We waited two Years for This! #nomicrosoftflagship

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I really hope their flagships don't ditch dedicated capacitive buttons to onscreen ones.

Some specs would be nice to see, but the renders look rather generic, and don't have the sort of special something to make them look like a flagship phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's some dude's computer rendered drawing.

I want to see the actual phone before I decide what the actual phone looks like, actually...

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Nobody will pay luxury money for a Toyota Camry not matter what you put inside. It is still and midrange car. And we are supposed to pay $700 for these.. Are you joking? Premium whatever has to look good, feels good and works good. Would you pay $40,000 for Nissan Maxima? I don't think so. I am sure you would for a Lexus or Mercedes Benz, right?

That's a flawed analogy. In the era of platform sharing and increasingly premium features in more base cars, you might very well be buying a Lexus that's based on the mundane Camry. Remember that Lexus remains essentially an American brand, and much of their product line is nothing more than a rebadged Toyota. As for a 40k Maxima? Offer me 40k of features and quality, and we can talk.

So essentially... look at it like this. This phone is priced quite competitively compared to Android flagships such as the Galaxy S6 and LG G4. It slots in right around the G4's release price which undercut the Galaxy due to plastic build, and fewer luxuries and odd features. I'll undoubtedly give this phone a good hard look before I pass any harsh judgement on it. Galaxy S6 looked great in renders, but fell short in practice.

#realflagship #dealwithit

Complaining that the 950 does not pack the future is kinda pointless. Should Microsoft wait for the 820? But wait, the Snapdragon 830 will soon be around, maybe they should wait another year, but wait, the Snapdragon 840 will soon be announced, certainly we should wait, but wait... ... ... Fact is that the 810 and 808 has fallen short on synthetic benchmarks against the Exynos, and the A9x has fallen short against both. And yet... iphone users have a pretty good experience with their new phones. I haven't heard much complaining from the G4 users.

tl;dr: Get over it. We finally get a new phone after a couple of years of patient waiting only to rip it apart? There is always something better on the horizon, don't wait. Embrace the now. Waiting for the future is eternal.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah well, considering what we've been seeing from Nokia/Microsoft the last couple years, our standards have been subconsciously lowered.

Says you :) Mine haven't...I'd feel like I'd lower my standards going to an HTC or a Samsung. I'd take a Blu over either of them.

That's a very "matter of fact" statement and I'm not so sure that EVERYONE agrees with you!!!

I sure don't :)
1. Maybe if you only acknowledge measurements by naming only. The 950 carries the SD 808 chip, which is inferior to the 810. The 810 tested poorly against the Samsung Exynos chips inside it S6 and S6 Edge. The 820 is also going into phones NOW, but Microsoft has opted for the older chip that's basically being replaced by every other flagship OEM within 4 months of the 950/950 XL release. The camera's not proven to be top-notch, as we know nothing of its OIS quality, nor do we know how it'll compare to the optics of the 930 and 1520 (same resolution). The 950 also isn't going to have integrated wireless charging, and you apparently have to buy some stupid flip cover (things I don't like) to add it in. We barely know anything about the true guts of these things, except that one carries a mid-range SoC and the other carries a high-end one that's about to be replaced. Other than that, it's somewhat vague stuff, from a performance standpoint (MP aren't the only thing to show camera quality, we don't know the battery life, regardless of battery size, etc.).

2. "Expensive looking?" You mean, "expensive, and carrying high-end parts and materials." I don't want a metal body phone, they always lean towards lighter colors, and I don't care for those much on my phones (I abhor gloss plastic and hate white, yellow, cyan, and pink Lumia bodies). However, there is NOTHING refreshing about these things. As everyone says, the 950 is basically a 640/640 XL retread, and those look every bit the budget device. The 950 XL's inexplicable camera ring is hideous on the black device (probably isn't AS gross on a white one, but still an eyesore). I didn't like the 830/930 design because of the aluminum bands (found them ugly--as I said, don't like light-colored metals), but I'd take them ANY DAY over these things.

3. Yeah, that Microsoft motto is a joke. If they were really about DOING stuff, they wouldn't have thrown pop-out menus into everything, making switching panes in an app slower and more cumbersome. They wouldn't have tucked all of my e-mail accounts into one app, leaving me to fumble around that pile of garbage known as "Outlook Mail" on W10M. They wouldn't have taken away multiple functions from Xbox Music (lockscreen and live tile settings). They wouldn't have thrown us an Xbox app that doesn't have toast notifications for messages. They wouldn't have cluttered the app list with a dozen or more system apps you can't uninstall, even if you don't want them. They wouldn't have bloated the OS to more than double the size of WP8.1. They wouldn't have basically done everything they could to just copy the iOS and Android designs of pop-out windows and layers upon layers of menus to be popular.

Microsoft's about profits, not doing. That's why they're copying competing UIs. That's why they're porting apps (eventually), rather than building great apps for Windows users and hiding them from the competing platforms, in the hopes of adding a few more users.

1. Reminds me of the HTC fans stating that the M8 windows was better than the 1520/930/Icons because it used an 801 processor vs the 800 processor. When we all discovered that in real world usage, the 801 processor really had no noticeable difference...but it help that small minority feel better so good on them.

Now an 808 vs 820 might be a much radical difference. Wouldn't know and I am not going to sit here and declare either way that it is a good or bad thing because none of us. Remember....only geeks and fans like ourselves actually CARE about that. So your argument is essentially pointless because a general consumer has no clue what a qadcore processor is and what chipset is faster than the other.

1B. I find it hilarious that apple is given a pass by most to be able to have such subpar specs(The IPhone 6 I believe has a 720P screen, Paltry 8 megapixel camera, Barely passable Front Facing camera) compared to their competitors.

The thing that apple fans realize is that just because it doesn't have the top of the line specs(Isnt the iPhone only 1 GB ram...same as my $100 640) apple utilizes the specs have because it doesn't need to have the BEST specs be the BEST PHONE. More power doesn't translate into the Best Phone(Android says hello).

2. The Lumia 640 XL is my favorite designed Windows Phone thus far. Doesn't feel cheap or look cheap in the least and I get compliments and questions on it, the same as I did with my 1520.
My 640 looks cheap but then again it is a glossy plastic with my fingerprints and greasy food stains on it lol.

I personally like the new lumias. I am glad that we are leaving the pointy sharp edges behind and I am a fan of the 640 Xl design language and I love polycarbate.

I am disappointed by the lack of colors...I want Hulk Green or Cyan or some shade of blue.

3. Now I can fully agree with you. You sound similar to me :) I am not thrilled with WIndows 10 mobile(but I still find it better than IOS and I refuse to use android) for many of the same reasons.

I hate the ported apps idea and I despise the fact my phone feels like it is turning into android. I don't really like Windows 10 on my Surface tbh. But I am learning to adapt to it and I am going to and adapt to Windows 10 for mobile.

3B. You do realize how silly that sounds. Of course they are about profits...this is a business not a charity.

Unfortunately while I share your complaints in 3, we have to realize that they are going to have to sacrifice some stuff to gain users because we need the users so we can get the apps and support.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope this isn't what flagship means to Microsoft because these look like cramming all night the day before the midterms. Funny, of all the renders we've seen float through this forum, how in the world did we get here? This looks like a Chinese knock-off at walmart. Granted these are really low grade renders so I'll keep my powder dry for now.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Just lost all patience after the 3rd post on the second page. I guess to summarise what everyone ( majority) here are saying is that beauty is more than skin deep. OP!, You need good looks for the price point that MS is going to set, get a case which most will get anyway, slap it on and move on. If that isn't an option than show MS how you take your business with your feet and walk away. I am sure most here are looking at hardware specs and the performance that you can get out of the device (for making it high end) rather than looking at the bezel and button design and shape of the screen and the rest. I could have given you an analogy from elsewhere around the world but that would be pretty (sic) inappropriate for the forums. Find something better to discuss M8( read mate and not HTC)

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with these phones, they just waited too long and there's no way they could live up to the hype. That said 100% of these crybabies are STILL buying one.

Will McClenaghan

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you want an iPhone why don't you just get an iPhone. I'd suggest that you wait for the 6s because I think they fixed the bending problem. You can have the pretty metal body and you won't have to worry about wireless charging, removable batteries or micro SD cards, and if you are lucky you might get a twelve megapixel camera and two megabytes of memory. Shame to put the stylish little thing in a case though, but they seem fairly fragile if my daughters iPhones are any guide.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Most phone manufacturers rarely venture from their bread and butter designs. The iPhone has had two major refreshes in its lifetime. The Galaxy appears to simply be following suit. The Lumia line needs to have a look that belongs to it for years. This may be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
1. Maybe if you only acknowledge measurements by naming only. The 950 carries the SD 808 chip, which is inferior to the 810. The 810 tested poorly against the Samsung Exynos chips inside it S6 and S6 Edge. The 820 is also going into phones NOW, but Microsoft has opted for the older chip that's basically being replaced by every other flagship OEM within 4 months of the 950/950 XL release. The camera's not proven to be top-notch, as we know nothing of its OIS quality, nor do we know how it'll compare to the optics of the 930 and 1520 (same resolution). The 950 also isn't going to have integrated wireless charging, and you apparently have to buy some stupid flip cover (things I don't like) to add it in. We barely know anything about the true guts of these things, except that one carries a mid-range SoC and the other carries a high-end one that's about to be replaced. Other than that, it's somewhat vague stuff, from a performance standpoint (MP aren't the only thing to show camera quality, we don't know the battery life, regardless of battery size, etc.).

2. "Expensive looking?" You mean, "expensive, and carrying high-end parts and materials." I don't want a metal body phone, they always lean towards lighter colors, and I don't care for those much on my phones (I abhor gloss plastic and hate white, yellow, cyan, and pink Lumia bodies). However, there is NOTHING refreshing about these things. As everyone says, the 950 is basically a 640/640 XL retread, and those look every bit the budget device. The 950 XL's inexplicable camera ring is hideous on the black device (probably isn't AS gross on a white one, but still an eyesore). I didn't like the 830/930 design because of the aluminum bands (found them ugly--as I said, don't like light-colored metals), but I'd take them ANY DAY over these things.

3. Yeah, that Microsoft motto is a joke. If they were really about DOING stuff, they wouldn't have thrown pop-out menus into everything, making switching panes in an app slower and more cumbersome. They wouldn't have tucked all of my e-mail accounts into one app, leaving me to fumble around that pile of garbage known as "Outlook Mail" on W10M. They wouldn't have taken away multiple functions from Xbox Music (lockscreen and live tile settings). They wouldn't have thrown us an Xbox app that doesn't have toast notifications for messages. They wouldn't have cluttered the app list with a dozen or more system apps you can't uninstall, even if you don't want them. They wouldn't have bloated the OS to more than double the size of WP8.1. They wouldn't have basically done everything they could to just copy the iOS and Android designs of pop-out windows and layers upon layers of menus to be popular.

Microsoft's about profits, not doing. That's why they're copying competing UIs. That's why they're porting apps (eventually), rather than building great apps for Windows users and hiding them from the competing platforms, in the hopes of adding a few more users.

Microsoft has a created a better experience on lesser processors through optimization. Your point couldn't be more moot unless you are saying higher numbers are better. And then your point would be "Mooter" if there is such a thing.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Fail - was the first world that came to my mind this morning when I saw the 950 & 950xl designs. They just look like updated 640 & 640xl with better features. I can't believe this. And for those that are calling us haters. You can go to hell - yes I am pissed specially after being waiting for two years for a WM(WP) flagship phone/s. Those should not be call flagship phones period. Just look at them. Seriously! I read that these may not be the final designs (I will pray for that person mouth).

Nobody will pay luxury money for a Toyota Camry not matter what you put inside. It is still and midrange car. And we are supposed to pay $700 for these.. Are you joking? Premium whatever has to look good, feels good and works good. Would you pay $40,000 for Nissan Maxima? I don't think so. I am sure you would for a Lexus or Mercedes Benz, right? So, no I am not happy with the designs. And please, this has nothing to do with the OS. I love the OS. I may get a new 1520 if I have to. Follow my tweet

#norealflagship

Since when did you become the judge of what people will pay for? This doesn't make sense. Just imagine for a moment a world where decisions and design don't revolve around you? Now breathe!!!

campbellc

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
If, in person, they resemble the 640 & 640xl I will not buy it. I love MS and have been a loyal supporter but the 640 looks incredibly cheap in person. So much so that I looked at it for about 15 seconds and then left the at&t store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos