820 died and thinking of jumping ship

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
As title, 820 died (after years of use) and thinking of jumping ship! I don't say it lightly as I am and have been loyal to WP for years. Still love and much prefer their design language over anything else including the tiles etc. However with my few year old 820 dying I was thinking what WP phone do I buy; this should be joyous but other than waiting for a hopeful MS WP 10 flagship nothing at all is delivering what I want especially with win 10 round the corner!! Even then I'm worried about the size. I don't like large devices, but do like resolution.

Yes some existing devices will upgrade to 10 but most are still missing active cortana (chip dependency I know).

When spending a few hundred I should be jumping to buy something with a grin but I'm not. In that pause I've began using a mates phone - HTC One (old too) to sample the OS. I have a work android but never used in anger. The few days with this, and obviously the none existent app gap has been great.

Ultimately now thinking and looking at what the android market has and even that brings a much wider (grin like) feeling to the table.

Should I pause? Should I jump? I suppose I can always return..... One day

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Android has come a long way. One thing I still haven't found that makes me happy in the Android world is camera, size in hand and battery life. And because of that I keep my Lumia with me at all times.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
As title, 820 died (after years of use) and thinking of jumping ship! I don't say it lightly as I am and have been loyal to WP for years. Still love and much prefer their design language over anything else including the tiles etc. However with my few year old 820 dying I was thinking what WP phone do I buy; this should be joyous but other than waiting for a hopeful MS WP 10 flagship nothing at all is delivering what I want especially with win 10 round the corner!! Even then I'm worried about the size. I don't like large devices, but do like resolution.

Yes some existing devices will upgrade to 10 but most are still missing active cortana (chip dependency I know).

When spending a few hundred I should be jumping to buy something with a grin but I'm not. In that pause I've began using a mates phone - HTC One (old too) to sample the OS. I have a work android but never used in anger. The few days with this, and obviously the none existent app gap has been great.

Ultimately now thinking and looking at what the android market has and even that brings a much wider (grin like) feeling to the table.

Should I pause? Should I jump? I suppose I can always return..... One day

Could always try out something like the Moto G - cheap affordable phone that has a lot of bang for buck. Running near-stock Android too. That should give you a better idea of what to do ahead of the new flagships :p I've already decided I'm moving to Android for the wearables and the change in UI. Still love Windows' UI design language though

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
With all the security scares on Android currently doing the rounds it confirms my determination to go nowhere near them (other than my Android tablet with no actual personal information on it which I use as a media player).

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If you like WP and the 810, why not buy a used one to last until the new WP phones are introduced this fall. It's only a few weeks and I'm sure the Android phones will still be there then. I would hate to see you jump ship and then fall in love with the new WP phones and be stuck.

Just my 2 Cents.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I won't be stuck. The plan would be a handset to put me on and if I liked and fancied the new flagship then a sell and buy. That's another reason why android (right now), they retain their value like double fold over WP handsets!! Shame but true.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought about Android when I moved to TMO and had to buy a new phone for the ETF money. The OS is about as fiddly as iOS, there's a security threat every month, not a fan of Google's ****** moves towards WP, battery life still seems to be an issue and lower end handsets are the donkey's balls. So, I spent 4x more money to get the iPhone 6 because I know I can actually sell it in the future when WP flagships arrive.

If you're having a good time with Android, go for it. For me, I'd rather have good battery life, not surrender all my info to Google and not have to worry about some new security exploit they found. Peace of mind is worth it, considering WP apps cover 90%+ of what I need.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I just returned to Windows Phone about a month ago and love it! Was using about everything over the last couple years since leaving m 920 behind. Picked up a used like new M8 Windows and couldn't be happier. The only gripe I have with this phone is the camera but it's working great while I wait on the new flagships to come out. Love the battery life and the fact that nothing crashes. But with that said you have to use what works best for you. Not everyone will find Windows To suit their needs at this point. Hopefully windows 10 mobile will bring some more into the fold.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
The eco system and turnaround on handsets just isn't keeping pace enough. I'm not alone it appears on people "waiting on flagship". That should never really be the case. Guess it doesn't help however with the fact manufacturers I hope are holding off for WP 10. Any current WP phone at a guess would have an initial release date of 1yr+ ago - to spend money that isn't good enough. For now I continue to use a friend's HTC M7, can't take pics which bums me but a handset at least whilst I decide / wait for press release date.

And Laura is right, that is huge!!!! :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa