gap ? Maybe there wrong about that one too? Lack of phone selection? Can't knock the hatters on that one either. Sure its.........kinda..........getting better .....?

Last edited:

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Are there actually any haters at all? I font hate apple or google, I just prefer wp. I suspect the only actual haters are teenage keyboard warrior trolls trying to get other teenage keyboard warriors to bite.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
First of all it's not just app gap, but the look of Windows phones at all. I don't know why is it so hard for Windows Phone fans to understand that there are a lot of people that simply doesn't like those Square Live tiles and think they looks ugly and lame as f***. Just connect that to WHY THE F*** Microsoft partly removed (and gave an option to disable them) them in Windows 10.

Ignore "offensive language" it's there to give the real expression.

And yes I obviously like them, but I can understand.

Next thing what really sucks is OS limitations. If you also use Android you get really spoiled with all the app's features like that floating circle from Facebook's Messenger app or even on Skype with it's windowed Skype video call floating around where you want it on the screen when you want to do something else on the phone. You can also run multiple apps just like on Windows desktop on high end phones.

Therefore Android for example feels more Windows like than Windows phone it self. And so far Windows Mobile didn't fix any of those problems nor gave any worthy features to name it "Windows" in the first place.

This is where I get to the point of where to go in the next phone.

I like my Windows phone very much and I even became full Microsoft fan. It's all I talk about all day sometimes.

Yet phones are just phones, we need to choose what we need. I guess a perfect phone for me would be a Windows running on a smaller screen with calling & texting option and all the apps.

And yes surprisingly I have every app I need, it's the features that are missing.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Are there actually any haters at all? I font hate apple or google, I just prefer wp. I suspect the only actual haters are teenage keyboard warrior trolls trying to get other teenage keyboard warriors to bite.

That's the internet for ;) :) and that's my reason too. I just prefer wp, even if I would like to see more Windows like features on phones too.

yanpaulo

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Next thing what really sucks is OS limitations. If you also use Android you get really spoiled with all the app's features like that floating circle from Facebook's Messenger app or even on Skype with it's windowed Skype video call floating around where you want it on the screen when you want to do something else on the phone. You can also run multiple apps just like on Windows desktop on high end phones.

Therefore Android for example feels more Windows like than Windows phone it self. And so far Windows Mobile didn't fix any of those problems nor gave any worthy features to name it "Windows" in the first place.

Well, I totally get your point, but MS had its reasons from the beggining of this whole story.
Windows CE/Windows Mobile was just that: regular Windows running on a smaller screen, and it was crap.
And so MS came with WP: a lightweight, stable and virus-free system, and also prety different (and good looking).

Android is like Windows in the mobile world: a complete mess, but full of great apps.
I (and most of WP fans, btw) don't want WP to change and become a complete mess just like Android.
I Always like to say that WP is better than Android because it is like it is.

But yes, I totally understand. Maybe it's that most of people think.
Unfortunate, but true.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss