Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

rapperman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been with windows phone since the beginning. Got kicked in the teeth like everyone else who bought the Lumia 900. Had the HTC 8X, the Lumia 925, the Lumia Icon and most recently I'm using the Lumia 640. All of these phones were/are excellent devices hardware wise but were hampered by OS feature limitations that make the platform foolish to consider if you are already invested in another ecosystem. Beside the UI there really isn't much difference between the Windows OS and iOS. Pretty much the same features and the same limitations (with the exception of the app situation of course.

I was a big proponent of HERE maps until this past weekend when it failed to get me to and around the Niagara Falls area. Microsoft Maps while appearing identical had navigation information HERE didn't (both updated prior to departure), but I didn't want to take the chance of ending up in an area that wasn't safe for the family so I broke out my Xperia Z1, and Google Maps made the trip an absolute joy.

The Windows OS is aesthetically pleasing, lag free, and more than enough for the average user (much like iOS) but definitely lacks the versatility of Android. While it feels more secure than Android, Microsoft seems impressed by the Google model of generating revenue via advertisements and appears to be going down a similar road. This has already resulted in the feeling of a great loss of privacy for desktop users who have made the switch to Windows 10.

So I guess long story short... I will continue to play with Windows devices because I have the ability to do so, but I more than likely won't be purchasing the next flagship and I'm just as unlikely to make any Windows phone my daily driver for some time to come.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm really finding it hard to believe that people who've made up their minds that they're done with the Windows ecosystem would even be on this forum.

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for someone to convince me that windows phone isn't a dead horse but I don't think that's going to happen.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

BlaDav

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I'm very close to switching to iOS.

My recent history in phones is Lumia 800, Lumia 520, Samsung Note 3(which was enough to put me off Android and Samsung by being a great phone hobbled by awful software), Lumia 830, Lumia 930. I also have an iPad air and the thing about the iPad air is it just works, quickly and consistently all the time. This is one of the reasons I will probably switch, I've never had to close Spotify or Facebook because they are stuck "Loading..." on my iPad like I have to on an almost daily basis on my 930. Also the speed at which apps open negates the lack of live tiles somewhat.

I do think Microsoft have missed a trick by not announcing the new Lumia's yet. I know a few people that had Windows phones and would have gladly bought another however there is nothing out there worth upgrading to and now it seems that it will be announced after the iPhone 6s Microsoft will likely lose more customers.

I'm due an upgrade in February so I should get to see Windows 10 on my 930 by then. Maybe that will change my mine back as the 950 and 950xl are going to have to be exceptional to do it on their own.

But then there is the Surface Phone....

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
stopped reading after this
blaming Microsoft for Instagram's incompetence? not that **** again

Am not blaming to MSFT by lack of app, but is responsible, since this OS at beginning was bad build then don't captured any market share and that cause the lack of apps.

ALSO as you live in America you have no idea of what happens in the rest of the world and tends to think that MSFT does the same good work in elsewhere but by example do you know that Microsoft don't have an store of music, video in my country , Chile, no surely don't know that, or that bing is awful here that cause vomit no neither have or know those facts when you get a phone specially a high end one you also seek the not existent Microsoft services which in my country don't exist and watch that Google and apple have deployed those things here in my country then do you think Microsoft does a good work? also am not fan of MSFT anymore and don't care if like or not my words am not a gold coin

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Just buy a Lumia 735 last week, my third WP and (let's hope not soon) when the time cames, I will buy another WP, no doubt, but a Windows Mobile, because they support their devices better than OEMs working on the platform.

Also, love Windows Phone, it's just great and works amazing for me.

they support their devices better than any other? what a good joke. they supported wp7.5 users very well oh yes, the same with windows rt devices...yes very well..NOT. let's be serious and admit at least true facts not the ones we wish it would be true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oranje

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Well lately I've been eyeing some other phones, strictly stock android (moto X, nexus, nextbit robin looks nice and interesting) but I must say I've gotten used to some features in WP which I really like (first that comes to mind is glance screen, although I believe motorola have something similar in their android). Also extremely important is the actual design of the phone (I have a Lumia 920 at the moment, love the design, only regret is that I didn't manage to get it in yellow) and the camera shutter button, with half press to focus and all, really really love the feel of that on the phone! At this point in time I'm leaning towards a yes, although the leaked renders of the 940/950 family don't look too impressive.. Definitely not going to spend ?800 on an iphone! That I can tell you!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Apart from the camera, I have no complains about my Z3 Compact. The thing has fallen more than half a dozen times and is still unscratched and unbroken. Nokia would actually be proud of the build quality of this phone.
I didn't really like leaving Nokia's hardware behind but since I can't wipe out WP from my Nokias and replace it with Android I didn't have much of a choice.
It's not hatred towards Microsoft that made me leave WP (I use Windows PCs, Surfaces, an Xbos One and even Microsoft services on Android so...).
I left because WP is a piece of cr*p of an OS, specially after all these years. It's no match for the superiority of Android. The only reason I ever put up with it was because it ran on Nokia phones. The moment Nokia left and the hardware became responsibility of Microsoft (which has one of the worst customer services I've ever dealt with) I jumped ship.

As for you, I wish you good luck for the time you have left with WP before Microsoft's shareholders pull the plug on the thing for good ;)
I'm happy on Android and I'll be even happier next year once Nokia releases their first full-blown Android phones.

you can say that again. IT has the worst customer service, or let's say among the worst ones ever! because their customer service is moved to countries like India, Philipines etc becuase of cost reduction and Microsoft does not bother to train those employees right. You as a customer end up talking with someone who knows nothing about anything. They read some standard steps and that is it. No technical knowledge to actually assist you. I've been through these kind of experiences many time with MS customer support, and every time ended up with my issue not even answered, at least 10% of it...nothing. We also have Ms customer support for companies in Romania, but here employees are first trained and trained...and checked before they can actually work. In the company where I work, we also have colleagues in offices in India and there isn' a week without heavy escalation over the poor quality they deliver even though we offered them full training and support.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Short and sweet: Yes I am currently using a Windows Phone and will definitely buy a future one. Also recently got my girlfriend to convert from android to WP with a Lumia 640XL and she loves it in comparison to her old phone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well lately I've been eyeing some other phones, strictly stock android (moto X, nexus, nextbit robin looks nice and interesting) but I must say I've gotten used to some features in WP which I really like (first that comes to mind is glance screen, although I believe motorola have something similar in their android). Also extremely important is the actual design of the phone (I have a Lumia 920 at the moment, love the design, only regret is that I didn't manage to get it in yellow) and the camera shutter button, with half press to focus and all, really really love the feel of that on the phone! At this point in time I'm leaning towards a yes, although the leaked renders of the 940/950 family don't look too impressive.. Definitely not going to spend ?800 on an iphone! That I can tell you!

If glance screen and live tiles is the only thing WP has left to offer...well it's bad and sad. Up until win10 came out I was totally conviced that my 930 running 8.1 was the perfect phone. When I saw what crap is win10 to be and what stupid things Ms is doing with the legacy Nokia has left: camera app and photo algorythms, phone concepts I had to switch. Ms killed even durring 8.1 update most unique things to wp, and very usefull. Everyone knows them, ain't gonna list them here again. I have compared all MS apps that are available on IOS to the same apps on wp. You have to be blind not to see the huge difference and the fact that MS is putting more effort in other platforms than in wp, both in looks of the apps and in features and performance...oh and on PC, I'll be staying on 8.1. 10 is a complete wreck, worst than Vista and Me all together

steve ward1

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Definitely!! My 930 rocks, the photos are superb, the screen is brilliant, w10m is coming along, if a little slow, and i have all the apps i want, including my banks app (Barclays) which is superb. I have all the movie and music apps i could desire, it works perfectly with all my email accounts, and the you tube experience, via metro tube, is far superior to the add infected, region locked, download limited version google offer..plus with Astoria round the corner, if there is anything i am missing I will download the apk, sit back and enjoy. Oh, and very much looking forward to continuum, plus rapid charge, an SD card (which was my only gripe with the 930) i really hope they surprise us with waterproofing too

TheTruQ

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Not getting everyone's fascination over these bank apps...

Just use the web. I can check everything on the web, and if I want banking alerts, etc., those setting are available as well. Apple has fooled everyone with the saying, "there's an app for that".

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Most probably I'll stay if W10m will be fast and fluid and have good battery life.and that future hardware remains of Nokia qulity. I don't need much more from OS, but it would be nice to have some new features.
I can't stand Android because of lag, random crashing, stutter, etc. And don't have money for iPhone.
So WP is only choice.

But, if fast and fluid os is gone, I won't have reason to stay with Microsoft.

anubhav756

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
First I bought my mother Lumia 630. She liked it....Then it broke, and I bought her an HTC android thing....and it crashed. Then I bought her an i5s....and she said, "I need my lumia back!!"

All this time, I had L720....and I love it....waiting for L950 along with my birthday :)

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
yes, in fact, i just bought a replacement lg optimus to replace another one.

i will switch from windows 7.8 to 10 eventually when it comes out, and supports bluetooth keyboards.

later

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
No.
Microsoft took something innovative and boiled it down to a common denominator of ios and android.
The resultant Frankenstein OS feels nothing like the windows phone of yore.

Also, the Windows 10 universal app platform was redesigned as keyboard and mouse first. The net result is that you need the precision of a surgeon to tap with any sense of reliability. I have shaky hands and Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8.1 had the right sized UI elements for each task the OS presented. Now I approach my Windows 10 Mobile test device with the same apprehension that grandma felt with learning any prior version of Windows with a mouse.

I'm a programmer by day, building applications in the enterprise. I say this so people will realize I have almost two decades of experience with the Windows platform.

I'd buy the Sony Xperia z5 as it meets all the specs I'm looking for (IP rating is a must), but alas they support ALEC and my political views are now affecting my spending habitats.

I'll stick with my Lumia 830 running Windows Phone 8.1 as long as my network supports it.

After LTE is supplanted and Windows 10 has had a few incremental updates, I'll review the situation then,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro