Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Definitely. I deal with all three mobile OS's and frankly, Google is annoying and the constant privacy violation creeps me out. iOS is a mess that looks just like the infuriating menus that Comcast uses for their cable boxes. To be fair, Comcast copied them from iOS, but they did that 5 years a go and neither has improved much. And when your mobile acts like it was designed by the most hated company in America - well, time to get a different one.

The App issue is annoying for a few things like Banks etc, but I have switched to ones that support WinMoPhone. And when using WinMo10 I'm really hoping that their websites will actually be functional as well. I also see more and more third parties making Apps that fill in the gaps, and primary manufacturers pushing out WinMoPhone Apps sooner that they used to. Sure iOS and Android get them first, but we're not being totally ignored as we used to be.

If the new phones this fall are as good as they look to be I'll very happy, except for the camera specs falling behind the Lumia 1020 - which MS promised wouldn't happen. That's a big issue for me. However, its not likely I can get a better camera phone from Apple or Google so its not going to make me switch, just upgrade my L1020 as soon as the builds are complete.

Sorry that the UK Cortana voice is so bad. Funny 'cause the US version is very nice and I thought MS was trying to make people happy in terms of regional experience. Might drop them a line and let them know. Even better, post a video demonstrating what you don't like about it so they migth hear form you.

Keep the faith Bro!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
With windows 10 for phones, the browser actually works well with sites built for android and iOS. Can't we all just use the mobile sites till the apps come?

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Still rocking my 1520.3 and its working like a charm nearly 2 years into owning it. back backlight stopped working which was unfortunate but thats what happens when you drop it. definitely on the fence about changing platforms. whoever innovates with tech that is useful in daily life will have my money. taptic feedback seems like a gimic to me from using it on the apple watch and the new samsung phones arent impressive to me. oneplus 2 isnt either considering the specs will be out of date sooner. cmon microsoft or whoever and make a device that everyone wants.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i am testing the TP on a lumia 520 and no is not like you say, already still troubles with certain websites even there are sites that cause the browser gets closed itself or mobile chat rooms where is a mess

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely. I deal with all three mobile OS's and frankly, Google is annoying and the constant privacy violation creeps me out. iOS is a mess that looks just like the infuriating menus that Comcast uses for their cable boxes. To be fair, Comcast copied them from iOS, but they did that 5 years a go and neither has improved much. And when your mobile acts like it was designed by the most hated company in America - well, time to get a different one.

The App issue is annoying for a few things like Banks etc, but I have switched to ones that support WinMoPhone. And when using WinMo10 I'm really hoping that their websites will actually be functional as well. I also see more and more third parties making Apps that fill in the gaps, and primary manufacturers pushing out WinMoPhone Apps sooner that they used to. Sure iOS and Android get them first, but we're not being totally ignored as we used to be.

If the new phones this fall are as good as they look to be I'll very happy, except for the camera specs falling behind the Lumia 1020 - which MS promised wouldn't happen. That's a big issue for me. However, its not likely I can get a better camera phone from Apple or Google so its not going to make me switch, just upgrade my L1020 as soon as the builds are complete.

Sorry that the UK Cortana voice is so bad. Funny 'cause the US version is very nice and I thought MS was trying to make people happy in terms of regional experience. Might drop them a line and let them know. Even better, post a video demonstrating what you don't like about it so they migth hear form you.

Keep the faith Bro!

Wow, switching banks because they didn't support WP?! Now that's dedication, awesome!

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Wow, switching banks because they didn't support WP?! Now that's dedication, awesome!

LOL

I did too, but to be fair, it was just the tip of the iceberg of my hate for Bank of America. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with Wells Fargo over the last year and a half and their so worked great (it's even updated every one in a while).

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
i am testing the TP on a lumia 520 and no is not like you say, already still troubles with certain websites even there are sites that cause the browser gets closed itself or mobile chat rooms where is a mess

Some of those problems have just started somewhat recently, like the crashes and pull down menus not functioning. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next update. Edge on the PC isn't that great right now either.

ilabene

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to stay with Microsoft Mobile/Windows Phone/Windows Mobile until they don't make it anymore. I feel tied into it thanks to Xbox/Groove Music Pass. But I also like the simplicity and fluidity of it. And I'm not worried about apps (or lackthereof) seeing as how I don't have friends to use them with. :evil:

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not. Microsoft has done a really REALLY poor job with this platform. I loved my 1520 except for the browser and lack of apps. It's camera is so much better than my iPhone 6 that I bring it with me on vacations and special occasions. The innovations to this platform have taken too long. Everything is tied to the release or update of Windows. And over the years I waited patiently for my HTC Arrive, Lumia 900 and 1520 to get major updates that didn't really add anything that the other platforms didn't already have. Losing my banking app didn't help. My 1520 has a terrible browser experience. Websites don't render properly or take too long to load. My iPhone is boring but works flawlessly. There is an app for almost every service, manufacturer or retailer that I use. If there isn't one, Safari handles the web like it should. Touch ID. Apple Pay. Updates in a consistent and painless way. I asked if my 1520 would get Windows 10 and was told to use the Insider program. That's not the level of support that retains customers. After my experience with the Windows Phone 7/7.5/8/8.1 platforms and experiencing what Apple has to offer (iPhone 6) and what Android has to offer (Moto E) Microsoft doesn't have a chance with selling phones. They do however make excellent apps. Outlook, OneNote and Xbox One Smartglass are superior to what's available on Windows Phone. I can access notes in OneNote right from the notifications center on an iPhone but not a Windows Phone. Good luck if you decide to stick with Windows Mobile/Phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I asked if my 1520 would get Windows 10 and was told to use the Insider program. That's not the level of support that retains customers.

And who told you that? I can go ahead and tell you that they based it on unsubstantiated rumors.
That's some serious sugar coating regarding iPhone and not exactly the experience I have with my iPhone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
And who told you that? I can go ahead and tell you that they based it on unsubstantiated rumors.
That's some serious sugar coating regarding iPhone and not exactly the experience I have with my iPhone.
The answer is here.
For many users, the natural question was What about my phone? For example, many Lumia 1520 users are wondering why they are not getting Windows 10 Mobile. The short answer is you are getting Windows 10 Mobile if you opt into the Windows Insider program.

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not. Microsoft has done a really REALLY poor job with this platform. I loved my 1520 except for the browser and lack of apps. It's camera is so much better than my iPhone 6 that I bring it with me on vacations and special occasions. The innovations to this platform have taken too long. Everything is tied to the release or update of Windows. And over the years I waited patiently for my HTC Arrive, Lumia 900 and 1520 to get major updates that didn't really add anything that the other platforms didn't already have. Losing my banking app didn't help. My 1520 has a terrible browser experience. Websites don't render properly or take too long to load. My iPhone is boring but works flawlessly. There is an app for almost every service, manufacturer or retailer that I use. If there isn't one, Safari handles the web like it should. Touch ID. Apple Pay. Updates in a consistent and painless way. I asked if my 1520 would get Windows 10 and was told to use the Insider program. That's not the level of support that retains customers. After my experience with the Windows Phone 7/7.5/8/8.1 platforms and experiencing what Apple has to offer (iPhone 6) and what Android has to offer (Moto E) Microsoft doesn't have a chance with selling phones. They do however make excellent apps. Outlook, OneNote and Xbox One Smartglass are superior to what's available on Windows Phone. I can access notes in OneNote right from the notifications center on an iPhone but not a Windows Phone. Good luck if you decide to stick with Windows Mobile/Phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep those are my thoughts exactly. I just switched to a Note 5 and the differences are startling to say the least. The Google play store is heads and shoulders above the WP store. Chrome blows away IE. Pages render properly and fast. Personalization on Android is heads and shoulders above WP. I still have all my MS services on my home screen. MS even does widgets and they make using their apps a better experience. Their apps run better also. It's very interesting to see how MS treats their android customers. Their store page has better discoverability on Android too. I could go on but really there's no need. I've been with WP since the beginning and I'm just tired of waiting. The app gap is real regardless of what people try to say. I can't see them catching up. Sucks too because I love WP. Maybe once they wake up and realize they don't need to control the OS they can just push a tiles launcher. Arrow isn't a bad start for them.

Valtheus

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes i will, if the 10 version feels better than 8.1, android and iOS. I used to be a long time iOS user, jumped to android a couple years ago and discovered 8.1 a few months back with the 640. I don't use many apps anymore so i really don't care about the so called "app gap", i got everything i need. Live tiles, dark theme, basic apps, things that make the platform interesting for me, compared to the boring icon based whitish alternatives.

Personally i am not a fan of any platform, so i will choose what i like best (os and hardware) when its time for a new device. Right now i love my 640.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
If you're carrier doesn't release the update, the firmware wouldn't come anyway. Updates for a two year old poorly selling device is slim to none.

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Whats with the fetish of the lack of apps. I been using for a while now and I can't think of hardly anything that I want to do that I cannot do because there is "app" and the "app gap" exists. I really cannot think of a situation. I think this whole app gap nonsense is propagated and thrown around by trolls over and over. How many goddamnn calculator apps you need? LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon