02-08-2017 03:20 AM
1,280 ... 4041424344 ...
tools
    I think Intel x series is way better then old atom series, from what I've seen on tablets only, Intel running much smoother then others. also i believe
    a smartphone with intel, will run a full windows 10 version, so i will be able to run any desktop apps as well.
    Yeah I mean just plug it to a monitor running the full version of windows 10 would and the ability to go would be nice but idk I dont think the technology is there yet but lol who knows what Microsoft and Intel have hidden and will show us next year but how it stands now idk maybe I just haven't seen enough but doesn't seem ready or close to ready but I do hope they blow me away with something.
    10-01-2015 11:01 AM
    Yeah I mean just plug it to a monitor running the full version of windows 10 would and the ability to go would be nice but idk I dont think the technology is there yet but lol who knows what Microsoft and Intel have hidden and will show us next year but how it stands now idk maybe I just haven't seen enough but doesn't seem ready or close to ready but I do hope they blow me away with something.
    I hope both companies have hidden some huge surprises for us. As you saying: will just wait and see.
    ByeVanno likes this.
    10-01-2015 11:23 AM
    My answer is YES! I got my 928 right after release. I had 3 Thunderbolts and 3 of the next model. They all were buggy or worse. Lately my 928 has been having some issues and I had to be proactive about having a working phone. Since the big V currently only has the 735 and no indication of getting the 950's, I got another 928 from Newegg. I'm setting it up today and already put Dev preview 8.1 on it. I know there's not much love for windows phones, but I don't like android or ifruits. FYI:I'm no fanboy, hell, I'm 60!
    10-18-2015 02:27 PM
    Nope, until the apps collection is as good as iOS and Android. Love WP OS but it's the apps that is disappointing.
    Yeah if we don't get apps in 2016 I'll be moving on to IOS or Android 2017 lets hope it's a good year for apps =)
    prasath1234 likes this.
    10-19-2015 11:36 AM
    LONG LONG time Windows "Mobile" User since PocketPC. I had to make the painful and tough move to Android this past week when it looked hopeless for Lumia on Verizon and currently adjusting to a Note 5. I have to say, this phone is a beast. And works rather well with the Microsoft Ecosystem and Cortana, believe it or not. And yes, the APPS do matter. Once you feel "warm and fuzzy" that you can now get that app you've been lacking, it is hard to go back. Believe me, no one wants WP to succeed more than myself but the time is now for a change. I do prefer having it all in the Windows Ecosystem and love Live Tiles and the OS. If things improve, I WILL be back. Especially if I can get a 950xl.
    10-23-2015 03:23 PM
    LONG LONG time Windows "Mobile" User since PocketPC. I had to make the painful and tough move to Android this past week when it looked hopeless for Lumia on Verizon and currently adjusting to a Note 5. I have to say, this phone is a beast. And works rather well with the Microsoft Ecosystem and Cortana, believe it or not. And yes, the APPS do matter. Once you feel "warm and fuzzy" that you can now get that app you've been lacking, it is hard to go back. Believe me, no one wants WP to succeed more than myself but the time is now for a change. I do prefer having it all in the Windows Ecosystem and love Live Tiles and the OS. If things improve, I WILL be back. Especially if I can get a 950xl.
    Read this dude's post Microsoft. It's the same set of reasons why I would be likely to leave WP this holiday season. I'm waiting for reviews of 950XL, but I'm looking quite hard at Android (LG V10, Moto X Pure, Nexus 6P and Edge Plus). You've never had a prob with hardware. Despite what I consider a superior UI, it's the lack of software that continues to make this a decision difficult.
    Vyenkatesh and prasath1234 like this.
    10-24-2015 10:50 PM
    I'll probably never buy a MS mobile phone. MS just missed the boat, and to make matters worse there are some awesome wearables like the new Moto 360 that work on Android and iOS, but not WP. I'd probably buy a WP if there was a nice wearable, just to try it out.
    10-24-2015 11:39 PM
    Most probably I will not buy Microsoft Mobile phone again, after worst support experience of my life. Received replacement phone after 60 days and that too carrier locked. Whatever could be the reason, Microsoft is slow and in dilemma. At least I feel. Microsoft may release statements about bright future, Universal OS but if there is no response to Windows Mobile OS then what's the use of Universal OS.
    Last edited by Vyenkatesh; 10-25-2015 at 01:44 AM.
    10-24-2015 11:54 PM
    The only use for the Universal OS is to get developers seriously interested in the platform. I've been playing around with the Cortana API and it's fabulous. Cortana might sway me, but I still need a nice looking wearable to use it with. The MS Band thing is ugly.
    10-24-2015 11:57 PM
    So, I'm in a similar boat to garak0410. Long time supporter, love certain things about the OS and Microsoft's approach to the OS conceptually, but I just placed an order for a Note 5 on Verizon after using a Lumia 928 for 30 months.

I know that, with Android, I'm getting a mobile-focused OS that just continues to improve. I know that I'm not going to be disappointed by Google's inability to execute, or their rebooting the OS. I know that I won't have to worry about apps. I know that I won't be left without your services that work well and I still use.

Most importantly, I know that all of this exists today. I know that I can buy the Note 5, and it will be at my door on Wednesday. I still would have given this certainty up for the promise of greatness from W10 Mobile and the 950 XL (great hardware btw), but you're again behind schedule on both counts. You're not communicating effectively. You're just not making it easy to be a fan.

What else did you expect me to do?
    Vyenkatesh likes this.
    10-25-2015 03:55 AM
    So, I'm in a similar boat to garak0410. Long time supporter, love certain things about the OS and Microsoft's approach to the OS conceptually, but I just placed an order for a Note 5 on Verizon after using a Lumia 928 for 30 months.

I know that, with Android, I'm getting a mobile-focused OS that just continues to improve. I know that I'm not going to be disappointed by Google's inability to execute, or their rebooting the OS. I know that I won't have to worry about apps. I know that I won't be left without your services that work well and I still use.

Most importantly, I know that all of this exists today. I know that I can buy the Note 5, and it will be at my door on Wednesday. I still would have given this certainty up for the promise of greatness from W10 Mobile and the 950 XL (great hardware btw), but you're again behind schedule on both counts. You're not communicating effectively. You're just not making it easy to be a fan.

What else did you expect me to do?
    I hear ya. And as mentioned, the Microsoft ecosystem works rather well on Android. Outlook is a great client but it doesn't sync contacts/calendar into the Android OS... You still get calendar reminders and Cortana will SHOW you(but not TELL you) your upcoming schedule. For SMS, you simply must export your contacts into GMAIL and then from then on out, use GMAIL for contacts. And yes, Cortana is almost as close as it was on WP...was surprised. She just doesn't say what is on your agenda if you ASK her.

I do have to say I've encountered "Android Quirks" already... one time, the camera wouldn't record video... had an error and had to reboot. And the mic stopped working on voice to text and come to find out, it was Hey Cortana messing that up. Turned it off and it worked. Not that a WP didn't have quirks but it rarely had them. But on a whole and outside the way the OS works, OMG, the Note 5 does a lot. So much in fact, that I've had to pick up my Surface Pro 3 less and less. But don't get me wrong, I'll always have my Surface and PC. I just find mobile so much easier (at the moment) with the Note 5.

I do vacillate between toughing it out with my ICON until the dust settles or being in the NOW with the Note 5, even if the OS is less than elegant. I will gladly live with the less apps if I can use a 950xl on Verizon.
    Penny_1 likes this.
    10-25-2015 07:53 AM
    I hear ya. And as mentioned, the Microsoft ecosystem works rather well on Android. Outlook is a great client but it doesn't sync contacts/calendar into the Android OS... You still get calendar reminders and Cortana will SHOW you(but not TELL you) your upcoming schedule. For SMS, you simply must export your contacts into GMAIL and then from then on out, use GMAIL for contacts. And yes, Cortana is almost as close as it was on WP...was surprised. She just doesn't say what is on your agenda if you ASK her.

I do have to say I've encountered "Android Quirks" already... one time, the camera wouldn't record video... had an error and had to reboot. And the mic stopped working on voice to text and come to find out, it was Hey Cortana messing that up. Turned it off and it worked. Not that a WP didn't have quirks but it rarely had them. But on a whole and outside the way the OS works, OMG, the Note 5 does a lot. So much in fact, that I've had to pick up my Surface Pro 3 less and less. But don't get me wrong, I'll always have my Surface and PC. I just find mobile so much easier (at the moment) with the Note 5.

I do vacillate between toughing it out with my ICON until the dust settles or being in the NOW with the Note 5, even if the OS is less than elegant. I will gladly live with the less apps if I can use a 950xl on Verizon.
    Yeah. I mean don't get my wrong, I'm not exactly jumping ship here; I just don't have a lot of choices. If the 950XL were available on Verizon, I'd have bought that in a heartbeat instead. But I'm well overdue for an upgrade, and I just want Microsoft to understand that they are at times making it hard for dedicated fans. You expect users not committed to the platform or on the fence to frequently choose competing platforms, but to drive away your loyal fans...

And I still like the Windows Mobile OS more than Android. I've played with the Note 4 enough to know what I'm getting into, and I feel like Microsoft has more little OS level features that improve usability. W10 Mobile is also a nicer looking OS in my opinion. Android looks a little too colorful/cartoonish, and is a little bit more boring for my tastes. My brother's Note 4 does have quirks sometimes and he has to reboot to fix them. My dad's 2013 Moto X runs flawlessly though, so it has more to do with Samsung's implementation than Android itself.

That is part of the deal with Android still, but the situation is a lot better than it used to be. And it's continuing to improve, with Android nearing iOS levels of polish. The Note 5's camera is also so good that you can't really call the camera much of a differentiating factor for the average user, though the 950XL with its very intelligent software probably still takes the number 1 spot. And I will absolutely enjoy that stylus I believe, as I have actual uses for it.

So I wait Microsoft. I'll watch and see how your OS is doing, looking for a time to eventually return. However, for now, you've driven me away and there is no remedying that.
    10-25-2015 12:06 PM
    Yeah. I mean don't get my wrong, I'm not exactly jumping ship here; I just don't have a lot of choices. If the 950XL were available on Verizon, I'd have bought that in a heartbeat instead. But I'm well overdue for an upgrade, and I just want Microsoft to understand that they are at times making it hard for dedicated fans. You expect users not committed to the platform or on the fence to frequently choose competing platforms, but to drive away your loyal fans...

And I still like the Windows Mobile OS more than Android. I've played with the Note 4 enough to know what I'm getting into, and I feel like Microsoft has more little OS level features that improve usability. W10 Mobile is also a nicer looking OS in my opinion. Android looks a little too colorful/cartoonish, and is a little bit more boring for my tastes. My brother's Note 4 does have quirks sometimes and he has to reboot to fix them. My dad's 2013 Moto X runs flawlessly though, so it has more to do with Samsung's implementation than Android itself.

That is part of the deal with Android still, but the situation is a lot better than it used to be. And it's continuing to improve, with Android nearing iOS levels of polish. The Note 5's camera is also so good that you can't really call the camera much of a differentiating factor for the average user, though the 950XL with its very intelligent software probably still takes the number 1 spot. And I will absolutely enjoy that stylus I believe, as I have actual uses for it.

So I wait Microsoft. I'll watch and see how your OS is doing, looking for a time to eventually return. However, for now, you've driven me away and there is no remedying that.
    I do have choices...I can still use my ICON for a while. But having extra apps, especially ones for work and 1 or 2 that friends/family want me to be on, well, it has been hard to go back to it. I can't decide which camera is better... the ICON or Note 5. I did take this nice one on my Note 5 of raindrops on a leaf and it impresses:

20151024_163239.jpg
    antiochian2010 likes this.
    10-25-2015 04:10 PM
    I really like my Icon and Windows phone, but it keeps getting harder to find a really good reason to stick around with a troubled ecosystem. There are apps I want that are available on Android and iOS, but not for WP. I see articles about the app situation getting worse: Microsoft's apps are evaporating. The releases of Windows 10 mobile so far have been buggy. With less than 3% of the market, MS has been shrinking its phone division and is putting the new flagship phones only on AT&T for the foreseeable future. It feels more and more as if I'm riding on a sinking ship when there are pretty cool options out there.
    10-25-2015 10:55 PM
    I really like my Icon and Windows phone, but it keeps getting harder to find a really good reason to stick around with a troubled ecosystem. There are apps I want that are available on Android and iOS, but not for WP. I see articles about the app situation getting worse: Microsoft's apps are evaporating. The releases of Windows 10 mobile so far have been buggy. With less than 3% of the market, MS has been shrinking its phone division and is putting the new flagship phones only on AT&T for the foreseeable future. It feels more and more as if I'm riding on a sinking ship when there are pretty cool options out there.
    Yeah, there have been a lot of doom and gloom Windows Phone articles in the last week alone. Not sure is this is the moment where we says "it's gonna get worse before it gets better."

And I agonize over using Note 5 vs. ICON. If Groove music was on par on Android, this wouldn't be a hard decision. I'd stick it out with the Note 5. But the more I uae Groove on Android, the more half-baked it feels and how it reminds me of the early days of XBOX music.

If it is announced this week the 950xl would indeed work on Verizon, I'd be pre ordering it right away. I want that camera. !!!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-26-2015 05:39 AM
    The 950s have no appeal to me; plus, still app gap, no tap to pay. If no Surface Phone next Spring, I will happily connect my Band 2 to an iPhone
    10-26-2015 05:40 AM
    After patiently waiting with my Lumia 920, which I loved by the way, for 2 1/2 years, I have been left sadly underwhelmed by the 950's. Actually, I liked the 950XL that I had the chance to try out in the MS store. It's not so much the hardware, as it is that the OS is still , IMO, half-baked and each release seems to bring different bugs while only fixing a few existing bugs. Still not enough OEM apps, with more leaving each day, and I am also afraid that with the recent decline in market share and sales of Win mobile, that MS is just going to throw in the towel, leaving me with a lame duck phone if I do buy one. So, no....no more Windows Phones for me. Ordered an iPhone 6S Plus on Saturday. If, and it's a big IF, down the road something good happens, say the mythical Surface Phone, then I would consider coming back, but for now...I have had enough, and I'm out.
    10-26-2015 06:51 AM
    After patiently waiting with my Lumia 920, which I loved by the way, for 2 1/2 years, I have been left sadly underwhelmed by the 950's. Actually, I liked the 950XL that I had the chance to try out in the MS store. It's not so much the hardware, as it is that the OS is still , IMO, half-baked and each release seems to bring different bugs while only fixing a few existing bugs. Still not enough OEM apps, with more leaving each day, and I am also afraid that with the recent decline in market share and sales of Win mobile, that MS is just going to throw in the towel, leaving me with a lame duck phone if I do buy one. So, no....no more Windows Phones for me. Ordered an iPhone 6S Plus on Saturday. If, and it's a big IF, down the road something good happens, say the mythical Surface Phone, then I would consider coming back, but for now...I have had enough, and I'm out.
    I have an iPad Mini for work for just supporting our iOS users. Groove is BETTER on iOS for sure. The Android version has no jump lists, no music scrubbing / forward/reverse, Bluetooth is wonky, songs cut out when in bad cells (when cloud based.) The Note 5 seems closer to a Surface Phone, mainly due to stylus support (OneNote works great)...these are confusing and agonizing times for Windows Phone fans...
    mikepalma likes this.
    10-26-2015 07:46 AM
    Thanks for your activity and responses in this thread garak0410. I'm sure some people are finding your experiences and the comparisons between the platforms helpful in making their decisions.

I get my Note 5 on Wednesday, and look forward to playing around with it. I know there are definitely things I will be missing about WP, but it will be good to experience another platform as my daily driver for a while.
    10-26-2015 02:04 PM
    Thanks for your activity and responses in this thread garak0410. I'm sure some people are finding your experiences and the comparisons between the platforms helpful in making their decisions.

I get my Note 5 on Wednesday, and look forward to playing around with it. I know there are definitely things I will be missing about WP, but it will be good to experience another platform as my daily driver for a while.
    I am for sure remaining positive on Windows Phone...this has not been an easy transition. Even with the "lack of apps", I think I'd take a 950xl over the Note 5 anytime. But I do have to admit the usefulness of the Note 5 is starting to take me by storm. Even if GROOVE MUSIC has issues.
    10-26-2015 03:30 PM

I too, am looking at a Note. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to sync to outlook calendar and contacts (not enterprise). I know there is no problem syncing to my outlook mail account. Perhaps someone with experience can chime in.
    10-26-2015 03:56 PM
    I too, am looking at a Note. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to sync to outlook calendar and contacts (not enterprise). I know there is no problem syncing to my outlook mail account. Perhaps someone with experience can chime in.
    I am using the Outlook client. It will sync everything...but contacts are a little wonky. For example, once you set up Outlook on Android, you can see your Outlook contacts in the Outlook App under PEOPLE but no option to ADD to it. And SMS only pulled from GMAIL and was pulling some really old contacts from when I did use GMAIL more often. So, for now, I've resigned and letting google sync contacts. I exported them from Outlook.com and imported them into Google.

I know Android is highly customizable, so there may be a way around this and would love to know. Oh and remember, Cortana isn't half bad on Android. Needs some maturing but it isn't bad.
    10-26-2015 04:27 PM
    I am using the Outlook client. It will sync everything...but contacts are a little wonky. For example, once you set up Outlook on Android, you can see your Outlook contacts in the Outlook App under PEOPLE but no option to ADD to it. And SMS only pulled from GMAIL and was pulling some really old contacts from when I did use GMAIL more often. So, for now, I've resigned and letting google sync contacts. I exported them from Outlook.com and imported them into Google.
    The best option in this case might be to use the Gmail app instead of Outlook. I know; for a Microsoft fan it can be a nauseating thought... But the Gmail app natively supports Exchange, and from what I can tell it's quite feature complete. I'm not an Exchange power user however, so someone who uses it deeper than I do might find some things missing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-2015 05:32 PM
    Go "all in" with any platform - if you use Windows then use OneDrive, Outlook.com etc. If you go Android, use Google's services.
    Any attempt to mix and match just ends in a compromise somewhere.
    Migrating from one to the other is straightforward.
    10-26-2015 06:08 PM
    Yes I would - and probably will get the 950. I love the Interface. And hey - iOS and Android were already WAY ahead of Windows Phone when I picked up my Lumia 800 running WP7.5. If Msft pulls the plug altogether, I would try to look at a decent phone with a kickass camera - maybe the LG flagship - but I would sorely miss WP.
    A while ago though I had an 808 Pureview. Though I missed WP - especially how it handles people and email - I found myself really enjoying Symbian. Too bad though - by that time even Belle was sadly out of date - but had Nokia stuck with it - maybe made a Meego that could run Android apps and deliver a RAW shooting successor to the 808 with decent browser and up to date OS, I might still be there and may have never come back to WP.
    I'm hoping this is just a transition to a great piece of hardware down the line, but I have to admit that Msft treatment of their own phone has been beyond shabby. I don't think they even give two rips for those of us who genuinely love the product...
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-26-2015 07:54 PM
1,280 ... 4041424344 ...