Are we deceiving ourselves?

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Uh, Apple never made an "S6". And while I do like and own an iPhone 6+ because of its size, I wouldn't call size 'innovation' it is just the natural progression as people try to use phones to do more and more non-phone things. I also have a Lumia 640 that will soon die as I move my new-to-me Icon onto my Verizon account. Both are 5" phones and make much better daily drivers because of size and weight.
While I love the Windows phone experience I would be hard pressed to have it be my only phone because of the missing corporate(banks) and equipment apps.

You are gonna love that Icon..

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
You are gonna love that Icon..

I got it this morning, went to VZW corporate store and unbelievably there was no waiting!! I think that's the first time I've ever had that happen. 20 minutes later I had the Icon active and my main number put on it and the iPhone 6+ got a new number.

And you are right, I do love this little Icon. The 640 is a whiz bang of a phone for $80 or less, but the Icon is so much better. The guy I bought it from on Ebay had WP10 on it so I fiddled with that long enough to know it isn't quite ready for primetime but seems to be on the right track. Found the 'recovery' tool online and set it back to 8.1 and it later got update 2???.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I got it this morning, went to VZW corporate store and unbelievably there was no waiting!! I think that's the first time I've ever had that happen. 20 minutes later I had the Icon active and my main number put on it and the iPhone 6+ got a new number.

And you are right, I do love this little Icon. The 640 is a whiz bang of a phone for $80 or less, but the Icon is so much better. The guy I bought it from on Ebay had WP10 on it so I fiddled with that long enough to know it isn't quite ready for primetime but seems to be on the right track. Found the 'recovery' tool online and set it back to 8.1 and it later got update 2???.
Yes, the 640 comes with update 2/Lumia Denim preloaded.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I never deceived myself :) I believe in WP for some reason, maybe it's my budget lol. Not really tho, because in that case I could've easily gone with Android, but I'm the sort of person who tends not to do what the millions of others around want me to do, so I moved away from android and ended up with WP. I did a lot of research (if you can call going through reviews doing research) so I was quite aware of the limitations this platform had, but I went ahead and took the bait. I never looked back :) Like I keep saying... The phone should work for you and if it didn't, doesn't and probably won't (when looking at the current path we're on) you should simply move on :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly what I was referring to. If you want the platform to grow you need to attract iOS and Android users. I do not believe the intention of the OP was to throw away his windows phone, he appeared to be venting his frustrations over the current state of the platform.

I don't mean to call you out directly but that sort of attitude is going to drive people away not keep them on the platform because let's be honest, as it stands today the Windows Phone platform has precious little when it comes to advantages over either iOS or Android. I've heard a lot of people complain about how terrible an experience Android is but honestly Android has a TON of cheap and poorly made devices on their OS and the quality handsets rarely seem to suffer from major issues (I'm saying this as someone who owns 2 Windows phones, 2 Android Phones and 4 iPhones).

If you feel so passionately about Windows Phone (and that is a good thing) offer up some genuinely helpful solutions or alternatives to the concerns the OP raised.

Look I cant help it when people are coming from android and get a windows phone and start complaining. I have every right to defend my mobile OS. I don't work for windows I don't care about android and apple customers and I'm not the one stopping people buying them. I cant help it that they didn't research the phones before buying them! Return for a refund and oh ya people trashing windows OS is way worse then me saying to the user sell their phone because if they do it would go to a genuine windows lover, trashing windows is worse because mist business is done through word of mouth an you have apple/android fan boys and girls coming on lying about having a windows phone then coming on here and trashing it!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
This is completely innacurate. The hardware in the 5S is vastly more powerful than the 4S, there is no comparison, you aren';t even referencing the model that came after the 4S, the 5S is 2 years later.... /smh. Perhaps you are confusing that with the Lumia 640, where the CPU, GPU and OS are exactly the same as its predecessor. I say this as an owner of both and a very big fan of both, especially the 640. I also own the 4S AND the 5S. Guys it is fine to not like Apple or Google, but don't be fanboish to the point that you look foolish.

Not fanboish at all I am sick to the back teeth of people criticizing the windows phone seriously like there is plenty reviews out there and people just gotta search for them!!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Why are you trying to dissuade people from standing up for their point of view and making themselves heard? If you want to stay silent and let others take the lead then fine, but to seek to suppress others makes me wonder if your goal is really about making your opinion seem less opposed. Could that be a factor in your approach perhaps?

Not dissuading anyone from making a point but this forum is full of repetitive points its getting so old now and starting to feel like nonsense and just a punching bag for windows now!! I mean if you bought a product and don't like it, don't come on here and whine about it, bring it back, get the phone you want and get on with having a better smartphone experience!!!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I never deceived myself :) I believe in WP for some reason, maybe it's my budget lol. Not really tho, because in that case I could've easily gone with Android, but I'm the sort of person who tends not to do what the millions of others around want me to do, so I moved away from android and ended up with WP. I did a lot of research (if you can call going through reviews doing research) so I was quite aware of the limitations this platform had, but I went ahead and took the bait. I never looked back :) Like I keep saying... The phone should work for you and if it didn't, doesn't and probably won't (when looking at the current path we're on) you should simply move on :)

Just wanted to say a personal thank you :)

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

Didn't know the icon could get 8.1 update 2. �

I currently use build 512 on my Icon. It has a few quirks one being lock screen data being slow to load. Nothing yet to make me roll back. If you decide to go win 10 again be sure to hard reset it afterwards speed stability and battery life improves substantially.. Patiently waiting for the next build 😁

Ps. After hard resetting let the phone sit a couple hours or more, just walk away from it.. Core apps and such are still downloading in the background.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I didn't know Microsoft invented and patented colors. Also I didn't know that iPhone 4s had a 64-bit A7 processor in it like the iPhone 5s. Not being a ******, just hate when people spread misinformation.

How much are apple paying u ha ha not even gonna get into this again lol, u had boring iphone white iphone silver next pone iphone white and oh ya iphone black then silver then white. Nokia Lumia came out with polycarbonate colours so people around u know your rocking a Lumia apple didn't like this so they brought colour to their phones! Coincidence lol. Maybe Microsoft should of patent colours, fair play to Samsung for not jumping on Apples bandwagon they went for the more metallic look further inventing themselves! Oh no a windows user giving Samsung a complement!! Pity Android and Apple users don't do the same!!!

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't really get why people have to prove things like this to other people. If you like the hardware and the software is enough for you, who cares?

If anyone tried to prove to me my phone wasn't as good as theirs, in any serious manner, I would just give them a blank stare and tell them I have important things to worry about.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't really get why people have to prove things like this to other people. If you like the hardware and the software is enough for you, who cares?

If anyone tried to prove to me my phone wasn't as good as theirs, in any serious manner, I would just give them a blank stare and tell them I have important things to worry about.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Hehe You are a rare breed (no disrespect intended).. Lol 2-3 generations ago it was the fastest car / truck or the best dirt bike.. Then the fastest puter, now its smartphones Hehe..

However this consumer desire and competitive nature is what keeps innovation and tech advances cooking.. If everyone had been satisfied with black and white tv we would probably still be watching them today instead of 1080p or 4k big screens Hehe.

Kopacha

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel like i'm "decieving myself" .. as an old school and heavy smartphone user since 2002 and the first Symbian devices, i've seen it all after that up to this moment. Changed more devices and OS during the year, i care to remember. But since 2010 i've settled down. I'm fine with everything so far W8.1 and upcoming W10 has to offer. Had enough with Apple's bull****s, and even more then enough with Google's pretencios crap they're calling mobile OS.

So, while there is a Win Phone/Mobile devices and OS being made i'm with it. IF at some point in the future it's no more, then i'll think over it :)

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Hehe You are a rare breed.. Lol 2-3 generations ago it was the fastest car / truck or the best dirt bike.. Then the fastest puter, now its smartphones Hehe..

However this consumer desire and competitive nature is what keeps innovation and tech advances cooking.. If everyone had been satisfied with black and white tv we would probably still be watching them today instead of 1080p or 4k big screens Hehe.

Exactly and if current windows users have anything to add they should pop them up in the suggestions area of the Microsoft site go through the proper channels and maybe the innovation would start then. Why isn't it that easy for some lol

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Look I cant help it when people are coming from android and get a windows phone and start complaining.

- Who asked you to do that? The OP appeared to be trying to foster civil discussion and for all you know he might have been looking for a reassuring voice on the Windows Phone side that would point out any potential errors in his thinking (if any) and to be optimistic about upcoming features.

I have every right to defend my mobile OS.

- Sure, if you really feel like you need to do that in this thread.

I don't work for windows I don't care about android and apple customers and I'm not the one stopping people buying them.

- That's obvious, but you should care, if you care about Windows Phone growing or even surviving as a platform.

I cant help it that they didn't research the phones before buying them!

- It is almost like you expect someone to know everything there is to know when switching platforms. Some folks have questions, and most just want a device that works and don't read articles and forum posts before buying. Should they?, I suppose that is up for debate.

Return for a refund and oh ya people trashing windows OS is way worse then me saying to the user sell their phone because if they do it would go to a genuine windows lover,

- So returning a phone because people are frustrated with something means good business for Microsoft? (that a return to a store means one more phone for a "genuine windows lover") ? This doesn't even make sense, you are letting your emotions get the best of you here.

Trashing windows is worse because mist business is done through word of mouth an you have apple/android fan boys and girls coming on lying about having a windows phone then coming on here and trashing it!

- Wait you mean like you JUST did when you spoke completely and utterly ignorantly about the iPhone 5S when you compared it to the 4S? LOL, ok right. I may be wrong but I don't recall seeing a SINGLE example of that in this thread.

Look, you have every right to be passionate about the mobile platform you sunk your money (and clearly your emotions) into. I am not trying to attack you, I don't know you, but you should really think about the way you are approaching this. You may find we are not on opposite sides here, I just can't stand it when people speak ignorantly about iOS or Android. You are NOT helping yourself, and most certainly not helping WP when you talk like this to potential switchers, or people who are thinking about switching one way or the other.

I think at this point we have exhausted the usefulness of this thread because you have very eloquently demonstrated the point of the OP.

Have a nice day (no really, I'm not being sarcastic).

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Oh and just in case this foolish comment was supposed to be aimed at me.

Trashing windows is worse because mist business is done through word of mouth an you have apple/android fan boys and girls coming on lying about having a windows phone then coming on here and trashing it!

Here are just a few of my phones. I took the picture with my 5S. My 4S, 3GS and other Android Phone are in a box currently in my closet and I didn't think it would be necessary for me to dig those out to prove my point.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
How much are apple paying u ha ha not even gonna get into this again lol, u had boring iphone white iphone silver next pone iphone white and oh ya iphone black then silver then white. Nokia Lumia came out with polycarbonate colours so people around u know your rocking a Lumia apple didn't like this so they brought colour to their phones! Coincidence lol. Maybe Microsoft should of patent colours, fair play to Samsung for not jumping on Apples bandwagon they went for the more metallic look further inventing themselves! Oh no a windows user giving Samsung a complement!! Pity Android and Apple users don't do the same!!!

Nokia wasnt the first company to use colors in a phone for one, nor where they the first company to use colors in a product. Apple (like every company period) can use colors in their products and are not coping anyone for the use of colors. It actually quiet stupid to suggest Microsoft should attempt to patent colors, because they simply can't. Samsung can use any material in their products that they so choose, like Apple and Microsoft and everyone company period. Don't know why you seem to think they cannot. Microsoft/Nokia doesn't own colors or the use of them, Apple doesn't own mental or the use of it. If a company want to give their customers more choice by offering their product in a different color, or material than great, more choice. Its not like Nokia had a iconic product color that Apple used, Nokia used basic colors, that are available to anyone and everyone, period!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Nokia wasnt the first company to use colors in a phone for one, nor where they the first company to use colors in a product. Apple (like every company period) can use colors in their products and are not coping anyone for the use of colors. It actually quiet stupid to suggest Microsoft should attempt to patent colors, because they simply can't. Samsung can use any material in their products that they so choose, like Apple and Microsoft and everyone company period. Don't know why you seem to think they cannot. Microsoft/Nokia doesn't own colors or the use of them, Apple doesn't own mental or the use of it. If a company want to give their customers more choice by offering their product in a different color, or material than great, more choice. Its not like Nokia had a iconic product color that Apple used, Nokia used basic colors, that are available to anyone and everyone, period!

Nokia and Sony Ericsson were the pioneers of pretty looking colourful phones, every phone made by apple was just a rehashed version of its former selves. I was saying Samsung was actually showing innovation with their new phones I have to say that the most innovative phone companies are Nokia/Microsoft and Samsung. Huge difference between Phone manufacturer and OS. I think people are confused between the two!!

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Look I cant help it when people are coming from android and get a windows phone and start complaining.

- Who asked you to do that? The OP appeared to be trying to foster civil discussion and for all you know he might have been looking for a reassuring voice on the Windows Phone side that would point out any potential errors in his thinking (if any) and to be optimistic about upcoming features.

I have every right to defend my mobile OS.

- Sure, if you really feel like you need to do that in this thread.

I don't work for windows I don't care about android and apple customers and I'm not the one stopping people buying them.

- That's obvious, but you should care, if you care about Windows Phone growing or even surviving as a platform.

I cant help it that they didn't research the phones before buying them!

- It is almost like you expect someone to know everything there is to know when switching platforms. Some folks have questions, and most just want a device that works and don't read articles and forum posts before buying. Should they?, I suppose that is up for debate.

Return for a refund and oh ya people trashing windows OS is way worse then me saying to the user sell their phone because if they do it would go to a genuine windows lover,

- So returning a phone because people are frustrated with something means good business for Microsoft? (that a return to a store means one more phone for a "genuine windows lover") ? This doesn't even make sense, you are letting your emotions get the best of you here.

- Wait you mean like you JUST did when you spoke completely and utterly ignorantly about the iPhone 5S when you compared it to the 4S? LOL, ok right. I may be wrong but I don't recall seeing a SINGLE example of that in this thread.

Look, you have every right to be passionate about the mobile platform you sunk your money (and clearly your emotions) into. I am not trying to attack you, I don't know you, but you should really think about the way you are approaching this. You may find we are not on opposite sides here, I just can't stand it when people speak ignorantly about iOS or Android. You are NOT helping yourself, and most certainly not helping WP when you talk like this to potential switchers, or people who are thinking about switching one way or the other.

I think at this point we have exhausted the usefulness of this thread because you have very eloquently demonstrated the point of the OP.

Have a nice day (no really, I'm not being sarcastic).

Are you kidding me I actually zoned out reading this not going to repeat myself I stand by what I say and that's all I have to add. So its alright for Apple and Androids taking a pop at us Windows phone users then? Just because they pay their app devs more money so the loyalty to windows phone never happens as money is the driving force behind the major app devs like Snapchat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99