Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

Calileon

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what to think about the design. Somehow it does not look good and somehow it does. Hoping when I see it live it'll look good since pretty much every site that reports people seeing these live, say they look awesome. So, still hoping to replace my good old 920 in near future with slick Lumia flagship.

WPJanssen

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I switched to WP8.1 because I really liked the Metro design that stood out against iOS and Android that were getting old those times.

Now with WM10 the design is so chaotic and overwhelming, the start screen is hyper active and MS is building features we already had for years!
I can imagine that OEMS don?t build phones for this because it?s just impossible to make nice looking marketing pictures of the phones with messy start screens that cannot be customized to fit the ?family face? of the specific OEM.

I was hoping for beautiful flagship phones (and then I would trim down the GUI most neutral as possible) but then I would expect phones with less bezel and capacitive keys instead of screen keys and 200 grams less plastic.

Van Damme

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I love the looks of these phones! I love the rounded corners and the sleek design of the 950. Idk what everyone's deal is. And to be honest everyone says the ICON and the 930 were great, but they are terrible.
1. The phones are hard to hold because of the corners and the slippery aluminum
2. The battery life sucks.
3. The phone is constantly hot.
4. The screen has problems with response to touch around the edges of the touch screen.
5. And last but not least the dang aluminum is so easy to dent.

I'm ready for the new Lumia 950 LIKE NOW!!! <3

Battery life, hotness and screen problems have nothing to do with the design of the phone

As I understand it, these new flagships were still developed under Nokia. As such, they look just how I'd suspect, which is very similar to the last few phones released (640; 640 XL; 735). Remember that Lumias have received some praise and even awards for it's design, and some people love them so it's hard to abandon that.

I would be surprised if we don't see some major changes next year when phones come out that are completely designed and developed under Microsoft.

Here's the thing. The Lumia, design language was all about simplicity and elegance. These phones are not that. They abandoned the 2.5d glass, the ruined the back moving the camera modules towards the top of the phone, they put a **** ton of bling with the shiny ring in the camera and the windows logo. They reduced the color options. These phones use elements from the cheap lumias, but they don't share the traditional Lumia design

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what MS is doing!
If I worked for them I wouldn't let a phone be released if it's not at least good!
Specs are great, I give them that... but why not make a great design? make something that's elegant, and premium!
why not make a phone that has more bonus points? Nowadays you always have to sacrifice one thing. it's never all the things!

With 920, it was fat and bulky, no SD.
with 930, it was fat and bulky, and no glance, no SD.
1520 was the closest to being perfect.

So I have a L920 for 2,5 years, waiting for a great phone... and after a long time of no flagship, you say to yourself "damn, they must be building something great! a game changer!!" Than the specs leak, and you feel awesome, and cant wait. And one day the renders leak, and you think "How can they kill something great with that design? did they hire a google designer, that intentionally wanted to screw up the phone? What exactly are they thinking??"

Get your **** together, MS!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what MS is doing!
If I worked for them I wouldn't let a phone be released if it's not at least good!
Specs are great, I give them that... but why not make a great design? make something that's elegant, and premium!
why not make a phone that has more bonus points? Nowadays you always have to sacrifice one thing. it's never all the things!

With 920, it was fat and bulky, no SD.
with 930, it was fat and bulky, and no glance, no SD.
1520 was the closest to being perfect.

So I have a L920 for 2,5 years, waiting for a great phone... and after a long time of no flagship, you say to yourself "damn, they must be building something great! a game changer!!" Than the specs leak, and you feel awesome, and cant wait. And one day the renders leak, and you think "How can they kill something great with that design? did they hire a google designer, that intentionally wanted to screw up the phone? What exactly are they thinking??"

Get your **** together, MS!

Because you did not buy a 930, that doesn't mean that Microsoft did not build a flagship after the 920.

If you did not wait 2,5 years you would be feeling great now.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Maybe they could've tweaked Nokia design or stayed with Fabula design or hire nokia designers. With round edges, phones looks slim but while holding they feel like you're holding a brick. The phones feels its going to slip any second out of hand w/o a sturdy protective case. A SD card slot is a must nowadays because of increased amounts of data and prices of SD cards have come down so everyone can afford a bigger sd card to store images & videos which don't require huge read/write speeds.

Lych

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Considering how these are the new flagship phones and for a while they will probably also be the only flagships we'll have (I'd argue that we will most likely see the "surface phone" with the Intel chip before we see anything substantial from OEMs like Samsung or LG), I guess I'm a bit disappointed.
I am sure that there is a reason these look like this, but I can't see what it is. For example the silver ring that gets referenced in most of the spec sheets is referenced for...what? What purpose does it serve?
I'm not saying the devices are downright ugly, although I think they definitely could have done better. Take cues from the Xbox or the Surface design teams? That would have definitely communicated the Microsoft brand a lot better.

Are these phones ugly in and of themselves? No. The reason we spill so much hate on them is because they don't look as stylish as previous higher-tier Lumias (I'd argue that my Lumia 800 looked better). And the fact that these will be the only high-end W10 phones for quite a while. This makes them less than desirable for most people - myself included.

I don't see myself jumping ship. because they look worse than I expected.
Will I be buying one? Probably. Maybe I'll wait a bit to see if the rumored Intel powered Surface phone arrives within reasonable time with a better design language. I would like to upgrade, sure, but seeing how I will be able to update the OS on my current phone, I don't feel all that pressured. Sure, I won't have all the features, but Windows Hello and Continuum are something I am perfectly capable of living without for a while longer and my camera is already perfectly good enough for snapping photos.

sanien

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I like WP 10 but damn those phones are ugly!!! Round edges and iPhone like big bezels!!!! MS must not pay their designers or they are incompetent?

RishiHParmar

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I agree that these phones are not what we expect from flagship model in terms of looks, but I must say that with those specs even Android can run like Bolt!
But to make my point, honestly, after the Lumia 925, no Lumia has ever impressed me in looks. I'm worried that MS is heading in a wrong direction with the latest Lumia flagship where they don't even have aluminium frame! I've always liked Nokia for the innovations, but lately MS is ruining that image for me!

And its understandable that right now W10M is in development stage. But after the W10 launch, I'm not certain that the W10M experience will be as smooth as WP8.1 or any other previous versions. W10 is still buggy and not finished. I often encounter problems while changing theme or modifying UI settings. Cortana crashed at times. And if the leaks are to be believed, W10M releases in October which is just a month from now and on my development experiences, there is no way W10M will be 100% ready by then. The release features must be already locked and in coming builds, we can hardly see 2-3 exclusive features.

So to conclude, when I'm asked by the Windows (W10 and W10M) 'How likely are you to recommend this build to a friend or a collegue?' my reply follows : 'I don't know! Last time when I asked a Windows 7 user to try Windows 10 on my system, he was excited at first, clicked here and there and said that may be he should wait. When I asked an Android user to try W10M, he asked what do you have exclusive other than the UI? All the MS coolness is going to come to Play Store pretty soon! '

EN-Esty

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to echo the general disappointment about the looks of these flagships and can only hope that the renders are inaccurate in a number of respects. It's interesting to contrast the response to these compared to the praise showered upon the renders WC came up with, so maybe by looking at the differences we can determine what's wrong with the designs we see now and pray Microsoft have time to make some changes (although I very much doubt this is the case).

talkman-leak.jpgcityman-black-white-blue.jpg

The differences that I notice most are the bezel size (particularly at the bottom), capacitive rather than onscreen buttons, the material used on the rear of the phone (to me the WC render looks smooth and crisp while the evleaks design looks like it's made from a cheap rubber) and the flatter rear profile of the WC renders compared to the curved evleaks design.

While small in themselves I think these differences actually lead to a dramatic difference in the perceived quality of the phone. We move from something that looks classy, precise, modern and well-designed to something that looks cheap, clunky and just generally lacking all thought and care towards its design. I've waited patiently with my 920 and was hoping for something a lot better, something a lot like the WC render...

Sakdichote Totiam

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
The design, oh, not one bit good. It looks like it lost the resemblance of a flagship Lumia. The round perpendicular angel makes it look cheap. No premium looks of the metal frame. And on-screen navigation bar, that's, that's just hideous—no flagship deserves this ruthless punishment! Also colour availability is very limited, I don't know why did they ditch the hot damn red, and the radiant canary yellow—as soon as I see those colours I know it's a Lumia.

CJH248

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
People seem a little too obsessed with the sexiness in any case. I agree with you that it looks perfectly fine (and we can say sexy), but more importantly it's so much more powerful than anything from WP up to this point. No-brainer purchase for me

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You sound absolutely ridiculous. I am sorry to be rude but you do. You are going to blame Windows Phone's 'falure' on the fact that users are happy with WP as it is and have little to complain and are happy with the designs of the upcoming flagships?

That's utterly silly considering WITHOUT its loyal following of 3 percent of the worldwide owners, Windows Phone would've long died.

People don't look at a phone "OMG that is ugly...."

I sell phones for a living. I've never had someone come into my store going "Hey give me the best looking phone you got."

What they do want?

1. Superb Camera---- Which is what Lumias are known for.....
2. Apps
3. Big Screen for Movie watching
4. Fast performance
5. Integration with whatever ecosystem they are entrenched in
6. Something that has a lot of storage or expandable memory
7. Something that is good for music
8. Waterproof

I've never had a customer come in and ask for the best looking phone....This is not 2007 where people are getting the iPhone because it is the it thing to have. People get an iPhone because it is what their friends have. People get android because of the apps.

People aren't choosing Windows Phone because Lumia design sucks(Mind you Android users WANT Lumias running android)....People aren't choosing WIndows phone due to a lack of apps. So how in the world is it mine, James or any windows phone fan fault that Windows phone has 3 percent?

if anything, I should blame people such as yourself who are precisely the reason Microsoft ruined WP 10 by making it more android like...I prefer WP 7-8.1 not WP10. But I am not immature to say something like that.

People are defensive because the comments are ridiculous and come off as whining and not constructive really. Then if you say you like the design, you are attacked.

Let's say Microsoft built the sexiest looking phone but then they still used 2013 specs....People would then complain about "OMG, Microsoft is using old specs when Android/IOS has these specs. The platform is doomed."

These phones appear to have some AMAZING specs and performance and at the end of the day, hoe hardware LOOKS is not a deciding factor for most products because people are savvy enough to know and want the greatest experience. Mentioning performance is not making an excuse for the design, it's reminding people what these phones are for.

If someone is truly using their Lumias a fashion accessory and worried about what people will think about them using one, you need to reevaluate some life choices then.

LOL

Good luck with the HTC One M8 who is what like 600 or so dollars...looks amazing but has that camera that is awful as sin.

My Lumia 640 cost me 100 and it takes better pictures....My Lumia 640 XL was $250 and takes better pictures.

That's what happens when you get a nice phone design....they crap out somewhere and that is precisely why HTC doesn't sell phones.

didn it win a best design award? How that work out for sales...Spoiler alert: it didn't. Because nobody cared about the fact it had the best design of android phones. they cared because it had a poor camera among other things about the actual SPECS not the design.

Yes you are right. In a flagship device, we seek for top notch hardware, camera and overall performance. But that doesn't mean that they make the design a cheap knock. This design looks 90% similar to Lumia 1320. 1320 was a mid range device, for which the design suited. But if we use the same design for a top end flagship, then it will give it the look and feel of a cheap knock, that CHUBBY back. Where is the sophistication of a premium flagship device?

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Lumia name.
Lumia model naming.
Lumia model design.
Lumia itself was not successful. MCSF needs to kill Lumia name and start with other branding and other design.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Android users wanted Nokia Lumia's running Android, not the Microsoft version. Android fans really like Nokia and the awesome phones they designed, but those days are over.

The Lumia 640, 640 XL, 830, 530 and all those other Lumias released are all Nokia designs...Some of them merely have Microsoft's name on them.

To be honest, I am not even sure why people are saying this design is different from Nokia LUmias. It looks like any other Lumia

Nokia certainly did not get every design they did right either...the 920 was derided for its chunky design despite being a fan favorite.

But the 925 was hailed as a great design and what the 920 should have been.

The Lumia 820 was a great design but then you have the forgotten 810 that was incredibly ugly...

So we shouldn't act as if EVERY design Nokia did was perfect and yet they still sold reasonably well(for windows phone) and I imagine these will as well...as far as getting people to switch, well the only complaints I've seen are from Windows phone users ironically.

Even Pro-apple/Android people actually said they don't look half-bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6