Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

MuameR zippoo

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
i bought Lumia 640 two months ago...so i don't know what happened in 1,5-2 years...but everything is possible
i always try to get more for money...now that it is lumia 640...arount 140 euros with one year contract on the lowest monthly contract

Jay Teare

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes as I simply do not like the other options.. IOS is a little basic on the home screen and android never looks uniformed and smart. I use office at school to teach with and as such use a windows based laptop, a SP3. Onedrive talks perfectly with both the phone and the laptop.. my 1520 using windows 10 beta seems to work well, small lag sometimes. BUT everything I do shows on the other without errors, I have used iCloud and it was not as good due to it being app based. Onedrive is a normal window/files system, much better.

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a new wp after the 520 and 925. I really liked it at first (low price, works smooth, nice simplistic design), but I lost the vision of Microsoft with W10m. I'm using the insider version on my lumia 925 for a couple of months, and the look and feel of wp8 seems gone. The smoothness is gone: it's slow and many small and handy features are missing or work more complicated than before.

I really hope MS will work on the user experience to make it feel as before, and with more features and better settings. iOS is too expensive for me and Android is even worse in user experience.

YYou do realize you are running an alpha edition? It's not even a beta lmao...

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Reading some of these comments...damn I wish they would support my win 95 Packard bell machine lolol.

Good lord some serious cry babies here

AllanQuatermain

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
have been with Windows Phone since 7 and through 8.0/8.1 all Nokia and latest a Microsoft 640 on 8.1 and will keep it there, as the Windows Mobile 10 is not for me so 640 will be the last one, Microsoft seems more interested in IOS and Android apps before Windows Phone own and now removing Lumia apps, Microsoft usually ruins things windows 7 on pc was good after the Vista experience then along came 8.1 and now 10, no wonder XP and windows 7 are still being used I have my laptops on both.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The question is, what to buy instead? An iPhone that costs 50% more than it should costs and has the most boring UI ever? Or an android that will get 1 update and will be abandoned? The only smart alternative is a nexus device, but their camera sucks until now. So,I don't know yet. The design of the xl is not bad, but it's so huge... And the design of the 950 is....meeh.

To be fair, iPhones aren't overpriced anymore. Sure, their internals are average compared to their Android competitors (eg Ram) but their OS runs more efficiently than Android so requires less. They have a top results Camera (even with average lens/megapixel), decent sized screen options and a high quality material design with shiny badge. All Flagships use premium flashy designs, something Microsoft have failed to notice with these 950s. Also iPhones retain their value, so even though though your initially paying $150 more for a fruit badge, you will get most of it back at resale. They also offer good customer support with their Apple network of stores which can offer same day swaps on faulty devices.

Having said all this, I just don't think I could live with the restrictions of an iPhone. I hate Apples patronizing adverts and their dumb fans who camp out on launch night. What a way to live your life, stuck in a frozen deck chair just catching a cold, just so you can get a brand a few hours earlier. When ever I see that kind of sad behavior, it turns me off iPhones and everything they stand for.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
In fact Microsoft haven't a good technical support,apple And Samsung has and don't know why Microsoft still in the software business without any, good proper support

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I might not stay waiting to see what new flagships offer
Currently Lumia 920 / reason i got WP/Nokia device was below

1. Great /Best Camera >> no longer the case
2. Best Email experience >> Outlook client on IOS/Android are far more superior than WP10 .
3. Lag Free expereince >> Android/IOS have fixed these issues with either superior hardware / optimising code .
4. Productivity/Office/Work >> Other OS now have same microsoft services similar or better experience.
5. Build Quality of phones >> No longer the case given Nokia division design teams are fired / no longer there , if you look at todays design ie Iphone/Motorola/Samsung ( Lumia design language is 3-4 years behind according to renders )

Some users may argue using cortana , hello feature , continium are best features , but those are not key differentiators for me.

Lost vision from Microsoft
When Wp7 was launched they tried to be apple copied apple ideas locked down OS , charge OEM's for OS installs. soon they realise that Andriod is killing the market share
WP8/8.1/WP10 >> Now they trying more to be andriod / Google
As a result WP10 is turning out to be big mess , although still not feature complete.

Performance issues on WP10 insider builds >> yes its a beta ,my opinion wp10 is going to slow/laggy on older hardware eg 920/925 and 520/530 etc as a result unhappy customers.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, iPhones aren't overpriced anymore. Sure, their internals are average compared to their Android competitors (eg Ram) but their OS runs more efficiently than Android so requires less. They have a top results Camera (even with average lens/megapixel), decent sized screen options and a high quality material design with shiny badge. All Flagships use premium flashy designs, something Microsoft have failed to notice with these 950s. Also iPhones retain their value, so even though though your initially paying $150 more for a fruit badge, you will get most of it back at resale. They also offer good customer support with their Apple network of stores which can offer same day swaps on faulty devices.

Having said all this, I just don't think I could live with the restrictions of an iPhone. I hate Apples patronizing adverts and their dumb fans who camp out on launch night. What a way to live your life, stuck in a frozen deck chair just catching a cold, just so you can get a brand a few hours earlier. When ever I see that kind of sad behavior, it turns me off iPhones and everything they stand for.

Not to mention poor battery life (no removable battery) and no SD card support. That's what holds me back.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention poor battery life (no removable battery) and no SD card support. That's what holds me back.
yeah but also i would stay if Microsoft start to do the things right and i do not mean with the phone or OS, i mean with applications , if Astoria and Islandwood does the work and developers ports their apps to windows Mobile or Phone that would make still, but sincerelly is not much reasons to stay in Windows Mobile, Phone if the same Microsoft cares more about IOS/Android and backstab to their own mobile platform then is not much things or advantages to stay on windows Mobile or windows Phone really, many would tell that Cortana on IOS/ Android offers limited functionality than in their native environment but do not get a lot with have an Cortana that would only be avalaible in Mexico, Japan, some english speak countries, Germany, Italy and France and i will never get for my country the cortana experience and would pass 3000-4000 years to get it in spanish Chile the Version of Cortana.

also i wish to know what game is playing Microsoft with care more of their rivals and less of the own platform

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
yeah but also i would stay if Microsoft start to do the things right and i do not mean with the phone or OS, i mean with applications , if Astoria and Islandwood does the work and developers ports their apps to windows Mobile or Phone that would make still, but sincerelly is not much reasons to stay in Windows Mobile, Phone if the same Microsoft cares more about IOS/Android and backstab to their own mobile platform then is not much things or advantages to stay on windows Mobile or windows Phone really, many would tell that Cortana on IOS/ Android offers limited functionality than in their native environment but do not get a lot with have an Cortana that would only be avalaible in Mexico, Japan, some english speak countries, Germany, Italy and France and i will never get for my country the cortana experience and would pass 3000-4000 years to get it in spanish Chile the Version of Cortana.

also i wish to know what game is playing Microsoft with care more of their rivals and less of the own platform

All I care about is what works for me, not that someone else got something "better". I have used iOS, Android, Blackberry, and WP. Two things I need are long battery life (and/or swappable battery) and an SD slot. iPhone will never have those. Blackberry is reinventing itself. Android is OK but too fragmented.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
but is an smartphone useless without applications now will start to remove some lumia apps , i have an Lumia 820 and works so far good, can not complain about the photo quality and smoothness of OS but the battery life is bad and Microsoft do not do many efforts to lure me to still , now if the porting of apps are sucessful then would consider an new phone that surely would be an Windows Phone but till now all is watch if Microsoft does some effort to keep or retain users

matthew550

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
For the first time in many years, I'm going to have to wait to touch and use the next flagship Windows Phone before buying. I love my Lumia 930; the great photos, the power, the display, the premium feel, etc., and all my other Lumia phones, but I'm not diggin' where WP10 is going. Plus, the leaked pictures of the 950 don't look premium to me, even if the internals are...hence the need to see/touch the real thing before buying. If I'm going to buy a premium-priced phone, I want it to have premium workmanship. My SIM chip is in my BlackBerry Passport and Samsung S6 edge+ more often than not. My iPhone 6+ is with a friend and I don't miss it at all (the OS feels clumsy and sluggish [boring but pretty...] to me). I love the task flow and Android app compatibility of BB10, which may now be my favorite OS, but since it looks as though it's going Android, that OS may be dying. Lollipop doesn't feel bad at all on the SGS6edge+ (I have Nokia's Z Launcher installed, for nostalgic reasons <grin> ). I do want to love the next Lumia phone but I'll wait and watch what the 950 and WP10 turn out to be...and hope to be able to continue to support Windows Phone.

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
No, 3 WPs now and its the same boring platform that doesn't get refreshed. Still can't get the main bank apps etc and I've had several hardware failures in a row. Going back to Apple next time.

ali salehi

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
hell no

i've started to use this titanic os with a Lumia 620... the problem i had with that phone was the battery, slow to start and incomplete applications... so i said ok..buy 8x..it looks much more superior ... the problem got even worst.. Lack of Lumia apps,still slow app opening,getting hot like hell and battery. so i said ok lets buy lumia 630. atleast it's going to get support. big fail. 512 MByte ram was a jock and i couldn't even switch between two simple apps and hey... all the problems except battery problem was there i had lumia apps but my camera was a sad...sad jock. then i heard the ram problem is going to be much worst in windows 10. i was an unhappy user. every time i had major problems with apps quality beside all of the things. and still, i said ok it will be my last shot with windows phone. i bought a Lumia 640xl. and yes. it's the end for me. i've recently used some cheap huawei phones and they look fast, beautiful with no problem with laggs.. and funny thing is that i don't care about os updates anymore. the thing i saw there was so much better than anything wm can get in 4 or 5 years. so good luck with your funny os updates... i'm done buying another windows phone or recommending it to another one.
it was a sad...long... full of disappointing moments road. and now every time i think of wm I'll picture the 2nd half of titanic movie

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am strongly considering it. The 950/xl has to be $500 or less or really wow me on the reveal.

Owned Lumia 900, HTC 8x, Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520 before switching to iphone 6+ last year due to app gap.

After 1 year with the 6+ it's not as necessarily smooth as I expected. imessage drives me nuts. Sometimes they come in as text to/from iphone users, other times it's in imessage. my g/f sometimes misses texts from me because they go to her ipad and not her iphone as an example. The only time I get any kind of data is if I'm on LTE. If I'm 3g, I get no web data at all. Occassional voicemail messages are unplayable, no idea why, the play option is greyed out. My g/f has the iphone 6 and gets better signal. She may have LTE and I will have 3g. It's just not the same experience other iusers say it is.

ALso, I paid $400 on contract fro the 64gb version. IT's basically the same specs as my 1520 with a few design differences and it was so much more expensive.

I have found I do not game at all on my phone like I thought I would so all the games I thought I wanted I never even launched after purchase. My most used apps are available on Windows Phone mostly so it won't be a big step back as far as app gap.

Here's what I do like about the iphone. Finger print reader, hopefully Windows Hello is just as efficient. Apple pay, not many stores support it around where I lives still, but I like it. Passbook, I don't use it much, but I like it for boarding passes. There are a few apps I may miss: bank app, thermostat app, podcastapp and yahoo fantasy football.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12