Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
If you'd asked me last week, I'd have said no. However, went looking at phones at the weekend. Could Android phones be any more boring? Expensive too for anything with a decent screen.

At the moment, I'll stick with my Lumia 1020 (2nd replacement under warranty arrives tomorrow). If Windows 10 doesn't get any better, then I may go for the rumoured new Nexus 5, but put Cyanogen on it to stop the google spying.

Athanville

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
before i settled on a windows phone, i had had all manner of devices, had an iphone 4s, crappy expensive ****. Had BlackBerry had two actually, the only issue i had was not enough space for apps, loved the unlimited net, tried android and hated the inconsistency across devices, i will give it app selection but thats it, the experience is not the same from a HTC M8 to Sony Xperia Z2, so bought a 620, loved the fluidity on such humble specs, got a 925, better screen faster speeds, got a 640XL love the screen size and speed, then got the 930, that, mate is the best windows phone ever, so in answer to your question +950XL ( see what i did there? )

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Simple answer, yes. But 1st they need to release a new decent Microsoft phone which is better than my Lumia 930. Seems to be taken ages.

rab19xx

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I sent my 640 XL last week for yellow spot repairs and I bought a 540 while waiting for my 640 XL to be fixed. I'll definitely buy another Microsoft Mobile.

richard_rsp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In all honesty, I'm not sure if I would buy another Microsoft Phone, unless things change or it is as a backup phone. My primary reason? Support and updates. I have had several Lumias, and while it has mostly been acceptable, my last couple of experiences have not been the best. I was on VZW with a Lumia Icon and was waiting forever for Cyan; so I switched to AT&T and bought a Lumia 830. Then i started having some bluetooth issues and was waiting on a real version of Denim for it. It seems like nobody (Microsoft, Nokia, Verizon, or AT&T) wants to take responsibility for the lack of, or support these updates.

While the app gap is also a bit annoying, it's not a killer in my mind - I can deal with not having a banking app and I don't really play games. It's the features of the OS that actually attract me to Windows Phones (such as the car mode). I need my phone to primarily be reliable and do what it is supposed to do; that is where I feel the latest Windows Phones have failed me. For now, I will keep my 830, but it is only a backup phone.

bkbillma

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup, thinking the 640 most likely. If I move from WP anytime in the forseable future it would be for a non google android. OxygenOS, CyanogenOS, or FireOS would be top contenders.

Tim Speicher

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't buy one again either. I have my third WP now, used WP 7, 8 and 10 (even though I still have some hope for 10), but next time it'll be Android again.
I often feel that MS doesn't care about Windows Phone. It is like no one of the developers uses a WP or else they would have tripped over a lot of design errors. Some elemental things are missing.
Why can't I change the volume of the ringer, when bluetooth is on? I can only change the overall-volume or switch vibrate on/off.
In the dark theme, why is an open eMail still white?
Why can't I delete individual words from the dictionary?
Xbox-Music is a pice of junk. It's slow, frustrating and not logical.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a lot of things about the system. The overall design still is nice (even though ms destroys a lot of it with 10), mainly the handling is great, but if you want to go a bit deeper, you need something else. Yes, it is a very safe system, and Android has it's own bugs, but it still feels that Android evolves while WP is stuck in a midlife-crisis, trying to find itself.

koenshaku

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I started out with iPhone 2g, then 3g, 3gs Steve jobs craps on users with the iPhone 4 antenna issue so I skip it and upgrade to a Lumia 900 after the boring UI of iOS. I upgraded to a 920 then my currently owned 1020. I made the mistake of putting 10 preview on it and I was due for an upgrade so I switched to android for the first time with Cyanogen One Plus One handset. Just as fragmented and crappy as I thought it was, I have downloaded torrents and watched them from a very customizable OS I run a virus scan app and it feels like I am using a PC OS random lag even when typing all the MS apps are broken and it has been an inconsistent experience for me.

I Ordered an IPhone 6 with as a work phone and it works actually a little too well especially with the support from MS. I am seeing greater support than their own windows phone brand unfortunately, which gives me cause for concern about the faith MS has in their own platform.. If I switch it will be certainly to iPhone, but to answer the question to this forum YES! I will upgrade to a Lumia 950 this fall there has been no better experience for me on a cellphone in WP8.1 and their UI is by far the best experience I have had so far. I just hope developers see it as a viable platform and make more apps since windows 10 is catching on so quickly hopefully we see a trickle down effect!

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
My heart says yes, but my brain says I need to stop ignoring the problems. The app gap does matter. The Internet of things seems to be passing WP by. (And the sadly ironic part is that I noticed I got served an ad for Tile while I paged through this posting.) Plus, it doesn't even seem that clear that Microsoft themselves are any more on board with the future of their mobile effort. It will be hard to leave though, since WM is the only smart phone platform I have ever owned for myself. I owned a Samsung Focus, which I loved. Then I had an HTC 8x, which I also loved. And now I have the unfortunate experience that is the Lumia 830 (from AT&T).

A lot of uncertainty is going to have to clear up in the future to get me to stay.

uncle_maxim

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Even though my 1020 starts feeling literally outdated and being an overall fan of WinOS (big fan of vertical scrolling and black screen feature), I would be very cautious buying a 950.
I have been waiting for this phone for so long that I was almost ready to buy anything MS throws in, but now I am starting to doubt buying one and that's why:

Microsoft announced so many times over the last two years that I own the 1020 that they will expand the range of apps, but still there are no official Instagram or Snapchat apps and side apps do not work properly. For example, 6tag just won't appload videos even though I bought the full version, which is kind of strange given the popularity of those social networks.

It seems that Microsoft is okay with the way things go in that area, which is quite worrying for me personally. I do not want to invest 600+ dollars in what seems to be a device with quite a limited functionality. It was kind of okay for a two year-old device (especially comparing it to my brother's laggy HTC One), but buying a new device with such an uncompetitive software functionality on such a competitive market is just unreasonable.
I have seen no improvement with IE on Win8 and most certainly do not want to end up with another device that will not be able to adapt to most websites. Of course, you may suggest installing another browser, but most of them are truly crappier.

Also the design of the 950 is somwehat dubious. I understand that it will be rigid and stuff, but seeing what Motorola does stylewise with its Moto X Style or LG with the G4 or Meizu with its Mx4 (and I mean customizable back covers including leather and wood options), I think that I'll be left with no choice but to buy some plastic cover from and walk aroud with it like a puny iPhone owner. The latter though enjoy vast aftermarket opportunities while Lumia owners are stuck with crappy things from Ebay.

I may have put too much expectation in the flagship, and so far it seems that it will have lots of properly advanced hardware features, but unless Microsoft officially enables this whole .APK importing story, the device will be as useful as my 1020 is right now.

lunaticjim

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Most definitely. I am waiting for the Lumia 950xl with as much patience as I can muster. I have been using a Lumia 1520 as my main phone but recently found a very cheap 830 on kijiji so I picked that up to add some variety. I do use the 830 occasionally but find myself going back to the larger screen. I just love that phone. It truly is a beast. I'm hoping the 950xl is big enough to enable me to switch without feeling like I'm losing screen real estate. Unlike some people on this site, I actually liked the renders that were posted. Just wish we didnt have to sit through Apple and Google launch events before us Windows faithful get our Christmas!

Amano800

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'll be buying their phones if they release a proper 1520 successor. Currently I'm following rumours to see how the sony xperia ultra successor turns out.

I only use my phone for emails, to view pdfs, and web browsing. So I tend to want decent battery life and large screens. In this regard the 1520 has been a champion.

Hopefully MS has something in the pipeline that I'll like.

Knights2257

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
A couple months ago i would without any doubt have said yes. Since then Win10 has broken my phone (HTC One M8) twice, we've lost our banking app and Family Room disappeared. There's huge issues with Win10 working at all for me on most days. In addition the promised second screen use of Smartglass and compatability with the Xb1 is very underwhelming as far as games. I will give it one more shot probably simply because I am so tied into OneDrive and XBox, but the full release of Win10 for phone had better kick ****.

Let's add also that right now there are no coming Windows 10 phones that show any innovation or look absolutely top end. I want a 3d screen or side notifications or something cool. We need high end, can't miss phones not more budget models.

Jeff Shaffer

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I am waiting for my 920 to upgrade to Win10 to make a final decision. That said, 10 would have to come in leaps and bounds ahead of 8.1 to convince me to buy the next flagship (or any other WinMobile) device. From what I'm hearing and have seen, the next version of the OS will not correct the myriad of shortfalls in Windows Phones, and with Android and iOS continuing to improve way ahead of Windows, I anticipate that Microsoft will just fall further and further behind.

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that while there have a been a "myriad of shortfalls" in WP, they effort has been concentrated on getting Windows to a common kernel. Once that is done and WP is officially out for the general public, I expect that the focus will shift to actually improving the product.

This is no different than any other kind of software endeavor. The current versions of Quickbooks Enterpise (15) still has some shortcomings and bugs. But they likely will not address those directly for 15 as focus shifts to version 16, which is slated to be released at the end of this month.. The issues will be fixed, but not for sunsetting products. This will be something to keep in mind for those that do not want to move form 8.1 to 10. It's your choice, but don't be surprised when your complaints on 8.1 fall on largely deaf ears.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb