02-08-2017 03:20 AM
1,280 ... 3334353637 ...
tools
    I'm swiching and leaving WP. I cannot take a company (Microsoft) that cannot even support a flagship phone. I hate to do it, but I must. Goodbye WindowsPhone!!!
    jasongw likes this.
    09-15-2015 07:26 AM
    ..... MS prioritizing other platforms instead of their own...
    Does it not occur to people that Microsoft will not continue to upgrade and develop Windows Phone 8.1 apps when they know the Windows 10 universal apps will be replacing them in a couple of months anyway?

I'm not sure, and haven't been for some time about my next mobile platform, I can't find an alternative that fits for me better than Windows Phone which is why I've been putting off my upgrade for 10 months now. If a replacement for the 1020 came out, I'd be all over it, but that sounds like it will be next year if at all. I'll probably sit and wait until May then make a decision. I don't think I can bring myself to a mobile platform that has only just discovered upper and lower case keyboards mind...
    09-15-2015 07:42 AM
    already buyed a microsoft lumia 435 last week, so, the answer is yes
    09-15-2015 08:11 AM
    I had Windows Mobile 6.5, Zune, Windows Phone 7(HTC Surround), Windows Phone 7(Lumia 900), Windows Phone 8(Lumia 920), Windows Phone 8-8.1(Lumia Icon) and I would buy another Windows Mobile if the specs are more impressive than the 950xl. I adore the Windows Mobile UI, but releasing a Phone later in the year with less impressive specs than Android phones which have been out for months is a boneheaded thing to do. I hear people who say you don't need as much power because Windows Mobile is so efficient. Frankly, I'm tired of people making power and lack of app excuses for Microsoft. They need to smash it out of the park or they will continue to fade and fail eventually.
    09-15-2015 08:22 AM
    To be honest, i like Microsoft ekosystem, as i use primarelly Microsoft services, not Google services, not Apple services. Thats more or less main reason of usage Windows Phone. On the other hand new Microsoft strategy is to make all Microsoft services available also on other platforms, therefore now it looks like the best solution is iPhone (i really think its good product). Perfect device, iOS is good, best availability of applications and finally all Microsoft servicess are there now as well. I am still on side on Microsoft WP as a geek and fan of Microsoft. But to keep eyes open, best combination from my point of view is not WP device, but iOS device + Microsoft services on it. best valuable combination i guess. And what is important, its available NOW. All Microsoft visions are really nice, i love it, but its not available yet and question is , when it will be.
    jaimeastin, libra89 and Rick2340 like this.
    09-15-2015 09:01 AM
    To be honest, i like Microsoft ekosystem, as i use primarelly Microsoft services, not Google services, not Apple services. Thats more or less main reason of usage Windows Phone. On the other hand new Microsoft strategy is to make all Microsoft services available also on other platforms, therefore now it looks like the best solution is iPhone (i really think its good product). Perfect device, iOS is good, best availability of applications and finally all Microsoft servicess are there now as well. I am still on side on Microsoft WP as a geek and fan of Microsoft. But to keep eyes open, best combination from my point of view is not WP device, but iOS device + Microsoft services on it. best valuable combination i guess. And what is important, its available NOW. All Microsoft visions are really nice, i love it, but its not available yet and question is , when it will be.
    Rational post. That's how I feel, but I am not missing anything now... I am happy
    09-15-2015 09:34 AM
    I'm torn between moving over to iOS or staying, at the moment I'm thinking more the former.

Reasons. Pretty much what a lot have said, I love Windows Phone but the lack of apps and support from connected devices is frustrating. Cars that come with apps for iOS/Android and music systems that integrate well with these but not Windows Phone, Sky Go, Sonos, Strava and many other apps that aren't available. Now that the rest of my ecosystem is available on iOS (Onedrive, Office365 etc) I've less need to stay.

May wait until next month, but then again I suspect the announcement will be 950/950XL but not on sale until end November. More waiting. I have a work Windows Phone so can stay tuned into the platform and may come back if Windows 10 gets MS attention to drive it on.
    09-15-2015 10:42 AM
    As my secondary (work) phone I would, but not my daily driver. My primary device is an iPhone 6+ while I also sport a Lumia 640 for work (emails, SMS, Office, etc.) The lack of functional apps (outisde of the core) are depressing. I really hope this changes with Windows 10, but I will wait and see after release.
    JoyfullJuneBug likes this.
    09-15-2015 11:00 AM
    As my secondary (work) phone I would, but not my daily driver. My primary device is an iPhone 6+ while I also sport a Lumia 640 for work (emails, SMS, Office, etc.) The lack of functional apps (outside of the core) are depressing. I really hope this changes with Windows 10, but I will wait and see after release.
    09-15-2015 11:00 AM
    Now that Microsoft services are available on both iOS and Android, pretty much *any* smartphone can become, as the OP put it, a 'Microsoft Mobile'.

It really does make Windows Mobile somewhat irrelevant, unless you're really in love with the Continuum feature, or you work for Microsoft and want to impress the boss that you're eating your own dog food, so to speak.
    09-15-2015 11:25 AM
    Well I look at it .like this With the programs that will allow porting of iOS and Google apps I may not need to worry about changing to an iPhone or an android device.
    09-15-2015 11:42 AM
    Absolutely!! I was a user of the early Windows phone version 6.. I switched to Andriod because the early Windows phones would become unusable after a year, whether due to upgrades or apps or?? But my 2 or 3 Andriod Phones did the same thing, had to be a industry conspiracy to force you to buy a new device!! But my last phone was an ICON, I've had it over a year and am quite happy with it, sure, it's not perfect, I have connectivity issues every now and then with wi-fi or blutooth, but have had no performance issues. yes, I have been frustrated with the lack of main stream app support, but hopefully if MS ever gets their act together with mobile devices, their popularity will increase enough to get the same support as Apple and Andriod. Frankly the Windows phone is better than any of the other offerings. I'm keeping a close eye on the next flagship phones, and though I have no issues with mine, I may upgrade, besides, since Verizon dropped the Icon early, they may not offer a windows 10 upgrade, wish Microsoft would do the updates like Apple, that is the only downside I have.
    09-15-2015 12:10 PM
    Now that Microsoft services are available on both iOS and Android, pretty much *any* smartphone can become, as the OP put it, a 'Microsoft Mobile'.

It really does make Windows Mobile somewhat irrelevant, unless you're really in love with the Continuum feature, or you work for Microsoft and want to impress the boss that you're eating your own dog food, so to speak.
    Or that whole UI thing... Lol. Kind of a big reason. Maybe Preview cameras? I dunno, just guessing. :p

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    09-15-2015 12:34 PM
    I am still using windows 7.5 with Samsung Focus. Will get new WP this thanksgiving.
    09-15-2015 12:44 PM
    100% most definitely yes! I had the Lumia 800, now I have the Lumia 925 and the next one will be a Lumia 950 if everything goes well. Otherwise it might be the Lumia 830 or maybe 850...
    09-15-2015 02:10 PM
    No..I kidded myself that I didn't need many apps. I love the phone. Constant annoyance that new services that I come across..blinkist for example dont look at windows phone as viable enough to develop for. Cortana has also been less than useful so far.
    09-15-2015 02:33 PM
    Yes.

I love the tiles interface too much to switch. Of course, I don't use that many apps and I find the integration with Google sufficient via their own mail and calendar clients. I had to switch a few months ago to drive Uber (no partner app on MS Mobile) and hated both Android and iOS so much I switched back to Windows and actually remove the sim card from my Nokia and insert it into an old Samsung GS3 when I need to drive. My wife, who drives a lot more than me really wants to switch back as soon as Windows 10 mobile comes out. Plus, I use a Lumia 1530, which is a phenomenal device and can't imagine switching to something else at this point.

Oh, and give Cortana more use; I'm now using it extensively and it's amazing.
    09-15-2015 02:54 PM
    Based on the trainwreck that is Windows 10 Mobile, I'm gonna say no. Currently I'm using a Lumia 640, which is a competent, if lackluster, phone. I love the Windows Phone 8.1 UI and feel 10 abandons its core principles in favor of a clunkier, less usable UI that's trying too hard to appeal to IOS and Android users.

There's a good chance I'll switch back to iPhone.
    09-15-2015 04:22 PM
    I think I would like to, since I use pretty much only Microsoft services and much prefer the overall UI of Windows to Android or iOS, but the only thing that's making me question this is the recent announcement of Pokemon Go (I know, I'm a dork). If by some chance, they make a Windows version of the game, then I'll stick with Windows Mobile. But if not, and the side-loading option for Android apps doesn't work, then I think I'll have to suck it up and jump over to Android. Pokemon is one of the things I love more than Windows Mobile, and probably the only thing that could make me leave this OS.
    09-15-2015 05:01 PM
    I love my Lumia 1020 because it solves a problem for me that no other phone does - Excellent photos combined with a smartphone, for sharing/storing the photos and allowing me to carry one device instead of two (camera and phone). However, the 1020 has been relegated to vacation and weekend status...the app gap is annoying enough that I prefer my Xperia Z3 Compact during the week. Small things like coffee apps, NJ Transit ticket app, Waze that allows me to share my drive with my wife, tap to pay...thie list goes on. Each one by itself has a workaround. together...it's just easier to carry an android phone.

Until I see that awesome scene and I want a great picture, and I wish I had my damn 1020.
    09-15-2015 05:04 PM
    Nope, until the apps collection is as good as iOS and Android. Love WP OS but it's the apps that is disappointing.
    09-15-2015 05:14 PM
    100% YES. All of the arguments against it are extremely shallow. I love the interface and the look and fell as well as the eco-system. Not having banking apps? Snapchat? gimme a break If you're making decisions based on apps like that you are doing yourselves a disservice. I can very easily access Chase, along with all of my Ccards via the web so that is a complete non-starter. I've had my Lumia Icon for just over a year and the new options for purchasing direct so as to get around Verizon and their bias against WP I see no reason or any pressure to move to another platform. I use an iPhone 5 daily for work (SO BACKWARDS) and if I didn't have to I would never use it again.
    09-15-2015 06:03 PM
    I share your anger and disappointment at Microsoft's complete incompetence when it comes to figuring out how to market an OS, but claiming Android is superior is just silly. It has more apps, but that's about it. It sports an old fashioned UI paradigm, and except on high end hardware, its performance is miserable.

That said, I'd at this moment sooner buy a (high end) Android device than a Windows Phone device. Having played with the betas a bit, my impression of Windows 10 mobile is that it's a trainwreck. It's trying WAY too hard to be an Android/iOS knockoff.
    09-15-2015 06:17 PM
    Pureview cameras were an advantage that Microsoft squandered. Any high end phone has caught up and now delivers optical image stabilization, low light capabilities and a wider color gamut. If you need a better camera than what comes in an iPhone or Galaxy, odds are good what you're looking for is a DSLR, not a phone. There isn't a smartphone on this planet that can compare with the quality of a good DSLR.

And while I agree with the UI argument, Windows Phone 10 is working hard at nullifying it by delivering a mediocre, watered-down experience that strips much of the UI of its best features in favor of a cheap Android/iOS knockoff look. No. Thank. You.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-15-2015 06:25 PM
    Actually, the arguments YOU are making are the shallow ones. Having access to apps and services on the go is the ENTIRE ******* POINT of having a smartphone. If it doesn't support these things and do it well, it's useless. And while yes, you can access Chase and a few other banking sites via the website, the experience is far from optimal, often being characterized by bad loading times, unresponsive links, etc. To boot, you get no notifications, no easy access to quickly send or transfer money with others, etc.

No, apps aren't everything, but the very fact that you admit to having to use an iPhone *at all* proves that there is a problem that remains unsolved YEARS after it should have been, and that's 100% Microsoft's fault.
    09-15-2015 06:30 PM
1,280 ... 3334353637 ...