Oh God, the Lumia 950/950 XL sucks....Except wait....

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware people didn't like the way it looks. Kind of a weird stance as it looks similar to most other phones on the market...but anyway.
To address one of your statements "saying it looks cheap": I was manning a booth at a show, next to the Windows Phones, back when the Lumia 800 came out, and I observed something VERY interesting. People from Europe LOVED the Lumia 800 and HATED the Samsung Focus. And the opposite opinion was held by the Asian folks. Folks from the US were pretty 50/50 on design preference.
Also worth considering - from what I've read, only Apple makes money on their phones and while Samsung has made money on a few of their phones, last year they didn't make money either.
Not sure what to take from all of that, but it seemed relevant here.
Cheers.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just some early sketches and ideas of what a flagship could look like with full renders to follow.uploadfromtaptalk1441314780153.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1441314795944.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1441314808540.JPG

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Just some early sketches and ideas of what a flagship could look like with full renders to follow.View attachment 111617View attachment 111618View attachment 111619

You do know that designing a phone, flagship or otherwise is more than drawings and renders. You have to accommodate things like mics,speakers,attenas,digitizers, cameras and sensors and lenses both front and rear plus the battery simcard placement.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
You do know that designing a phone, flagship or otherwise is more than drawings and renders. You have to accommodate things like mics,speakers,attenas,digitizers, cameras and sensors and lenses both front and rear plus the battery simcard placement.

Trust me I do but everything starts with an overall design or vision.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
What's absolutely hilarious is people are getting all worked up over this in the first place. Smartphones are slabs and what else can you do with a slab that hasn't already been done? The majority of these device already look the same. Also most of you seem to change phones like you change your underwear so who cares? You'll move on to the next device soon enough anyway. I've never had a lumia but will consider the 950XL (if my carried offers it) simply because it bigger than the Neo I have now.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Trust me I do but everything starts with an overall design or vision.

And then comprimises have to be made in order to fit those designs or the designs have to be compromised to fit whats going inside.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It's surprising that there is no fingerprint scanner thought. Paying with Windows Hello would be cool too. :D just an idea. I don't actually need it as this paying option is not available just yet around my place.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
And then comprimises have to be made in order to fit those designs or the designs have to be compromised to fit whats going inside.

And then every once in a while a device breaks the mold of what was done before. That's called innovation. It doesn't happen without trying something new. New form factors. New features. Something to set it apart. From a physical perspective these flagships aren't even close to even trying anything new. I'm just having a little fun and maybe showing that even with just a little effort they could've created a far more interesting device after more than a year to develop it.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how many of the people frantically complaining were ever actually planning on buying a flagship Windows phone.

I do. I am so ready to upgrade my L1520 but not with this low/mid-end looking device. I'm betting on a Surface Phone. Make it happen MS.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how many of the people frantically complaining were ever actually planning on buying a flagship Windows phone.

I was wondering if anyone who thought it looked acceptable ever owned any flagship before. (Cause it looks like any old midrange device they'd be used to. ;) )

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
This was the last windowsphone, but insurance cancelled it, in the future it will be the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Are you implying that the iPhones are fine because a Nokia phone can be broken? Because the iPhone 6 loses in every drop test comparison I've ever seen.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't agree with the OP more. Personally, I'm glad Microsoft is not skimping on any hardware specs, nor the new software functionality that W10 mobile brings with it like continuum and windows hello.

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Are you implying that the iPhones are fine because a Nokia phone can be broken? Because the iPhone 6 loses in every drop test comparison I've ever seen.

What I'm trying to say is there's less support for wp in software and hardware. It doesn't really matter how strong ur phone is, It's all about the SOFTWARE!! Nokia phones are strong ok I get it! What about SOFTWARE? Microsoft/Nokia they are very weak in this category

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What I'm trying to say is there's less support for wp in software and hardware. It doesn't really matter how strong ur phone is, It's all about the SOFTWARE!! Nokia phones are strong ok I get it! What about SOFTWARE? Microsoft/Nokia they are very weak in this category

What matters to me is that it has the software I need. I'm kinda happy that it doesn't have Snapchat and 2 trillion versions of Candy Crush, giving it much less of a taint of idiocy.

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
What matters to me is that it has the software I need. I'm kinda happy that it doesn't have Snapchat and 2 trillion versions of Candy Crush, giving it much less of a taint of idiocy.

I used to say that, but you know what whatever makes you happy dude then be it, like what I said been using windowsphone for 5 years men,it's just that att and asurion did me wrong with my 1520 paid off the phone and I was paying 6.99 insurance plus the 3.99 gps tracking then when the time I needed to replace it they told me they don't have that phone anymore and they are sending me an android phone which is according to them it is comparable to windowsphone after all this years of being loyal to the platform that's how they treated me dude, it's just time to get out of a unsupported platform I'm sorry!!

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
So after sketching and throwing around some ideas I finally came up with a design I really like. The proportions are a little off since I didn't use a ruler but I think you can get a feel for the design. I may do full renders to upload soon or some more polished sketches. The phone is a mix of premium metal and polycarbonate.
b1fc96a4d097fcb55618a9b09fd724ff.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1442606846656.JPGuploadfromtaptalk1442606879943.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss