Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I truly believe that the one thing that holding these two back from being good looking devices is that massive bottom bezel. Either get rid of the bottom bezel, or add capacitive buttons.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I truly believe that the one thing that holding these two back from being good looking devices is that massive bottom bezel. Either get rid of the bottom bezel, or add capacitive buttons.

I like the bottom bezel from a functionality point of view. Using my Icon one handed, I find the location of the bottom buttons too low.
Even though I'd prefer a phone with a removable shell like low end Lumia, but grippier, I have to admit the flagship phone should have some bling appeal.

Dreaming Silver

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

I agree the bezel is too big but I don't think that's the only problem with the looks - the whole device looks cheap, uninspired and mid-range. Given the competitors out there (the Edge) this design isn't going to win any market share.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally i really like the design its clean and understated. I dont get where the it "looks cheap" comments are coming from. What looks cheap? What exactly is a non cheap phone supposed to look like? Should it be triangle shaped? Or maybe hexagon? Should it be gold plated and have diamonds for buttons in order for it to LOOK expensive?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
1. The new Note is a good comparison to the XL; compare the side bezels of the two to see why people think this looks cheap.
2. The rounded glass on high-end Lumias was a selling point and made for a beautiful cohesive design. The front of these look like a 635.
3. There are 6 separate visible elements on the back of each of these phones (microphones, speakers, flash, camera, logo, branding). Look at a 920 or an iPhone or an 830. Contained, cohesive, clean.

Makes my decision to trade in my 830 all the much easier - would have been heartbroken if I'd gone back to iPhone and these had come out looking like an 830 with modern specs :)

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
1. The new Note is a good comparison to the XL; compare the side bezels of the two to see why people think this looks cheap.
2. The rounded glass on high-end Lumias was a selling point and made for a beautiful cohesive design. The front of these look like a 635.
3. There are 6 separate visible elements on the back of each of these phones (microphones, speakers, flash, camera, logo, branding). Look at a 920 or an iPhone or an 830. Contained, cohesive, clean.

Makes my decision to trade in my 830 all the much easier - would have been heartbroken if I'd gone back to iPhone and these had come out looking like an 830 with modern specs :)

I agree with the Note bezels being far more appealing. Particularly the bottom bezel... That thing is huge.

As far as the curved glass, keep in mind that the press images are flat. They may not properly reflect what the glass looks like. For example, look at these Lumia Icon press images. The Icon does have the curved glass that makes it so sexy.

Lumia_929_front_back.png

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Remember, these phones use on screen button. Not capacitive buttons. So the bottom bezel is a lot smaller than it looks, even the top bezel looks smaller than it is on my 830.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
1. I dont think bezel size equates to looking cheap.
2. From these renders looking straight on or from one side you cant even see the glass edge to determine what its like.
3. I dont get the six element thing. I see what i see on every other phone, a camera some branding and a logo. Should the phone back be a blank slate with no camera or branding ar all?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Remember, these phones use on screen button. Not capacitive buttons. So the bottom bezel is a lot smaller than it looks, even the top bezel looks smaller than it is on my 830.

Here's a photo with just the bezels marked out in red. Really hard pressed to argue that the on screen buttons are just making them look big. They're far larger than they should be when compared to other devices in the market.

talkman-leak-bezel.jpg

Again, i'd be willing to forgive a bezel that large if it had capacitive buttons on it. But it doesn't.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
How does it compare to any of these?

Attachments

• 72344.jpg
    72344.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 54

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So is it the look of the bezel? Because ive used phones with very little bottom bezel and found it a pain to use with out accidentally hitting the buttons.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure if you can see in the picture i attached, the phone that currently has the smallest screen to bezel ratio is the aquas crystal at %78.5 percent screen to bezel. But it has a huge bottom bezel.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's the only real comparison for the Cityman. Notice that the Note's bezel appears to be smaller and has capacitive buttons on it.

No, the Note's bezel isn't smaller on the bottom, but it does make use of buttons in that space.

The rest of this post is not directed at anyone in particular, but just a rebuff of the "bezel" argument.
Consider that the Cityman has to have the new USB-C connector down there, leaving little room for thickness and screen real estate. Top bezel on the Cityman has to contain the new camera that can handle iris scanning & recognition. The note doesn't have the camera that can handle that up front, and this new camera needs more space.

Instead of everyone whining about the bezel size, why don't you take a look at the technology contained underneath to see if it is justified? If you don't like it after seeing why they had to arrange things the way they did, then by all means go and buy an inferior piece of tech. People have been complaining that they want Microsoft to get ahead of the game with the tech, and when they finally do, people complain some more. SMH

Drop that note one time and you'll have scratches and dents that will never be fixed. It will still work, but the bling value just dropped. Drop that Cityman, pick it up, dust it off. Keep going. That's the kind of thing I look at.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
No, the Note's bezel isn't smaller on the bottom, but it does make use of buttons in that space.

The rest of this post is not directed at anyone in particular, but just a rebuff of the "bezel" argument.
Consider that the Cityman has to have the new USB-C connector down there, leaving little room for thickness and screen real estate. Top bezel on the Cityman has to contain the new camera that can handle iris scanning & recognition. The note doesn't have the camera that can handle that up front, and this new camera needs more space.

Instead of everyone whining about the bezel size, why don't you take a look at the technology contained underneath to see if it is justified? If you don't like it after seeing why they had to arrange things the way they did, then by all means go and buy an inferior piece of tech. People have been complaining that they want Microsoft to get ahead of the game with the tech, and when they finally do, people complain some more. SMH

Drop that note one time and you'll have scratches and dents that will never be fixed. It will still work, but the bling value just dropped. Drop that Cityman, pick it up, dust it off. Keep going. That's the kind of thing I look at.

Well said. Couldnt agree more.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I, for one, am offended. :wink:

I don't have a problem with the top bezel. I think it's reasonably sized. And you could be right about the USB-C needing more space, but i haven't seen any evidence to suggest it.

And what does Bezel size have to do with how a phone survives when it's dropped?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I, for one, am offended.
Yay! I was SO going for that. ;)

And what does Bezel size have to do with how a phone survives when it's dropped?

Not everything is about the bezel. In this case, I'm referring to the "aluminum" shell. Aluminum is used because it is extremely lightweight and can be polished to be very attractive. However, aluminum is also very malleable, can be easily bend, dented, scratched, and when exposed to a certain number of common liquids, can also be permanently stained.

Aluminum is pretty and all, but I'd rather have a shell made from titanium. Although the cost of titanium would make it much more prohibitive for most people, but it can be made just a pretty, but is way more rugged. If I were going to design the ultimate flagship, it would be encased in titanium with internal titanium supports. We worry about having Gorilla Glass 4 to keep our screens scratch-free, and then demand an aluminum shell. SMH.

Yeah, in this case it's the aluminum that should be offended. ;)

And I can't be positive about the USB-C needing more space. It's new tech, and sometimes implementing new tech makes it a little bigger at first? Hey, we'll see when it hits how the design affected it, because I'm sure it's going to be opened up for us all to see.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yay! I was SO going for that. ;)

Not everything is about the bezel. In this case, I'm referring to the "aluminum" shell. Aluminum is used because it is extremely lightweight and can be polished to be very attractive. However, aluminum is also very malleable, can be easily bend, dented, scratched, and when exposed to a certain number of common liquids, can also be permanently stained.

Aluminum is pretty and all, but I'd rather have a shell made from titanium. Although the cost of titanium would make it much more prohibitive for most people, but it can be made just a pretty, but is way more rugged. If I were going to design the ultimate flagship, it would be encased in titanium with internal titanium supports. We worry about having Gorilla Glass 4 to keep our screens scratch-free, and then demand an aluminum shell. SMH.

Yeah, in this case it's the aluminum that should be offended. ;)

And I can't be positive about the USB-C needing more space. It's new tech, and sometimes implementing new tech makes it a little bigger at first? Hey, we'll see when it hits how the design affected it, because I'm sure it's going to be opened up for us all to see.

Companies can barely put sapphire glass in their phones and now you want titanium?!! At least a titanium and sapphire phone will be literally indestructible ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett