Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I will definitely get one.

I am currently using iPhone 6 as my daily driver since it has all the apps for my work. I also travel for work and I cannot function without my mobile boarding card (AA), my coffee app (DD, Starbucks), my mobile banking (BoA), Yahoo FantasyFootball, and lately the fingerprint scanner to unlock my alpha-numeric PW and most of my apps. I hope, WP will get back these apps.

I have to say that I run Outlook, OneDrive, OneNote, Grove on a daily basis. I back up my stuff to OneDrive.

I also have a Nokia 1520 that runs a Windows 10 insider build on a second phone number. To be honest, the 1520 size a little too big for me.

Personally, I love WP OS and how it integrates with the stuff that it works with.

qbrick

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the Lumia 640 as a backup phone for my Lumia 830 which has to go to repair (get the detaching glass and the four bright spots on the display fixed).

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes indeed! Currently using a 640 and a 735. I also own an iphone 5c and an LG G3 so I am in a place to experience the different OS's as they exist today. The LG is a lovely piece of hardware but I just cannot warm to android. It's the design or rather lack of a unifying theme. I like iOS a little better but the lack of customization is probably why I find that it bores me after a while. I love the look and functionality of the Windows interface as it currently stands on 8.1. Not too sure about W10 yet (have the latest build) on my 735. The 640 is a cracking phone for the money (I paid ?99 or mine) and I find I use it 80% of the time (at least). I will be looking at picking up one of the new big boys when they are released. Cant wait!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
before i settled on a windows phone, i had had all manner of devices, had an iphone 4s, crappy expensive ****. Had BlackBerry had two actually, the only issue i had was not enough space for apps, loved the unlimited net, tried android and hated the inconsistency across devices, i will give it app selection but thats it, the experience is not the same from a HTC M8 to Sony Xperia Z2, so bought a 620, loved the fluidity on such humble specs, got a 925, better screen faster speeds, got a 640XL love the screen size and speed, then got the 930, that, mate is the best windows phone ever, so in answer to your question +950XL ( see what i did there? )

It seems the 930 is a bit of a rock star around here.

Atticuscr

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes I would! (but this is the last chance)
I'm waiting for the high end phones with continuum.
If they fail to deliver with this last wave with windows 10 then I'd move to another platform.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
would say highly likely that I will get the 950XL if it comes to ATT. If not then the Surface Phone Juggernaut Alpha if it comes to ATT. If not then maybe I'll get my first Android device. Not going for iPhone.

jkhill74

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I stayed with my 920 as long as I could. I couldn't wait till the 950 so I bought outright a 640XL and I'm loving it. In all likelihood I'll buy a 950XL when it is released. I've never been impressed with Android. I've had an iPhone in the past and liked it but to me Windows 7, 8.1 mobile is that much better. I'm looking forward to 10. I think Satya Nadella has a vision for Microsoft's future and he will see it through.

sketchedout

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I have always wavered between Windows Phone and Android. I've always loved the UI of Windows Phone but have to say mainly the initial homescreen with live tiles. Beyond that I've never been keen on the UI although I note it's beginning to get subtly better in Windows 10. I started off with Lumia 800 coming over from HTC Desire HD but gave up on it after horrific battery issues. Went back to the first Galaxy Note but when the Lumia 920 came out with what still is a great camera I went straight for it. However, I was unlucky and had 3 bad handsets with proximity sensor issues so got it exchanged for Sony Xperia Z. But then the Lumia 925 came out the blue, what a design that was and I was straight back on it. But oh my God they then went and released the Lumia 1520, yeah you guessed it I caved in. Then I had a really good upgrade offer and stupidly went with the LG G3 instead of Lumia 930. LG G3 has great reviews but just didn't do it for me but was able to straight exchange it for Lumia 930. Really like the 930 but had annoying proximity issues like the 920 which I ended up fixing myself by having to glue the top corner to stop the screen lift. I've been running the Windows 10 Preview on it pretty flawlessly and I like where it's going. I still can't get why they can't make a great looking app store though. But I have decided to go back to Android for the time being and have gone with the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. It's not for everyone but it is an extremely well built phone and an incredibly quick camera which so far I have found to be superb. Microsoft have done a great job of providing their services on Android too and it would not surprise me if some of the more desirable aspects yet to come like Xbox One streaming come over too at some point. I mean why wouldn't they want people to be able to play Xbox on any device like they are doing with other services. I decided to go for this as I still think that even when Windows 10 flagship phones launch it is still going to be a transition period for some time to come. Also although I'm not a massive app user there are still key utility, finance and holiday apps that are not available that just make day to day life that bit easier. A recent example too is the BB8 Sphero Star Wars toy. Yes they've mentioned they are working on an app for that but it will be one of the hit toys this year and there is no mention of it on the box at all, just the usual IOS and Google Play Store. Project Astoria may help in all this of course but it remains to be seen how this actually pans out. I've no doubt that I will be really interested in how the next batch of phones turn out but those latest likely designs don't exactly scream flagship to me. Yes a phone can look great and run like crap but is it so difficult to have both. I always felt the 925 was a superb design, I remember at the time thinking imagine if they just bumped this to a 5" full HD amoled. Samsung are not too far wrong with their slogan Next is Now.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Donna Gorman1

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Love my 640XL. I won't change it until necessary.

I had a 920 and loved it, but the larger screen for the 640XL along with Win10 Mobile preview will keep me from getting any other model too soon.

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I?m a bit hard on phones and I?m on my 5th Windows Phone, the 640 XL and I had the 1520 previously and I wasn?t overly impressed the 1520 and I'm even less so with the 640 XL. I?ve held on for so long thinking there might be another flagship device like the 1020 but I?m getting resigned to the fact that Microsoft is not really into flagships and surprisingly doesn?t understand the importance of them for driving mindshare if not sales.

I?ll never get involved in the spyware morass that Android is and I dread the thought of having to use iTunes but unless I?m pleasantly surprised by what Microsoft delivers in the high end in Oct/Nov (if any) ,then I?ll hold my nose and get an iPhone next. At least I know there will always be a top notch flagship to buy with iOS.

Keith Vogt

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely I'll get a new Win phone! iPhone and join the lemmings? Never! Android? Really? I joined the MS parade in the 90s and I'm sticking with them. I'm ready for an upgrade and will go with one of the new ones coming in the Fall.
K...

76132texas

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Probably. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and hard place because of the money I have put in the Mircrosoft ecosystem, but I could say the same about IOS and android. Microsoft must improve the web browsing and online video experience better and vastly improve the quality of apps it offers. Third party apps are fine with me provided the quality is good. Sadly, that is hardly ever the case. I' had an iPhone and loved it but traded it in for the 1020 because Apple does not play nice with other devices even if you use the same user ID. Having said that, I have three iPods and will get the 128gb model because there is nothing on the market that comes close to it. My luck with android was not so good. My Samsung phone was prone to frequent crashing and freezing, as were my 1st and 2ng gen Nexus 6 tablets and my now- recalled Nvida Shield. I'm done with android and will give the replacement Shield to my brother when it arrives and replace it with the Surface if there is improvement with the quality of apps or grudgingly go back to Apple and get the iPad mini

Jay Everyday

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the fence, like op said, I feel like this has been one long beta and they can't figure out what they want! While I'm not a big app gotta have it guy, I feel the sting when fallout's game didn't make our platform, it could've been on win 10 and mobile. Leaning toward android for the openess of it, but I love the live tiles and overall feel of win 10 mobile. What's killin it for me is the F'd up revision of zune music to xbox music, to music to groove music that all pale in comparison to zune.

JoeRod1953

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes. I'm a very happy Lumia 640 XL user. I come from the Android experience and have no regrets. Windows 8.1 on my phone is great, it get's the job done. This phone cost me like $220 US Dollars in Mexico, and shied away from spending more money on a Moto X. And that's all I have to say about the Windows Phone. Thank you.

vishnu kadiyala

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
No and Yes ,
Because of we are asking (most of indians) only one small app of automatic call recorder , why Microsoft neglecting this ? what wrong with Microsoft.
Microsoft OS is mansion. I am really waiting for this becoz i hate android , i love too much of lumia.
I suggested lot of people since 2013 to 2015 prefer to buy the mobile is lumia only.
in india most of people need automatic call recorder must. plz develop the app ASAP.

Robert Roger

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
You are little bit na?ve with your statement about android being spy...... Microsoft is also spy but they are not openly admitting it as android or Google.
I’m a bit hard on phones and I’m on my 5th Windows Phone, the 640 XL and I had the 1520 previously and I wasn’t overly impressed the 1520 and I'm even less so with the 640 XL. I’ve held on for so long thinking there might be another flagship device like the 1020 but I’m getting resigned to the fact that Microsoft is not really into flagships and surprisingly doesn’t understand the importance of them for driving mindshare if not sales.

I’ll never get involved in the spyware morass that Android is and I dread the thought of having to use iTunes but unless I’m pleasantly surprised by what Microsoft delivers in the high end in Oct/Nov (if any) ,then I’ll hold my nose and get an iPhone next. At least I know there will always be a top notch flagship to buy with iOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99