Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Window Phone since it came out. I got this Nokia 830 in November. I've barely re-booted it. It has never frozen. One or two apps have crashed a couple times. Battery life is consistent. I can drop it on cement with no case. Who cares that I have to go to BofA.com rather than have a B of A app. I wish Windows 10 was half as good as WP8.1.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Apparently Verizon says I have bought my last Windows Phone since they will not have the new phones coming out. Looks like it will be back to iPhone since it is going on 3 years now with my 928.

CGA111

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely definitely not, I'm sick and tired of this walled garden with lack of apps and horrible language support. It's time for my wife to get a news phone and she's ordering a Xiaomi Red Note 2 from China. When my 920 gives up I'm doing the same.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I had an IPhone 3G back in the day... and let me tell you, that was an experience to make me never want to purchase another apple product for as long as I live.

As for getting another Windows mobile, sure. I've had very few issues with my 900 and even less with the 920. Appwise, I've been able to find whatever app I've needed for the job and with the way things are going (mobile sites rather than apps, project astoria and project islandwood) I doubt I will be missing the next "killer app" for long. Hell, for a long time Nokia(here) drive was the best GPS you could get.

At this point my 920 is quite old and I'm looking forward to the actual reveal of the 950. If they look/perform well I'll more than likely get one.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Almost assuredly not, but I'll keep an open mind. I've had a Verizon 929 (aka Icon) for nearly a year and an 828 before that. While I like the OS, neither phone has been very good. The 929 Icon is especially frustrating.

If I'm connected to WiFi and 4G but lose my WiFi connection - due to moving out of range, for instance - the phone will not access the internet. Sometimes turning WiFi off will fix it, but sometimes it requires rebooting the phone. I want to leave WiFi on all the time, since I'm usually within range, but find myself constantly aware of needing to turn it off and on, depending on availability of WiFi.
There are times it drops down into 3G even though there's a strong 4G signal in that location. In those cases it ALWAYS requires a reboot.
IE is horribly slow to load pages compared to my wife's iPhone 6 browser - on the order of 3 or 4 times as long to load pages.
The voice translation for text messaging and email doesn't know about spoken punctuation, unlike Android, and it also seems to make mistakes in translation far more frequently than my Nexus tablet.
No app for my bank!
I still cannot figure out how to shoot panoramas with the Icon's camera, but with a Samsung Galaxy III it's brain-dead simple and it does a GREAT job.

Some of these issues may not be OS issues but instead could be hardware that is specific to this model or even to my particular phone, but overall I'm not a happy user. I'm going to wait for the broad release of WP10, give it a realistic chance, and then make a decision. Desktop Win10 feels like a step back from Win 8.1, so I'm not optimistic

windows 10 on pc looks like an unfinished work. after two weeks my lenovo miix3 tablet with win10 failed. could not update apps, even after adding a new user and removing old one I could no longer launch any metro apps, even could not open Display Settings. :))) I am refreshing it to factory and sell it. for tablet use I'll return to ipad, never Windows tablet again: low battery life, terrible win10 tablet touch experience. I will still keeep my surface pro 3 as for a laptop replacement is perfect, but with win8.1, not win10 ever

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kenneth Fossum

May 31, 2014
Visit site
No. I don't like Win 10 on my my Dell Venue pro 8. I don't like it on my Lumia 930. I will be keeping my Lumia, but will probably go for the new iPhone as the daily driver. I have an iPad which I enjoy very much. I have had tons of Android phones and tablets. Time to check out the iPhone. No politics or anything involved. Just want to try it out.

Keeping Windows 10 on my desktop. Great desktop OS.

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
This is a bit of a chicken and egg scenario.....

MS fixed this once before. XBox was late to the market, and before that DirectX was late to the market. Both times MS went out and bought the market. Selling xbox much cheaper than Playstation, and paying studios like ID (think Doom) to develop on their platforms using DirectX. I think they are going to have to do the same thing again here.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
They ditched most of the Nokia team. Microsoft looks more and more as a cost keeping company willing to ignore any sort of quality. They could have picked one of the concepts out there, cause there are some stunning ones, give that guy a contract to finish the whole design along with their team but keeping his model in front. But why to pay more when they simply decided to ignore everything and come up with these two trash toys. Also there are some concepts about the OS too, extremely beautiful. Did MS took any of them into account? No And they scream then that WP needs more users and dev attraction. I believe that a team of no more than 4 concept designers out there could have provided a breaktrough device and a stunning OS interface and experience.... and some call Satya a mastermind :))) lol at what? ignoring any sort of quality maybe

Maybe it's me but, you DO get what you pay for. When Microsoft makes a product, over the years it's been top notch. I have had Microsoft hardware for years (keyboards, mice, and tons of other stuff). There is a difference from buying a 520 (for example) a phone that was designed to hit a $39.99 price point vs. a flagship device (ICON/930/1520, etc).

It's like buying a $9500 new Hyundai and being ticked off because it's not built like a Benz or Lexus...

Most likely not, but really, it'd be very easy to keep me (and probably others). First of all, if they don't offer their new flagships on Verizon, I won't be sticking with the platform. If they offer some sort of special variant for Verizon (955 and 955 XL), I won't be sticking with the platform. They need to realize that it's much easier and cheaper to market your phones when you offer the same things on all the networks (see Apple, Samsung, LG, etc.). Too many people are confused by the 920/928, 820/822, etc. It's flat out bad marketing.

This does not make any sense in my eyes, So , We have the ICON and the 930, if for feature for feature, your getting the same or more features in a almost same package, Who really cares what the model is ? I understand the Verizon thing, like me, it's question I will have to answer when these new models come available but, Are you just trying to make a stand because their model numbers are confusing a little bit ? If that is what your trying to do, I think the only person who will notice or suffer is yourself.

Microsoft has publicly said, they are sliming down Nokia for this reason, too many models. Instead they will focus on 3-4 models a year and let the other OEM's pick up the slack.

it is the best mobile platform that nobody is developing for :(

Could of not of been said better. This is the PERFECT way to explain how Windows Phone is, I think I am going to use this from now on. Thanks

With bank apps it depends a lot of how the bank cares for their customers. Mine recently made a WP app. I don't care enough for having it, it's definitely not a point I'd take into account for choosing a smartphone/OS. I see people make a big fuss about it though. I do my banking stuff from my desktop or my Surface, and that's that. But well, I do think the web version should suffice.

Maybe it's you but, I get checks time to time, sometimes from my customers, others during holidays. I had a Bank of America app, with this, I was able to deposit checks with the GREAT camera in my ICON, they yanked it, now I need to FIND a branch, or sign the check over to my WIFE who has an iPhone to do it.

Even the Android BOA app installed on W10m Preview, works but, it cant access hardware so you can't deposit checks but, it's WORLDS better than trying to use a full web page and scrolling back and forth (as the mobile page sucks).

For me, it's still about the Apps, just like TONS of others here, I am on a waiting point. Crossing fingers for this Universal app and Android apps to WP to WORK. Microsoft is counting on the Desktop Windows 10 to do very well and when Windows 10 phone comes up, it should be a perfect marriage but, if they don't figure out this app thing and QUICK, No one is going to come over if they cant get the apps they use.

After going from Windows Mobile directly to Windows Phone, I have been used to 3rd party buggy apps and No Local apps at all, I see my wife's iPhone, although I hate the phone itself but, the apps are amazing. Even normal apps like Facebook and Twitter are so much better on the iphone. WOW, I can pick from about 25 smartwatches too, fit bit, Pebble, even a Band if I wanted it, Windows Phone ? The BAND....that is it (that you can buy and use right now).

I just hope Microsoft can get their crap together and give the devs a REASON to make WP apps and we can enjoy this all too....

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Despite my complaining and moping about how long Microsoft has had to give us a gorgeous device in terms of design, in my heart I know I'll most likely be first in line at the T-Mobile store to get either one. Hopefully the real thing will turn out to look better than the leaks but I really do love Windows Phone soon to be Windows 10 Mobile. However, that is not to say they don't have competition. I currently own the Xperia Z3 and the only thing Sony got wrong with the phone is indeed the camera. More specifically, their poor processing of images and the lack of more manual controls like shutter speed, custom color temperature and manual focus.(also RAW capture) If the Z5 being shown off tomorrow in Berlin tackles those issues, I may upgrade to that if it comes to T-Mobile. I have been playing Final Fantasy VIII on my Z3 with my PS3 controller and it is awesome.
Also I'm testing Windows 10 Mobile on my old Lumia 920. I understand that BUILD was mostly for the developers. I'm still waiting for the consumer based event that will further list the new features and capabilities of the future OS. If all Windows 10 Mobile becomes is a nice face lift along with Continuum features, I may just wait it out until the second wave of flagship (Surface phone please) devices arrive and see if the fruits of Microsoft's efforts to port over more apps becomes a reality or not. So basically I'm saying I really love the OS but I'm not unaware of the missing features and remaining questions.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
MS fixed this once before. XBox was late to the market, and before that DirectX was late to the market. Both times MS went out and bought the market. Selling xbox much cheaper than Playstation, and paying studios like ID (think Doom) to develop on their platforms using DirectX. I think they are going to have to do the same thing again here.

The problems is, they have paid developers to make their apps for the Windows Phone platform before, but once the app has been made it has lacked future support. If they attempt to play the same game as they have with the Xbox brand, it doesn't appear that it will have the same result.

SafeSchoolsCzar

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
For now until it goes away or gets really bad. I literally detest Google. Their source of revenue is based on selling the information (both public and private) of their users. Apple makes shiny toys but it's boring. The look and feel of the OS hasn't really changed much since the 1st iPhone. It's expensive and brittle so you take this shiny new toy and wrap it up in a case. Plus $29 for a replacement 3' cord is absurd.

I like WM and will stick with it as long as I can, but I'm not as committed to it as I was since MS made Win10 free & is adopting the Google OS revenue model. Oh well, we probably won't have any say in that stuff no matter who we use anyway.

VinceInSeattle

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been with Windows since the 1980s, Windows Media Player music and mp3 players, Zune, a Windows Mobile 6.x phone, Windows Phone 7, now Windows Phone 8 on a Lumia 920 and will eventually upgrade to Windows 10. This phone is paid for and I will keep it until it drops into the toilet, but then I'll get a cheap Android. I really liked the Zune software and music ecosystem and subscription option, but now there are other options and Zune is gone. And there are just way too many gaps in the activities I do in terms of apps. Maybe all this cross-compiling activity will bear fruit, but I doubt it will be any more successful than any of MS's previous attempts to elicit Windows Mobile/Phone apps. It's just a poke in the eye to see the iPhone and Android badges on so many web pages, w/o a Windows Phone app. That goes for Coursera, my bank, Meet-up, Garmin, Runkeeper, etc. etc.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is again a step behind the competition. They should have announced their flagships before the new Samsung Galaxy devices and the refreshed iPhones in an attempt to convert new users to the ecosystem. I was committed to using my 1520 for the foreseeable future, but a major hardware problem has developed and I'm probably going to grab a Galaxy Note 5 in a couple days. Having digital ink in the smartphone OneNote is amazing. And having access to more apps is just icing on the cake. I hope W10 Mobile is something great, and if a Surface Phone comes around, I might be back. Until then, it's been nice knowing you!

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
@threewulfmoon:
I don't see how it would have helped Microsoft to announce the devices that early? It would only have frustrated the users that, while MS announced their new flagships, they wouldn't be available and all other big manufacturers would have come out with their own offerings in the meantime. If anything, it would have done more harm than good.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Without any hesitation, I will be buying the 950xl (qty 2) and the next SP4 high-end. I love my Windows mobile devices and wouldn't give them up for anyone.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Yup, just waiting for the 950xl to hit the streets. I'll be ordering 3 of them for me and my business partners. We love our windows phones! Recently upgraded to windows 10 on my 1520 and while it still needs some bug squashing I am already hooked on it. It only gets better from here with the Universal Windows Platform(UWP).

Ron Vin

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Dear All, Thank you for joining in this little discussion, this being my first ever threat posting I am amazed how many of you responded in less than 5 days more than 20000+ views and 237 replies. This clearly shows all of us agree on one thing: Microsoft killed off Nokia and left us all in limbo. Thanks Microsoft! With the revelation of WIN10 calling home and now discovering that I see all sorts of ads from my browsing history is absolutely clear that data mining and reselling is MS's strategy just like the other platforms. Of course I will still use my flagship 930 considering there is absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware. If anybody would consider building a CyanogenMod for the Nokia 930 count me in. Otherwise for me WM10 is a still born ugly child.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I am so frustrated by the at&t Lumia 830 debacle that I am on the edge of quitting them. MS said they were taking control of the updates for WP8. Making the same claim for W10Mo doesn't mean much to me at this point.

They are going to need a grand slam with these new W10 devices and so far I'm just not seeing it....

touchblid

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Had a bunch of Lumia models leading up to a 1520 which lasted a year then the battery now dies at 60% charge :/.
In the past I had been dead set on getting Windows phones - now I'm open minded. I've picked up a 640 for 80$ while waiting for the next iPhone and windows flagships.
The 640 has gotten me thinking about why one would actually need a flagship. I literally don't miss anything from the 1520 except the slightly better camera... I might just stop buying flagships altogether and stick with cheap windows phones from now on. The ONE+ is not the real flagship killer, I seriously think it's the 640...

Edit: Looking at the lump flagships, they can't command a price premium of 500$, it's going to fail at that price if you ask me. I know for sure I'm not dropping that kind of money unless it's a Surface phone that's significantly better than the crap Nokia has been putting out the last few years with a warranty as good or better than the iPhones.

if the 950 and 950XL come around between 300 to 400$ they have a chance, at more than that, I'm sticking with the 640 and watching Microsoft Mobile crash and burn then switch to Android in a few years when it will be good enough ... against my better judgment ...

Cheers,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)