Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Pass experience has often shown that all though most commenters in these forums are negative that they don't represent the opinion of the majority. I'm willing to bet that such is the case here.

On many tech sites that have posted these leaks, everyone has been mentioning that these do not look premium at all. Once again, these could be wrong and we are making a fuss about nothing. But the actual image attached to that "wizard" looks bad. Microsoft saw success with the 640XL and is trying to copy the same style but add better components to it. But they don't realize success was as a result of PRICE. So if they can price it really low, fine people may buy it. Heck, a recent Chinese phone company put all the premium components into a cheap phone on android and is selling it super cheap. Maybe that is Microsoft's goal. Premium components, cheap phone. We won't know till their showcase. But they can't expect people to put down a lot of money for these phones, I hope not. The only reason I bought the Lumia 830 is because it looked good. I would have not bought any other phone otherwise.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Your not the only one. I also really like the design! Looks great to me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
On many tech sites that have posted these leaks, everyone has been mentioning that these do not look premium at all. Once again, these could be wrong and we are making a fuss about nothing. But the actual image attached to that "wizard" looks bad. Microsoft saw success with the 640XL and is trying to copy the same style but add better components to it. But they don't realize success was as a result of PRICE. So if they can price it really low, fine people may buy it. Heck, a recent Chinese phone company put all the premium components into a cheap phone on android and is selling it super cheap. Maybe that is Microsoft's goal. Premium components, cheap phone. We won't know till their showcase. But they can't expect people to put down a lot of money for these phones, I hope not. The only reason I bought the Lumia 830 is because it looked good. I would have not bought any other phone otherwise.

Yeah yeah, and I've seen tech sites where many have liked the look. That said, regardless of the site/forum the commenters don't represent the opinion of the majority.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So unless a phone has a metal frame it doesnt look premium?

Not at all, it's a matter of style sense and keeping up with the times. That's why Nokia switched to metal frames to begin with on the 930 and 830. But regardless, the Lumia 800, 900, and 920 all looked very sleek and elegant without metal. The 950 and 950 XL are just plain bland. A metal frame would have definitely helped matters if nothing else in the design changed, but they could have done a lot better while staying full polycarbonate.

We're disappointed because Microsoft is now losing one of the main differentiators that brought many people to Windows Phone to begin with... unique, superior aesthetics.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
You do realize that those rumors have been around since 2011? The atom X3 is old and not powerful at all. It is low end. It can't run high resolutions. It is a poor chip. You're just living off an old rumor.

I'm not doing anything, I just randomly found it. No matter what it is, it says its ready for Windows 10 Mobile which is coming out next month. And you can read that in the official Intel specifications of this processor this year, so how does this makes it from 2011, did they knew there would be Windows 10 Mobile in 2015?
It's pretty logical that the specs looks odd for a flagship, but we'll see. I do think it will use a different version or something, but no matter what it's supposed to be in some new Microsoft phones.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not at all, it's a matter of style sense and keeping up with the times. That's why Nokia switched to metal frames to begin with on the 930 and 830. But regardless, the Lumia 800, 900, and 920 all looked very sleek and elegant without metal. The 950 and 950 XL are just plain bland. A metal frame would have definitely helped matters if nothing else in the design changed, but they could have done a lot better while staying full polycarbonate.

We're disappointed because Microsoft is now losing one of the main differentiators that brought many people to Windows Phone to begin with... unique, superior aesthetics.

I'm not disappointed.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, we know. You feel the need to make that very clear to compensate for the disappointment in this thread.

I think we need all the positive comments we can get to counteract all the negativity.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think we need all the positive comments we can get to counteract all the negativity.

To what end? Why should we fall in line like a bunch of sheep? We don't like the design. We ought to be vocal about it.

If Microsoft can't sell the people in this community on their new flagships, how are they going to sell anyone?

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

I honestly think that if the 950/xl had a metal frame people would be complaining that microsoft was just rehashing a 2/3 year old design.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
To what end? Why should we fall in line like a bunch of sheep? We don't like the design. We ought to be vocal about it.

If Microsoft can't sell the people in this community on their new flagships, how are they going to sell anyone?

Im not saying not to be vocal, im saying that there is a lot of negativity being spoken about these designs and we need some positive as well. Not everyone hates the design and we should hear from them to.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why some are being so antagonistic and defensive to all those who dislike the design. We all like Windows Phone. We're on the same team. Those that are defending this design... honestly, would you have complained if the 950/950 XL resembled more popular Lumia designs like the 800, 830, 920, 930, or 1500? No. Design doesn't matter much to you... that's fine. But if those of us that are really passionate about the design didn't care and weren't critical when need be, Windows Phone would be in even worse shape than it already is.

I for one am absolutely effusive with my praise of Lumia designs when warranted... both on these forums and in real life. In fact I've been known to annoy people with how complimentary I am of how premium flagship Lumias look vis a vis their iPhones and Androids. That is precisely why many of us are so disappointed that these flagships now resemble the drab designs we walked away from in favor of Lumias.

When "performance matters more" is being used to defend the phone's design, you know something's wrong with the design. Sure, performance is probably more important, but they're two completely separate discussions. We're not complaining about the OS or functionality. We wouldn't even be using WP right now if we were as disappointed in that as we are in these renders.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Im pretty sure that this is a nokia designed phone, i think the fact that it says microsoft instead of nokia is tainting a lot of peoples perception about the design.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to make big phone beautiful. The nicest looking phones are HTC 8S, HTC 8X and Lumia 925. They are gorgeous cuz of its perfect size, just imagine those phones with 5.5+ inch display + bezel round them, they would not be nice as much. This renders we are seeing now are perfect for some smaller phones. You just can't say that Lumia 1520 is beautiful phone. It's just a powerful BRICK with a big screen. The point is, beautiful phones are below 5 inch display size.

IPhone 6 plus, galaxy s6 edge+

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm not doing anything, I just randomly found it. No matter what it is, it says its ready for Windows 10 Mobile which is coming out next month. And you can read that in the official Intel specifications of this processor this year, so how does this makes it from 2011, did they knew there would be Windows 10 Mobile in 2015?
It's pretty logical that the specs looks odd for a flagship, but we'll see. I do think it will use a different version or something, but no matter what it's supposed to be in some new Microsoft phones.

Juggernaut Alpha with Windows Phone 8 appears in benchmarks, shows how sharp it might be

Look at the date. 2012. This phone has been coming out forever lol.

Atom x3 is known as an entry level chip. Intel itself says this. My guess is that if they do release an intel phone they are waiting for a new chips that intel has been working on. Or they may release an entry level intel phone as well, who knows. But a good high end phone wouldn't likely be available till 2016.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Juggernaut Alpha with Windows Phone 8 appears in benchmarks, shows how sharp it might be

Look at the date. 2012. This phone has been coming out forever lol.

Atom x3 is known as an entry level chip. Intel itself says this. My guess is that if they do release an intel phone they are waiting for a new chips that intel has been working on. Or they may release an entry level intel phone as well, who knows. But a good high end phone wouldn't likely be available till 2016.

Lol, then they had to edit something here as it specifically says "Windows 10 Mobile". And 2015 in the small text. We'll see.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
All I have to say is there's no reason why the 830 (a budget phone) looks better than this...

Or why older flagships like the 925, 1520 look better than these... Isn't design supposed to improve? Isn't each generation supposed to look sexier than the last. I know that's the way Galaxy S & iPhone have been going

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
We waited two years for that? The specs are good but the devices out right stink. They look like a stretch 640. The HTC m8 for windows looks better than that. Perhaps we were expecting so much more after two years. No sorry I will not pay $700.00 for a kiddy designed device last place you should have blown us away to make people excited about wp10 flagship instead we got the normal windows low end look.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is this to me a flagship device should not only have great spec's. But it should be eye catching. Something that when you pull it out people around you go wow what's that. Why its WP10 Lumia 950 -950xl wow that looks awesome.I know check it out.
You see WP is in last place WP is known to have a great camera but sadly over the last few years it's also known as a budget phone. So for this reason when the "mastermind " said get ready for a couple of flagships devices that everyone will love I expected a really good premium look to match the price. Instead we got a low end looking device. Yes the specs are good but the design is equally as important. In this Microsoft has failed yet again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo