Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I think i will stick to my L1520 for a while longer untill there is a real successor for my device, because I don't think the L950 and the L950xl are the flagships i am waiting for.
Something like the Surface Phone with W10 that i've seen in some renders, i would buy in a heartbeat, if it actually were made.
Untill then my L1520 will stay with me, because it still is an everyday joy to use.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
That's the plan, even though Microsoft's fumbled just about everything for a year now, from a mobile standpoint. Android and iOS just do nothing for me. I'm hoping we get a Microsoft Bluetooth controller though, because gaming on a touch device as-is doesn't make me happy.
hmm, /i thought you would jump ship.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes people are willing to spend money on something not the best (or the most popular).

I just like it. I would not think too much on the question "what will I get for every buck I spent on Windows?"....

The quality of people who use the phone can make it appear better :p

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd Windows Smartphone from TELUS mobility.

2006 - Motorola Q9c WM6
2009 - LG iQ WM6.5
2012 - Samsung ATIV S WP8.1.1
2015 - Lumia?

The only thing stopping me from buying a new Lumia this year is if Microsoft is using the crappie Snapdragon 810 in their flagship phone, right now waiting to see if it is the 810 or 820?

Snapdragon 820 is definitely in my next phone!

How much better is Snapdragon 820 compared with 810, except that it is a newer model?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely yes. The lively Live Tiles are amazing. The photos changing. The music tile animated graphics. Tubecast and Flipboard updating their images. I like my calendar, Wunderlist, weather, news, Windows Central, and ... all updating me. The great Bing images on my lock screen, with Tetra Lockscreen, change each day.

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Microsoft Windows phone since 2006, I honestly think that this is my last phone from them...carriers are killing the OS and Microsoft is powerless to stop them.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
How much better is Snapdragon 820 compared with 810, except that it is a newer model?
Better CPU (cores are custom made from Qualcomm this time), better GPU, possibility of 4k60fps recording, 4k screen resolutions etc. Also it is not going to have that strange over heating problem which has ruined phones like the Z3+, htc m9, ONEPLUS TWO (Had to be under clocked)

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you're a bit of an edge case, to be honest. Semi-professional camera manufacturer?

As for banking, well I'm clearly very conservative (with a small 'c', let me make clear) when it comes to trusting my details over the web. I have never banked through my PC or phone because although the cryptographic technology to do so safely does exist, it is very brittle. Any mistake in the it's deployed can undermine the whole exercise. The GOTO FAIL bug proves that even Apple can get it wrong and if you're thinking Android, the Stagefright exploit shows how comprehensively Google can mess up and is only the latest example.

It's instructive to see how Google react when a security flaw is made public. When the BBC pointed out that a Tesco Hudl tablet only deleted the directory tree when reset, leaving files readable, Google made a statement that Android users should turn on device encryption before resetting.

What's clear here is that Google regard the onus of personal privacy to be on their users, whereas Apple and Microsoft rightly recognise this is part of their responsibility. Ordinary users simply do not have the knowledge to even recognise a security flaw, leave alone obviate it. When Google do act on security, it is always retroactively, releasing patches which even they know will not be distributed to the majority of affected users. They also don't stick to their own 90 day rule on going public with such exploits, they asked Zimperium for an extension despite denying Microsoft any. (I hope incidentally, you all have the Zimperium Stagefright detector app on your Android devices?)

Security requires competence and commitment, and in my opinion Google have neither.

You see that I don't regard Android as an option and like others here find iOS dull, so it's just fortunate that I like Windows Mobile so much and that it has proved so reliable.

There are limits though, given that I have to factor in the cost of a decent 128GB SD card, I doubt I'd want to go over ?600. Also, I want to see what my options are: Does the Snapdragon 810 cause Cityman to overheat? Is that shiny ring around the camera on Talkman really as ugly as it seems and well, both models lack elan. Is anyone else going to release a WM flagship and what about a Surface phone? That might meet my needs better.

In short, the answer to your question is yes, I will and do so with the hope that Windows 10 will make the app gap smaller and will gain greater penetration than before.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hell yeah, of course. I really like the OS, pure and simple. Why do I need to 'jump ship' if it suits me, works for me, and is something I enjoy using? I also kinda like the fact that it's unique, it's not just part of the iOS/Android crowd. Why does it always need comparing to those two, it's meant to be a different option. The design style (on 8.1 at least, haven't tried W10) is great, the live tiles make the perfect menu screen for any phone. It just works; Windows is the OS for me, I have no desire to buy a phone running anything other.

For now, I'm happy with my trusty 1020 - I do 'love' (within the context of technology, of course) that phone. As for it's successor, well that depends on how/when I upgrade. As things stand, I'll probably have another year with my 1020 before I consider moving on to a (hopefully reduced in price) 950, or whatever MS phone is looking like a good upgrade at the time.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
One year and a half with the "flagship 930" and besides the very good camera, and beautiful amoled screen, the gift of a bluetooth speaker and a ?20 voucher I really think my choice of living without google did not really pay off. WP 8.1 and 10 is a constant beta. My bank does not have a WP app. Neither my semi prof photo camera manufacturer. Of course they do have it for iOS and Android. WM10 is a copy of iOS the buttons the styles the fly-out of the tiles aso. Cortana's stupid regional settings are infuriating. British Cortana sounds like a female Hawkins simulator combined with a depressed BBC presenter. The list is very long and mostly boring. Now my question to you all, who had either of the flagship models would you go and spend another ?4-500 or equivalent in any currency on a new Microsoft Mobile? Please put your hand on your heart and be honest. I will start by saying NO.
Well with windows 10 mobile you can just side load the Android apps. Or download them if they are in the store. 2/3 major problems solved?

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If you want to get some serious work done, get an android. Job done. If you want to experiment a bit, be with windows.
Even high end lumias are not as 'productive' as Android. Lumias have the style, quality and looks + the camera. But they will not get the work done.

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Waiting for something with sd 210/410; USB mobile data tethering, two separate radio channels for dual sim and the ability use contacts on the sim cards.

Intel is another option.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Of course! I love Microsoft and its products and Windows Phone is my favourite mobile OS. As long as Microsoft continues to develop and support Windows on mobile, I will buy phones running Windows.

Lagdroid is horrible, it lags too much, has a lot of security and performance issues and the UI and apps are too ugly. Plus, Google spies on whatever one does on his/her Lagdroid device. iCrap is too elitist, niche and overrated. I was a fan of Blackberry and its OS, but with the new Venice device running Lagdroid leaked, it is likely that that company may ditch its OS for that Lagdroid.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
No, but only because I wouldn't $500 for any phone. That is an insane amount of money for a handset.

Now, will I wait 6 months and see if I can pick one up for $300-350? Absolutely. If I have to wait a year, I'll do that too.

Phones are too easily ruined by getting caught in the rain, or a drop while fumbling with your keys, or getting snatched from your hand by a thief, or any number of other things. I don't $500-600 to throw away. I suppose if that was pocket change, I'd pay it. But it's not, so I'll wait.

If your question is - will you stay with WP, then the answer is absolutely. The wife has Android, and suits what she needs. The kids all have iPhones. As soon as snapchat ports to WP, they are coming over. They love my phone - they just can't live w/o a few of their stupid social media apps.

If WP10 allows easy porting, and expands the store, the kids are in.

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
No. Granted I got my Lumia 640 for 99 dollars at Walmart but just as a backup to my Nexus 5. While Windows is nice it does not interest me that much to make it my flagship device which shall be a new Nexus 2015 :D. The apps are missing and the apps found are sub par, browsing experience is awful (IE is terrible) and it isn't up to date with lollipop and ios 8 even Marshmallow and ios 9 but it is there in Windows 10 which was goo and awesome but what 8.1 should have had already.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I was a fan of Blackberry and its OS, but with the new Venice device running Lagdroid leaked, it is likely that that company may ditch its OS for that Lagdroid.

What a pity that BB is even doing this, BB10 is still my favorite mobile OS. BB is making sure I'll stay with windows phone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
One year and a half with the "flagship 930" and besides the very good camera, and beautiful amoled screen, the gift of a bluetooth speaker and a ?20 voucher I really think my choice of living without google did not really pay off. WP 8.1 and 10 is a constant beta. My bank does not have a WP app. Neither my semi prof photo camera manufacturer. Of course they do have it for iOS and Android. WM10 is a copy of iOS the buttons the styles the fly-out of the tiles aso. Cortana's stupid regional settings are infuriating. British Cortana sounds like a female Hawkins simulator combined with a depressed BBC presenter. The list is very long and mostly boring. Now my question to you all, who had either of the flagship models would you go and spend another ?4-500 or equivalent in any currency on a new Microsoft Mobile? Please put your hand on your heart and be honest. I will start by saying NO.

I have the Lumia 920 and 925 and really love Windows Phone 8.1, but no - I am joining you by saying I wouldn't buy another WP flagship. I honestly don't have interest in Windows 10 Mobile (I would probably give Windows 10 a chance on my laptop if it weren't 5 1/2 years old). I may get flak for saying this, but I'm planning on getting the iPhone 6S in September. However, I'm not completely leaving WP because I still adore the Nokia Lumia 925 and will be swapping the SIM (in a SIM adapter, of course) out on occasion to enjoy using it. I may get rid of my 920 and 810, but the 925 stays with me. The only negative about that phone is the storage. If it were 32GB, it would be perfect - but I'm definitely not upgrading it to Windows 10.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Of course! I love Microsoft and its products and Windows Phone is my favourite mobile OS. As long as Microsoft continues to develop and support Windows on mobile, I will buy phones running Windows.

Lagdroid is horrible, it lags too much, has a lot of security and performance issues and the UI and apps are too ugly. Plus, Google spies on whatever one does on his/her Lagdroid device. iCrap is too elitist, niche and overrated. I was a fan of Blackberry and its OS, but with the new Venice device running Lagdroid leaked, it is likely that that company may ditch its OS for that Lagdroid.

"Lagdroid," "iCrap," how very mature of you. -_-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire