Are we deceiving ourselves?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Another thing to add windows gives u the opportunity to be an insider/tester so that the finished product will be better more functional and everyone has had a hand in shaping WP10 with sharing ideas and what works and don't work. Android and apple don't care what customers want they just push product at them as they don't have the insider program we have. The reason why so many apps are on other OS is because they are the top two sellers and the devs are too lazy to develop a wp variant as it wouldn't be in their "financial" best interest to do so. Instead of taking a pop at Microsoft for app development why don't you take a pop at the person/team who created the app!!?? Microsoft are willing and able to work with them how the hell are they supposed to work with a developer who isn't willing to develop!!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking recently over the faith some of us have kept with the windows phone despite all its failings and been wondering if we're not really deceiving ourselves whenever we argue it's better than android or even iPhone. I use to have a windows mobile 6.5, windows phone 7.8 and now lumia 1020 running windows 10 TP. The other day I argued with my younger brother who has a low end android phone that our Cortana is superior to their google now. "Where was Obama born?" Google now responded with clear voice response, but Cortana merely displayed some web pages on Obama. "Which is the most widely spoken language in Africa?" Google now responded with an answer, but Cortana still displayed pages. We went on and on, and most of the times google now was the winner. Then came the issue of apps. I told him the last time our Facebook app was updated was over four months and despite series of updates it still doesn't have alot of features available on other platforms' version. The same thing with twitter, instagram, WhatsApp and more. At the end, I realised that we , that have kept faith with windows phone and refused to shift ground despite clear message, are deceiving ourselves.
I have a Note 3 and a iPhone 5 as test phones. While they have advantages over WP in some departments and features, OVERALL in my opinion WP is better, which is why it's my daily driver. The UX of Android drives me crazy and the sterile over-priced UI of iOS is boring as hell. WP is the sweet spot. So are we deceiving ourselves? That's subjective. Maybe you are deceiving yourself but you're the only one who can answer that question. *shrug*

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Another thing to add windows gives u the opportunity to be an insider/tester so that the finished product will be better more functional and everyone has had a hand in shaping WP10 with sharing ideas and what works and don't work. Android and apple don't care what customers want they just push product at them as they don't have the insider program we have. The reason why so many apps are on other OS is because they are the top two sellers and the devs are too lazy to develop a wp variant as it wouldn't be in their "financial" best interest to do so. Instead of taking a pop at Microsoft for app development why don't you take a pop at the person/team who created the app!!?? Microsoft are willing and able to work with them how the hell are they supposed to work with a developer who isn't willing to develop!!

Both Apple and Google have something similar to the Insider program. Apple offers a free public beta program as well as a paid developer beta program for iOS, Mac OS X (and WatchOS for developers only) and enables a feature called feedback assistance to allow users (and developers) to makes suggestions about what they want to see in Apple's platforms, as well as bugs, and ui suggestions. Google allows users to install Andriod betas and give feedback as well.

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Both Apple and Google have something similar to the Insider program. Apple offers a free public beta program (beta.apple.com) as well as a paid developer beta program (developer.apple.com) for iOS, Mac OS X (and WatchOS for developers only) and enables a feature called feedback assistance to allow users (and developers) to makes sudjections about what they want to see in Apple's platforms, as well as bugs, and ui sudjections. Google allows users to install Andriod betas and give feedback as well.

Obviously apple have selected reading in so far as innovation, they eventually listened to their customers by making the S6.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Obviously apple have selected reading in so far as innovation, they eventually listened to their customers by making the S6.
Thats not the point, the point is unlike your original comment would suggest, both Apple and Google have an insider program of their own and do take in and listen to customer feedback and suggestions.

Also when exactly did Apple have a phone called the "s6"? If you are referring to the iPhone 6 Plus, that is simply a natural progression of the iPhone.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Windows Phone is relatively new to the market,

Its been almost 5 years mate, that's a lifetime in the modern tech world and WP is still in the state its in with people still waiting for "the next version" to fix everything. Just because some people can be objective and see the flaws doesn't make them complainers, its just the reality that WP doesn't measure up to the competition in an unbiased comparison.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Thats not the point, the point is unlike your original comment would suggest, both Apple and Google have an insider program of their own and do take in and listen to customer feedback and suggestions.

If u don't like ur windows device sell it and jump ship. Simple just don't buy a windows phone if your gonna complain.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Its been almost 5 years mate, that's a lifetime in the modern tech world and WP is still in the state its in with people still waiting for "the next version" to fix everything. Just because some people can be objective and see the flaws doesn't make them complainers, its just the reality that WP doesn't measure up to the competition in an unbiased comparison.

No one is saying wait till the next version to fix everything. I am a windows phone user and I am 100% happy with it. I love the vibrancy and the colour of it, ha ha love the way apple copied the colours for their 5s ha ha and having the same hardware and software in it as the 4s and have the cheek to charge 500+ dollar/euro for the "privilege" lol

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
If u don't like ur windows device sell it and jump ship. Simple just don't buy a windows phone if your gonna complain.

This is exactly what I was referring to. If you want the platform to grow you need to attract iOS and Android users. I do not believe the intention of the OP was to throw away his windows phone, he appeared to be venting his frustrations over the current state of the platform.

I don't mean to call you out directly but that sort of attitude is going to drive people away not keep them on the platform because let's be honest, as it stands today the Windows Phone platform has precious little when it comes to advantages over either iOS or Android. I've heard a lot of people complain about how terrible an experience Android is but honestly Android has a TON of cheap and poorly made devices on their OS and the quality handsets rarely seem to suffer from major issues (I'm saying this as someone who owns 2 Windows phones, 2 Android Phones and 4 iPhones).

If you feel so passionately about Windows Phone (and that is a good thing) offer up some genuinely helpful solutions or alternatives to the concerns the OP raised.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
No one is saying wait till the next version to fix everything. I am a windows phone user and I am 100% happy with it. I love the vibrancy and the colour of it, ha ha love the way apple copied the colours for their 5s ha ha and having the same hardware and software in it as the 4s and have the cheek to charge 500+ dollar/euro for the "privilege" lol

This is completely innacurate. The hardware in the 5S is vastly more powerful than the 4S, there is no comparison, you aren';t even referencing the model that came after the 4S, the 5S is 2 years later.... /smh. Perhaps you are confusing that with the Lumia 640, where the CPU, GPU and OS are exactly the same as its predecessor. I say this as an owner of both and a very big fan of both, especially the 640. I also own the 4S AND the 5S. Guys it is fine to not like Apple or Google, but don't be fanboish to the point that you look foolish.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Personally I recommend iPhone over Lumia.

But mind it's extremely expensive product also extremely expensive to repair.

If you can't afford such risks go get Lumia.

If you want android Asus zenfone 4C is nice budget phone but know the devices limit. Same with other model from other brand. Mind not all google play store apps works as expected. Popular games should be fine but high demand game won't run it.

Windows phone offers great user experience. The store actually reliable despite poor apps collection. All apps that can be downloaded mostly works but if they didn't it means the apps were broken not your phone. You can run asphalt 8, FIFA 15, and GTA San Andreas on your Lumia 535 but not in android devices is same price tag

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Why are you trying to dissuade people from standing up for their point of view and making themselves heard? If you want to stay silent and let others take the lead then fine, but to seek to suppress others makes me wonder if your goal is really about making your opinion seem less opposed. Could that be a factor in your approach perhaps?

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I didn't know Microsoft invented and patented colors. Also I didn't know that iPhone 4s had a 64-bit A7 processor in it like the iPhone 5s. Not being a ******, just hate when people spread misinformation.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Uh, Apple never made an "S6". And while I do like and own an iPhone 6+ because of its size, I wouldn't call size 'innovation' it is just the natural progression as people try to use phones to do more and more non-phone things. I also have a Lumia 640 that will soon die as I move my new-to-me Icon onto my Verizon account. Both are 5" phones and make much better daily drivers because of size and weight.
While I love the Windows phone experience I would be hard pressed to have it be my only phone because of the missing corporate(banks) and equipment apps.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know Microsoft invented and patented colors. Also I didn't know that iPhone 4s had a 64-bit A7 processor in it like the iPhone 5s. Not being a ******, just hate when people spread misinformation.

Nah Ms didn't patent colors hehe.. But apple did follow suit making different colors available for their phones.. Lol..

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried an android phone and returned it after a week. So yeah, there may be some deficiencies in WP, but I still prefer it over Android. And don't get me started on IOS.

Last edited:

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Aside from the hardcore MS fanboys/girls(or Google/Apple haters) out there, I don't think anyone is deceiving or deluding themselves. I think it's just that those people who've been the most patient with(or faithful to, to echo the OP) Microsoft and WP are slowly running out of patience and starting to look elsewhere, or wonder if Microsoft really believes in their mobile OS. On a side note, I don't think it says much about the WP user community when you have members of said community berating others for even entertaining the possibility of using something else. If someone finds that his/her needs are no longer being met by WP, or MS products in general, they shouldn't be berated of insulted for wanting to explore other options.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If someone finds that his/her needs are no longer being met by WP, or MS products in general, they shouldn't be berated of insulted for wanting to explore other options.
Good point! I don't think fanboys would be opposed to berating them for something else instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo