Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm perfectly okay with the designs. I think they look amazing.
I would've loved an 830-esque aluminum frame or even better a magnesium alloy frame, but I can easily get around the 950 and 950 XL. I'd be proud to be seen with either one.
Besides, no phone has EVER had a 100% perfect design and no phone has EVER had every single person like its design.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm perfectly okay with the designs. I think they look amazing.
I would've loved an 830-esque aluminum frame or even better a magnesium alloy frame, but I can easily get around the 950 and 950 XL. I'd be proud to be seen with either one.
Besides, no phone has EVER had a 100% perfect design and no phone has EVER had every single person like its design.

I'm perfectly okay with polycarbonate :)

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one who prefers Polycarbonate over Aluminium ?! ..
Okay if it was specific Steel..

Yes I actually know Polycarbonate that's why I need to name it.

I'd take transparent polycarbonate over anything any day lol.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the colours and materials when you see the real phone.

I like the back of the phone.

It has to be admitted that it is similar to existing Lumia phones. Well, don't iPhones look almost the same from one generation to the next? If one thinks it is ugly, then all previous Lumia phones are also ugly (which I don't agree).

I am confident that it would look slightly better than 930. And as it is slimmer, it should also look better.

And the low-quality of the rumored photo affects our perception.

Relax...

Lumia 930, 920, 900 even 1520 have excellent design. But on what basis can you compare this design with previous flagships?

Has anyone seen Galaxy Mega 5.8? What we see is a bulky cheap plastic. This design almost looks similar to it. Its no way closer to the beautiful 930.

With series of cheap plastic used by Galaxy S series device. Sammy finally realized and decided to use premium metal for its Galaxy S6/S6+ series devices. So why should MS stay behind the race? What is the harm if they too use a premium material like Magnesium Alloy, Titanium and some tough Aluminium alloy?

I want these Lumia flagships to be so good not only in terms of camera performance but in terms of look and premium feel too, so that it should make every Note 5 / S6 Edge + owner feel ENVY!!!.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 930, 920, 900 even 1520 have excellent design. But on what basis can you compare this design with previous flagships?

Has anyone seen Galaxy Mega 5.8? What we see is a bulky cheap plastic. This design almost looks similar to it. Its no way closer to beautiful 930.

Has anyone seen a 950XL outside of some low res photos and renders?

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I love the design of my aluminum framed 930. It has a polycarbonate case on though. New phones look ok to me. Oddly like a 930 with a case! I'll miss the chamfered screen edge though. That always looks cool.

Joe Mazzone

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I think everyone is disappointed because we were expecting L830 design with the rumor specs. Am I disappointed? Yes, a little. Do these phones look like flagships? Yes. Are they as premium looking as other flagships? No. Will I still buy the phone? Yes, because I need an upgrade, the phone looks good, and the rumored specs are awesome.

I wish they used the L830 design with metal frame. Even the 830's thickness was perfect. But it is what it is. I'll be anticipating the Surface phone.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Even as a microsoft fan i have to say that the design of these phones are dissapointing. Please dont tell me about continuum or whatever. Im talking about soley design.

There has never been as much outcey about a past lumia design as there are about these phones so this IS saying SOMETHING.
These phones dont look horrible but honestly l, althoigh beuty is subjective, do the looks of these phones SCREAM premium to you ? To me and most people they dont.

They look bland, uninspired and cheap. Especially from the front. There seems to be no innovation with these, huge bezels on top and bottom with a weird button alignment on one side. Really ?

Compared to the past 930/830/1520 these phones do not hold their own at all design wise. Compared to the previous models, these just look like the 640 only with innner improvements.

I am dissapointed along with many especially waitingso long for a premium OS ANDDDDD a premium LOOKING phone.

Anyone who says microsoft coupdnt have done a better job with the looks of these phones are simply in denail no matter how you put it. Although not every design is loved by all, none of the previous nokia or recent phone designs have drawn this much headscratching and dissapointment from the Windows phone community at large.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Give me one of these and i'll buy them. The first one being the best choice. That one would catch peoples' eyes. Whatever is in that leak image looks so horrible I puked a little in my mouth.

Microsoft-Lumia-940-XL-Imagined-with-Windows-10-and-Intel-Quad-Core-Processor-479426-6.jpg

microsoft-lumia-940-concept-comes-with-windows-10-usb-c-photo-gallery-486182-12.jpg

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
It's hard to make big phone beautiful. The nicest looking phones are HTC 8S, HTC 8X and Lumia 925. They are gorgeous cuz of its perfect size, just imagine those phones with 5.5+ inch display + bezel round them, they would not be nice as much. This renders we are seeing now are perfect for some smaller phones. You just can't say that Lumia 1520 is beautiful phone. It's just a powerful BRICK with a big screen. The point is, beautiful phones are below 5 inch display size.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
althoigh beuty is subjective, do the looks of these phones SCREAM premium to you ? To me and most people they dont.

They look bland, uninspired and cheap. Especially from the front. There seems to be no innovation with these, huge bezels on top and bottom with a weird button alignment on one side. Really ?

This is pretty much what I think. They aren't bad, ugly or anything like that but in the age of exquisitely designed LG's with custom leather backs, good looking metal designs from Samsung and other these don't stand out. At all. That's the big point of contention for most people, I believe.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty much what I think. They aren't bad, ugly or anything like that but in the age of exquisitely designed LG's with custom leather backs, good looking metal designs from Samsung and other these don't stand out. At all. That's the big point of contention for most people, I believe.

I like the phones just fine. If people want leather backs and metal they should go buy LG, Apple or Samsung and STFU.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So disappointed in these. I thought it would take at least a year for Microsoft to start missing Nokia's design influence, but I was wrong... the impact was immediate. They look like low-mid range Lumias at best.

The only (and I do mean only) thing Microsoft did right with these is having just a Microsoft/Windows logo on the back without "Microsoft" written there.

Everything else looks like a cheap, HTC 2012 disaster.

I want a phone that looks good... at this rate I may have to bite the bullet and switch to Android when the Nokia iterations are released late next year, if I don't switch to a Sony Xperia instead. I'd much rather stick to Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile but this is awful.

My Lumia 830 is infinitely more elegant and premium looking.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You aren't following this thread closely then. Clearly those that dislike the design so far are not the minority...

Pass experience has often shown that all though most commenters in these forums are negative that they don't represent the opinion of the majority. I'm willing to bet that such is the case here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise