Oh God, the Lumia 950/950 XL sucks....Except wait....

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy Note 5 is incredibly boring looking.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
You know what you're right. It's boring to you and that's all that matters. If you think curves and glass and metal look boring while a single piece of polycarbonate looks great then that's you.Personally the Note 5 looks very high end to me and millions of other people think the same. We're all right in the end as there's no universal correct answer to what makes something look beautiful to one person or the next. 👍

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Note 5 is incredibly boring looking.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

not for me
attachment.php

Attachments

• 30-630.1945250030.jpg
    30-630.1945250030.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 63

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the factors that should be taken into account is how other, non-WP ****** sites are looking at these. So far they seem to think they look great.
I think great may be stretching it a little and if you read the comments from those same non WP fancy sites(people that actually own the iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S6, etc.) they're pretty much getting a great laugh at the latest render. I think the biggest thing here for me is the time that they had to think the design through for a flagship. A flagship is supposed to distinguish itself from budget and entry level phones. Based on the leaks(the one where it's laying on the floor) it looks just like the 640/640XL. I don't see how they scrapped the McLaren but couldn't use the same form factor without the gimmicky 3d touch screen. These flagships are basically a single piece of polycarbonate with some buttons on the side. How hard is it to come up with that especially when we've already seen it before? It's not even new. It's like Ford took a Focus and stuffed the muscle and speed of a Mustang and called it their new sports car with the same Focus exterior.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
The Surface tells a different story, as the final design looks great.

But i really hated the design process of the Surface, where Microsoft pulled a big hardware testing initiative during the past 3 years, screwing everyone who ever bought a surface before version 3. like my self.

I seriously cant believe they approved the first hinge and the first charger. they fail measurably on sooo many levels.

Agree, a high school student could do something better than the magnetic connector on a Surface Pro1.

They knew what they had to do. They just had to do ?something that was at par with the Macbook connector and something you could connect in darkness or with bad eyes?.

A ?close? copy (without breaking any patents) would have been good enough. No need to invent a new wheel.
The connector on SP3 is "OK" but still not as good as the Macbook connector.

jawash22

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, most phones look boring and the same anyways from a straight on front and rear view.....Look at the iPhone product page and tell me it looks high end with those bezels and plain design, plus ugly stripes!....boring as hell, but in person and in hand it's gorgeous.
iPhone-6.png

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
This is the flagship design we were supposed to get. Aka the cancelled McLaren. They could've easily used this premium design without the buggy 3D touch screen technology.uploadfromtaptalk1441076453413.jpguploadfromtaptalk1441076460591.jpg
780dbcd6982cc21ef6b82685982e8578.jpg

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft should bring Lumia 940/XL as well as other Lumias on the design language of Lumia 925, plus removable back cover like that of Lumia 830.
Honestly, the designs of Lumias in 2015 is poor. ALL THE LUMIAS should have Aluminium rounded frames like that of Lumia 925 or Xperia Z3+ or at least solid hard polycarbonate frames like that of Xperia M4 Aqua, the front screen Glass panel should sit perfectly with no gaps with Display Panel and meet the corners of phones with no gaps between them.
The fully removable back covers like that of Lumia 630 or 640 have results giving creaks between back cover and back body of the phones and the gaps between the front corners and glass panel of the phones is too much.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you honestly think these design renders if would come true would appeal to any other Android Or Iphone user to look at these phones seriously for buying?

Yes, disliking metal phones without removable battery and even sd card support is pretty common. However people will still buy their brand if they don't have other options. And since almost every Flagship is going that way you can't really choose. So thank God Microsoft.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Same goes for Samsung S6 for example, I'd buy it for the specs and not 'Cos I would get a glass back without battery and SD card.. Mehh.. Processor, Camera performance, Screen quality. Yes.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, disliking metal phones without removable battery and even sd card support is pretty common. However people will still buy their brand if they don't have other options. And since almost every Flagship is going that way you can't really choose. So thank God Microsoft.
Won't it be better Lumia smartphones with Aluminium frames or even hard polycarbonate frames but still with removable back shell and Battery like that of Lumia 830, rather than fully removable back shell like Lumia 640?
The fully removable back covers like that of Lumia 640 or 635 give creaks and gaps between back cover and back body of the phones and the gaps between the front corners and glass panel of the phones are too much. So, I hate this kind of design.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Won't it be better Lumia smartphones with Aluminium frames or even hard polycarbonate frames but still with removable back shell and Battery like that of Lumia 830, rather than fully removable back shell like Lumia 640?
The fully removable back covers like that of Lumia 640 or 635 give creaks and gaps between back cover and back body of the phones and the gaps between the front corners and glass panel of the phones are too much. So, I hate this kind of design.

I have 830 and 735, and as much as 830 should feel "premium" I'm not very happy about dents on the Aluminium frame that I cannot replace with a new shell like I can on 735. No need of a repair if you can just spend 25? on a new shell.

And surprisingly the 735 has no gaps between the shell and the phone's hardware, while my 830's Aluminium frame has gaps on the bottom side that leaks light from the capacitive buttons, and the plastic cover's hole for the Camera does not fit correctly.

However an idea of having a harder piece of Polycarbonate as a frame would be nice too. Although I'd prefer smaller costs of a repair with a flagship.

Yet that's just me who prefers Specifications over material used or design to some point.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The people here defending Microsoft's decisions so hard will change their tune as soon as/if the rumored Surface phone comes out. Then they'll be praising it for its non basic and premium design. I would like to see how many people saying the 950/950XL designs are so great would pick them over the Surface phone. It's so sad. I love Microsoft but I'm not blind to the point where I make excuses for every choice they make especially the ones that make you go hmmm.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I came to these forums because i'm tired of Android, and tired of rooting to get what i want. There are enough apps in the windows store, to keep me happy. My LG G3 contract will be up soon, and i really liked the design of the 640XL. However, i'm holding out for the 950XL, because i like the faster processor. The "give and take" in this forum is refreshing, but it's starting to get reminiscent of the old Crackberry forums. Everyone should just agree to disagree, period. I do like new thoughts and ideas. It's just the way that they are put forward that's a little disturbing. :winktongue:

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The people here defending Microsoft's decisions so hard will change their tune as soon as/if the rumored Surface phone comes out. Then they'll be praising it for its non basic and premium design. I would like to see how many people saying the 950/950XL designs are so great would pick them over the Surface phone. It's so sad. I love Microsoft but I'm not blind to the point where I make excuses for every choice they make especially the ones that make you go hmmm.

Why does user have to be blind because they like these designs? Daniel Rubino said it himself....the odd thing is, it is windows phone users whining about these designs when non-windows phone users(aka the ones usually bashing windows phone) say they look pretty good. Irony.

Please don't tell me what I will do if a surface phone comes out? When I buy a phone I rarely pay attention to how it looks. After all I have owned phones such as the Microsoft Kin, Kyocera Echo(Dual Screen Android Phone...seriously look up how ugly it was), Motorola cliq, backflip and many other phone.

Why? I brought them because they looked cool/unique to me....not because they were pretty. I brought them for the FEATURES of the phone. For Microsoft Kin, I love the kin studio/spot(which they would bring it back to windows 10 somehow) and I love pulling my Echo out and being able to watch a video on one screen and have a text message open on the other.

I had the xpera play which was ugly as sin simply because I could play playstation on it. It could have been way better designed and its camera sucked royally(this was Pre-lumia) but I got it for its features...not its looks.

As far as a surface phone, I'd get it if it had a better camera on Front and back than the new flagships and it brought something new feature wise.

Premium to me is not something made out of metal and is just pretty....Premium to me is something that sets trends(like the 1020 with its epic camera) or the 1st phablet for the windows phone ecosystem(Lumia 1520) that brought me my favorite phone.

Premium to me is being able to run new windows 10 features with no lag because it has amazing performance.

That is precisely why apple users stick with IOS.Not for a design but because Apple brings them a quality product that builds on what the previous iPhone brought them....even with its redundant design.

And that's what these Lumias likely will do...bring me new additions on top of an amazing Lumia experience.

Besides
I like my colors....and if a surface phone cant bring me colors like I have on my Lumia, then that kills a lot of my interest already.

Let people have their opinions without you labeling them negatively because they disagree with you. After all even with Samsung's cheap plastic designs up until recently, no one denied that a Galaxy S4 or S5 was a premium device even when manufacturers had begun using glass and metal by then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo