Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well I look at it .like this With the programs that will allow porting of iOS and Google apps I may not need to worry about changing to an iPhone or an android device.

ctdreamin

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely!! I was a user of the early Windows phone version 6.. I switched to Andriod because the early Windows phones would become unusable after a year, whether due to upgrades or apps or?? But my 2 or 3 Andriod Phones did the same thing, had to be a industry conspiracy to force you to buy a new device!! But my last phone was an ICON, I've had it over a year and am quite happy with it, sure, it's not perfect, I have connectivity issues every now and then with wi-fi or blutooth, but have had no performance issues. yes, I have been frustrated with the lack of main stream app support, but hopefully if MS ever gets their act together with mobile devices, their popularity will increase enough to get the same support as Apple and Andriod. Frankly the Windows phone is better than any of the other offerings. I'm keeping a close eye on the next flagship phones, and though I have no issues with mine, I may upgrade, besides, since Verizon dropped the Icon early, they may not offer a windows 10 upgrade, wish Microsoft would do the updates like Apple, that is the only downside I have.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Now that Microsoft services are available on both iOS and Android, pretty much *any* smartphone can become, as the OP put it, a 'Microsoft Mobile'.

It really does make Windows Mobile somewhat irrelevant, unless you're really in love with the Continuum feature, or you work for Microsoft and want to impress the boss that you're eating your own dog food, so to speak.

Or that whole UI thing... Lol. Kind of a big reason. Maybe Preview cameras? I dunno, just guessing. :p

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Koen6500

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
100% most definitely yes! I had the Lumia 800, now I have the Lumia 925 and the next one will be a Lumia 950 if everything goes well. Otherwise it might be the Lumia 830 or maybe 850...

david sharp2

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
No..I kidded myself that I didn't need many apps. I love the phone. Constant annoyance that new services that I come across..blinkist for example dont look at windows phone as viable enough to develop for. Cortana has also been less than useful so far.

Ian Denchasy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes.

I love the tiles interface too much to switch. Of course, I don't use that many apps and I find the integration with Google sufficient via their own mail and calendar clients. I had to switch a few months ago to drive Uber (no partner app on MS Mobile) and hated both Android and iOS so much I switched back to Windows and actually remove the sim card from my Nokia and insert it into an old Samsung GS3 when I need to drive. My wife, who drives a lot more than me really wants to switch back as soon as Windows 10 mobile comes out. Plus, I use a Lumia 1530, which is a phenomenal device and can't imagine switching to something else at this point.

Oh, and give Cortana more use; I'm now using it extensively and it's amazing.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Based on the trainwreck that is Windows 10 Mobile, I'm gonna say no. Currently I'm using a Lumia 640, which is a competent, if lackluster, phone. I love the Windows Phone 8.1 UI and feel 10 abandons its core principles in favor of a clunkier, less usable UI that's trying too hard to appeal to IOS and Android users.

There's a good chance I'll switch back to iPhone.

spacecoreV8

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I think I would like to, since I use pretty much only Microsoft services and much prefer the overall UI of Windows to Android or iOS, but the only thing that's making me question this is the recent announcement of Pokemon Go (I know, I'm a dork). If by some chance, they make a Windows version of the game, then I'll stick with Windows Mobile. But if not, and the side-loading option for Android apps doesn't work, then I think I'll have to suck it up and jump over to Android. Pokemon is one of the things I love more than Windows Mobile, and probably the only thing that could make me leave this OS.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I love my Lumia 1020 because it solves a problem for me that no other phone does - Excellent photos combined with a smartphone, for sharing/storing the photos and allowing me to carry one device instead of two (camera and phone). However, the 1020 has been relegated to vacation and weekend status...the app gap is annoying enough that I prefer my Xperia Z3 Compact during the week. Small things like coffee apps, NJ Transit ticket app, Waze that allows me to share my drive with my wife, tap to pay...thie list goes on. Each one by itself has a workaround. together...it's just easier to carry an android phone.

Until I see that awesome scene and I want a great picture, and I wish I had my damn 1020.

WUPAPI39

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
100% YES. All of the arguments against it are extremely shallow. I love the interface and the look and fell as well as the eco-system. Not having banking apps? Snapchat? gimme a break If you're making decisions based on apps like that you are doing yourselves a disservice. I can very easily access Chase, along with all of my Ccards via the web so that is a complete non-starter. I've had my Lumia Icon for just over a year and the new options for purchasing direct so as to get around Verizon and their bias against WP I see no reason or any pressure to move to another platform. I use an iPhone 5 daily for work (SO BACKWARDS) and if I didn't have to I would never use it again.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I share your anger and disappointment at Microsoft's complete incompetence when it comes to figuring out how to market an OS, but claiming Android is superior is just silly. It has more apps, but that's about it. It sports an old fashioned UI paradigm, and except on high end hardware, its performance is miserable.

That said, I'd at this moment sooner buy a (high end) Android device than a Windows Phone device. Having played with the betas a bit, my impression of Windows 10 mobile is that it's a trainwreck. It's trying WAY too hard to be an Android/iOS knockoff.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Pureview cameras were an advantage that Microsoft squandered. Any high end phone has caught up and now delivers optical image stabilization, low light capabilities and a wider color gamut. If you need a better camera than what comes in an iPhone or Galaxy, odds are good what you're looking for is a DSLR, not a phone. There isn't a smartphone on this planet that can compare with the quality of a good DSLR.

And while I agree with the UI argument, Windows Phone 10 is working hard at nullifying it by delivering a mediocre, watered-down experience that strips much of the UI of its best features in favor of a cheap Android/iOS knockoff look. No. Thank. You.

jasongw

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the arguments YOU are making are the shallow ones. Having access to apps and services on the go is the ENTIRE ******* POINT of having a smartphone. If it doesn't support these things and do it well, it's useless. And while yes, you can access Chase and a few other banking sites via the website, the experience is far from optimal, often being characterized by bad loading times, unresponsive links, etc. To boot, you get no notifications, no easy access to quickly send or transfer money with others, etc.

No, apps aren't everything, but the very fact that you admit to having to use an iPhone *at all* proves that there is a problem that remains unsolved YEARS after it should have been, and that's 100% Microsoft's fault.

ruthietootie

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I love WP. What's killing it is the lack of apps. I'm taking a wait and see approach, before I decide to change my phone. If things remain the same or the experience worsens with WM10, I'll get an iPhone

frank pik

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
probably because of xbox as long as it can keep up with competitors. What really makes me not want to buy anything of theirs is their business practices/politics

no51

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I've been with Windows a loooong time: HTC Wizard > Samsung Epix > Samsung Focus > Lumia 920 > Lumia 1520 (add to that a Zune 30 and 160). I've been through a lot of Microsoft's shenanigans and the odds of my next phone being a Windows Phone is slim. That's nearly a decade of "waiting and seeing" and I'm just tired of it all. For what it's worth, my L920 era was probably the best (still have 6snap on it) and loss of wireless Zune sync was probably the biggest blemish of that time.

Acejax805

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to only own Android devices. First phone was an HTC Evo 4g (still one of my most favorite phones ever) followed by a Galaxy S2 and lastly a Nexus 4 (still have it). I then switched to iOS in 2013 and have owned an iPhone 5 and most recently an iPhone 6 Plus. Was a really hardcore iOS fan, but then I woke up and realized, this is so boring. I then bought a Lumia 635 and have really enjoyed the experience. It pairs great with my Xbox One and I am looking forward to WP10. I will definitely be buying a WP10 device.

Dexter Wroth

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I've had a couple of Windows Phones, loved my Icon it was a daily driver unfortunately I'm switching to iPhone. Windows Phone doesn't allow me to pay using the phone at popular retailers, my bank no longer has a windows phone app, i like to use reward cards for places like CVS or Walgreens, movies and my local grocery store. All available on Android or iPhone but not Windows Phone. Apps on the other platforms seem to get updated more frequent, look nicer. One example WAZE much better on the other platforms. I think the other platforms have better games like Real Racing and RipTide. Windows Phone always outperformed the others. No lag or hesitation. I like the ecosystem and Windows Phone integrates better with my work environment and Office 365. I will watch closely and if things improve for Windows 10 Mobile then I might be back. Cityman and Talkman look like amazing phones with Iris scanner. Very cool. I use my banking app all the time, I use my reward cards all the time, I like top games, I want apps updated frequently, and I don't want to use third party apps for things like Nest or DropCam they usually don't have all the options. This has been a tough decision because I'm up for a new phone and I really liked Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786