The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-08-2017 03:20 AM
1,280 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    100%, without a doubt - YES! I have a L822 and a Nexus 5. The N5 should blow the doors off the L822 in terms of speed but, it doesn't. Android in general is just more of a kludge than WP is - I could list my complaints/differences, but I'm sure others have already covered that. I tried my best to adapt to Android as it would save me $20/month (because of one app I need for work), but it just doesn't work as well as WP for my needs.
    09-02-2015 04:36 AM
    Tough question. I have been using smartphones ever since they came on the market, hence way before the iPhone was launched. I started with Windows Mobile devices, but when Microsoft stopped development after WM6.5, I switched to Android and used it for five years straight until last year. Last year, I purchased the Lumia 830 directly when it was launched.

My main reasons for switching to Windows Phone (WP) were:
    1) I always found Android a bit messy, i.e. no consistent feel/experience thorughout the interface. This is probably the result of Google not applying very strict rules on apps & widgets. In contrast, iOS and WP are very consistent, which I personally like a lot.
    2) The main reason however is that WP ties in much better with my professional workspace as everything is Microsoft at work. Since I work at a large company with very strict IT-security, it was always a struggle with Android. All kinds of work-arounds had to be developped since the native support is not that great on an Android device. iOS and WP on the other hand integrate perfectly with full native support.
    3) I always liked the interface of WP with the active tiles.
    4) I always liked the Nokia Lumia designs.

So, I have been using the Lumia 830 now for almost a year and I am still impressed by it. The OS is extremely stable, and everything simply works. I never have battery drain issues (Android.....) and I absolutely love the fluid integration with my professional workspace. In addition the camera on the Lumia 830 is very good, really nice pictures also when the light is not optimal.

But, there are things that bother me and actually I notice myself getting more and more annoyed over time. In all honesty, these have nothing to do with the Lumia 830 itself, but more with Microsoft and the way they manage the whole WP-program. For example, I live in Belgium, and still have no Cortana. I know I can get it by changing regional settings, but apart from messing up my acces to the local WP-store, it is ridiculous that one year after launch nothing has changed. Microsoft seems to completely ignore the non-US markets even though it is exactly in these markets that WP is getting some traction and market penetration.

The other thing annoying me is the much discussed and debated "app gap". I know, it is all relative, and some people are more impacted than others, but to me local apps are important and its is exactly there that the app gap becomes most noticeable. I mean, have you ever seen an add for an application from a company, a school, a local retailer, you name it, where anything other than the Apple App-store or Google Play were advertised???

Third thing is accessories. It is very tough finding cool accessories for any other smartphone than the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S-models. And I am not talking about cases, but things like smartwatches and fitness-bands, or other cool bluetooth enabled devices that can actually connect and share full functionality. It just does not exist for WP, the only exception being the Microsoft Band, which again is extremely difficult to get if you do not live in the US (rest of the world is again seemingly irrelevant to Microsoft).

Apart from the Lumia 830, I also use the iPad mini 2, which is also fully connected to my work-environment. So, I do have plenty of experience with iOS to know that it is just as stable as WP and very well executed, I mean, it is one consistent experience troughout the device. It think it is actually very ironic that Android has the largest market share of all three OS's, while being (in my humble opinion) inferior to both iOS and WP, purely looking at the OS itself. But history repeats itself, in the old days VHS was also the inferior system for videorecording compared to Betamax and Video 2000 but yet the most used standard.

So that brings me to the basic question: should I buy another WP or not? To be very honest, I am very inclined to switch to the iPhone for the very reasons listed above. In my heart however, I would hate to do that as I believe WP is a superb OS and in fact closest to my likings. Microsoft however, is making it very hard to love them.

So most likely, I will wait until the official WP10 upgrade comes to my Lumia 830 and wait a bit to see how I like it, but most importantly, if WP10 really brings changes on the "app gap" front or not. If not, then I will make the move to iPhone where at least I know that full support exists from softwaremakers, and accessory makers.

Just my two cents.
    09-02-2015 06:10 AM
    Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?
    Nope. Too little too late.

I bought a new capable compact camera just yesterday, so my need for a flagship phone (with a proper camera) seized to exist. I bet Win10mobile is and will be great in time, but I've no need for a new phone anymore - in year's or two's time. In fact I was thinking about switcing back to my Nokia E71 just for the giggles (and smaller size).
    09-02-2015 06:27 AM
    Always, as long as they make them. I work and play in a Microsoft world, and I have everything I need. Windows Mobile works well and Lumia phones do exactly what I need them to. All this fanboi jabber about curves and bezels and metal and glass is stupid and childish. You put a case around all that and all you have left is function. No case? That glass or metal body is going to get dinged up, chipped and broken. I see it every day in the disappointed eyes of those I work around who are trying to get their moneys worth from their damaged sparkle toys.

Not me, I will ALWAYS buy durable, functional, and satisfying over fools gold that doesn't look like my tablets, laptop, and workstation.
    09-02-2015 06:50 AM
    Windows Mobile 10 doesn't look very inspiring yet. So I will be sticking with my two year old Lumia 925 and WP8.1 for another year to see if Microsoft ever get any sense of mobile. They have lost their way since the great vision of WP7.

I will be going back to Android.
    theefman likes this.
    09-02-2015 07:29 AM
    YES!!! they getting better and developers are embracing the platform at last...
    09-02-2015 07:44 AM
    Not gonna buy any high end lumia . Feels like living in BETA world as a second class citizen of Mobile operating. not much of App gap problem but SuckyNonupdatingBetaCrap apps . Windows phone 10 starts feeling like copycat of iOS and android. WP 10 foregoing all the unique UI feature of WP 8 and Wp7.5 that I originally liked . SO why not get android /iOS with real working first party apps. And what with this regional setting .... Cortona is in eternal alpha phase in India . Even with US regional setting Cortana's speech recognition sucks . Google Now easily wipes floor with Cortana in terms speech recognition and smart result without having to change any region and language setting whatsoever . heck even Apple music was available here(India) from the start but groove is again locked in U.S. only.
    will use WP as my beta device only as of now and hopefully MS one day may wake up and starts taking WP seriously
    sinisfree likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:18 AM
    Daniel Rubino was told "I can tell you that no" 1030 "or" 1040 "is currently planned. That was a thing to differentiate Nokia. Sorry!".

In my opinion, if Microsoft really wants to differentiate Lumia (Nokia) and Lumia (Microsoft), please change your Lumia phone designs.
    Microsoft does not realize that there are no significant differences between the Lumia (Nokia) and Lumia (Microsoft).
    Please change your Lumia design, because it is getting boring and outdated. Use the buttons on the screen is very suffocating.
    Samsung galaxy 6 Edge has a curve on the side of the screen, that their identities. And LG G4 has a curve in the middle of the screen.
    While Microsoft is only remained dull and there's nothing identity marks for Lumia Microsoft.

Polycarbonate for Body material that is "Nokia thing", Oreo at back cover for camera hump also "Nokia thing" and PureView technology still "Nokia thing".
    So what it is "Microsoft thing???" what Microsoft identity???

Microsoft soon will be introduced Lumia 950 and 950XL, although it microsoft product, but still using a Nokia Lumia design.
    The fact Lumia Microsoft still living in the shadow of the Nokia brand. If want make a difference, please do it thoroughly.
    Where is your designer team? Dear Panos Panay please save this Lumia Brand, because they getting boring and old fashion.
    Microsoft should look at Acer Predator 6, Samsung galaxy 6 Edge or LG G4 design...that what we want.

What i talking is about Phone Design, Phone shape and Phone materials. Not about sofware or hardware. So don't said live tiles is "Microsoft thing".
    pw38 likes this.
    09-02-2015 09:35 AM
    This question truly is a no-brainer. The answer is 'yes'. I am looking forward to the new flagship phone, specifically the rumored 950 XL. Having the Lumia 1520 has changed my life and how I do things. I have owned and used an Android, as well as an iPhone, and I have to say, the Lumia 1520 with Lumia Denim has been a far more satisfying experience than the other phones combined. From how I work, how I communicate, how I make memories, shoot photos and videos, and how I play - hands down the Lumia 1520 has been simply AMAZING! I think the rumored 950 XL will make a superior replacement for the 1520 especially having Windows 10 Mobile on it. I know a lot of people are giving a lot of flack on Windows 10 Mobile...but if remember how buggy and crappy Windows 10 was a few months ago before it's release - be patient, and I am sure the new devices are going to kick as much **** if not more! Looking forward to it all!!!
    09-02-2015 09:49 AM
    I fell in love with the design of the 1020/920, but all of the Microsoft phones I've seen so far, aside from the 730, are just horrid design wise. Plus W10M is just horrible, I've been using it since day one, and apart from the bugs that I've disregarded, Microsoft looks like they don't know what they're doing. Unless when the launch date comes around and the OS is the perfect amalgam between players I'm jumping to Android.
    I really agree with you, buddy. The desgins of the 950 are really killing all the intentions I had for replacing my 930 with one of those. I mean, the 930 it's such a beautifully peace of engineering, with good finishing and a simple but pure design. 950 and 640, the only two phones Microsoft has clearly designed are awfull and really give you the sense of carrying a cheap phone, like the iPhone 5C. 730, 630, 830 and pretty much every phone that still uses the Nokia brand are really pretty phones to carry.
    09-02-2015 10:04 AM
    Personally, I'm still in the doubt about getting a new Lumia. I just saw the ACER Jade Primo with Windows 10, and I find it really awesome despite the features. But as far as the Lumia 950 and 640, it really shows Microsoft it's not putting all of it's efforts on bringing devices that really show up in front of the rest. The desing it's catastrophically ugly, and the 950 it's pretty much a 930 with the iris scanner. What a joke: another innecessary feature that'll only consume your battery faster, and which you can totally live without, just like the touch ID on Apple. On the other hand, no bigger improvements on RAM or processor, no improvements on the camera, and no big improvements on battery either. Of course there are things Windows Phone do just awesome, like Cortana and apps, the customization of the Start Screen which, for all of those saying it's no more customizable than Apple's and Google's icons, that is really customizable, no just moving icons all over the screen. The Data Sense app, which is unique, the Live Tiles, which are genius. But I don't know, I'm still looking for MSFT to conquer me again, just like they did on 2014 with the 930.
    09-02-2015 10:10 AM
    One year and a half with the "flagship 930" and besides the very good camera, and beautiful amoled screen, the gift of a bluetooth speaker and a 20 voucher I really think my choice of living without google did not really pay off.
    Sorry, I just have to laugh at the thought of someone feeling like they were missing out by not having google as part of their life :) Mostly because google is not a part of my life and I can't imagine having to use them.

I would buy a Microsoft phone if it beats the Lumia1020 in photo taking abilities. Otherwise, I'm waiting. I hate Microsoft least out of the 3, but I would definitely get an Apple phone before seriously considering anything Android. I would consider an iphone if it could beat the 1020's camera but I don't see Apple putting a ton of resources into achieving that. So, I wait...
    09-02-2015 10:14 AM
    I'm leaning towards getting the 950 XL when it launches.
    I gave the 640 XL a spin earlier this year as a trial for Microsoft's offering, and came away satisfied price vs. quality.

It all depends on price if I get the 950 XL or not. The 930 launched over here at around 540 - which is kind of what I'm prepared to spend, realistic or not.
    09-02-2015 10:38 AM
    Yes I would buy a Windows Phone again. Waiting for a City Man patiently. Well not Patiently just waiting.
    09-02-2015 11:39 AM
    Definitely I will......I have purchased 730 this year...and sadly last Friday someone stole that.....but now i am surly purchase new windows phone instead of stupid android..windows store got everything i need...as compare to overloaded play store (90% apps are useless).
    no hanging problem as in android
    lite weight...compared to FAT BOY(android)
    Windows is just best.....
    overloaded store? 90% useless? Sorry but let's be honest at least...apps on both android and ios are much more complete and with better build quality. no to mention games where wp is lacking even more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 11:41 AM
    Sadly no. I love my time with my lumias (I have had three up until now) but I am fed up with the lack of apps (especially about local services). So my next mobile will be a droid one.

Side note: extremely annoyed with Microsoft not making cortana available to everyone)
    09-02-2015 01:05 PM
    If a pen and some high tech scanner (i.e. not fingerprint) aren't on the list of features, I'm out.
    09-02-2015 01:18 PM
    I will for a few reasons. I'm invested in the ecosystem of Windows. I know those services are available on iOS and Android and that's part of why I'm staying. Microsoft is being the good guy and making available their stuff to everyone while Apple and Google keep their stuff to themselves. In the long run I think that'll backfire and Microsoft will come out ahead.

I like the idea of Windows 10 and WM10 being able to have synergy with Universal Apps. Too much potential there to mindlessly get an iPhone or roll the dice with Android*.

I would love to see a decked out flagship but I don't think we'll see those this time around. Panos didn't move over to that area until recently and his influence won't be seen until next year. I'll be in the market for a new device by then anyway and Win10/WM10 will be well it's way by then.

I'm happy with Windows in general and the apps that I don't have I don't really care for or need or there is a web app anyway.

*I've had to clean malware off of a few Android devices even to the point of doing a full reset. No thanks. I know my way around doing it on a PC. I don't want that mess on a phone, too.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-02-2015 01:33 PM
    I have a 1020. I don't have to worry about stuff like "bendgate" or how good is the signal. The phone is good, I have all apps I need, It is compatible with IBM Domino without additional software.

There are plenty of games, and in the end games in the cell phone are just "time killers" (unless you play something like Doom & Destiny), I have Teamviewer and Remote Desktop.

I use Tweetium, that one of the best twitter clients for any platform. I don't care about snapchat, for Facebook the app is enough. Other apps work for what I need so when I was able to run Android apps I discovered that besides some emulators there were no android apps that I wanted to run.

I like the utilitarian design, how easy is to disassemble it. The 1020 has the best camera possible and it is a complement in my photographer stuff (I use the "zoom" (crop of hi-res images) a lot).

Would I buy another Lumia and/or Windows Phone, yes but it has to be a replacement to the 1020 (meaning a big camera). Or if the Surface Phones become a reality, I might get one of those.

The only thing I miss is that being Windows you can't natively connect or browse network shares in a network.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-02-2015 01:39 PM
    Absolutely would. I tried an LG G3 for a bit. Beautiful piece of hardware, but I just couldn't deal with Android after using WP for so long. The OS just seemed so fragmented and the apps were even worse. Plus it didn't work with my car nearly as well as Cortana does. I always amaze people with how I can send and receive calls and SMS via cortana in my car. And it works flawlessly. Android users told me, "there's an app that you can install make that work on the G3". Why?

I ended up buying a nearly new Icon on eBay for $180 to replace my 928. Hope to see something new before year's end!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    09-02-2015 01:41 PM
    Yes I will as soon as we have a flagship. However, I am willing to give them one last chance to see how Continuum will work and whether or not Astoria and Islandwood works or not. If those two projects don't work out, I unfortunately will be moving to iOS. Let's give it 2 years and see.

Why iOS? Because iPhone is become better and better looking device. And increase in size is good since I don't have to readjust after my 1520.
    09-02-2015 01:52 PM
    Maybe... if MS ever closes the app gap. I previously had a Lumia 1520 and I loved it! I took it on vacation and ended up using it as my only camera for stills and video. After a while I just got fed up with the lack of apps. But it's not just the lack of app, it's also quality of the apps in the store. When I was lucky enough to find the app I needed, the quality was usually pretty crappy.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus now. While the UI is a little boring, I know I'll always find the app I need. As far as Windows, I have a Surface and I'm kinda having the same issue. Luckily I can get around that because the thing runs x86 applications.
    sinisfree and SPS828 like this.
    09-02-2015 01:53 PM
    Feels like living in BETA world as a second class citizen of Mobile operating.
    This... Everyone keeps saying it takes time blah blah blah and I agree to a point, yet when MS finds resources to accommodate the competition (Android/IOS) but leaves their own platforms unfinished in the same areas and then being doled out that's when it becomes an issue for me... As I said before, I'm on the fence whether I'll continue the journey, at this point and time for me the negatives outweigh the positives.
    Last edited by Elky64; 09-02-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Ian_Superfly, pw38, SPS828 and 1 others like this.
    09-02-2015 01:53 PM
    Yeah! Absolutely yes! I love my Lumia 730, and the features WP have are simply everything I need. I was considering moving to Android, but after taking one of the Android phones in my hand I gave up of that idea. For me after so long using WP I just can't migrate to Android. The speed and lightness of the system are impossible to find on Android.
    Kevin Rush and SPS828 like this.
    09-02-2015 02:01 PM
    I am going to have a wait and see approach. I'll have to see once WP10 is out in the wild and if companies start shipping apps for it. Far too often you see IOS/Android apps but WP is nowhere to be found
    09-02-2015 02:07 PM
1,280 ... 910111213 ...