Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No. I switched to an iPhone 6 last year having had a Samsung Focus, Lumia 800, Lumia 920, and Lumia 1020.

Windows Phone 8.1 was something special. It finally felt right, and they just needed to go a few steps farther to make it perfect. When 8.1 was announced, it seemed momentum was finally picking up for Windows Phone. This was it, the moment had finally arrived. People were talking about Cortana, apps were starting to show up, and then... nothing. No new phones. Slow updates. No international Cortana.

Microsoft blew it.

Windows 10 mobile looks like 'design by committee', meant to appease and interest those from other platforms. It's lost all of the amazing features, functionality, and identity that made me ditch an iPhone for the Focus all those years ago. Its become what Microsoft used to mock about other platforms.

No thanks. I won't be getting a Windows 10 device. I'll stick with my iPhone 6 and the plethora of Microsoft apps that are updated more frequently than their own platform.

To me, the only thing Windows 10 mobile has going for it is Continuum. If it really delivers, than I just might be interested in the platform again.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile will shut the mouth of all haters. Especially like continuum, skype integrated messaging and phone app, universal apps....
Will buy a new windows 10 mobile.....

yeah right what a good joke. continuum on new devices only, and it is not a wow factor for me to buy a new wp device, skype integrated messaging? no thanks, I have imessage,facetime and facebook messenger with great audio and video call, which btw you do not have on wp facebook messenger app. universal apps? what is so great about that if those apps are miles behind their counterparts on ios and android? sorry mate but your reasons are not good, not enough. besides, if I ever gonna spend this year 500-700 ? on a new phone it's sure not gonna be one of those horrible 950/950xl...I work for these money and ain't gonna throw them away on a win10 phone to continue to be a free guineea pig for MS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devilreaper

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I think Chinese vendors like xiaomi are the way forward. I'll chose mi 5 over 950 and install win 10 ROM once its available. Same or better specs at half the rate. I might ditch ms but won't
Leave windows.

benoitgphoto

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
YES!! I have the Lumia 830 and this is the best phone I ever had. Come from iOS with iPhones 3G, 4 and 5. The OS is also much better and fun to use on WP.

ChrisEF

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
100% yes but not at any cost.

930 user here, previously an Apple iSheep and still an Android user with my works phone. For me personally WP fits in with my life so much easier than anything else and personally the quality of the OS is far superior than the others. Reason why I would consider another WP as long as price is realistic;
  • I am happy with the camera (and I am TOG), far superior to Apples offerings.
  • My bank DOES provide WP application (Maybe change bank if not, after all its free, quick and easy).
  • If my phone breaks, it doesnt require a mortgage to replace it unlike Apple
  • more secure than Android
  • proper, reliable maps (Here)
  • Cortana far superior than Siri

Basically my phone needs to fit in with my life and the others dont. Everyone has different needs so different phones, OS's etc will suit different people.

anon(261916)

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I would not recommend it to anyone because in my experience with users, the lack of apps is a significant disadvantage.

Aside from usage scenarios common to any smartphone platform (eg: making calls, checking email and using turn-by-turn directions, etc), the iOS/Android app marketplaces are a key distinguishing factor because banking apps and medical apps (eg: companion apps for blood-pressure cuffs, CPAP machines, etc) rarely appear on anything outside the iOS and Android platforms.

Since you can get an Android phone as cheap as a Windows Phone, why limit yourself to an ecosystem that doesn't offer the breadth of apps available on the Google Play Store?

Its not simply a case of enumerating your needs before purchase; a significant part of the smartphone market is the availability of apps. Your needs will almost certainly change during the two-years or more that you are on contract.

The enthusiasts and visitors of Windows Central are not a representative sample.

In that vein, if Microsoft ever produces a Microsoft Mobile phone which contains a pen/stylus with deep OneNote integration then I'd buy it in a heartbeat but I wouldn't use it as a daily driver because it lacks so many of the apps I use every day. But what percentage of the smartphone marketplace would share my enthusiasm?

sabuXXX

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
An opinion from nuremberg germany:
i won`t buy a new windows phone......why? Because for me it seems, that Microsoft under Sadellas guidance doesn`t care about consumers any more. They stopped several lumia apps....the new browser edge on my surface pro 3 is a catastrophe! I`ve seen a instable program like that about 10 years ago. At the IFA in Berlin Microsoft showed nothing, windows 10 for phones is still not presented, the new lumias, which were leaked, don`t look to me like highend phones. They look ugly.....after a benefon Q, a lumia 800, a lumia 820 und my recent lumia 925 i won`t get an another microsoft device, enough is enough. possably i will get a zte nubia z9 or a galaxy edge plus

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
An opinion from nuremberg germany:
i won`t buy a new windows phone......why? Because for me it seems, that Microsoft under Sadellas guidance doesn`t care about consumers any more. They stopped several lumia apps....the new browser edge on my surface pro 3 is a catastrophe! I`ve seen a instable program like that about 10 years ago. At the IFA in Berlin Microsoft showed nothing, windows 10 for phones is still not presented, the new lumias, which were leaked, don`t look to me like highend phones. They look ugly.....after a benefon Q, a lumia 800, a lumia 820 und my recent lumia 925 i won`t get an another microsoft device, enough is enough. possably i will get a zte nubia z9 or a galaxy edge plus

That's why I like Germany. Deutsche Leute wissen wann Qualit?t fehlt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pandollar

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
No, I have just put my 640 on ebay and bought a One+One, best decision I've made for a while. I initially like the 640 but recently after trying w10m previews I didn't like the way it was going and yes I know it's not the finished product! Couldn't be more pleased with the 1+1 now, plenty of Roms to try and the bit that irked me most about Windows mobile is that the MS Android apps work better than they do on wm10. So no I won't be returning to windows phone again.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I am in search of the perfect phone for me, one that has a solid unibody design. I have a Lumia 830 and I hate it - did I say I hate it? The flimsy back cover unclips (how does it do that???), the glass hits the ground, the battery flies nicely off in another direction, but the back -- now there's a loyal hero - remains steadfastly in my hand. I love crawling around to retrieve all the pieces, in front of people is particularly fun.
Yet, due to my love affair with my HTC8X, I will continue the quest for the perfect Windows Phone - in my case, just one that doesn't fly apart would do.
To be part of the app discussion, I'm exhausted. I just don't want to try a new app to see if it's fun, or because my friends love it, or because just maybe it'll make my life easier. I'm kind of old school and don't want to be staring at my phone all the time and miss what's going on around me (I'll probably get slapped here - or called a dinosaur). And learning a new OS is time consuming and for me, unnecessary. I left iPhone a few years ago to streamline my life, and I'm happy. I don't need a new app. For anything.

Last edited:

destonic

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
No. Too much time passed since the Windows Phone was created and still it lags behind big players. Just there are too many elementary problems and too many promises which are not kept.

arriven

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Moto G (3rd gen) is next in line after my 1520. I hate to say it but I'm missing out on a lot of communication with my friends by not having snapchat and I feel bad every time somebody asks me if I have it and I have to explain why I don't (it's Windows Phone, not a personal choice).

Also, after seeing how MSFT treating the other platforms and placing them above WP there is no doubt in my mind that Android/iOS will continue to get vastly more developer interest. I saw a colleague use Solidworks eDrawings on his iPhone 5 to visualize a model with augmented reality. No way that cool stuff is EVER coming to Windows Phone.

Period. Windows might be the most productive desktop/laptop OS, but it is the least productive mobile OS, that crowns to iOS and Android is always on its heels.
I will, however, continue to use MS services exclusively. They talk to one another very well and I have only had too many disappointing experiences with Google services. Basically my perfect phone is an Motorola Android with all MS services.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Moto G (3rd gen) is next in line after my 1520. I hate to say it but I'm missing out on a lot of communication with my friends by not having snapchat and I feel bad every time somebody asks me if I have it and I have to explain why I don't (it's Windows Phone, not a personal choice).

Also, after seeing how MSFT treating the other platforms and placing them above WP there is no doubt in my mind that Android/iOS will continue to get vastly more developer interest. I saw a colleague use Solidworks eDrawings on his iPhone 5 to visualize a model with augmented reality. No way that cool stuff is EVER coming to Windows Phone.

Period. Windows might be the most productive desktop/laptop OS, but it is the least productive mobile OS, that crowns to iOS and Android is always on its heels.
I will, however, continue to use MS services exclusively. They talk to one another very well and I have only had too many disappointing experiences with Google services. Basically my perfect phone is an Motorola Android with all MS services.
This is happening to me as well man. The more exclusive things there are on android and iOS, the more tempted I am to switch...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire