512 Vs 1gig Ram

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
How many people still using 512 of ram?.....I know some apps are 1gig but i don't play a lot of high end games. Next year Id imagine it will be 2gig of ram as things change so fast, one thing i like is how WP uses it's ram well vs Android. But i cant help but feel a bit left behind , but now n again i might encounter a slight lag, I did however find that in 1Gig also. Would you still buy one with 512 today??. I think Windows 10 will improve things anyhow , I did try a build but had to go back to 8.1 not ready for full time use just yet.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I had an HTC 8s - my first Windows Phone 8, it had 512MB RAM. At first I was pleased with the upgrade from the Lumia 610 (Windows Phone 7/7.8, 256MB RAM), but then soon I felt that it couldn't fluidly support a lot of apps that I wanted, such as Waze. Eventually, it just felt slow.

Got an L1020 after, which has 2GB of RAM (although only 1GB is used for apps and the other 1GB is reserved for imaging/video processing at the current OS version (Windows Phone 8.1)). Seeing the huge improvement in app compatibility, I never went back to 512MB. Even when my L1020 broke down, I got an L535DS which has 1GB of RAM. I just can't go back down to less than 1GB of RAM.:cool:

Even though Windows 10 may make 512MB devices run faster, I still can't imagine going back down to 512MB... that is if Microsoft would even start releasing 512MB W10 devices.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, I had an HTC 8s - my first Windows Phone 8, it had 512MB RAM. At first I was pleased with the upgrade from the Lumia 610 (Windows Phone 7/7.8, 256MB RAM), but then soon I felt that it couldn't fluidly support a lot of apps that I wanted, such as Waze. Eventually, it just felt slow.

Got an L1020 after, which has 2GB of RAM (although only 1GB is used for apps and the other 1GB is reserved for imaging/video processing at the current OS version (Windows Phone 8.1)). Seeing the huge improvement in app compatibility, I never went back to 512MB. Even when my L1020 broke down, I got an L535DS which has 1GB of RAM. I just can't go back down to less than 1GB of RAM.:cool:

Even though Windows 10 may make 512MB devices run faster, I still can't imagine going back down to 512MB... that is if Microsoft would even start releasing 512MB W10 devices.

I've not used Waze, but the drive maps seem ok on 512.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Other map apps were running "fine" in my HTC 8s, but Waze stood out because it was the only one the really lagged. Internet explorer also won't load certain pages, especially those that had a lot of graphics (animated weather maps, videos, etc.). Some games with "high" graphics also worked with the HTC 8s, although not all worked of course.

But it's been over 1.5 years since I lasted used that phone, and my experience with 1GB+ phones has virtually eradicated any untoward memories with 512.:wink:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've not used a 512mb WP, only 1 gig. The only android I can compare my 640XL to, is my Note 3, which had MUCH more ram. Therein lies the problem. Android is a resource hog, and memory bleed is a nightmare. I had issues running some basic tasks on the Note because the Android system keeps apps open in the background, only dumping them when you run short of ram! Most droider's will have some form of memory manager, usually C Cleaner or Cleanmaster.

The thing I noticed with WP is the way in which the ram is managed. I've not seen a glitch on the XL. My son has a lowly 435, and even that comes with 1 gig ram, and that plays games very well indeed, especially when you add in that it only has a dual core processor! The hardware seems to be better managed all round. So IMHO, you don't need to suffer 512mb, unless it's a 635, and with the pricing of WP, why not spend an extra few quid for the 640 or save a shed load of cash and buy a 435 for ?30!! I've now got one as a spare for that kind of money! Yes it's only 3G, but as a back up, it's more than capable!! We've also got a 535 (broken screen, arrrgghhhh) that for ?50, also runs 1 gig, and is more than capable, although also only 3G....

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
512 Mb is enough for me, watching videos or playing a game, no problem. My phone lacks at CPU power however. (520)I don't need A 3GB Phone that can only run apps Rt apps. Sure the hardware features are great. But i am happy with my low end phone

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930 which has 2gig of ram and my old 820 which has just 1gig. Though the 930 is very noticeably faster (so it should be, but the 820 is no slouch), neither phone has any lag problems. The 930 will switch apps faster if you have a load open and a number of explorer tabs as well due to the extra ram, but that's the only extra ram benefit I can find. I do hear that switching between running apps with a 512 device can bring the 'Resuming...' delay often but such is a rare and fleeting thing on 1gig+ devices. 512 devices are being phased out of the range so since even low end Lumias have 1gig now I would consider a little future proofing and shy away from 512.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
512 Mb is enough for me, watching videos or playing a game, no problem. My phone lacks at CPU power however. (520)I don't need A 3GB Phone that can only run apps Rt apps. Sure the hardware features are great. But i am happy with my low end phone

I have both HTC 8XT and Lumia 635 both on Sprint. My 635 with 512 ram is just as fast as my 8XT with 1gig. The bigger difference here is the quad core processor on the 635.
My only problems with the 635 is that the edge browser will randomly crash on win 10 preview, even with the latest build 10512.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have both HTC 8XT and Lumia 635 both on Sprint. My 635 with 512 ram is just as fast as my 8XT with 1gig. The bigger difference here is the quad core processor on the 635.
My only problems with the 635 is that the edge browser will randomly crash on win 10 preview, even with the latest build 10512.

Now there was an odd decision by MS. Two 635's. One 4G, one not. 4G gets 512mb and 3G got a gig!! Talk about confusing for prospective buyers!!

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a gut feeling that 512MB devices may not support Project Astoria apps. Could be wrong. Interesting though that all MS branded phones since they took over Nokia are 1GB or above. None with 512MB. Something to think about.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I think we're approaching the point where 1gig is the new 512 and 2gig is the new 1gig. So, when buying get 2gig if you can for the future, and 1gig if you must for the budget. 512 is now a second hand market issue or your backup phone.

512 is fine to use for now of course. I just wouldn't invest in one at this point.

PrplHaz4

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Kinda surprised no one mentioned the obvious here - 1gb required for android apps on W10 - or am I missing something? Shame none of the 1gb phones have the form factor of the 635 (on AT&T)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss