02-08-2017 04:20 AM
1,280 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Seriously, you use 15 Core apps everyday? I call BS on that claim.
    08-31-2015 02:14 PM
    I have a samsung galaxy note 2 and because they have a permanent battery and no SD slot I decided to go to Windows Phone. But, my main reason, and I don't see anyone talking about this at all, is that I want a phone that interfaces better with Microsoft Office and the contacts in Outlook. I was actually excited to be able to open a Word document or an Excel file without having to use a third-party program.

However, after reading this I'm a little hesitant on making the switch. I use Google Maps all the time and it's great and Google search seems to be far superior to any other search, although I have not used Bing in ages. I am also concerned about the bank application. I was told I could use the standard web rather than phone site but we know sometimes the layout of that website, with dialog boxes, prevent you from entering data.

I am also concerned about battery life with the active tiles in Windows Phone. This entire posting is being dictated into my phone and I also like swipe for typing.

So I was gung ho about getting a Windows Phone and now I am not so sure. So many of you are saying bad things about it. I cannot buy an Apple phone after Apple spit in the faces of all Americans by removing millions of jobs, equipment for production and their tax base while Apple was made here and use our resources. Apple needs to be stopped.

For most of us who bought the Samsungs, we are totally pissed off about the battery and the SD card. My phone is almost 3 years old and the battery wears down pretty quickly, so I have extra batteries. I never have to run to a Starbucks with my charger and sit there like an ***** for half an hour while my battery charges. I also hated the interface 4 contacts. I don't know if Windows Phone 10 will work exactly like the latest version of Microsoft Office, I'm sure there will be many differences, but at least the files should be the same. Android cuts off any details in my notes field, where it's unlimited in office and outlook. I am going to try to send this without reviewing it for errors because for some reason I think this has been very accurate, more so than usual and then only corrected the few little things that were obvious.

Dlcpa
    08-31-2015 03:02 PM
    it is the best mobile platform that nobody is developing for :(

Not going back to WP until the lack of apps is fixed.
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-31-2015 03:11 PM
    Droid and iOS have more MS apps (garage or otherwise) and they work great too. Nothing clunky or buggy. I mean the Outlook app on Droid is way better than Windows Mobile 10..wtf?!

So my answer is NO for now. I want MS to do something awesome for me to come back.
    08-31-2015 03:14 PM
    The Outlook app is better on Android, that's a laugh. It hardly works for most people including me. Take a look at the reviews. Most of us can't get notifications to work anymore.
    08-31-2015 03:27 PM
    Seriously, you use 15 Core apps everyday? I call BS on that claim.
    I use less than that.
    08-31-2015 03:28 PM
    I honestly wouldn't buy one again, although it has been awhile. The app store is the main thing that turned me away, I did see something about phones being able to dual boot OS so if I could run alongside an Android build I would.
    08-31-2015 03:39 PM
    I don't think I will. No I'm not going Android or iOS. I'm just sick of the bugginess factor the phones have gone too. WP7 was rock solid! Smooth, no bugs, just great. WP8 came and introduced some annoying bucks like using the web browser would crash and reset my phone and now sometimes the browser will randomly close out. Now they've completely ruined music. Music will actually lock and reboot my 1020. Other annoyances is the whole experience has changed. They've moved away from what made Metro fantastic. Call me nostalgic but testing Win10 on my 620 shows it's an inconsistent mess. They also can't be true hands free devices. Just ask Cortana to play a song! It's the most frustrating thing ever. I can't believe they put the same issue into Win10. Cortana should NEVER do a web search when you ask her to play a song.

I'm thinking of going to a flip phone. Seriously! I think I'm done with smart phones. Shout out to my old HTC ARRIVE!
    08-31-2015 04:12 PM
    Tough crowd. Here are the 15 apps I use everyday on my iPhone.

automatic - for tracking my driving habits, gas mileage, etc
    lifx - controls my indoor lights, integrates with ITTT
    tcp ligtening - controls my outdoor lights
    chamberlain - opening/closing my garage door and inside lights
    ring - my wifi doorbell, which I use as an intercom where ever i am
    kevo - to open/close my door
    mydlink view - to view my kids and babysitter
    alene hein - to read messages/alerts from my kid's school
    starbucks - to pay for starbucks coffee/reload card
    kcra - to read important news in my city
    walmart - to scan my receipts and get cash back
    global corporate challenge - to input my steps daily / confirm steps from fitbit
    golden1 - check balance
    bofa - check balance
    puffin browser - has flash built in. my default

These are just the apps that MS does not have or does not execute as well as on iOS or Android. MS is missing a lot of the home automation apps. I have Nest but didn't include it above because I know there is a related Nest app called Cozy, which I did use on my W8 phone and W10 phone. If you all use less, then more power to ya. I admit the iPhone has become boring, so I am always keeping my eyes open for new developments in WP.
    08-31-2015 04:16 PM
    it is the best mobile platform that nobody is developing for :(

Not going back to WP until the lack of apps is fixed.

This is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. It's frustrating, but the more people ignore the platform due to the lack of apps, the less likely it is developers will want to develop for it, due to a lack of users. I hope the tools that Microsoft have created to take the strain off of the developers to make the transition to the OS easier is well adopted. However, I wouldn't expect to see this change over night if it is.
    Brian Emmerling likes this.
    08-31-2015 04:23 PM
    Sure the notifications work on WP10 but when i select the email i want to look at it does not want to open it. i will have to fiddle with it and then sure it opens it but its not formatted well enough to read. I I dont care about notifications as much as the UI is friendly. Combined mail is nice, focus mail is nice. Am just saying compared to Droid, WP10 Outlook app is lacking and that does say something about it.
    08-31-2015 04:31 PM
    For me it comes down to t-mobile. If they get a flagship I will, if they don't may switch. Definitely not switching providers, I use jump so MS store not an option right now. With more and more carriers using jump like programs, ms has to get with it. I have no contract so expect to upgrade my phone once/year. Right now have htc one m8 and Nov will be a year so hopefully will have it :)
    08-31-2015 04:42 PM
    Honestly, I am undecided. It really has a lot to do with what they do with Win10 Mobile. I became a fan of Windows Phone with WP7.1. I have owned an HTC Radar 4G, Lumia 521, and now a Lumia 635. Though the quirkiness of the phones has become less with each upgrade, they have at the same time lost features that were valuable to me and that made WP unique. Now I have glimpsed the future (Win10Mobile) and so far I really don't like it. They are ruining the easy, fluid UX. I hate the hamburger menu. I hate the lack of a combined/unified email inbox which now makes it 4 times as long to check my email. Heck, Outlook on my Android tablet is better than Outlook on my Win10 tablet OR Win10 Mobile. If the UX for Win10Mobile doesn't improve then Windows on a phone is ruined IMO. I'm tired of waiting for everyone to realize how great WP is while MS guts it of everything that makes it great. Live Tiles alone are not enough to keep me. Android has improved enough over the years (at least pure Android) that I will be swayed to switch. I'm still waiting and hoping for MS to fix it but judging by Windows 10 on the tablet, well lets just say I am already researching what Android phone I want.
    a5cent and pookiewood like this.
    08-31-2015 04:44 PM
    I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards no right now.

Quick background: I'm an early adopter of WP starting back with a Samsung Focus on WP7 up through a Lumia 900, 920 and finally a 925. My company shifted to a CalDAV based calendaring system and that doesn't work with WP or Outlook which means I had to switch to Apple or Android and I chose the original HTC One M7.

Today I am ready for a new phone, probably going with either a iPhone 6s or a Galaxy S6 (though I will shop around cause I hate TouchWiz). I'll probably wait to see what MS announces with the Cityman/Talkman but due to the still present CalDAV issue I'm leaning towards a big N-O on Win10 Mobile. This is compounded by the fact that I've become reliant on a handful of Android apps that are missing from WP or are stale and aren't receiving regular updates (travel, banking, investing apps plus Reddit Sync, PocketCasts and MyFitnessPal are the biggies).

I am digging Win10 on the desktop and would much prefer to give my money and personal info to MS over Google or Apple. I've always loved the Lumia phone color/designs/durability but they just haven't kept up from a day-to-day usability standpoint. WP's UX used to be a differentiating feature that made me tolerate the app gap, but nowadays with the hamburgers and generally poor one-handed UX in Win10 Mobile it doesn't make much sense to stick with them. Hope this strategy helps close the app gap so they can catch up on features and make this desktop/mobile convergence a reality but it's not here today and I need a phone ASAP.
    08-31-2015 05:01 PM
    The only reason I initially jumped on the Windows phone train, was due to the Lumia 1020, and that insane camera (for stills *as well* as video).
    Since a follow up to that is not in the cards, I have no problem switching (I'd kind of already done so, with a Moto X, but lost it some time ago at a football game). It's looking like an iPhone 6S for me.

The only X factor is, I still have a Microsoft stores' device insurance plan, where if your phone fails or is damaged, they do a like for like swap on a new device. So, if I wait until October or November I'd be getting one of the new phones for only the $100 deductible, not on contract. The Lumia is already experiencing battery issues, and a store manager said it's a swap candidate, so........choices choices.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-31-2015 05:08 PM
    I loved my Lumia 1020 but had to switch to either Android or iOS because my employer at the time had a required app that wasn't available on WP. My contract was up earlier this month and I thought hard about going with a new flagship WP but decided to just get the Note 5 instead. I started with a Samsung Focus 7 years ago and it's always felt like WP is one version away from being great. I'm tired of the never ending stream of "just wait for...." I have a sinking feeling they will finally announce the phone's in October but not available until December with the continuum dock thing coming next year followed by promised patches and fixes to fully enable all the features. It's always just around the corner with WP. On the other hand, if they finally do get this stuff out and it works well I'm happy to switch back. I've just decided not to wait anymore.
    humanhowever likes this.
    08-31-2015 05:15 PM
    I'm tired of the never ending stream of "just wait for...." I have a sinking feeling they will finally announce the phone's in October but not available until December with the continuum dock thing coming next year followed by promised patches and fixes to fully enable all the features. It's always just around the corner with WP. On the other hand, if they finally do get this stuff out and it works well I'm happy to switch back. I've just decided not to wait anymore.
    I agree, but I likewise don't see the 'wait for it, it's just around the corner' thing to not be a Windows phone meme.
    You're already seeing it now with 'oh, these aren't the *real* Microsoft phones. Wait for the Surface phone for sometime in 2016.'

Yeah, NO.
    08-31-2015 05:23 PM
    I have to admit I am anxiously awaiting the new iPhone to come out. I have been counting it down of late and cannot wait much longer. I like having new tech and the lack of new hardware has been tough. I hate to lose my 1020 camera but honestly will keep the phone to use on vacations. I loved the hardware, I really like what they've done with the OS, however the lack of app support has really been hurting me lately. Next week should be the iPhone announcement and I will go back to a platform where there are developers actively working on new apps and updating current apps.
    08-31-2015 06:17 PM
    We'll have to wait and see.
    08-31-2015 06:32 PM
    None of the things you mention in your post except for the first few (that you like) have anything to do with hardware.
    08-31-2015 06:34 PM
    It has been a hell of a ride, but no. I have always heard how awesomely stable and secure was Windows compared to Android but to be honest it has turned out to be worst. Crashes, bugs and overall bad performance is something I have lived everyday and I had two Lumia phones. Windows feels like a beta and its apps are not better. Windows 10 might improve things but the new design just feels a lot like Android/iOS and since most of the apps from now on will probably be ports from Google OS, why don't just use Android? I miss so much the personalization that you could do to Android and just how easy it was to do pretty much everything you wanted with it. Men, I would kill for an Android atm xD However, once I get an Android (I will any time soon) I will miss the camera and the beautiful design most Lumias have. I really can't say I will miss Windows. Sorry, I just can't.
    08-31-2015 08:31 PM
    Without a doubt I would purchase another MS mobile phone.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    08-31-2015 08:39 PM
    I have a samsung galaxy note 2 and because they have a permanent battery and no SD slot I decided to go to Windows Phone. But, my main reason, and I don't see anyone talking about this at all, is that I want a phone that interfaces better with Microsoft Office and the contacts in Outlook. I was actually excited to be able to open a Word document or an Excel file without having to use a third-party program.
    Well, this is one of the main points to me, I see it should be a major advantage to be inside the Windows ecosystem first hand. And not only for Office, but yeah, the whole ecosystem is definitely the most serious and productivity-oriented. Light years away from Android and iOS, however you look at it.

However, after reading this I'm a little hesitant on making the switch. I use Google Maps all the time and it's great and Google search seems to be far superior to any other search, although I have not used Bing in ages.
    It's not. Bing is equally good as a search engine in every respect. And might be even better as an engine overall. It feeds a lot of the competition's services, and behind Cortana, for example, it works as a intelligent network of related content. it's not just searches.

I am also concerned about the bank application. I was told I could use the standard web rather than phone site but we know sometimes the layout of that website, with dialog boxes, prevent you from entering data.
    With bank apps it depends a lot of how the bank cares for their customers. Mine recently made a WP app. I don't care enough for having it, it's definitely not a point I'd take into account for choosing a smartphone/OS. I see people make a big fuss about it though. I do my banking stuff from my desktop or my Surface, and that's that. But well, I do think the web version should suffice.

I am also concerned about battery life with the active tiles in Windows Phone.
    This won't be a problem, at all. In any case, Android is known for having lots of background processes which drain resources and battery. No wonder they resort to apps that kill processes, look this up. Windows is well optimized and Lumias are not resource-hogs, battery life should be normal in any modern Lumia.

Besides, live tiles do not take a lot in terms of processing power and/or battery life.

This entire posting is being dictated into my phone and I also like swipe for typing.
    Windows Mobile 10 supports speech entry wherever you can type. It's a new feature that I expect to work well, being that it's based on the same great voice recognition that powers Cortana.

So I was gung ho about getting a Windows Phone and now I am not so sure. So many of you are saying bad things about it.
    I read your post and decided to take my time to make a response to your questions, because I see all the negative bias towards WP in this thread that it's uncalled for and unfair, and I realized that people like you could be influenced by it.

WP it's not as bad as the OP makes it look. It's not bad, it's a great OS, that it's also growing and maturing, and did that much faster than IOS and Android. It's simply that some people do not like it. But it's mature enough as it is to stand toe to toe with any of the other two. Except for the so called "app gap", which as you might have noticed if you read the whole thread, it's HIGHLY subjective and depends on personal use. I have never felt it myself, at all. Never once said "oh, I need that app, it's a shame it's not out for WP".

I think that you'd be well within the Windows ecosystem with a Lumia, and I highly recommend that you get on board or stick to it.

Apple is pretentious, and runs morally questionable practices, we already established that. Samsung devices are not very well built and IMHO Android is a complex mess. I say wait for the release of Windows Mobile 10 and give it a try, you won't regret it.

I've been rocking my Lumia 920 since it came out, and it still works really well, considering its age. I'm planning of buying the new flagship as soon as it comes out, but there's also a lot of good Lumias currently being sold in every price range.
    libra89, a5cent and M7H like this.
    08-31-2015 08:54 PM
    I'm definitely going to buy another Windows Phone. Not only for my self and my wife, but 43 more for the office and field staff at work. As the company's sole IT guy, Windows Phones have given me almost no problems since deploying them 3 years ago. Every few months, I'll have one that freezes up and requires a soft reset, but other than that they have been great, and proven to be very durable, with 2/3 of our users being fireplace and garage door installers that tend to be pretty rough on things. When we used iPhone and Android, I was constantly working on one phone or another. The staff prefers Windows Phone and have said they are easier to use and have far less issues. While we have some 1020's, 830's, and 640 deployed, we also have about 2 dozen 3-year-old 920's that are still going strong and taking excellent jobsite photos.

In our household, daily drivers are 1020's and I've been following along with WP10 on a Lumia 830. So far, WP10 does everything I need, except the Insteon home control app has not been updated to work with it yet. I hear everyone complain about the lack of banking apps, and I just don't get it. For one, I'd never access my bank account on a mobile device. And two, why do so many people need to screw around in their bank account all the time? Our household has a 6-figure income, we have a mortgage, and all the typical bills to pay, and I log in on my home PC and check my bank account once a week or so.
    If you are cutting it so close financially that you have to check your bank balance all the time, maybe buying a new flagship phone every year should be reconsidered. But either way, judging by the rate at which Windows 10 is being adopted, and now installed by default in new PCs, I can't imagine developers turning a blind eye to what is, as of a few days ago, already a pool of 75 million users and growing. Once the universal apps start rolling out, and the money for developers starts rolling in, the app gap will largely be mitigated.
    Kevin Rush, Laura Knotek and M7H like this.
    08-31-2015 09:15 PM
    I hear everyone complain about the lack of banking apps, and I just don't get it. For one, I'd never access my bank account on a mobile device. And two, why do so many people need to screw around in their bank account all the time? Our household has a 6-figure income, we have a mortgage, and all the typical bills to pay, and I log in on my home PC and check my bank account once a week or so.
    Perhaps a person who travels on business and gets checks given to him/her as payment for work. Rather than wait around till getting home or looking for a bank branch (especially if there isn't one in the town where the person happens to be), that person could take a picture of the check and deposit it immediately.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-31-2015 09:21 PM
1,280 ... 56789 ...