Planning to switch to Windows Phone - How is YouTube support?

OrbitualNoob

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys!

At the moment, I'm using a Galaxy S5 4G+ (Snapdragon 805 version), but there's just something about Windows Phone that makes me want to use it. So I am planning to sell my S5 and get a Lumia 930 (because damn, that thing's gorgeous... and it's relatively cheap ;) ). There's only one issue for me: YouTube support.
Obviously, there is no official YouTube app developed by Google, and I heard the Microsoft one is just a link to the website... so how is YouTube support in 3rd party apps?
I heard apps like TubeCast, MetroTube and MyTube are all pretty good, but most of the articles I can find on these apps are pretty old, and I've heard Google tends to change their YouTube API quite often. Are you guys having any issues with this? Does your YouTube app of choice become unusable every once in a while?
This is really a deciding factor for me, because I use my phone to watch YouTube videos basically every day.

Thanks in advance!

~Logan :)

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have MyTube and TubeCast installed and I can safely say that they have you covered.

Regarding API changes, in my 2 years using Windows Phones. The developers are quick to update their apps to support the new API's.
The developer of MyTube in particular is pretty transparent on development of the app.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
These third party apps are not old and are regularly updated by devs.

Also. Some of these apps support playing videos in the background, unlike android :)

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, YouTube support on Windows Phones has never been a problem.

In fact, with 3rd party apps like MyTube and TubeCast, you don't have to deal with ads anymore. And what's more, you get the ability to download the videos for offline viewing too. Those are the stuff that you don't get to do with the official YouTube app on Android.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
There are some great and high quality 3rd party apps. I've cycled through most and stuck with Tubecast. Plus it's universal along with a couple others so use it on Windows 10 as well. One of my go to features is casting it to my Smart TV with relative ease.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea