Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

Kennethologist

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the phone looks great. The design is still Lumia in spirit. But the big difference here is this time, the phone is designed for a different OS. Back then during the 920, 800 or even the N9, it looked beautiful because the OS were beautiful likewise. The tiles and icons over the super black screen made the bezels irrelevant. The yellow tiles would compliment the yellow phone. the curved glass complimented the way the OS worked. Windows Phone 8 was left and right swipe heavy, thus, the curved glass. Nokia designed phones with the OS it was putting it in mind. They even put great effort and created and designed wallpapers even ringtones that worked well with the design of the phone. everything looked and felt cohesive.

I have to admit that Windows 10 mobile would look a little off if put in past lumia phones.

This time, Windows 10 mobile went into a radical redesign leaving behind the minimalist look. Gone are the floating live tiles, the bezels are more noticeable with the addition of wallpapers. Even functions of the OS made radical changes. Former Nokia designers are challenged to work around this and made design decisions with windows 10 in mind. I believe this is still work in progress, Microsoft mobile has yet to develop a hero screen that works well with that design because the OS it's gonna run in is also a work in progress. This is just a preview.

Solidgamez

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
That looks a lot like the renders of the 950XL. Seriously, look at that device straight on in the front and back and you'll see exactly what the renders show, give or take the speaker placement.
I don't completely agree, yes there are similarities. But still there is a big difference between them.
Something you can better see with those images close to each other.
nokia comparison.jpg

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 640 is a midrange!!!!! for a midrange phone and it's price looks nice, but these two are supposed to be premium devices! you cannot have premium devices only on specs or only in looks. both aspects must come together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if the 640/640xl were budget phones instead of midrange phones does that mean they would look even better? Because to me thats what it seems like your trying to say.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing here is that many of you who comment use Android as written in the signature...so if you already have something you like why bashing others who say that these two models look crappy cheap? I bet none of you will buy any of the 950 or 950xl so again why bother defending something you clearly are not a fan of? :)

Says the guy using and iphone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Let's Take a Poll: Cityman & Talkman Press Images

yes I am using an iphone after a 930, 1020 and 1520. reasons why I dropped wp are many, mostly related to the way win10 is heading. I meant 640 and 640xl have a decent design for their price and range. look at the blackberry venice, the next phone with android from them. how well defined and built is. If all others can why doesn't Microsoft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kishore Kumar 3760

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
seriously!!! not at all bothered to show off the design of the phone but what matters most is the specs that it comes loaded with and the amazing things i can do with it..........

chaitanya91845

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
No doubt the phones are generic and ugly, but I guess it looks uglier due to the software that breathes in it. I never liked the ugly transparent tiles in Windows 10. It only destroyed the "Metro" look of Windows Phone. But then, Windows 10 is ugly overall, so I cannot just blame the tiles.

Could someone edit the render and add Windows Phone 8 stye solid color tiles and also remove the ugly shiny chrome that runs diagonally across the screen and see if that makes the phone look better?

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
1. I dont think bezel size equates to looking cheap.
2. From these renders looking straight on or from one side you cant even see the glass edge to determine what its like.
3. I dont get the six element thing. I see what i see on every other phone, a camera some branding and a logo. Should the phone back be a blank slate with no camera or branding ar all?

Many people like to have a cover on their phones. With the Branding, flash, camera and especially the Microphones and speakers, I can't imagine a cover which would look good on the device.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
L950 desing.jpg

we have just found all three of those MS lumia designers, in other words fukced up people.Now we know why 950 design sucks.Case closed.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I don't completely agree, yes there are similarities. But still there is a big difference between them.
Something you can better see with those images close to each other.
View attachment 111295

if u see all the MS lumia non of them had square corners like most nokia did. they made all with rounded corners.. isn't MS allowed to do that? could it be cos of any pattern issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720