Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Richard King5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Oh hell yes I would! I currently have a Lumia 930 and bought my wife an Iphone 6 plus and I feel like I just paid someone for a sack of gold only to find out when I got home the bag was filled with rocks. I really really really really hate that thing.

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
50-50.
I'll stick with my 1520 for a while because it will remain relevant (hardware/software) for some time.

The 920 was (only my opinion... your mileage may vary) the a stunning phone in terms of appearance. Yes, it was a little heavy (not an issue for me or my wife), but really striking. Every new series 30/40 design looks toylike by comparison.

If the 950XL has a dual sim dual active option in the USA... that might be tempting. It's looks are at least on par with my 1520 (though neither are as pretty as the 920 or that Android phone that goes edge to edge... that's neat).

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
50-50.
I'll stick with my 1520 for a while because it will remain relevant (hardware/software) for some time.

The 920 was (only my opinion... your mileage may vary) the a stunning phone in terms of appearance. Yes, it was a little heavy (not an issue for me or my wife), but really striking. Every new series 30/40 design looks toylike by comparison.

If the 950XL has a dual sim dual active option in the USA... that might be tempting. It's looks are at least on par with my 1520 (though neither are as pretty as the 920 or that Android phone that goes edge to edge... that's neat).

Setting aside the OS, the main reviewers' criticism of the (beautiful, IMHO) L920 was weight. L930? A bit chubby vs competition. You would think in three years Lumia could figure out a way to "slim down"... L830 was getting there....

JohnCz

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Of course I will, sort of a strange question to ask. My current Lumia has served me extremely well, beautiful photos, easy syncing, etc. Apps can be a problem, especially when it comes to control apps for IoT devices. Need more people to buy Windows Mobile devices so we can get beyond asking developers to create/port apps to Windows Mobile but demand they do. Not there yet.

wescoerg

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Most likely not, but really, it'd be very easy to keep me (and probably others). First of all, if they don't offer their new flagships on Verizon, I won't be sticking with the platform. If they offer some sort of special variant for Verizon (955 and 955 XL), I won't be sticking with the platform. They need to realize that it's much easier and cheaper to market your phones when you offer the same things on all the networks (see Apple, Samsung, LG, etc.). Too many people are confused by the 920/928, 820/822, etc. It's flat out bad marketing.

They need to show they're serious about the platform. As W10 gains marketshare and developers start developing for it, Microsoft needs to create some sort of incentive to make sure the apps work on mobile. They need to start pushing big developers hard to get their apps, even if they have to lose some money at the start.

A lot of people won't switch platforms if they can't keep their games and apps. There's no Injustice, Clash of Clans, etc. on W10M and that right there is the reason that people won't switch. They are making it easy to copy/paste code from IOS and Android, now they need to give devs reason to do it.

Also, it's something that Windows Phone users have gotten used to and are fine with, but we need better first party support. When someone wants Instagram, the response they don't want to hear is, "Yeah, but the official app sucks, but there's this great third party developer that makes and expertly supports his Instagram app." Most of us are good with it, but people moving over won't be.

I hope they do something, but if not, they are going to continue to lose supporters and marketshare.

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Last time I counted, if I went back to WP from my iPhone 6 I would be missing at least 42 apps, 15 of which are core apps I use everyday. Of those 42, I could probably get by with 27 of them just using the browser to logon such as my bank app and others. Until the app gap shrinks I probably won't consider going back to WP, but I am keeping my eyes open since I do have a work Android phone that can fill those gaps, while I use WP for taking pictures, games, live tiles, Cortana, etc.

Leovrf

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
No, absolutely not.

When they add a decent detailed lock screen notification, with more than one app option, then I'll buy one blindfolded. Until then, compared to the competition, it's a beta OS (I know its a tough comment).

Sorry Microsoft, I personally cannot live without this feature. Sad thing is I'm a huge fan of Lumia / Windows phones. I keep coming here looking for new features posts. One day, who knows...

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Having ben a Blackberry user for many years and converting to Windows 7.0 several years ago, I've been a Windows Phone enthusiast ever since. I admit to venturing to Android a couple times to see what it was like but I have always quickly returned to Windows Phone. I now have 2 Lumia Icons, one is my Daily Driver and the other is for testing the latest preview build before loading on my DD device. I plan on getting the new 940/950 5.2 inch version when it comes out. The only thing that could stop me from that is an announcement of a Surface Phone. So I've tried Android and my wife has a iPhone and I am not interested in either OSs over Windows Mobile 10 and the Microsoft Lumia devices!

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy note 2 and because they have a permanent battery and no SD slot I decided to go to Windows Phone. But, my main reason, and I don't see anyone talking about this at all, is that I want a phone that interfaces better with Microsoft Office and the contacts in Outlook. I was actually excited to be able to open a Word document or an Excel file without having to use a third-party program.

However, after reading this I'm a little hesitant on making the switch. I use Google Maps all the time and it's great and Google search seems to be far superior to any other search, although I have not used Bing in ages. I am also concerned about the bank application. I was told I could use the standard web rather than phone site but we know sometimes the layout of that website, with dialog boxes, prevent you from entering data.

I am also concerned about battery life with the active tiles in Windows Phone. This entire posting is being dictated into my phone and I also like swipe for typing.

So I was gung ho about getting a Windows Phone and now I am not so sure. So many of you are saying bad things about it. I cannot buy an Apple phone after Apple spit in the faces of all Americans by removing millions of jobs, equipment for production and their tax base while Apple was made here and use our resources. Apple needs to be stopped.

For most of us who bought the Samsungs, we are totally pissed off about the battery and the SD card. My phone is almost 3 years old and the battery wears down pretty quickly, so I have extra batteries. I never have to run to a Starbucks with my charger and sit there like an ***** for half an hour while my battery charges. I also hated the interface 4 contacts. I don't know if Windows Phone 10 will work exactly like the latest version of Microsoft Office, I'm sure there will be many differences, but at least the files should be the same. Android cuts off any details in my notes field, where it's unlimited in office and outlook. I am going to try to send this without reviewing it for errors because for some reason I think this has been very accurate, more so than usual and then only corrected the few little things that were obvious.

Dlcpa

hardly_here

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Droid and iOS have more MS apps (garage or otherwise) and they work great too. Nothing clunky or buggy. I mean the Outlook app on Droid is way better than Windows Mobile 10..wtf?!

So my answer is NO for now. I want MS to do something awesome for me to come back.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The Outlook app is better on Android, that's a laugh. It hardly works for most people including me. Take a look at the reviews. Most of us can't get notifications to work anymore.

Lickwidsoap

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I honestly wouldn't buy one again, although it has been awhile. The app store is the main thing that turned me away, I did see something about phones being able to dual boot OS so if I could run alongside an Android build I would.

pookiewood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I will. No I'm not going Android or iOS. I'm just sick of the bugginess factor the phones have gone too. WP7 was rock solid! Smooth, no bugs, just great. WP8 came and introduced some annoying bucks like using the web browser would crash and reset my phone and now sometimes the browser will randomly close out. Now they've completely ruined music. Music will actually lock and reboot my 1020. Other annoyances is the whole experience has changed. They've moved away from what made Metro fantastic. Call me nostalgic but testing Win10 on my 620 shows it's an inconsistent mess. They also can't be true hands free devices. Just ask Cortana to play a song! It's the most frustrating thing ever. I can't believe they put the same issue into Win10. Cortana should NEVER do a web search when you ask her to play a song.

I'm thinking of going to a flip phone. Seriously! I think I'm done with smart phones. Shout out to my old HTC ARRIVE!

RoarinRow

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Tough crowd. Here are the 15 apps I use everyday on my iPhone.

automatic - for tracking my driving habits, gas mileage, etc
lifx - controls my indoor lights, integrates with ITTT
tcp ligtening - controls my outdoor lights
chamberlain - opening/closing my garage door and inside lights
ring - my wifi doorbell, which I use as an intercom where ever i am
kevo - to open/close my door
mydlink view - to view my kids and babysitter
alene hein - to read messages/alerts from my kid's school
starbucks - to pay for starbucks coffee/reload card
kcra - to read important news in my city
walmart - to scan my receipts and get cash back
global corporate challenge - to input my steps daily / confirm steps from fitbit
golden1 - check balance
bofa - check balance
puffin browser - has flash built in. my default

These are just the apps that MS does not have or does not execute as well as on iOS or Android. MS is missing a lot of the home automation apps. I have Nest but didn't include it above because I know there is a related Nest app called Cozy, which I did use on my W8 phone and W10 phone. If you all use less, then more power to ya. I admit the iPhone has become boring, so I am always keeping my eyes open for new developments in WP.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
it is the best mobile platform that nobody is developing for :(

Not going back to WP until the lack of apps is fixed.

This is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. It's frustrating, but the more people ignore the platform due to the lack of apps, the less likely it is developers will want to develop for it, due to a lack of users. I hope the tools that Microsoft have created to take the strain off of the developers to make the transition to the OS easier is well adopted. However, I wouldn't expect to see this change over night if it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss