Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Alexis Vargas M

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I'm still in the doubt about getting a new Lumia. I just saw the ACER Jade Primo with Windows 10, and I find it really awesome despite the features. But as far as the Lumia 950 and 640, it really shows Microsoft it's not putting all of it's efforts on bringing devices that really show up in front of the rest. The desing it's catastrophically ugly, and the 950 it's pretty much a 930 with the iris scanner. What a joke: another innecessary feature that'll only consume your battery faster, and which you can totally live without, just like the touch ID on Apple. On the other hand, no bigger improvements on RAM or processor, no improvements on the camera, and no big improvements on battery either. Of course there are things Windows Phone do just awesome, like Cortana and apps, the customization of the Start Screen which, for all of those saying it's no more customizable than Apple's and Google's icons, that is really customizable, no just moving icons all over the screen. The Data Sense app, which is unique, the Live Tiles, which are genius. But I don't know, I'm still looking for MSFT to conquer me again, just like they did on 2014 with the 930.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
One year and a half with the "flagship 930" and besides the very good camera, and beautiful amoled screen, the gift of a bluetooth speaker and a ?20 voucher I really think my choice of living without google did not really pay off.

Sorry, I just have to laugh at the thought of someone feeling like they were missing out by not having google as part of their life :) Mostly because google is not a part of my life and I can't imagine having to use them.

I would buy a Microsoft phone if it beats the Lumia1020 in photo taking abilities. Otherwise, I'm waiting. I hate Microsoft least out of the 3, but I would definitely get an Apple phone before seriously considering anything Android. I would consider an iphone if it could beat the 1020's camera but I don't see Apple putting a ton of resources into achieving that. So, I wait...

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm leaning towards getting the 950 XL when it launches.
I gave the 640 XL a spin earlier this year as a trial for Microsoft's offering, and came away satisfied price vs. quality.

It all depends on price if I get the 950 XL or not. The 930 launched over here at around ?540 - which is kind of what I'm prepared to spend, realistic or not.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Definitely I will......I have purchased 730 this year...and sadly last Friday someone stole that.....but now i am surly purchase new windows phone instead of stupid android..windows store got everything i need...as compare to overloaded play store (90% apps are useless).
no hanging problem as in android
lite weight...compared to FAT BOY(android)
Windows is just best.....

overloaded store? 90% useless? Sorry but let's be honest at least...apps on both android and ios are much more complete and with better build quality. no to mention games where wp is lacking even more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kilrathi29

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Sadly no. I love my time with my lumias (I have had three up until now) but I am fed up with the lack of apps (especially about local services). So my next mobile will be a droid one.

Side note: extremely annoyed with Microsoft not making cortana available to everyone)

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I will for a few reasons. I'm invested in the ecosystem of Windows. I know those services are available on iOS and Android and that's part of why I'm staying. Microsoft is being the good guy and making available their stuff to everyone while Apple and Google keep their stuff to themselves. In the long run I think that'll backfire and Microsoft will come out ahead.

I like the idea of Windows 10 and WM10 being able to have synergy with Universal Apps. Too much potential there to mindlessly get an iPhone or roll the dice with Android*.

I would love to see a decked out flagship but I don't think we'll see those this time around. Panos didn't move over to that area until recently and his influence won't be seen until next year. I'll be in the market for a new device by then anyway and Win10/WM10 will be well it's way by then.

I'm happy with Windows in general and the apps that I don't have I don't really care for or need or there is a web app anyway.

*I've had to clean malware off of a few Android devices even to the point of doing a full reset. No thanks. I know my way around doing it on a PC. I don't want that mess on a phone, too.

danmarce

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I have a 1020. I don't have to worry about stuff like "bendgate" or how good is the signal. The phone is good, I have all apps I need, It is compatible with IBM Domino without additional software.

There are plenty of games, and in the end games in the cell phone are just "time killers" (unless you play something like Doom & Destiny), I have Teamviewer and Remote Desktop.

I use Tweetium, that one of the best twitter clients for any platform. I don't care about snapchat, for Facebook the app is enough. Other apps work for what I need so when I was able to run Android apps I discovered that besides some emulators there were no android apps that I wanted to run.

I like the utilitarian design, how easy is to disassemble it. The 1020 has the best camera possible and it is a complement in my photographer stuff (I use the "zoom" (crop of hi-res images) a lot).

Would I buy another Lumia and/or Windows Phone, yes but it has to be a replacement to the 1020 (meaning a big camera). Or if the Surface Phones become a reality, I might get one of those.

The only thing I miss is that being Windows you can't natively connect or browse network shares in a network.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely would. I tried an LG G3 for a bit. Beautiful piece of hardware, but I just couldn't deal with Android after using WP for so long. The OS just seemed so fragmented and the apps were even worse. Plus it didn't work with my car nearly as well as Cortana does. I always amaze people with how I can send and receive calls and SMS via cortana in my car. And it works flawlessly. Android users told me, "there's an app that you can install make that work on the G3". Why?

I ended up buying a nearly new Icon on eBay for $180 to replace my 928. Hope to see something new before year's end!

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I will as soon as we have a flagship. However, I am willing to give them one last chance to see how Continuum will work and whether or not Astoria and Islandwood works or not. If those two projects don't work out, I unfortunately will be moving to iOS. Let's give it 2 years and see.

Why iOS? Because iPhone is become better and better looking device. And increase in size is good since I don't have to readjust after my 1520.

mista_duval

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe... if MS ever closes the app gap. I previously had a Lumia 1520 and I loved it! I took it on vacation and ended up using it as my only camera for stills and video. After a while I just got fed up with the lack of apps. But it's not just the lack of app, it's also quality of the apps in the store. When I was lucky enough to find the app I needed, the quality was usually pretty crappy.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus now. While the UI is a little boring, I know I'll always find the app I need. As far as Windows, I have a Surface and I'm kinda having the same issue. Luckily I can get around that because the thing runs x86 applications.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Feels like living in BETA world as a second class citizen of Mobile operating.

This... Everyone keeps saying it takes time blah blah blah and I agree to a point, yet when MS finds resources to accommodate the competition (Android/IOS) but leaves their own platforms unfinished in the same areas and then being doled out that's when it becomes an issue for me... As I said before, I'm on the fence whether I'll continue the journey, at this point and time for me the negatives outweigh the positives.

Last edited:

Victor Carvalho

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah! Absolutely yes! I love my Lumia 730, and the features WP have are simply everything I need. I was considering moving to Android, but after taking one of the Android phones in my hand I gave up of that idea. For me after so long using WP I just can't migrate to Android. The speed and lightness of the system are impossible to find on Android.

todd miles

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I am going to have a wait and see approach. I'll have to see once WP10 is out in the wild and if companies start shipping apps for it. Far too often you see IOS/Android apps but WP is nowhere to be found

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
If a pen and some high tech scanner (i.e. not fingerprint) aren't on the list of features, I'm out.

Cameras that support Window's Hello are pretty high tech. As for a pen, the Surface Pen's are second to none in my experience. I'd expect something of that nature with the Surface Phone.

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm at the point where I will probably switch to Android and get a Note 5. I've been with WP since the first 7 devices launched (and did WinMo before that) and it's pretty clear MS can't garner support for the platform in any meaningful way. The app gap is real and matters and frankly I'm at the point where I'm pretty much done with caring. I love my 1520 and it sucks but the momentum is just too strong with the other two to make continued use of WinMo valid outside of just being a hardcore fan of the platform. If the apps were there it'd be a different story of course but they're not and universal apps aren't going to magically change this situation like many hope it will. I don't fault anyone for sticking to the platform though and frankly I might still get a prepaid WinMo10 phone to mess around with should it be cheap enough but now that MS has made it so easy to switch platforms (I can get all my MS services on Android as easily as I can on WP now) it's an easy decision for me. I just want the ecosystem and like it or not Apple and Android have it and MS doesn't. I love the tablets though and plan on getting a Surface 4 so I won't be abandoning it altogether.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm at the point where I will probably switch to Android and get a Note 5. I've been with WP since the first 7 devices launched (and did WinMo before that) and it's pretty clear MS can't garner support for the platform in any meaningful way. The app gap is real and matters and frankly I'm at the point where I'm pretty much done with caring. I love my 1520 and it sucks but the momentum is just too strong with the other two to make continued use of WinMo valid outside of just being a hardcore fan of the platform. If the apps were there it'd be a different story of course but they're not and universal apps aren't going to magically change this situation like many hope it will. I don't fault anyone for sticking to the platform though and frankly I might still get a prepaid WinMo10 phone to mess around with should it be cheap enough but now that MS has made it so easy to switch platforms (I can get all my MS services on Android as easily as I can on WP now) it's an easy decision for me. I just want the ecosystem and like it or not Apple and Android have it and MS doesn't. I love the tablets though and plan on getting a Surface 4 so I won't be abandoning it altogether.

Not quite there yet, and will wait a few more weeks to see what's announced, but moving in your direction - Z5 with one note, one drive, groove... mmm

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Not quite there yet, and will wait a few more weeks to see what's announced, but moving in your direction - Z5 with one note, one drive, groove... mmm

Yep and that backs up my point. That I can get all the services I normally use on WP (including Cortana!) and get a superior ecosystem to boot where's the incentive to stay? I really want to see the new Lumias though and I can't upgrade until November but at this point it seems like a formality. Maybe the new phones will wow me though who knows. It's going to take a miracle at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss