Oh God, the Lumia 950/950 XL sucks....Except wait....

antnauman

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Btw, can someone tell me why the phone in leaked photo has the same start screen as of the original render months ago? (and with the old smaller tile size)? Are they testing 1st insider build on it?

Yes background is different, but why that background is blurred between the tile spaces too?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Define "premium looks".

Its when the products passes functionality and becomes a piece of art.

So how would i see a phone being a piece of art...

If its a plastic mold, produced in fraction of seconds with no "metaphorical effort" it looks cheap.

It becomes premium, if the product comes from a metal slab, that is then CNCed carefully with high precisions metal work to achieve a very good looking finish. that makes it more premium. think Swiss watches.

When a phone design is not a copy of another, again, effort needed to create a new design, and maybe a story behind it too.

Art is something that you cant measure, but it somehow shows.

Last edited:

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping for the flagships to have touch capacitive.. They did not.. Then i was hoping for the metal frame, pointed edges and smaller bezzels.. They did not. The new flagships are < 930/1520. :/
Now the only hope is the 830 successor. Hope they dont mess up with that too. Wanted to buy the new flagship or mid range but i think i have to go for 830/930/1520. :/

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping for the flagships to have touch capacitive.. They did not.. Then i was hoping for the metal frame, pointed edges and smaller bezzels.. They did not. The new flagships are < 930/1520. :/
Now the only hope is the 830 successor. Hope they dont mess up with that too. Wanted to buy the new flagship or mid range but i think i have to go for 830/930/1520. :/
In terms of looks they are generic but in terms of functionality and performance they are perfect. For the first time we are getting the latest specs on time, continuum support, and expandable storage on a freaking flagship. The best part is that they come in two sizes without features missing from either of them.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am really excited about these phones, my only issue is that the Talkman (my intended purchase) is bigger than the 640, and I don't want to see phones getting bigger and bigger. I love my 640 but it's at the outside edge of what is comfortable to hold (I am not a dude). Also not jazzed about Qi wireless charging. I had it on another device and I found it pretty overrated--for me it just added too much weight to the device (just my experience, I am so happy you love your qi wireless charging). I am fairly drooling over the camera and all the other specs though.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
looks do matter. many give importance to the elegant look of the phone rather than what is inside.. then why else people would buy iphone with outdated hardware?

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone that says that the looks of the phone doesn't matter and all they care about are the internals is kidding themselves. There are a ton of sexy phones out there that also perform. There is no reason a phone can't look good and perform well. None. And for the record, I am someone that DOES NOT put a case on my phones for the simple fact that it's dumb to buy a beautiful device only to cover it up with an ugly otter box.

So while the photos of the phones leave me disappointed and underwhelmed, I will reserve final judgement until I see them in person.

The thing I'm most disappointed in is Qi charging on the 950. If it is not integrated and requires the purchase of a case, I won't buy it, period. Premium devices should have premium features built in. I shouldn't have to shell out a premium price for a phone and the have to purchase accessories to utilize a feature like this.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
In terms of looks they are generic but in terms of functionality and performance they are perfect. For the first time we are getting the latest specs on time, continuum support, and expandable storage on a freaking flagship. The best part is that they come in two sizes without features missing from either of them.
Specs wise they are beasts.. But they made ugly phones.. I liked the 950 a bit but not good as compared to 930 Look at the android flagships for eg one m9, s6edge or an iphone.. Do u think any android/ios user would switch to WP for such bad looking plastic flagship device? I think no

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Specs wise they are beasts.. But they made ugly phones.. I liked the 950 a bit but not good as compared to 930 Look at the android flagships for eg one m9, s6edge or an iphone.. Do u think any android/ios user would switch to WP for such bad looking plastic flagship device? I think no

Those u mention, how good the functionality?

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Honestly the only issue with appearance is that shade of blue. Not my favorite blue. I would go with a silvery powder blue or the cyan. Maybe the leaked photos with that continuum dongle suggests its brighter than the renders?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
ALL I want is a phone that doesn't require a case. Then we will talk about Looks.

I don't know how people keep buying phones that are not practical without a case.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Poll ? What do you think of Cityman and Talkman Windows Phone leaks and renders? | Windows Central
I was excited about the 950, but when the press renders came out, I noticed it still has capacitive buttons. That makes me less excited.

Its not that I don't like capacitive buttons... I have owned many phones both with and without. It's that I absolutely despise the trend toward massive phones with jumbotron screens that I cannot carry or use comfortably. Since the leaks indicate the 950 would have a 5.5" screen, doing away with capacitive buttons would have kept it about the same size as my Icon while allowing the bigger screen. But if it retains capacitive buttons, the phone just grows bigger.

I know those of us who like smaller phones are a rarity, but you would at least think it would warrant a single smaller device without dropping down to the cheap level. How about a 950 XS, 950, 950 XL? :grin: Maybe with a 4.7" or 5" screen.

If I have to go with a bigger phone on my next purchase, I will just sit back and see if MS actually builds a Surface phone. At least then I can say "Hey, I can't comfortably hold this phone, it won't fit in my pocket at all... but at least it will run full blown desktop programs.

Please review the photos, they are soft buttons not capacitive, this also addresses other's concerns for bezel sizes.

Link to photos Poll ? What do you think of Cityman and Talkman Windows Phone leaks and renders? | Windows Central

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, if I was prejudging the lumia 730 only by renders and pictures, then I would never bought it because it doesn't resemble in any way the feeling holding it in hand and using it..!
Take also into consideration that 950 (or whatever they'll call it) sports a 5.2 inch OLED display with an obsered ppi count that will be, no doubt, a showstopper to look at. Now combine the display with the specs which are top notch (even by Android standards) and you have a winner!

The only area that worries me is the pricing on launch day, they have to avoid falling in the same path like they did with the 730 and 830 one year ago..
Although both devices were very good offerings, their lauch prices were very hard to justify..
The 730 launched for 330 euro and the 830 for over 400 euro and the reaction from potential buyers (like myself) was pretty bad.
Those devices only got traction after a couple of moths where their price dropped to somewhat reasonable levels.
Namely the 730, two months after initial release droped to 250 euro and the 830 in the 300 euro range (well at least in Greece)

They HAVE TO price them right from the get-go (just like they did with the 640!)
If they ask, for example, 700 euros for the 950 and 800+ euros for the 950xl then they lost the flagship game immediately, because iPhone6s will be launched in the next month or so and frankly, the majority of people (counting in many WP users) will prefer it..

But in the end, let's just wait and see what it is like and what it has to offer, and then we talk about if it is a good device or not!

Good example. The pricing at launch for the 830 was really, REALLY bad. Now, the 950/950xl being flagship devices, I'm concerned they'll price them similar to launch prices for the iPhone 6 (for the 950) and 6S (for the 950xl), as well as high-end Android devices. I really hope they don't and that instead they promote them by offering them at a more competitive price.

I'm a big fan of Windows and Windows Phone, but being realistic, I believe they can't compete head to head at the same price point in the US yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)