The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-08-2017 03:20 AM
1,280 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    Wow, switching banks because they didn't support WP?! Now that's dedication, awesome!
    LOL

I did too, but to be fair, it was just the tip of the iceberg of my hate for Bank of America. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with Wells Fargo over the last year and a half and their so worked great (it's even updated every one in a while).
    09-06-2015 06:12 PM
    i am testing the TP on a lumia 520 and no is not like you say, already still troubles with certain websites even there are sites that cause the browser gets closed itself or mobile chat rooms where is a mess
    Some of those problems have just started somewhat recently, like the crashes and pull down menus not functioning. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next update. Edge on the PC isn't that great right now either.
    09-06-2015 06:16 PM
    I'm going to stay with Microsoft Mobile/Windows Phone/Windows Mobile until they don't make it anymore. I feel tied into it thanks to Xbox/Groove Music Pass. But I also like the simplicity and fluidity of it. And I'm not worried about apps (or lackthereof) seeing as how I don't have friends to use them with.
    09-06-2015 06:54 PM
    Absolutely not. Microsoft has done a really REALLY poor job with this platform. I loved my 1520 except for the browser and lack of apps. It's camera is so much better than my iPhone 6 that I bring it with me on vacations and special occasions. The innovations to this platform have taken too long. Everything is tied to the release or update of Windows. And over the years I waited patiently for my HTC Arrive, Lumia 900 and 1520 to get major updates that didn't really add anything that the other platforms didn't already have. Losing my banking app didn't help. My 1520 has a terrible browser experience. Websites don't render properly or take too long to load. My iPhone is boring but works flawlessly. There is an app for almost every service, manufacturer or retailer that I use. If there isn't one, Safari handles the web like it should. Touch ID. Apple Pay. Updates in a consistent and painless way. I asked if my 1520 would get Windows 10 and was told to use the Insider program. That's not the level of support that retains customers. After my experience with the Windows Phone 7/7.5/8/8.1 platforms and experiencing what Apple has to offer (iPhone 6) and what Android has to offer (Moto E) Microsoft doesn't have a chance with selling phones. They do however make excellent apps. Outlook, OneNote and Xbox One Smartglass are superior to what's available on Windows Phone. I can access notes in OneNote right from the notifications center on an iPhone but not a Windows Phone. Good luck if you decide to stick with Windows Mobile/Phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ian_Superfly and pw38 like this.
    09-06-2015 07:58 PM
    I asked if my 1520 would get Windows 10 and was told to use the Insider program. That's not the level of support that retains customers.
    And who told you that? I can go ahead and tell you that they based it on unsubstantiated rumors.
    That's some serious sugar coating regarding iPhone and not exactly the experience I have with my iPhone.
    09-06-2015 09:57 PM
    And who told you that? I can go ahead and tell you that they based it on unsubstantiated rumors.
    That's some serious sugar coating regarding iPhone and not exactly the experience I have with my iPhone.
    The answer is here.
    For many users, the natural question was What about my phone? For example, many Lumia 1520 users are wondering why they are not getting Windows 10 Mobile. The short answer is you are getting Windows 10 Mobile if you opt into the Windows Insider program.
    gottago likes this.
    09-06-2015 10:19 PM
    I just bought a 640 and i'm really liking it. I highly doubt i'll buy flagship quality phones ever again. It doesn't make sense for me anymore.
    libra89 and Pieter Wolff like this.
    09-06-2015 10:36 PM
    Absolutely not. Microsoft has done a really REALLY poor job with this platform. I loved my 1520 except for the browser and lack of apps. It's camera is so much better than my iPhone 6 that I bring it with me on vacations and special occasions. The innovations to this platform have taken too long. Everything is tied to the release or update of Windows. And over the years I waited patiently for my HTC Arrive, Lumia 900 and 1520 to get major updates that didn't really add anything that the other platforms didn't already have. Losing my banking app didn't help. My 1520 has a terrible browser experience. Websites don't render properly or take too long to load. My iPhone is boring but works flawlessly. There is an app for almost every service, manufacturer or retailer that I use. If there isn't one, Safari handles the web like it should. Touch ID. Apple Pay. Updates in a consistent and painless way. I asked if my 1520 would get Windows 10 and was told to use the Insider program. That's not the level of support that retains customers. After my experience with the Windows Phone 7/7.5/8/8.1 platforms and experiencing what Apple has to offer (iPhone 6) and what Android has to offer (Moto E) Microsoft doesn't have a chance with selling phones. They do however make excellent apps. Outlook, OneNote and Xbox One Smartglass are superior to what's available on Windows Phone. I can access notes in OneNote right from the notifications center on an iPhone but not a Windows Phone. Good luck if you decide to stick with Windows Mobile/Phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep those are my thoughts exactly. I just switched to a Note 5 and the differences are startling to say the least. The Google play store is heads and shoulders above the WP store. Chrome blows away IE. Pages render properly and fast. Personalization on Android is heads and shoulders above WP. I still have all my MS services on my home screen. MS even does widgets and they make using their apps a better experience. Their apps run better also. It's very interesting to see how MS treats their android customers. Their store page has better discoverability on Android too. I could go on but really there's no need. I've been with WP since the beginning and I'm just tired of waiting. The app gap is real regardless of what people try to say. I can't see them catching up. Sucks too because I love WP. Maybe once they wake up and realize they don't need to control the OS they can just push a tiles launcher. Arrow isn't a bad start for them.
    Deomin likes this.
    09-07-2015 12:57 AM
    Yes i will, if the 10 version feels better than 8.1, android and iOS. I used to be a long time iOS user, jumped to android a couple years ago and discovered 8.1 a few months back with the 640. I don't use many apps anymore so i really don't care about the so called "app gap", i got everything i need. Live tiles, dark theme, basic apps, things that make the platform interesting for me, compared to the boring icon based whitish alternatives.

Personally i am not a fan of any platform, so i will choose what i like best (os and hardware) when its time for a new device. Right now i love my 640.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    09-07-2015 01:13 AM
    The answer is here.
    Not really, nothing confirmed definitively.

What's wrong with getting Windows 10 through the Insider program anyway?
    09-07-2015 01:41 AM
    Not really, nothing confirmed definitively.

What's wrong with getting Windows 10 through the Insider program anyway?
    The only issue might be firmware (if any firmware is needed and not provided via the Insider program).
    09-07-2015 01:46 AM
    If you're carrier doesn't release the update, the firmware wouldn't come anyway. Updates for a two year old poorly selling device is slim to none.
    09-07-2015 01:53 AM
    Alpha? with only a month, max two before release? This means the final release will be still a beta...as all wp versions seemed to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah yes, lets stick to our ipad and complain about Alpha stage products. Very productive :)
    09-07-2015 02:44 AM
    Whats with the fetish of the lack of apps. I been using for a while now and I can't think of hardly anything that I want to do that I cannot do because there is "app" and the "app gap" exists. I really cannot think of a situation. I think this whole app gap nonsense is propagated and thrown around by trolls over and over. How many goddamnn calculator apps you need? LOL
    Pieter Wolff likes this.
    09-07-2015 02:49 AM
    Yes, most likely. Although Sony is making me want to switch to Android...................
    09-07-2015 03:36 AM
    Whats with the fetish of the lack of apps. I been using for a while now and I can't think of hardly anything that I want to do that I cannot do because there is "app" and the "app gap" exists. I really cannot think of a situation. I think this whole app gap nonsense is propagated and thrown around by trolls over and over. How many goddamnn calculator apps you need? LOL
    SnapChat for example. Most (not all) teens and 20s swear by it. It's also to do with the quality of apps. No first or third party app available (don't try and tell me 6Snap, it's been removed from the store and SnapChat will permanently ban you for using it, without appeal.) Compare Instagram on iOS/Android to Windows Phone for example. There are plenty more examples of both but figured I'd give the biggest examples of each.
    09-07-2015 03:37 AM
    @Wes Smith

You are missing the point.

There are quite some apps missing, especially in the management of hardware like stereos, home automation, perhaps smart watches, things like that.
    It's not about having a lot of similar apps (you mentioned calculators), but of having at least ONE good app.
    Last edited by FirstWatt; 09-07-2015 at 03:50 AM.
    PeterNorman likes this.
    09-07-2015 03:37 AM
    It used to be that the lack of an app was no big deal but the problem is bigger now than it was before. Vendors are now only giving you an app option to control hardware. Where as before they would have built a web interface for their device, now there is none. That leaves the user with only two options buy an android or iOS device to control it. It is fair to say its not a number game as I don't believe that the numbers of apps in a store makes it better as there will always be duplication
    09-07-2015 04:37 AM
    I'm done with windows phone my contract is up in November in going to android. I'm tired of getting every app or game after the whole world has enjoyed it. the os is a joke i cant even share file using wifi direct while the 1520 has the capabilities
    09-07-2015 04:52 AM
    If anybody buys a phone just because its has cool tiles... or doesn't buy a phone because its perceived as boring...are not credible. Phones are tools, not gimmicky toys. As a techie who is responsible for 40 company phones...since we went from Android to iPhones, our helpdesk never gets a call about a smartphone issue, and our users are frankly... technical idiots. I would never even consider giving them a WP. I'd never get any sleep. Bottom line...there is nothing they can't do with an iPhone, and better yet, I don't get any help calls anymore. I couldn't care less, nor our users about it being "boring". What's boring is not having any phone issues anymore.
    Deomin and libra89 like this.
    09-07-2015 05:09 AM
    Honestly, the lack of quality official popular apps and less to no regular updates, lack of localized services apps, the messed UX, and horrible Start Screen in Windows 10 Mobile(Totally Transparent or same accent coloured as opposed to colourful, lively Start Screen in Windows 10 PC).
    Sorry, with the way Microsoft is going to push Windows 10 Mobile Software and it's support, I see to less of it's future now.
    If they want establish themselves as Smartphone OS player they should unify app store( not majority apps for pc only, some apps for windows mobile only and only few for both pc and mobile), advertise it too much, bring developers to develop official and quality apps on Windows 10 Mobile Store. bring same start screen concept in both pc and mobile, Horizontal scrolling in Start Screen of Windows 10 Mobile as in PC.
    09-07-2015 05:35 AM
    My experience with the 640XL (my first WP device) has been very positive so I will definitely get the upcoming 950XL. I find the UI a nice departure from Android and iOS. I use 3 devices anyway so I don't find myself missing any apps on WP -- I just use something else. Maybe if I were using it as my only device, I'd be looking elsewhere but for now, I'm happy.
    09-07-2015 05:41 AM
    I could buy, but where is this new phone at?
    there is no new phone!!!!
    09-07-2015 05:43 AM
    ... I feel tied into it thanks to Xbox/Groove Music Pass. ...
    You do know that Microsoft has released official apps for both Android/iOS and that they are better than what you get on WP?
    09-07-2015 05:54 AM
    As much as I've enjoyed having a wp the last 5-6 years or so I think I'm moving to android in a few weeks but keeping my L1020 as I cant fully part with it. Its been so good to me but yes the lack of the fun stuff is an issue and even the apps I do use regularly seem better on other devices.

For me its to try something new and the 6Edge plus is so freaking sexy.

Maybe I will return to wp in 2 years who knows.
    09-07-2015 06:02 AM
1,280 ... 2021222324 ...