Design of 950 & 950XL and W10M not good?

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Key moronic part of this is "alleged phone's design" agree or disagree you two are arguing about something that isn't real yet or is still a known unknown.

Well thats kind of the point, so many people calling these phones ugly and cheap looking based on renders and leaked photos instead of waiting to see them first hand. If i go into a Microsoft store and hold one of these and it feels cheap and plasticky ill be the first to admit it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I mean, really...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Phone Comparison.jpg
    Phone Comparison.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 49

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
People are just looking for something to talk about.

Well this is a discussion about the design of 950 and 950 XL, positive or negative.

I assume that everybody or most of us here already know that no matter how loud we shout, like it or not, they will still release the phones. Its a hardware and they cannot change it when its already in the manufacturing state, unlike software. The market will dictate its fate anyways.

So for now let's just talk what we like and don't like about the device.

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is just stuck in a rut. They don't seem to be innovating in the mobile space in the same fashion Nokia did. At least in terms of designs, and wanting to push themselves to improve with each iteration. Not just with design of the device but the design of the camera and tech inside the device. Get this. Nokia released it's thinnest phone with it's latest camera tech back in 2013 with the 930 and 1520 respectively. The 1520 being the thinnest phone to hold the 20mp camera to date so far at 8.7mm thin. That was at least 2 pushing 3 years ago. Nowadays we have Sony in the mobile space also pushing out 20mp camera sensors in a much smaller package with devices like the Z3 sitting at a thinness of 6.9mm. That's an insane difference. You have to wonder what Microsoft is doing with remaining pieces of Nokia.There seems to be no innovation happening whatsoever. And you also have to wonder what Nokia would be pushing out in this day and age if they hadn't been bought out and shut down essentially. Microsoft appears to have settled. Continuing to try and use the best Nokia had to offer 3 years ago. Well Microsoft, I've got news for you, companies have caught up and then some. Companies nowadays are focusing on design, quality materials, camera quality, and affordability. The trends nowadays focusing on making the bezel on the device as small as possible, having a quality top notch camera that gives users access to manual settings (something Nokia started with their own camera app on WP) and if you want to reach a larger audience (smaller campanies) or have the opportunity to you don't skimp on design or materials or specs and price the design around $400 or below. The 950 renders we're seeing here, and with EVleaks I have confidence this is the final design, it seems like Microsoft is stuck in the past. Yes, the specs are there. It's got plenty of power. But it's design and overall dimensions just don't make sense for a 2015 phone. You toss in a pointless Iris scanner, you have these large bezels for a device that has software buttons and a flat screen at the edges. And you still are stuck on having a device that is 9mm thick with a 20mp sensor. Sony shows us that shouldn't be the case for a phone in 2015. Looking at the renders one more time I'm also bothered by the fact that this device will be a very top heavy device. They've placed everything at the top of the device, including the speaker. Which again show's this device wasn't designed with ergonomics in mind. This is another long post from me, but I was always a fan of Nokia, and their ability to innovate in the mobile space. They never got enough credit for the effort and care they put into the devices they put out. I would have hoped Microsoft had embraced that but it looks like they simply just took some scrapped designs here and there, kept the camera tech from 3 years ago and made the 950 that has been leaked and will be released here in 2015. A real shame. Nokia would have done better. I have no doubt they would have eventually gone to something along these lines. Elegant, beautiful design, and innovative camera tech.

concept-lumia1025-2.jpg

1512864_858153564233170_4551056609493001678_n.jpg

It's funny, the 950 and the decline in design with these latest WP devices (640 and 640 XL, 630) really mirrors the decline of the design and look of the Windows Phone UI. The Metro/Modern UI is all but gone, which is apparent in most of WM10 everywhere except the homescreen. Just a shame really, I've been a WP fan since day one. I can't help but feel WP8.1 will be the last iteration of the OS i'll really enjoy and appreciate.

Abdallah dajani

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the design that it's not good and doesn't look appealing at all, I hope MS is bluffing or providing leakers with fake mobiles, the phone need to look good, for the love of god I can name like 10 android phones that look better than this, how do they expect people to buy these phone over the other metal ones like iPhone6 and the iPhone 6s, the Xperia Z4, Motorola X , even Huawei does it, and these guys are basically new in the game.

I have been using WP since WP7 and I'm using the 930 today, both the OS and the Phone are brilliant, but with the new phones we need something to make us feel like it's something worth my money.

Abdallah dajani

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I guess you haven't used the 930 or I don't know what you have been using, no offense. but that phone is brilliant it's rigged and it fits perfectly in the hand, I have dropped it from a tree which is about 7-8 feet high .. straight on a rock .. guess what it works perfectly, the back popped out and I had a lot of time trying to bend the frame back ... I can tell you that wasn't an easy job had to do a surgery on it until it worked. but that phone is definitely not an easy phone to bend. the battery is fine it's not CRAZY good but it's ok lasts the entire day on a moderate use.

it might not be the best phone in the world, but it's one of the best. and honestly I'm not buying a plastic phone although I waited so much for these two phone to come out. MS is honestly letting me down this time.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Looking back, I think Nokia brought too much goods to the table.. Clear black technology, glance screen, offline maps and navigation, beautifully crafted devices and of course pure view and other camera technology, free mix radio subscription, I also remember how they worked hard to push the platform and bring in the apps and developers.. They worked closely with What's app, vine, line and so on for their apps to work with Windows phone.. I wonder what Microsoft has done for WP? I am sure they never gave their 100 % for WP..

Davis P B

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Unless the phones are actually released, we would never know if those "LEAKS" were actually real or not. So perhaps we should wait until the phones are released and then comment on whether the design is good or not.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking back, I think Nokia brought too much goods to the table.. Clear black technology, glance screen, offline maps and navigation, beautifully crafted devices and of course pure view and other camera technology, free mix radio subscription, I also remember how they worked hard to push the platform and bring in the apps and developers.. They worked closely with What's app, vine, line and so on for their apps to work with Windows phone.. I wonder what Microsoft has done for WP? I am sure they never gave their 100 % for WP..

I feared this long time ago, when I heard the new of Nokia's D&S being sold to MS. But I was optimistic, that MS will continue good work of Nokia and will bring it to next level. Because MS has a lot of money. But now I realize, I am wrong. MS slowly started laying off most of the Nokia employees. I think couple of months ago. MS CEO admitted that purchasing Nokia was a big mistake. WTF!!! my next device will be an iPhone 6s plus

charish putta

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
About 950 & 950XL i don't like them much but i don't want to jump to conclusions now. Microsoft made a mistake by acquiring Nokia in the first place (My opinion). Nokia was surviving on phones so they had to experiment on design and materials to stay in market But its a different story with Microsoft running the division, they've lot of other stuff to handle along with so they just can't show the same enthusiasm and experimentation. Don't know what were their plans when they acquired Nokia (May be they wanted to be Apple) but things got stirred up and it just turned out to be a bad idea. Speaking of OS this is where I get more disappointed, I dumped my Droid when i saw a pic. of LUMIA 800 (good old days). Loved that phone so much i just bought it despite knowing the app gap. Both hardware and software were perfect and smooth, that single core 1.4 ghz handled OS like butter. Sure there were flaws in OS but it was different and beautiful all they wanted to do was to improve the OS, correct the flaws, decrease app gap. But they just killed WP7 and made WP8 I didn't like somethings but some things were good but OS lost its speed and snappy feeling eventually. Coming to WP10 i know its TP so cant say about its speed and lightness but How it looks? NOT AT ALL APPEALING. Not the Windows phone OS i loved 5 years back it's all gone now with all those hamburger menu and all the background stuff happening it just became another OS in market. And after using 1020 I cant go to an inferior camera tech offered with an OS that i don't like any more (except for start screen and grove). So i guess its time to move back to Android as far as I know I'm not going to regret. I know they are focusing on an OS for all devices as far as phones are concerned I DON'T LIKE IT.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
About 950 & 950XL i don't like them much but i don't want to jump to conclusions now. Microsoft made a mistake by acquiring Nokia in the first place (My opinion). Nokia was surviving on phones so they had to experiment on design and materials to stay in market But its a different story with Microsoft running the division, they've lot of other stuff to handle along with so they just can't show the same enthusiasm and experimentation. Don't know what were their plans when they acquired Nokia (May be they wanted to be Apple) but things got stirred up and it just turned out to be a bad idea. Speaking of OS this is where I get more disappointed, I dumped my Droid when i saw a pic. of LUMIA 800 (good old days). Loved that phone so much i just bought it despite knowing the app gap. Both hardware and software were perfect and smooth, that single core 1.4 ghz handled OS like butter. Sure there were flaws in OS but it was different and beautiful all they wanted to do was to improve the OS, correct the flaws, decrease app gap. But they just killed WP7 and made WP8 I didn't like somethings but some things were good but OS lost its speed and snappy feeling eventually. Coming to WP10 i know its TP so cant say about its speed and lightness but How it looks? NOT AT ALL APPEALING. Not the Windows phone OS i loved 5 years back it's all gone now with all those hamburger menu and all the background stuff happening it just became another OS in market. And after using 1020 I cant go to an inferior camera tech offered with an OS that i don't like any more (except for start screen and grove). So i guess its time to move back to Android as far as I know I'm not going to regret. I know they are focusing on an OS for all devices as far as phones are concerned I DON'T LIKE IT.

Until phones like these come out with these new high end specs, you cant say 10 wont be snappy. The XL looks like it is going to have mmorerthanenough power to make the OS fly. Only time will tell.

Bruno Arphenia

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the design that it's not good and doesn't look appealing at all, I hope MS is bluffing or providing leakers with fake mobiles, the phone need to look good, for the love of god I can name like 10 android phones that look better than this, how do they expect people to buy these phone over the other metal ones like iPhone6 and the iPhone 6s, the Xperia Z4, Motorola X , even Huawei does it, and these guys are basically new in the game.

I have been using WP since WP7 and I'm using the 930 today, both the OS and the Phone are brilliant, but with the new phones we need something to make us feel like it's something worth my money.

This is my opnion too!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
the plastic phone is the way to go...not metal and no glass all around too fragile.
If I had a choice the casing would be kevlar

Most of us would have no problem with that, if they were at least nice. The Nokia Lumia 800, 900, 920, and 1520 were all polycarbonate and were praised for their beautiful design.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Nokia Lumia proves they can make premium plastic phones and it was being praise alot. There maybe a tiny issues but nothing is perfect anyways.

The problem is really the general design of 950 and 950 XL. How the overall look comes together isn't consistently adored by many.

Metal phones would be nice, but that's just because logically to also assume that since 930, even 830 got one. Which both phones is a direct evolution of Fabula design language.

Last edited:

touchblid

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Whatever phones are coming out now are probably just rebranded Nokia designs maybe with one or two (if any) Microsoft design elements in there. These were likely locked in way before the Nokia purchase, Microsoft may have had a choice to release them or skip them but that's a different issue.

I hope Microsoft will not release these as flagships with flagship pricing... after the 640, it'll be hard to drop flagship money on a device that is not significantly better.

Microsoft is just stuck in a rut. They don't seem to be innovating in the mobile space in the same fashion Nokia did. At least in terms of designs, and wanting to push themselves to improve with each iteration. Not just with design of the device but the design of the camera and tech inside the device. .... I can't help but feel WP8.1 will be the last iteration of the OS i'll really enjoy and appreciate.

Dallas Johnson2

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
When are we getting new Windows Phones to be released? Im ready to jump on board to a windows phone. Everyone tells me to wait. Im being impatient. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss