Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

Murani Lewis

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am very much ready to purchase the Cityman and plunge straight in to the Windows 10 Mobile experience. I am not buying the phone for it looks but because it is a flagship device that runs my operating system of choice that ties in best with my Windows 10 experience. I've been using an iPhone for the past 8 months since I sold my HTC One M8 WP version due to dropping my Verizon contract. Funny thing is that each day i'm reminded of how much I prefer the Windows Phone experience and can't wait until the Cityman and Talkman is available. A platform grows because users stick with it not jump and throw hissy fits due to renders. Take the time to hold the device and use the deice in-store to get a feel first.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Held a 640XL for the first time today, and have to say I liked it. The 950XL looks like it will be a thinner version, so I'm pumped!

Yea I like the 640 xl design... If it had more premium looking glass and a more seamless construction, I feel I would like it more than the 1520.

ramtwins25

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. More durability and functionality trumps flash to me. I am not just saying that because it "is missing" in Windows Phone. I say it because it is the truth for me.

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is behind, plain and simple. They aren't following the trends general consumers are moving towards. Instead they focus on business, and office applications and things of that nature. They don't understand what sells, that goes for their Windows Phone platform as a OS and their flagship devices. These latest "flagships" speak directly too that. Everyone, including Samsung for christ sake, has gone toward the more well designed, premium materials approach. That includes smaller market Chinese companies which tend to get ragged on (ZTE, Haweii, OnePlus,etc) And yet Microsoft decides to push out a flagship that looks like something that would have been popular back in 2010. They have the perfect evolution of design starting at the 920 (still one of the better devices I've ever seen in terms of design), moving towards the 925 (which many regard as the overall best lumia to date) And the latest well designed model imo the 930 and 830 respectively. Aluminum frames mixed with solid polycarbonate, and well built construction. Instead of continuing that evolution they go backwards and use the cheap mid-range flagship 640 and 640 XL as the template for it's latest 2015 flagships. And while yes, some will say the 640 was well reviewed for it's price point and performance, that means nothing. It's a mid-range flagship, enough said. The only downsides the 930 received were it's weight and thickness, both of which Nokia had worked on with the 830. It makes no sense whatsoever that a concept ends up looking better than the final product. Typically concepts are too outlandish, unrealistic. This one however, works towards continuing the evolution of both the 930 and 830. Making a truly incredible, flagship worthy device. A device with a 5.7" QHD Display, slim bezels on the sides making for a more narrow, comfortable device to hold in one hand. Keeping the thin profile of the 830, yet with the aluminum frame feeling solid in the hand.

Lumia-940-concept-Jonas-Daehnert-1.jpg

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is behind, plain and simple. They aren't following the trends general consumers are moving towards. Instead they focus on business, and office applications and things of that nature. They don't understand what sells, that goes for their Windows Phone platform as a OS and their flagship devices. These latest "flagships" speak directly too that. Everyone, including Samsung for christ sake, has gone toward the more well designed, premium materials approach. That includes smaller market Chinese companies which tend to get ragged on (ZTE, Haweii, OnePlus,etc) And yet Microsoft decides to push out a flagship that looks like something that would have been popular back in 2010. They have the perfect evolution of design starting at the 920 (still one of the better devices I've ever seen in terms of design), moving towards the 925 (which many regard as the overall best lumia to date) And the latest well designed model imo the 930 and 830 respectively. Aluminum frames mixed with solid polycarbonate, and well built construction. Instead of continuing that evolution they go backwards and use the cheap mid-range flagship 640 and 640 XL as the template for it's latest 2015 flagships. And while yes, some will say the 640 was well reviewed for it's price point and performance, that means nothing. It's a mid-range flagship, enough said. The only downsides the 930 received were it's weight and thickness, both of which Nokia had worked on with the 830. It makes no sense whatsoever that a concept ends up looking better than the final product. Typically concepts are too outlandish, unrealistic. This one however, works towards continuing the evolution of both the 930 and 830. Making a truly incredible, flagship worthy device. A device with a 5.7" QHD Display, slim bezels on the sides making for a more narrow, comfortable device to hold in one hand. Keeping the thin profile of the 830, yet with the aluminum frame feeling solid in the hand.

View attachment 111285
I agree...
I Particularly dont understand why they appear to have ditched curved glass for the flagships... It looks and feels superior to a flat face...
Also i really predicted that the Lumia flagships line going forward to would continue to evolve design wise in the manner it always has...
Becoming more and more beautiful every gen, while still paying homage and showing some genetic resemblance to the last gen, and being radically different than the rest while also being simple.

I expected that the "Surface Phone" line would be where we see designs completely unrelated to Lumia...

These leaked devices sadly to me look like tacky, midrange android phones... They imo will never catch ppl's attention or awe...instead ppl will probably see the monstrosity, think cheap android phone, and move one... The 920,925,1520,930, & 830 all looked cool, and were eye catching yet had simple designs...

These designs do show some resemblance, but they are more like ugly offspring rather than newly evolved fresh younglings

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I agree...
I Particularly dont understand why they appear to have ditched curved glass for the flagships... It looks and feels superior to a flat face...
Also i really predicted that the Lumia flagships line going forward to would continue to evolve design wise in the manner it always has...
Becoming more and more beautiful every gen, while still paying homage and showing some genetic resemblance to the last gen, and being radically different than the rest while also being simple.

I expected that the "Surface Phone" line would be where we see designs completely unrelated to Lumia...

These leaked devices sadly to me look like tacky, midrange android phones... They imo will never catch ppl's attention or awe...instead ppl will probably see the monstrosity, think cheap android phone, and move one... The 920,925,1520,930, & 830 all looked cool, and were eye catching yet had simple designs...

These designs do show some resemblance, but they are more like ugly offspring rather than newly evolved fresh younglings

Exactly. I just don't understand Microsoft's thought process here. They clearly used the 640 as the primary influence here and that was a mistake. The 640 pales in comparison to much older windows phones such as the 920/925 which are 2 pushing 3 year old devices. You wait almost 3 years to release a flagship, yet it looks like they've gone backwards with this phone. Again, this is all about design right? Well Nokia's original concepts for their windows phones even blow this out of the water. And these are from Nokia's beginnings with Windows.

Nokia-Windows-Phone-1-Picture-2.png

ConceptNokiaWindowsPhones22.jpg

Again, I just don't understand how this falls in line with what Microsoft was saying about a potential Surface inspired phone. This clearly isn't it.

Microsoft, how hard is it to put something like this out on the market? It's the proper evolution of past flagships..

Lumia-940-concept-Jonas-Daehnert-4.jpg

Windows Phone really needs a proper flagship. Till then, I'll stick rock the 930/Icon, it performs great and looks like it belongs with the modern flagships of 2015.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Did I miss something, or is everyone complaining about the design, which hasn't even been released yet? Why don't you wait to pass judgement once you see the phone IN PERSON.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Did I miss something, or is everyone complaining about the design, which hasn't even been released yet? Why don't you wait to pass judgement once you see the phone IN PERSON.
It's competing against the iPhone 6/6s, s6/s6 edge+, z3+/Z5. you don't need to see it in real life to see that Microsoft flopped the design this year.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It's competing against the iPhone 6/6s, s6/s6 edge+, z3+/Z5. you don't need to see it in real life to see that Microsoft flopped the design this year.

Correct. I'm sorry but it doesn't even take a good pair of eyes to see these ugly renders of the next MS flaships are worse than those stated above.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Let me just put this out there...

Microsoft could come out with the most beautiful design ever and it would still be crap, because it's Microsoft.

Vise versa, Apple could come out with the Talkmans exact design and it would be revolutionary.

I couldn't care less, give me function, give me specs, give me durability.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

All of which are incredibly expensive phones. If the Microsoft Flagships are more affordable but have similar performance, that seems like a very good thing.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99