The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-06-2015 09:50 PM
127 ... 23456
tools
    Have you ever played World of Warcraft?
    No. Many have tried to hook me on that electro-crack. I'm not starting. I know me... I'd be bleary eyed, shaking, cheetos dust all over my face at 3 AM telling myself, "Just one more quest."
    Guytronic, a5cent and colinkiama like this.
    08-30-2015 08:17 PM
    I'd be bleary eyed, shaking, Cheetos dust all over my face at 3 AM telling myself, "Just one more quest."
    True story...I've had friends who got divorced over WoW.
    Darn near had to fire a young guy in the maintenance shop I was in charge of because he never slept at home
    RumoredNow and shaunydub like this.
    08-30-2015 08:35 PM
    I saw the mock ups and immediately knew I would be switching for good to something else. The leaked iPhone 6s Plus photos make it look more professional and top tier. The 950 looks like the 640 which is cheap!!!
    Jorge Holguin and iggim like this.
    08-30-2015 10:42 PM
    The blue one looks like some Chinese make phone. Look at the camera lens and the flash and a big circle surrounding it! At first glance I thought it might be a big lens somewhat like 1020's. But no! its only the design! What the actual lens is teenie weenie round shape within this BIG ROUND CIRCLE!! OMG people would really dig it it! Really?!?! YUphoria phone, that cheap android phone having android one os has somewhat same design for the camera. Come on Microsoft that's not what a flagship phone looks tbh.

The black one is definitely Chinese phone. Period.
    Last edited by SBaljeet; 08-30-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: cz i can!
    08-30-2015 10:45 PM
    Talks of insults with insults. Classic. Admit it out not, everyone here (particularly posters) are either fanboys or trolls.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems obvious that at an oddly large number of people here complain about everything from Microsoft. This was because of all the Nokia fanboys, but I can't explain it anymore. People complain and talk about leaving the platform because Windows 10 mobile is slow and buggy... does that make logical sense at this point in it's development? Just look at the recent threads, they are almost always overwhelmingly against Microsoft out something with Windows phone. I just don't understand how anyone could be so unhappy for so long without abandoning the platform.

I find it hard to believe that you out any other member here hasn't witnessed irrational complaints.
    See, now false equivalence. I say that dissension isn't irrational complaining, and you take that to mean I say that no irrational complaints happen. That's why I can't have a real discussion with you.
    08-30-2015 11:18 PM
    People pay 40k or more for fully loaded Camrys all the time. I own a car dealership, its a lot more common that you would think. As for a lexus, its just a toyota with better leather and some more added tech. Sorry to burst your bubble there friend.

Apple products have always been premium. My sister works on a 2k apple laptop, I can do most of the work she does on my 500 dollar pc.

I will agree that a 700 dollar phone needs to be made out of premium materials. My microsoft band, while good tech, the band is literally falling apart.
    iggim likes this.
    08-30-2015 11:31 PM
    The blue one looks like some Chinese make phone. Look at the camera lens and the flash and a big circle surrounding it! At first glance I thought it might be a big lens somewhat like 1020's. But no! its only the design! What the actual lens is teenie weenie round shape within this BIG ROUND CIRCLE!! OMG people would really dig it it! Really?!?!Period.
    I don't think you understand how lenses work...
    Last edited by instantcoffe; 08-31-2015 at 03:26 AM. Reason: quotes
    08-31-2015 03:16 AM
    But why every single manufacturer went the ''luxury'' way??

-Because Apple showed them that form is the top priority in order to buy a thing in the first place!
    And hardcore ''function over form'' manufacturers such as Samsung, distorted their series like the Note and S, in order to be more iPhone-y..
    It's called Conspicuous Consumption. If someone spends flagship device kinda money on a device, they want it to look like they spent flagship device kinda money to everyone else. And not look like some budget device from Fisher Price.

Call it shallow if you like (because it is), but it is a reality, so you either play to it, or next to no one buys your stuff.

The Chinese (the biggest and most lucrative smartphone market, and one Microsoft really desperately needs to crack) and the US (Microsoft's home market and the second most lucrative) are very very big on Conspicuous Consumption. If these renders are correct, these devices are just not going to cut it.
    a5cent, Jorge Holguin and iggim like this.
    08-31-2015 03:31 AM
    See, now false equivalence. I say that dissension isn't irrational complaining, and you take that to mean I say that no irrational complaints happen. That's why I can't have a real discussion with you.
    LOL
    O...K...

I think it's more that you twist my point to make your own but whatever.
    08-31-2015 06:08 AM
    To be honest I don't think MS can be charging big bucks for these phones considering their 2% market share. But they will and they won't sell. They look good for an updated 640, 100-200 I'd buy one but these will be in iPhone 6S and S6 territory.
    08-31-2015 06:31 AM
    Some quick points to consider:

- My hope is they won't be $600-$700. Maybe that's why they're not iPhone-like in appearance - $450-$550 would justify that.
    - Personally, I'm glad not to see solid metal bodies. I =want= a removable battery and SD-card expansion, and metal phones generally don't allow that. Metal phones also weigh more and have issues with wireless charging.
    - And this is purely IMHO. I want great function; "looks" and "feel in the hand" are way down my priority list. I've never understood why anyone would pay $700 for a phone and not protect it with a case. They usually look like crap after 6 months of dropping the soap-slippery devices. So if most of us put a nice looking case on them, what does it matter if it's aluminum or poly-carb? Much more important that it's a responsive phone with a full sensor suite, plenty of RAM and storage, sharp screen, and that new features such as HELLO are available. These seem to fit that bill.

I'm looking forward to these devices.
    I totally agree about the metal bodies. Besides not being able to remove a battery or memory card, I find that the metal bodies overheat more easily than plastic bodies.
    08-31-2015 07:23 AM
    Would you pay $40,000 for Nissan Maxima?
    Where have you been? Maximas do cost $40k. They start in the mid-$30k range which already isn't cheap, and it doesn't take much to raise the price. And Maximas sell very well despite the price tag.

And in any case, luxury brand snobbery aside, Toyota Camrys continue to be some of the best selling cars on the road. And you can get one of those priced out well into the $30k range as well.

As for your reaction to those phones I'd really like to say grow up. There's nothing wrong with these designs and I really like the minimalist aesthetic. Unfortunately, it seems far too many people have been taught to expect metal. The irony is that phones with metal bits end up looking like crap within about a year because they don't typically hold up to wear as well as plastic. Unless you stick the thing in a case, at which point you can no longer show off the design.

Of course, that might be a irrelevant considering how frequently many Americans replace their phones. But then, that makes these designs even less problematic considering the rumors about Surface phones coming in the spring.

I've had my Lumia 920 for nearly 3 years now and continue to be happy with it. If I can get a 950 in a similarly vibrant yellow I'd be very happy indeed.

And I really look forward to the day hashtags die.
    Al4video and solarscreen like this.
    08-31-2015 08:54 AM
    Have you ever played World of Warcraft? Go visit their forums and you'll see the same exact stuff. "Rarr, rarr, rarr, I'm leaving... I'm leaving for real. Seriously, guys. I'm leaving!" Yet, there they are still posting to the forums (meaning they have an active account) months and months later. Just do it. I once resolved to quit Facebook. I was tired of the changes, the security junk, the spam, the noise, the privacy concerns. I responded to feedback when it was requested, but I didn't go to some forum to complain. I simply quit. 8 months and counting. It can be done. These sort of people that complain about everything think they're doing the world some kind of service.
    I never said that I am leaving.. I love W10 already upgraded 2 tablets & 3 PCs. And I am using WM on my 640. But after owning the 920, 925 and the 1520 these mocks are just awful, like I said they look like a upgraded 640 & 640Xl.
    08-31-2015 09:45 AM
    Where have you been? Maximas do cost $40k. They start in the mid-$30k range which already isn't cheap, and it doesn't take much to raise the price. And Maximas sell very well despite the price tag.

And in any case, luxury brand snobbery aside, Toyota Camrys continue to be some of the best selling cars on the road. And you can get one of those priced out well into the $30k range as well.

As for your reaction to those phones I'd really like to say grow up. There's nothing wrong with these designs and I really like the minimalist aesthetic. Unfortunately, it seems far too many people have been taught to expect metal. The irony is that phones with metal bits end up looking like crap within about a year because they don't typically hold up to wear as well as plastic. Unless you stick the thing in a case, at which point you can no longer show off the design.

Of course, that might be a irrelevant considering how frequently many Americans replace their phones. But then, that makes these designs even less problematic considering the rumors about Surface phones coming in the spring.

I've had my Lumia 920 for nearly 3 years now and continue to be happy with it. If I can get a 950 in a similarly vibrant yellow I'd be very happy indeed.

And I really look forward to the day hashtags die.
    They sell well, just as WP 8.1 no enough. Now about the Camrys they've been establish for more than 20 yrs now, affordable and quality. WP had a very bad reputation outside of the hardcore fan like us. I loved my 920, 925, 1520 and i like my 640 but guess what they all have similar design [excluding the 925] and three yrs later stats show they did not sell. And as like some one said above "Conspicuous Consumption" is really important when it comes to sell we like it or not.
    08-31-2015 09:54 AM
    If you want an iPhone why don't you just get an iPhone. I'd suggest that you wait for the 6s because I think they fixed the bending problem. You can have the pretty metal body and you won't have to worry about wireless charging, removable batteries or micro SD cards, and if you are lucky you might get a twelve megapixel camera and two megabytes of memory. Shame to put the stylish little thing in a case though, but they seem fairly fragile if my daughters iPhones are any guide.
    I am not living the platform. I never said that, and yes I would like more premium design than these square boxes. For example Lumia 925. You do not need the all thing to be metal, but to have a premium.
    08-31-2015 09:58 AM
    Since when did you become the judge of what people will pay for? This doesn't make sense. Just imagine for a moment a world where decisions and design don't revolve around you? Now breathe!!!
    That is why the OP is about me... You can agree or not I am ok with that. Cheers.
    theefman likes this.
    08-31-2015 10:05 AM
    flagships simply do not sell.
    Microsoft knows that and was not dragged into a marketing race that resulted for all companies (except apple) with countless stockpiled flagships collecting dust in warehouses. Mid Range is all the rage and totally worth the money. Having said that,

Didn't wait two Years for This! Either. I am very disappointed with this totally uninspired design.

925 (and 920 with its iconic monolithic design) are still the top Windows Phone devices for me.
    Joe Dubya and iggim like this.
    08-31-2015 10:34 AM
    People pay premiums for Toyota Camrys all the time, the Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES for example, they don't look PREMIUM other than that Lexus Badge on the ES, I own a 640 right now and before I had a Flagship 928, the 640 looks and feels just as if not more premium than the 928, people reacting like this are just throwing childish hissy fits with no real basis, round corners and polycarbonate don't prevent a phone from looking "premium".
    08-31-2015 11:59 AM
    they look good to me if they are real of course..
    08-31-2015 12:24 PM
    They seriously need to ditch that "Microsoft" branding above display it's awful and takes too much space.
    08-31-2015 02:23 PM
    Good luck with that HTC flagship....Glances at their previous windows Phone devices

1. HTC 8X/8S---
    Users were screwed around royally with updates and it took them ages to get WIndows Phone 8.1 and there are some individuals who never got Windows Phone 8.1

Oh and by the way they are blocked from being able to use developer preview.

2. HTC One M8-
    Updates are slightly better on this phone and it looks amazing and it has great specs.

Oh wait....that $600 nicely designed phone with the awesome design and specs has a camera that's quality looks worse than a sub #100 phone. Scored significantly lower than it is competitor android, windows and even the iPhone in camera test.

But at least it was pretty.....

Oh and btrw the HTC One M8 windows is a rehash of an android phone which for some is fine....but it would be fine if the fact that the M8 windows is still basically inferior to its android cousin as it lacks features/functionality. But at least it has most.

3. HTC M9-
    Based of initial reports there were some issues with performance and took them awhile to iron those out and that camera, has got a big spec improvement....

Except wait...once again HTC's camera sucks and its users complained about it and the fact that compared to other competitors HTC is still weak.

But at least it was pretty.....

Yeah i'll take the 'ugly' Lumia phones over an HTC any day as I am usually guaranteed a phenomenal experience with my Lumia(I have yet to be l et down by any of the flagships or the low end/midrange models) because design aside, at least I know my phone is guaranteed proper support coming from Microsoft and it's features/specs aren't going to be weak.
    You read my mind! My first windows phone was the HTC 8X, then I upgraded to the HTC One M8 because I got tired of waiting for the Windows 8.1 updates. I also tried to use my old 8X for the insider program and discovered that I couldn't. Generally I like my M8, but the metal case overheats way too easily. My contract with Verizon is up next fall, so I have to wait a little while anyway but I'm probably going to switch to a lumia of some sort.
    08-31-2015 02:31 PM
    Xperia Z5 - that is a proper looking flagship. It would be great if they came with Windows as well.

xperia-z5-premium_2.png
    08-31-2015 03:39 PM
    how is it when you drop it?
    08-31-2015 06:07 PM
    Im disappointed with the designs, it looks like a recycled lumia 640, which is fine for an $80 phone but not for a flagship that will sell for probably $500. The problem is just a little over a month ago we saw leaks of two previous premium quality phones, the Mclaren and the yellow prototype that leaked with it - either an early 830 prototype, 850 or some other phone. Both designs use the fabula design language to great effect and look unique amongst all the other square phones out there. Its annoying because there they are, they built them and yet didnt release them, and I think either design would have satisfied most of us hardcore WP users.

Also take a look at the OBI Worldphone that was just released, they took the fabula design language and ran with it. If that was a windows phone I would buy it in a snap. And theyre selling it for $200! You cant tell me that the Obi doesnt look more like a flagship - more premium than the 950/950xl.

In the end I guess Ill have to see them in person, Ill take my 640 with me and if they look and feel mostly the same, Im not going to spend 5 times as much for the same phone with better internals.

P.S. If you want to know what I thought these flagships should look like, look at the yellow prototype that leaked last month, or take the 735 design, blow it up to size and slim it just a little (which is what I think that yellow proto does anyway), and you still have removable battery, sd card and personalized back plates. That design wont get lost in a crowd of phones on the store shelves.
    iggim likes this.
    08-31-2015 06:52 PM
    My Lumia 640 doesn't look bad now xD
    08-31-2015 06:57 PM
127 ... 23456